As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Request for a personal piece of art.

Saint MajikSaint Majik Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Artist's Corner
hello, i guess i'll get right to it. my name is michael j. kneubehl and i had an idea for a piece of art that i would love to have done, but since i lack considerably in the drawing department i was hoping i could get someone to possibly sketch me one up. i dont see a way to contact Tycho nor Gabe directly so i guess i will make this forum post. i talked to both Gabe & Tycho at SDCC 2010 about getting something personal made up, but they didnt know what the logistics of doing something like that in a timely manner would be, they are crazy busy! also i hadnt even had this idea yet, so yes... if someone could help me out with this it would be appreciated more than you know... but im getting ahead of myself. the piece im looking to get done is of myself sitting on a clouded ground near the pearly gates to get into heaven reading a comic book with a halo on my head, also with a stack of comics up to knee or so. i was thinking one leg up and the other either laying on its side on the ground or just stretched out forward. also i want a man standing there holding two red roses kinda looking at the gigantic line of ppl that are in line awaiting to see if their name is in the book, the line would go wayyy back and would probably be a vanishing point (look at me acting like i know what im talking about haha). anyway the man would just be standing there with a smile on his face, diligently waiting in his military outfit (you can check it out in the attached pic), standing to the right of where id be sitting also with a halo. i was also thinking that the pic could be done in a black and white sketch style with the only color being a yellow glow from any and all halos in the pic and the red of the roses.

if youre wondering what all of this is about, im in love with a girl whose father (the man with the roses) passed away a year or so ago and i myself am in failing health as i have Cystic Fibrosis and i am going to turn 30 this year. lungs only work at a combined 19% and my pancreas is shot so i also have Diabetes... so my time is coming soon, im not too worried about it, but i want to do what i can to alleviate any pain that my passing might cause ya know? this girl i love is also my best friend so we share everything and she also tells me that she loves me, which is the best feeling in the world.

Images of her father:

26188_578274017546_47505523_33640271_6702685_n.jpg

183905_621171944756_47505523_34797070_6805807_n.jpg

Images of myself:

IMG_1522.jpg

SAM_0007.jpg

170033_1879094736289_1208892131_32306396_2212508_o.jpg

if anyone actually takes it upon themselves to sketch something up and you need to get ahold of me for more reference material or just to contact me in general my email is:

jimraynor5@gmail.com

thanks to any and all that read my post,

michael

Saint Majik on

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2011
    Usual rules waived in this instance guys, anyone who wants to help should feel free.

Tube on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You're a good dude, tube. <3

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Saint MajikSaint Majik Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i wasnt aware that i had violated some conduct code. my bad, but thank you for your kindness :)

Saint Majik on
  • GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm moved by your compassion and your conviction, man. Your idea sounds really solid too and you put a lot of thought into it.

I have finals and some deadlines coming up for the next week or so. I would love to contribute something to this cause and will let you know by e-mail if I have more free time to do so.

Thanks for expressing this idea with us and I wish you all the best.

@Saint Majik: Normally, asking for artwork isn't allowed. This is a forum where artists get together to discuss and critique their work/ideas. Tube has been kind enough to let this stay up for us to see.

GurtPerk on
    edited April 2011
    @ GurtPerk: thanks man. any and effort given is much appreciated.

thanks again,

michael

Saint Majik on
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This was really moving. I really hope someone does this for him.

That second picture alone would make a great sketch....or painting.

I wish I had the skills to do it, but alas my drawing never progressed much beyond stick figures. Also, love the tattoo.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'll try to do this

I need a few points clarified though
    - are you sitting on the ground with your legs over the comic book stack?
    - where are you positioned (both of you)? are you at the gates, or way far back? (I ask because obviously if you're at the back and the line goes into the horizon, it'd be impossible to show the gates)

also I should add that I'm really not very good with getting people's likenesses right, but I'll do what I can

Tam on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    :^: Tam, if you send me the lines when you are done, I'll try and slap some color on it.

Iruka on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Awesome, guys. I can't wait to see what you manage to make with this request.

Grifter on
    edited April 2011
    @ Tam: i am sitting on the ground with the stack of comic books beside my leg with my back kinda against the big fence/wall (your choice) that the gates are connected to. as for position we are both just kinda waiting by the gate, waiting for her to show up in line. so we can see her again :)

thanks again,

michael

Saint Majik on
    edited April 2011
    ok, so are the two of you inside the gate at this point, looking out for her in the line of people coming in? or are you outside waiting for her so that you can all go in together?

Tam on
    edited April 2011
    outside waiting for her. so we can all go in together. i prolly shouldve mentioned that before eh? heh. thank you for taking interest in this. i know i keep saying "thank you thank you thank you", it just blows me away that someone is actually willing to help me with this.

also i finally found the pic i had taken of the guys and myself at the 2010 San Diego Comic-Con:

37873_1569325952263_1208892131_31646385_4734489_n.jpg

Saint Majik on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You are in good hands - Tam is a beast

*edit

Menace - Oh snap, I didn't even see Iruka was doing colors

Wassermelone on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Indeed you are, you have yourself a dream-team!
    Tam has some mean lines and Iruka's colors are gorgeous.

m3nace on
    edited April 2011
    unfortunately, it is becoming apparent that I don't know too much about composition
    if anyone wants to point out some ways to improve this, I'd be grateful
    also, Michael, please let me know if you're satisfied with the way the figures of you and her dad are positioned

196mie.jpg

Tam on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    if anyone wants to point out some ways to improve this, I'd be grateful

Don't wanna meddle with your drawing Tam, and i'm not sure if this is an improvement.. But since you asked for any help:
    heavenlygates.jpg
    Perhaps snake the path around a bit? so that the composition becomes a bit more centered.
    Can't do a better thumb at the moment (no wacom near).

Also, having the path really crowded could take some of the focus off the main people in the picture. Perhaps lose the crowd? or place them a bit nearer to the back?

just my 2 cts.

The_Glad_Hatter on
    edited April 2011
    oh hey I like that
    I guess I was stuck on the idea of the wall being nearby
    also Michael wants a long line of people snaking into the horizon toward the gate, so that's gotta be in there somewhere

but I guess I could put the line further off

Tam on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    oh hey I like that

Glad you do. I was pretty nervous about my first paintover ever. All meddlin' and stuff.

Perhaps start the line on the 2nd hill? So micheal and her dad aren't cluttered by the crowd?
    Of just have a blurry crowd in behind them.

also, i mirrored it so that you'd read it from them onto the gates when going L -> R

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This thread warms my heart. I wish I could draw worth a dick.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited April 2011
    wow, i kinda like a melding of the two actually... lets see if i can describe this right. i like how Hatter has it set up, but i also like how Tam has the wall behind the two of us. so basically if you just add the wall back in that would be fantastic. blurring the crowd sounds like an interesting idea as well.

ill keep checking this daily

thank you guys :) ,

michael

Saint Majik on
    edited April 2011
    Michael could you get another few pictures of your girlfriend's dad? The two you posted are pretty different, so I need to see some more to get an idea for his face type

Tam on
  • aivesaives Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    I don't usually post on these forums, but I was genuinely touched by this request. Also, Ii don't want this to be seen as me thinking that my idea as superior to what has been posted.

This is merely what I pictured when i read the original post and the subsequent clarifications. Take it or leave it. (can't find my wacom pen so I had to sketch them up and upload pictures, pardon the quality)

First attempt: I'm not a fan of how zoomed out it is, or the angle, but it might lead you to something so I thought I would post it.
    2zeczgz.jpg

Second attempt: This is a lot closer to what I had in mind, and it allows for more focus on the primary characters, but the composition is not centered.
    33mqvpd.jpg

Also, ignore the shadow thing, I was thinking if Saint wanted it, a shadow from the gate door could be used to kind of set the mood. After consideration though, I doubt he wants her to look at this picture and think that they are sadly awaiting her arrival.

Anyway, my thoughts. Take them, leave them, go out to dinner with them and don't call back. Do whatever floats your boat.

aives on
    edited April 2011
    those are the only pix ive ever seen of him. there seems to be a 100 pix of everyone but him around, ill keep looking tho

@aives, i do like the way we are waiting by the actual gates & how it's off-centered like you said

Saint Majik on
    edited April 2011
    Michael could you get another few pictures of your girlfriend's dad? The two you posted are pretty different, so I need to see some more to get an idea for his face type

If it helps, his facial structure in the second one is thrown way off by his hair style and camera angle. Also military buzz cut's make you look like a babyface when you're young.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Souper awesome guys! Tam you r mai faevrit ++ <3

ninjai on
    edited April 2011
    wow i still can't find any different pictures of him. maybe ill have to just go overt and ask her grandma if she has any hidden away anywhere

Saint Majik on
    edited April 2011
    Then I'm going to try and do a few traces and see if I can't get the hang of the general shape of his face

does this look about right?
    also, I can put in the wall if you want, but I haven't found a way to do it that wouldn't make the picture look really awkward

2q179ti.jpg

Tam on
    edited April 2011
    Just as a neutral 3rd party, tam, that looks spot the fuck on.

bowen on
    edited April 2011
    wow, i agree with bowen, that looks amazing.

as for the wall, i can take it or leave it. it isnt essential in getting the message across

also, just a small detail that i forgot to mention earlier, if youre looking for something to put on the cover of the comics either Star Wars or Captain America would be awesome. if you cant work it on there though it's no big deal. it was just an extra lil detail that mightve popped up later.

Saint Majik on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tam <3

F87 on
    edited April 2011
    Lookin' good Tam!

The_Glad_Hatter on
    edited April 2011
    another side note, you probably can't tell it from the pictures i've provided, but more often than not i'm wearing a pull-over hoodie.

Saint Majik on
    edited May 2011
    Michael, my computer's GPU is overheating and has pretty much rendered my laptop useless. It works in 10 minute bursts. I'm posting from a friend's netbook at the moment. If you can bear with me, I might be able cobble together a machine to try and finish this up, but it's going to take me a while (~ 2 weeks).

Again, really sorry. If anyone wants to pick this up and can get the drawing to Michael faster, please feel free.

Tam on
    edited May 2011
    it's ok man, excellency should not be rushed :)

Saint Majik on
    edited May 2011
    cant wait to see the next step of evolution of this piece :)

Saint Majik on
    edited May 2011
    That's unfortunately going to take me a while
    I can't get a new computer right now and I have to wait to get the hardware I need to get my drawing program off my defunct computer

Tam on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Any way you can send me the psd of what you had? I can try and do some painting on what you had going on already.

Iruka on
    edited June 2011
    dont know if anyone is following this anymore, but i just recently finished all the tests and am finishing up all the interviews with various higher-ups that are on the committee that deal with lung transplants. i was told that the tests make me a prime candidate for transplant, but the interviews are a big part of candidacy as well. if you dont have a decent support structure (family, friends... whoever that are willing to help you through your recovery process) then they wont even consider you. kinda crazy...

Saint Majik on
    edited June 2011
    That is kinda crazy. But you do have a family and support structure, right, Michael? Also, I promise, at the very latest, you'll have the completed drawing by July 8.

Tam on
    edited June 2011
    nice. im not gonna hold you to that, cuz i know things come up, but that would be awesome.

also, as for my support structure, yes i believe i have a great one. i have a mom who is an RN and is very involved in my day-to-day stuff and i have a good group of friends that dont mind driving me places or doing things for me (such as giving insulin and whatnot). so yeah, i told the social workers that and hopefully i got the point across. i got one last visit in a couple of weeks... my psyche eval... this should be good haha :)

Saint Majik on