As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Knights had no meaning in this game. It wasn't a game for knights." [L.A.Noire]

spool32spool32 Contrary LibraryRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
It was dark, like the inside of a Derringer. It was raining, the kind of rain that you can't see in the dark, but you can hear it hissing on the end of your cigarette. Across the street a guy stood under a lamppost like he fell out of it. He shrugged the rain off his shoulders and touched his hat when he caught sight of me. I could see he had something in his hand, something I wanted. Something I needed.

And he knew it.

I crossed the street, puddles soaking my toes. These shoes cost five hundred dollars. I didn't care.
"What have you got there, Sam?", I said through the rain.
Houser had the grace to look a little guilty. "L.A. Noire."
"I know it is, Sam. It's raining and the sun went down hours ago. Now let me see what you've got before I call my friend."
"Who's your friend?"
"His name is Colt."
"Easy, easy." He took a half step back and banged his shoulders into the lamppost. I smoked my cigarette and waited.
"It's a game, just a game," Houser stumbled over his words as much as he did over his feet.
"Just a game?"
"Take a look, mack. You tell me..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LfZq_OdU80

"That looks pretty damned good, Sam," I said, because it was true. Too true.
"I know! We reinvented facial movement, and did it so well that reading expressions can be part of the game itself, not just part of the graphics."
I read his expression. He looked pretty serious, but I wanted proof.
"Oh yeah? That's hard to believe, Sam."
"We get that a lot. Watch this and then see if you're convinced."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO03FXjPY3A

It was convincing, but I wasn't sold yet. Sure, the game looked like an open world extravaganza, sure it was a leap forward from GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption, but what about the story? The mechanics? I'm no easy mark.
"How do I know you're not shining me on with cinematic trailers, Sam? Let's see some gameplay."
"Hey, sure, you're no sucker. How about this?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aJymtKwNHs

I was sold. The rain came down out of the LA sky. I threw the cigarette in the street and reached for Sam's game. Instead, I got a face full of revolver.
"Not so fast, mack," he said over the barrel. His finger was on the trigger. I didn't move.
"Some kind of problem?" I tried to sound casual. It didn't work.
"What, you think because we showed this game as a 60 minute film at Tribeca, you can just walk up to me on the street and take a copy?"
"You want money? I've got money."
"Forget it, mack. You're going to wait, just like the rest of the world."
I didn't want to wait and I said so. He poked me in the forehead with the revolver. Suddenly, I wanted to wait.

"You're a tease, Sam, just like they said. When can I get the game?"
"Ask me again on May 17th. Now get out of here."

I got out of there. It was dark, and it was raining, and I had a lot of drinking to do before May.

spool32 on

• Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nice write up. Game looks pretty great.

Is this PS3/360 only?

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Keep the change, ya filthy animal.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm extremely extremely excited for this game (also I can't believe we didn't have a thread for it yet?!)

I'm going to go against my usual policy of pre-ordering games is retarded and probably do it form gamestop so I can get the extra mission + badge collection game

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This game led to me watching The Lady Vanishes last week. Hitchcock's version, of course.

Pretty awesome movie.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey, it's Ken from Mad Men!

This looks great.

metaghost on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Totally not trying to be a dick, but there's another thread. It just happened to slip to page 4 because the last comment was made on the 19th.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=131558

I could care less, tbh. I love the game and will post where ever the action is.

Decoy on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Awww! I looked for 7 pages... How'd I miss it?

Oh well... New thread?

spool32 on
  • Options
    MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, but this one has the best quote in the title.

MrMiscreant on
    LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hadn't seen that gameplay trailer.... now I'm more pumped...

May 17th is the same day The Witcher 2 comes out....dammit all.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    One thing I haven't seen yet is the actual method by which you interact with the NPCs while you're interrogating them. Is it going to be a DA2 "Wheel of Morality" style interface? I'm wondering how they integrate the dialog options into the game itself without losing the pacing.

spool32 on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    spool32 wrote: »
    One thing I haven't seen yet is the actual method by which you interact with the NPCs while you're interrogating them. Is it going to be a DA2 "Wheel of Morality" style interface? I'm wondering how they integrate the dialog options into the game itself without losing the pacing.

The gameplay video appears to demonstrate what you're curious about, as it shows you have three buttons to control whether you consider the suspect has told a Lie, the Truth, or you have some Doubts. You can then bring up your notebook at certain moments to pursue a different line of inquiry, and I guess the notebook can fill out (as well as eliminate) options as you move through the interrogation.

So, not really a Wheel of Morality.

metaghost on
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pretty much cannot wait for this to come out.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Gamestop is offering a great deal on trade-ins... if you have two titles in their list, they'll knock $50 off the price!

spool32 on
  • Options
    NismoGrendelNismoGrendel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I want to get this for my little brother, he has PS3 and 360. Any idea which version will be the best? I know in the past when (most) games came out on both 360 and PS3 the 360 version ended up looking/running a little better.

NismoGrendel on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I want to get this for my little brother, he has PS3 and 360. Any idea which version will be the best? I know in the past when (most) games came out on both 360 and PS3 the 360 version ended up looking/running a little better.

Well it appears to be single player, so I guess it doesn't matter...

See what I did there?

spool32 on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Supposedly the PS3 is getting exclusive content, and it was originally going to be a PS3 exclusive. If there are any performance differences, like most games these days they'll likely be minimal at best.

Wait, we already have another LA Noire thread....:?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire