As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WAKFU - Turn based MMO

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    Is this game out then?

Still in closed beta, open beta should be coming on the 27th I believe.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I have no idea what Im supposed to be doing. I went through a bit of a tutorial in the cloud city, went down to an earth city. And mostly wandered around what seemed like a huge world filled with nothing of importance. I have no idea where to go to fight dudes but I learned how to take seeds from sheep for some reason. Im not trying to be rude but I could use some help to see what Im missing.

Well there are "quests" to a certain degree. In the bottom left bar there is a book that says "achievements". In every zone/dungeon there are tasks you can accomplish to get rewards. For example in the beginning zone, sorry im trying to remember.

1. Get your gemling
    2. Kill 5 Wodents in the next zone
    3. Get past the kama dude
    4. ??

Then where you learned how to plant seeds there is another chievo there

1. Talk to Wolfram, and the other wolf dude
    2. Plant 10 Seeds
    3. Give 4 Gobbal Thighs to Wolfram
    4. ???

You get all kinds of things from doing achievements, like gemling buff items (gem that adds +prospecting, +hp etc) Emotes, and other things. There are also zone challenges which you can join every 15 minutes as long as you meet the minimum requirements. You get neat rewards from these as well like statues you can put in your haven bag, emotes, items.

The game is a bit hard to get into because the tutorial is a bit weak. But once you get your stride, get into groups and start leveling it becomes really fun!

Anyway you get the point and my memory is shaky. But the goal is to help bolster your nations economy, level up to conquer other zones in the game for your country, craft items, kill monsters, run dungeons etc.

----

My first impressions on Ecaflip and Enutrof

My two chars are still low level 8 and 9 respectively.

Enutrof, i enjoy the chance for monsters to drop items during combat, the water tree in my opinion is the best. I have been leveling that and fire, fire is expensive and has low damage, and in order to get the most out of it you have to dump points into geology so you can have mines spawn at the beginning of combat. The little heller pet is about 100% useless, i use it to absorb attacks and thats about it. The damage is very low, and Enutrofs are very supportive characters.

Ecaflips, are awesome. I am enjoying the hell out of my Eca. I am going earth, the 4 random spells i got, Jackpot(my main attack spell, is amazing) 30% of earthquake, 65% +dodge, 30% of healing for a small amount. 421, i believe this spell is bugged, you roll a dice at the monster and it deals dmg, if you roll a 6 you can roll the dice again and it increases the dmg 50%, so if you are very lucky you can continually roll 6's and deal out very heavy damage. The issue i have seen is that i have rolled a 6 and not had the option to roll again. I will experiment further with this.

I also got the rock paper scissors ability, its pretty meh, right now it can do 3 dmg, heal for 3, or do 0 dmg. Flip side it only costs 3.

And another interesting ability, i cant remember the name, but i attack a monster, it drops 3 cards on the ground, King gives +1 ap, Queen Heals, and Jack dooesss...something.

For support abilities i have put points into Tarot Card and Cat Tree. Tarot Card picks a random card at the beginning of your round, bonuses i currently have, +15% dmg +2 AP, +1 WP. But it also has horrible negative effects if you are unlucky. -15% dmg, -2 AP, -1 WP. But when it works it works very well.

Cat Tree is...interesting, i am currently on the fence about it. It has saved me in a few fights, and completely screwed me in others. You cast the spell underneath yourself and you stand on a scale with a dice under it. You have a 50% chance to dodge an attack, after each succesful dodge your damage multiplier goes up based on the number shown on the dice, BUT that is also the damage multiplier the monster will get if it hits you. Highest i have dodged was twice in a row. So i had a dmg multipler of 4. So my jackpot was destroying bow meows in one hit. But...getting hit for 40dmg by a bow meow is very very unsettling.

I have started a Clan, and it is open to all PA members that wish to join. Just message me in game and i will invite you, as well as give as much advice on possible.

-Cheers-

Char names

Enutrof - Tiena
    Ecaflip - Tsetta

ghostbandit on
    stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming
  • Thor1590Thor1590 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Did you try putting points in the "buff the drheller" skill? Might make it a little more worth it. Yeah, though, I'm sort of conflicted about the drheller only being useful for earth and mines only being useful for fire. Chance/something seems to be the way to go, but hm. Any idea what the max level is?

Thor1590 on
    edited April 2011
    I did level up the drheller pet. I have the immature version? (lvl 1) its bigger and looks a lot meaner. Well i realized that i couldnt use it to attack until i leveld up combat knowledge(i believe that was the name)

So i did that spawned him and rushed him into combat! I attacked a monster with it, and did 1 dmg. Which made me very angry i wasted the points lol.

I believe the "best" bet to go with enutrofs is to level the % of your prospecting stat turns into bonus dmg. Then just stack +prospecting gear (ie, Tofu Staff + water dmg + prospecting) And tear things up that way, and just ignore using mines unless you are fire, and never use the drheller except to absorb dmg.

Max level for the pet is 5

Max character level is 200

ghostbandit on
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, that's my plan. Kind of curious about the feign death skill. There is going to be another wipe, right?

Thor1590 on
    edited April 2011
    There shouldnt be. Because we are in OB (technically) there will most likely not be another wipe.

ghostbandit on
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is it just me, or are most of the Ecaflip and Enutrof skills untranslated? Makes it kinda hard to figure out some of the secondary effects, because I don't know french.

Also, a lot of the ecaflip spells seem bugged. I got the three cards one, and 75% of the time when I stand on a card absolutely nothing happens, or the cards disappear and nothing happens without showing me which card I stepped on.

Is there an easy way to file bug reports in game? I haven't found any so far.

Also what nation is the clan on?

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
    edited April 2011
    Clan is in Nation Amakana, or however it is spelled.

I thought that spell was broken but it actually isnt.

You have to hit a monster with it, THEN move to get a card. I was casting it in and stepping on cards with nothing happening until i figured that out. The cards only last 1 turn. Not sure if allies can step on them or not, will test in the future.

And yes most skills are not translated but for the most part you can figure them out. At least the description is in english.

Not to knock the dev team, but how long would it really take to translate 50 abilities?

ghostbandit on
    edited April 2011
    The nation's called Amakna, because it's Ankama backwards (name of the developers).

It's silly how all the classes names are something else backwards.

And yeah, I really like some of the care and ideas that have been put into this game, but even for a closed beta this patch was nowhere near ready. I would have been happy with another delay if it meant the patch was actually finished. Maybe it would have given them more time to think about the crazy changes they made to kama minting as well.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i just got into the beta. We should all join up some time.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited April 2011
    There shouldnt be. Because we are in OB (technically) there will most likely not be another wipe.

There will most likely be future wipes, although there should not be one when the official open beta starts in a few days (Just don't want any rumors about wipes spreading around :))

That being said, the game is still in beta, and should not be mistaken for a demo. It is unfinished, and greatly so. There are 14 classes total, and only 6 of those are available at the moment.

Additionally the thought of a patch "not ready" for beta is a bit contradictory, we are the testers, we are the ones testing the game. finding the bugs, and reporting them. If you have any other misconceptions about your roll you are sadly mistaken.

On top of that we are not even the main testing body. The French version consists of those. We are mostly testing the English version of the game, the majority of developer communication and discussion happens in the French community (a large portion of the developers do not speak English at all) This is something they are working on improving so we can give more feedback and have better dialog with the devs.

Just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions about the game. If you are having difficulty figuring out what the spells do message me in the game and I'll help explain them to you so you can understand them.

I did reroll my ecaflip so my name is Delphie now.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited April 2011
    The only thing that's getting to me is how slow it is compared to Dofus so far, especially compared with the way they've streamlined Dofus recently. Will probably be fixed in the future, but hey.

Thor1590 on
    edited April 2011
    Thor1590 wrote: »
    The only thing that's getting to me is how slow it is compared to Dofus so far, especially compared with the way they've streamlined Dofus recently. Will probably be fixed in the future, but hey.

Having never played Dofus, aside from pacing how does it compare? I've heard lots of Dofus players praising improvements, but I have no basis for comparison myself.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I played Dofus for a while. I'm also curious as to what changed there. Perhaps I should take another look at that one?

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    edited April 2011
    Praising improvements between the two games, or in Dofus?

There are obvious thematic similarities, but the games, aside from being srpgs, operate almost completely differently.

Your stats in Dofus, for instance, are only used to improve damage stats, hp, or wisdom. You get 5 per level, and there are progressive soft caps. Wakfu seems to give you 5 points per level, and you can use those to improve skills or stats in more interesting ways.

Dofus, you level skills through skill points. You get 1 per level, and it costs a number of points equal to the skill's level to improve it. 15 points (15 levels) to get a skill to 6. Wakfu, obviously, has skill grinding. I'll admit, I'm rather confused about how to min max my character in this, which may or may not be a good thing. For instance, will exp continue accumulating past 200? How many skills will you be able to get to 100 if it doesn't?

Until I run some dungeons and get the tradeskill mill rolling, I don't really feel comfortable comparing the two, honestly. I've got hella experience in Dofus (180 enu), but almost none of my time spent there has helped me understand Wakfu.

Basically, I feel like comparing them at all, apart from non-gameplay elements, is sort of fruitless.

The one thing I will say, however, is that Dofus has very little of the random sort of elements that Wakfu has incorporated. The %chance for things to occur, for instance. I can see some of those skills becoming very frustrating to use, considering how limited our actions per turn are at that point. Doubly so with lower chances for procs to occur at lower levels of skills.

Feedback on my enu: several of my water skills seem to be redundant. I haven't got the last one yet, but tax, even with them already being broke, does shitty damage for the 5 ap cost. I expect these things to flesh out a little more as we advance them in level, but it certainly isn't making for a fun early game experience.

Fun fact: In Dofus, enutrofs did not get a chance attack until level 36 until a patch a year ago. Since, if you were going chance, chance would be all you would spend your points in, you were completely worthless for 35 levels. Not fun.

Edit: Oh, hey, if there's any interest in Dofus, I can show you guys the ropes and get you funded. My girlfriend and I are an unstoppable juggernaut of kamas and gear.

Thor1590 on
    edited April 2011
    Additionally the thought of a patch "not ready" for beta is a bit contradictory, we are the testers, we are the ones testing the game. finding the bugs, and reporting them. If you have any other misconceptions about your roll you are sadly mistaken.

You can't test content if you can't even understand what that content is supposed to be comprised of. Skills that are translated can't be tested, because unless you can read french, you will not understand exactly what their effects are. It isn't a good testing practice. Releasing content in a state in which you can't even understand it is pretty pointless. I don't expect any level of completeness in anything when I test a game, but if I can't figure out enough about the skills to accurately provide feedback, then it's not productive for anyone involved. I know what my role is, and by releasing content I can't understand, I am unable to fulfill my role.

Note that I'm not complaining about the content being buggy or unfinished (except in the case of translation), because that is to be expected with a game in this state. I'm simply saying that releasing new material your playerbase can't read isn't conducive to testing.

EDIT: Although I do see a section of the forums dedicated to pointing out untranslated/mistranslated material, so at least they're providing a forum for pointing it out. However, I find it hard to believe that they simply forgot to translate the detailed descriptions of all the new spells.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    edited April 2011
    I do know that Purge, the enu spell is either bugged or broken or im full retard and cant figure out how to make it. Anyone know?

ghostbandit on
    edited April 2011
    How to...make it?

Thor1590 on
    edited April 2011
    Riale wrote: »

You can't test content if you can't even understand what that content is supposed to be comprised of. Skills that are translated can't be tested, because unless you can read french, you will not understand exactly what their effects are. It isn't a good testing practice. Releasing content in a state in which you can't even understand it is pretty pointless. I don't expect any level of completeness in anything when I test a game, but if I can't figure out enough about the skills to accurately provide feedback, then it's not productive for anyone involved. I know what my role is, and by releasing content I can't understand, I am unable to fulfill my role.

Note that I'm not complaining about the content being buggy or unfinished (except in the case of translation), because that is to be expected with a game in this state. I'm simply saying that releasing new material your playerbase can't read isn't conducive to testing.

EDIT: Although I do see a section of the forums dedicated to pointing out untranslated/mistranslated material, so at least they're providing a forum for pointing it out. However, I find it hard to believe that they simply forgot to translate the detailed descriptions of all the new spells.

I find it far more likely that they simply pushed the patch out at the same time as the French one because the English playerbase always whines about getting it afterwards. I seriously doubt they "forgot". As you've pointed out they have released the information to help the testers anyways.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited April 2011
    Thor1590 wrote: »
    How to...make it?

work :P

ghostbandit on
    edited April 2011
    Oh. Make them drop a bag with another spell, then hit the bag with purge.

Thor1590 on
    edited April 2011
    right i understand that, but when i tried to target the bag it did nothing.

ghostbandit on
    edited April 2011
    Huh. When I did it, the bag blew up.

Thor1590 on
    edited April 2011
    I find it far more likely that they simply pushed the patch out at the same time as the French one because the English playerbase always whines about getting it afterwards. I seriously doubt they "forgot". As you've pointed out they have released the information to help the testers anyways.

I wasn't aware the patch came out the same time for both servers. That would explain things, although I think it would make more sense to let the english server lag behind so that we can understand the content we're testing.

They haven't really released information to 'help testers' re:translation, all they've done is provide a forum for testers to point out things that are mistranslated or untranslated, which is good, but also seems silly if all the effect descriptions are untranslated (which I'm sure they already know) which means we can't understand the complete effects of the skills and therefore accurately test them.

And caving to player 'whining' about patch time is pretty terrible from a testing standpoint. These aren't paying customers, they're playtesters, and if waiting a while for a patch means that more constructive testing can be done, I say wait as long as you need to.

Either way though, the topic is moot. The patch is what it is. I can only hope in the future they'll translate crucial information before releasing a patch. Back to playing for me.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    edited April 2011
    So, anyone else pick up on the new logo in the bottom left of the latest e-mail from ankama? Seems Square Enix picked up Wakfu.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited April 2011
    The SE logo was on the Wakfu website since at least the creation of this thread. I heard they're not directly involved in the production though, just the licensing aspects.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    edited April 2011
    Yeah i'm not sure exactly when they came on board but Square Enix has been working with them for quite awhile now. As Riale said though they are just doing the licensing, Ankama is still in complete control of the design.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited April 2011
    Yeah i'm not sure exactly when they came on board but Square Enix has been working with them for quite awhile now. As Riale said though they are just doing the licensing, Ankama is still in complete control of the design.

Guess im just slow on the uptake and didnt notice much till now. Ahh well.

Elimination on
    edited April 2011
    Square Enix is also doing the forum moderation (SE-Derek) for example.

ghostbandit on
    edited April 2011
    Square Enix is also doing the forum moderation (SE-Derek) for example.

Yup, and they are also trying to facilitate communications between the English players and the French developers.

Been playing quite a bit the last few days (lvl 19 already) but I'm not sure what is covered under an NDA or not so once I find that out i'll post a lot more info.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited April 2011
    I need Gob belt/Helm/Shoulders/Amulet :(

Ill trade Tofu gears for them :)

ghostbandit on
    edited April 2011
    I need Gob belt/Helm/Shoulders/Amulet :(

Ill trade Tofu gears for them :)

Unfortunately I am collecting the Gob gear myself, but if I come across any extras i'll let you know.

A buddy of mine Yaburi is looking to collect the Tofu set I would send him a tell and see if he has any spare Gob set on him.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited April 2011
    I currently have the Cape,Amulet,Boots,Wand,Shield to trade for the gob set,

I was helping my bro collect the Tofu set.

I also have Gob Cards for trade as well if anyone needs them.

And Delphi, where have put your points so far? I currently have Tarot lvl 2(which is amazing when it works in my favor) And Cat tree level 1(sucks)

And Jackpot is amazing

ghostbandit on
    edited April 2011
    I currently have the Cape,Amulet,Boots,Wand,Shield to trade for the gob set,

I was helping my bro collect the Tofu set.

I also have Gob Cards for trade as well if anyone needs them.

And Delphi, where have put your points so far? I currently have Tarot lvl 2(which is amazing when it works in my favor) And Cat tree level 1(sucks)

And Jackpot is amazing

I am...undecided. I put all my points into Tarot (foolishly since they just hotfixed and changed some of the abilities) My Tarot is lvl 3 and it is interesting. I really like the earth tree and Jackpot is indeed amazing (I managed to get Jackpot and All In :D)

However I am testing out the air line now and it has some cool things you can do with it. I'm trying to borrow my buddies Air Piwi/googoo set to see what sort of damage I can do.

In general Earth is my goto damage spells at the moment.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited April 2011
    Oh hotfixes? Can you post them here for me, if you would be so kind?

And they really need to fix 421, the spell can be amazing if it wasnt broken. Instead of doing increased 50% dmg, it does -50% for each subsequent dice. I had it hit 5 times in on one mob, dmg went, 8,5,2,1,0,

:(

ghostbandit on
    edited April 2011
    Oh hotfixes? Can you post them here for me, if you would be so kind?

And they really need to fix 421, the spell can be amazing if it wasnt broken. Instead of doing increased 50% dmg, it does -50% for each subsequent dice. I had it hit 5 times in on one mob, dmg went, 8,5,2,1,0,

:(

I'm pretty sure that is the intended effect. The hotfixes were pretty vague I need to actually test them in game, do you know what exactly is covered under the NDA? I don't want to post anything in here if I shouldn't be.

I really like both All in and Jackpot but I'm thinking that having both is no fun. I'm thinking that ideally I would want Jackpot, and maybe...craps. That way If I want to alpha strike something I can use jackpot but if I want to split my damage I can use craps.

I'm really considering rerolling my ecaflip in order to try out other things.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited April 2011
    I wouldn't worry too much about what content to post. There does not seem to be any kind of visible NDA anywhere that I've seen, and their closed beta forums have full public access with a link on the front page where people post detailed material and critique of the game without any worry of that.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    edited April 2011
    The description of 421 is very specific

"The rules of 421 are simple. The ecaflip rolls a dice, if the dice is 6 he rolls again, increasing the damage by 50% for each roll there after"

That is abbreviated from memory, but it should be increasing the damage by 50% not decreasing it by 50%

So i should be hitting for like, 8, 12, 18, etc.

ghostbandit on
    edited April 2011
    The description of 421 is very specific

"The rules of 421 are simple. The ecaflip rolls a dice, if the dice is 6 he rolls again, increasing the damage by 50% for each roll there after"

That is abbreviated from memory, but it should be increasing the damage by 50% not decreasing it by 50%

So i should be hitting for like, 8, 12, 18, etc.

I'm thinking that is a typo considering the skill itself is called 4, 2, 1 :D

I could be wrong though.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited April 2011
    that is a spectacular point lol never thought of it that way...

wish it was 124

ghostbandit on