As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Portal 2 - Rated E for Everyone With Parents - New easy map editor and Steam Workshop!

AlegisAlegis ImpeckableRegistered User regular
edited May 2012 in Games and Technology
:!: New Map Editor! Easy to use! With a Portal 2 Workshop to browse for downloads!
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=620&browsesort=trend

:!: Bunch of Community Map spotlight downloads here
:!: OST Part 3 out! http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php
E2AWy.png

Welcome to the Aperture Science Enrichment Program!

Hello. It's been a long time.

Cave Johnson here. At Aperture Science we're very proud of our previous Portal product, critically acclaimed as a small but perfect nugget. So this time around we made a new short set of perfect puzzle chambers and then destroyed them so we could shred the set pieces, mix some new stuff in and reassemble it, cutting out all the perfect parts. We invite you to test our Portal 2 program with either PC, Mac, PS3 or Xbox 360 technology - right now! You'll soon discover why we got the game contract from Valve over Black Mesa. Those folks will never get Episode 3 out the door.

The Map Editor SDK program is open for testing! Think you're better than us at creating test opportunities! Ha! We'd like to see you try!
You can find some custom maps over here. We do not however under any circumstance guarantee the quality you'd expect from Aperture Science.

The lab boys tell me I should remind you that the co-op test campaign can be played cross-platform with test participants using either PC, Mac or PS3 equipment. We're showcasing some of our newest inter-Steam and PSN technology in our latest enrichment program.
If you're part of the control group using Xbox 360 equipment you should know you can only test with other Xbox 360 technology test groups. We had to separate the groups after test participants showed signs of throwing chairs and chanting the same word over and over again. If you still find yourself throwing chairs and chanting we claim no responsibility and you should seek medical help immediately.

45DEi.jpg

Aperture Investment Opportunities
If you have money there's no better place than to invest it than Aperture Science. Your money is safe with us and we have determined these Investment Opportunity videos will convince you. Get those cheques ready:

Comic & Soundtrack
Bed-time stories are for wimps. Unless they're Aperture Laboratories certified comics. The Portal 2: Lab Rat comic is now available and will help you raise better children.
http://www.thinkwithportals.com/comic/. It's proven with science.

Over at our music page you can download the original soundtrack. For free! But for now only vol 1 out of 3.
We're also conducting additional tests to play some of these files when your phone is ringing. If you feel as if people are staring at you when this occurs, the lab boys tell me this is completely normal and part of the test procedure.

You might have learned of our testing program thanks to our ARG advertisement campaign. You can learn more about the ARG campaign here.

Finding Co-Op Testing Associates
Some of you might have arrived on your own without a partner for the Co-op Testing Initiative. Leave your name here and check out the list of other testing associates.
PSN Testers can co-operate with Steam testers once they bind their PS3 to their Steam account.
To see who has or hasn't completed co-op you can check the achievements
Steam:
Just_bri_thanks
Hank_Scorpio
Nocren
Fondor Yards
zaylenz
xiears
ApoDionysus
Captain Cactus And The Water Preservation Squad
Shorn Scrotum Man
autono-wally, erotibot300
staleghoti
Aretè
Psykus
mts
Rikushix
Sonar
Kaimaka (also plays on PSN)
lenore03 (also plays on PSN)

PSN:
(forum nick: psn nick)

Bastable: Bastables
Shorn Scrotum Man: sojakfa
Willeth: Willeth (also on Steam)
thepain73: thepain73
Kaimaka: kaimaka (also on Steam)
Lenore03: Lenore03

Xbox: (pa_nick: gamertag)

shorttimin' : L4ZY3YE
DarkPrimus: PrimusD
Joolander : Joolander
Optimal Tucker: Optimal Tucker

Post-test completion extras
If you're one of the fine gentlemen or gentleladies who have already completed the test program you may be interested in the following material, available in the lobby.
Now I don't wanna spoil the test for ya, so if you haven't completed our Test Program yet:
hide this window right now. This is the Spoiler Zone

EG interview with the portal writers

RPS interview with portal 2 writers: part one, part two

Hidden in one of rattman's dens, this song deserves some extra mention

Turret Opera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kPyGvqNn4Y
Lyrics:
There seems to be some lyrical confusion afoot. My Italian is pretty terrible, but I'd like to refine it for people anyway (since some of the translations around are spotty - particularly with the "che lastima/que lastima" that some sources give, which is Spanish and not Italian).

Cara bel, cara mia bella / Dear beautiful, my beautiful darling
Mia bambina, a tra che la stima che la stima / My little girl - in between respect and assessment
O cara mia, addio! / O my dear - farewell!

La mia bambina cara / My dear child
perche non passi lontano? / Why not go far away?
Sì, lontano da Scienza. / Yes, far away from Science.

Cara, cara mia bambina? / Dear, my dear child
Ah, mia bella / Ah, my beauty.
Ah, mia cara / Ah, my dear
Ah, mia cara / Ah, my dear
Ah, mia bambina / Ah, my child
O cara, cara mia... / O Dear, my dear...

Alternatively for the second line:
Mia bambina, o Chell! / My child, oh Chell [pronounced like the Italian ciel meaning "heaven"]
Che la stima, che la stima / What respect! What an assessment!

(It really sounds more like tra than ciel to me, though. Stima means both an appraisal/valuation/prediction and respect/esteem. Someone more familiar with opera has also suggested che ella stima (implying stima is a verb, so more like "[what/that] she estimates)).
The song is made for the game so no full version available as of yet

http://spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccee.com/

this drawing is zennnnnn and a good wallpaper:

http://rain.nxe7.com/#audio

Adorable Lego Portal:
Have we seen Lego GLaDOS yet?

5663059752_c33601ecd5.jpg
More:
Careful if you're still single-playering it up, reading some of the flickr comments and annotations might be kind of spoiler-y! I haven't checked all of these, so assume that goes for everything else posted as well.

Chell!

5646892709_58b9403e31.jpg

Oh, look, Atlas and P-Body!

5632777635_c907c85d17.jpg

Aperture Science Brand Lego Turrets!

5589539350_0c2ba0c6a3.jpg

5633342960_9952d02123.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvezhMnRjGQ
alternate (original) link: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/3146-Wheatleys-Song-Portal-2

The ARG in detail, from start to crescendo

So to wrap up, we provide you with:
  • Single-player campaign. Got everything you'd want: story, characters, tests.
  • Co-op campaign. Less story, up to two test subjects, tests of varying difficulty.
  • In-game microtransaction store with silly stuff that in no way will influence the test program. If the inclusion of the Robot Enrichment Center aggravates you, you passed the test. Congratulations.
    Posting 0-score reviews means you failed the test. The good news is however that means you are invited to join our new Spiky Smasher test program. This is not voluntarily.

Actually this test program is so enriching you should be paying us instead. You should get to that right now.

I look forward to your contribution to science!

Cave Johnson! We're done here.

Alegis on

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    0nnnnnnnnnnng!*

I was thinking about the Portal gun just now

One of the most devastating WMDs ever?

Ending spoilers
    You could just shoot a portal to the moon and then the other one into an enemy bas from like... an AC-130 or something

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you haven't finished Single Player yet, avoid visiting Destructoid. One of their editors thought it was an excellent idea to post the ending of the game on the front page three days after release.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    VicWhitenVicWhiten Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My copy got UPS'd at 2:57.

I had to leave for class at 2:30.

I have class until 5.

longest classes ever...

VicWhiten on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Houn on
  • Options
    Uber AbgestopptUber Abgestoppt BEERGICIAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man this game is awesome. Sometimes its just so creepy.

Uber Abgestoppt on
    demoman.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Response to something from the last thread, regarding the ending:
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    actually one thing about the ending
    it's really really really a shame that when chell steps out of the elevator she doesn't see the remants of I dunno, City 42! or something after the combine invasion. would have ended on more of a downder and would have beeen more interesting to fans of the Half-Life universe. Instead we get no tie in and a Borealis Life Saver
    As early as when you're trying to run away with Wheatly, I was thinking about how the ending might go with Chell escaping into the aftermath of the Combine war (given that it was 100 years since resolved). I just imagined her showing up with a portal gun, walking into one of the surviving cities and saying "Man, you guys have no idea what I've been through" and society at large just saying "Yeah, us too".

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Ending spoilers
    You could just shoot a portal to the moon and then the other one into an enemy bas from like... an AC-130 or something

You could end up
    causing the end of the world removing all the air from the Earth. Well, that would take a long time, and maybe the atmosphere would come back to Earth after a little while.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I want this game.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Midway point, puzzle solution spoilers
    In one of the repulsion gel tests, you have to cover a cube in the gel so it'll bounce its way out of the glass box it's in. Once it's out, is there an easier way to get hold of it than running around like a moron trying to catch it? I keep thinking there must be some way of solving the puzzle that involves the cube getting cleaned off by itself, but every time I do that part I end up just running after it

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Just read the comic, did know that was a thing that existed, nice! Answered some questions for me too.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just got started and...
    Wheatly is a lot of fun. I'm not quite sure how I feel about GlaDOS yet, she seems a lot more bitchy, which is understandible since I killed her. But old GlaDOS would never have made cracks about my weight. Still, she has plenty of funny lines. The atmosphere in the game is top notch, and I'm only on chapter 3.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Ethereal IllusionEthereal Illusion Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Ending spoilers
    I'd be more interested to see a portal on the ocean floor.

Ethereal Illusion on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really like the part where you use the portals.

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Ending spoilers
    Couldn't place it though, since they don't work in water

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In one of the repulsion gel tests, you have to cover a cube in the gel so it'll bounce its way out of the glass box it's in. Once it's out, is there an easier way to get hold of it than running around like a moron trying to catch it? I keep thinking there must be some way of solving the puzzle that involves the cube getting cleaned off by itself, but every time I do that part I end up just running after it
    Nope, you have to run around trying to catch that bastard. There's an achievement/trophy for catching it before it touches the floor, too (which I did like a boss by having it bounce off two walls and right into my hands). You could pop a portal facing the water and anticipate where it's going to bounce, though.

Warlock82 wrote: »
    Willeth wrote: »
    The 'different' turrets.
    The answer is beneath us. Don't make lemonade. Her name is Caroline. Talking about Prometheus......oh the foreshadowing.

There is a TON of foreshadowing in this game. Ending spoilers:
    The automated gentleman guide talks about being wary of areas that aren't shielded from space. There are others, but they slip my mind right now.
    He also says Aperture's systems are able to function in apocolyptic environments as low as 1.1V (aka the voltage of the GlaDOS potato)

That's the one I was thinking of.

Ending spoilers
    Couldn't place it though, since they don't work in water
    They also don't work on moving srufaces, but they fucked with that a bit.

Actually I'm surprised at that. I had no problem with it but it goes against Valve's really tight design ethos to do something against what they'd taught you previously.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    <3 the fact sphere

The automobile brake was not invented until 1895, prior to this the driver would have to continue driving in circles until the passenger finished their errands.

In Victorian England the poor were not allowed to look upon the queen due to the belief that the poor could steal thoughts. Science has proven that less than 4% of poor people have this ability.

The first person to prove that cows milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty.

override367 on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Use a portal to dump water on it - that will wash off the gel. At least, I think there is water in that room...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you
    catch it before it touches ground you get an achievement. I did this by positioning myself far away from one of the glass cube sides, dumping the blue stuff on, and then quickload whenever it didn't go in my direction.

Luckily I only had to quickload once!

Alegis on
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I got so lucky at that part.
    My cube bounced through the glass directly to me and I snagged it out of the air. I think my exact thought was "Boy, how did they set it up so that the cube goes right to you? That's some slick programming. I'd be bummed if I had to chase this thing all over."

I guess this explains why I got an achievement there

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alegis wrote: »
    If you
    catch it before it touches ground you get an achievement. I did this by positioning myself far away from one of the glass cube sides, dumping the blue stuff on, and then quickload whenever it didn't go in my direction.

This was a pain in the ass with a 360 controller....

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Houn wrote: »
    What's your favorite thing about space?
    Mine is space.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Alegis wrote: »
    If you

Easiest way to do it is let one or two blobs of blue gel in then switch the portal to the water.

It will wash it off just after it breaks one side of the glass and the bottom of the cage doesn't count as the floor, so you can just pick the box out of the box and get the achievement.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    facts
    Please put these in spoiler tags, dude.

Willeth on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Really? They don't have anything whatsoever to do with the plot of the game, but alright

override367 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Better to be safe that sorry with stuff near the end, you know?

Willeth on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    RE: Smash TV and late-game stuff
    Any tips for nabbing one of the turrets so I can shoot the monitor in the chamber with the 3 turrets guarding a button behind a glass wall? I've been trying to nab the bastards while they're bounding around, but no luck. Is it just a luck thing or is there something I'm missing?

Sorenson on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Beat the game in about 11 hours, counting two crashes. Haven't done the co-op missions yet, but I enjoyed the game a lot. Still, $50 is a lot of money for this.

As a side note, the ending song was at least as good as Portal 1's.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Any tips for nabbing one of the turrets so I can shoot the monitor in the chamber with the 3 turrets guarding a button behind a glass wall? I've been trying to nab the bastards while they're bounding around, but no luck. Is it just a luck thing or is there something I'm missing?
    spray blue gel on only 2 of the 3 turrets (so either get the first two or the last two, I had more success with the last two (so that means releasing your gel after it passed where it would hit the first turret)

Alegis on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sorenson wrote: »
    There are two portalable walls on either side of the turrets. Get some air and jump through, and you'll hit them on the side when you land. From there you just pick the up and drop the ones you don't need off the side.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I somehow earned a Killing Floor flag for co-op, but I don't know why. I did get all the taters in that game. Has anyone else earned flags from other Potato Sack games?

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bursar wrote: »
    I somehow earned a Killing Floor flag for co-op, but I don't know why. I did get all the taters in that game. Has anyone else earned flags from other Potato Sack games?
    I got an Amnesia Flag. Don't know why. (Other than I got a golden potato)

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    After playing Tag (the DigiPen project that inspired the physics gels), I was a bit disappointed that
    there wasn't a gel which allowed you to walk on walls and ceilings.

I mean, I understand it's difficult to make a challenging puzzle which includes such a powerful tool, but come on. It could be done, and done well.

Maybe the mod tools will allow things like this.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    About the ending
    I liked the little glint when you shot the moon. Also, it was a nice touch that you just happen to show up at a lunar landing site.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Another thing that was pretty awesome
    I liked the way all the different puzzle elements had a small music type jingle.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    After playing Tag (the DigiPen project that inspired the physics gels), I was a bit disappointed that

I mean, I understand it's difficult to make a challenging puzzle which includes such a powerful tool, but come on. It could be done, and done well.

I think that'd defeat the point of having portals to be honest. I can't think of any compelling puzzles they could make with that, outside of "just doing it for the sake of doing it." In which case you are removing portals from the equation which kind of defeats the purpose.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Giant Bomb had a spoilercast with the writers of portal 2, some interesting stuff in there. Also, don't listen if you don't won't to be spoiled on Shutter island.

http://is.gd/dQIKLC

Musan on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I think that'd defeat the point of having portals to be honest. I can't think of any compelling puzzles they could make with that, outside of "just doing it for the sake of doing it." In which case you are removing portals from the equation which kind of defeats the purpose.

I dunno, I can think of a few situations where it'd be interesting. Particularly if it had some weakness, such as dissolving 45 seconds after it's been applied.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Beat the game in about 11 hours, counting two crashes. Haven't done the co-op missions yet, but I enjoyed the game a lot. Still, $50 is a lot of money for this.

As a side note, the ending song was at least as good as Portal 1's.

$50 is a lot of money for any game, really.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anybody up for co-op? I'm at part 4.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/zek

Zek on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Another thing that was pretty awesome
    I liked the way all the different puzzle elements had a small music type jingle.

I am expecting some custom levels in the future that
    will end up more like a music box than a portal level.

CheesecakeRecipe on