As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

school is for pretentious assholes

• KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    need to stretch this paper for another page. can't. do. it. blaaaaaargh

Kabitzy on
    W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    skettios wrote: »
    Public speaking was always a rough thing for me.

Easily embarrassed, I'd always end up bright red and short of breath by the end of anything.

But then in college, I started not caring as much. Stopped working myself up.
    Well, that and I just did it more.

I took Japanese and we had to give presentations and speak in front of the class quite a bit.
    This taught me that if I was doing slides, to keep them simple and to the point, or else no one would understand anything :P

There was also a speech giving class that was required in my CS program. Had to give a 20-30 minute presentation.

I'm still not great at it, especially since I don't have a loud voice, but I don't fear it nowadays.

Yeah, the first presentation I have ever given in my life was partly in French. The second was entirely in French.

Presenting in English isn't hard for me.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited April 2011
    why is it a crime in papers to be concise. why should I have to add wordy nonsense to reach a page limit when my paper, as is, presents all of my arguments effectively and intelligently.

Kabitzy on
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't know about your professor, but if you have any way to communicate what you just typed to them I don't imagine they would count it against you. From my experience, most paper length requirements are more like general limits or gauges of effort, and if a professor can see you understood the topic and put a sufficient amount of effort into it they won't care. Sometimes they might even be happy that they don't have to read another drawn out paper!

Unless it's some terrible, ornery TA grading it, in which case you're fucked.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    yeah in my experience it's not "this is how long the paper has to be because we want this many words"

but it's "this is how long the paper has to be because that is how long it takes to go into the kind of detail we want"

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited April 2011
    yeah, I can see how by making a page requirement they force you to really understand your topic. I'm just tired and cranky at this point. But! I just finished editing. time to print this bad boy off and pass out.

Kabitzy on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Haven't done school in a good while (I may again soon, yuck/yay?) but recall that I totally aced a few papers that I turned in well under the page limit. If you find that you've argued the thesis compellingly and used 100% of your research to support the argument, you can do a couple of things: 1) do some more research and support your argument even more, or 2) decide that you've gotten your point across enough that you feel comfortable challenging the person grading the paper to mark you off for something as dumb as not having written two more, weaker pages.

Captain K on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Today I had a talk with the head of the philosophy & religious studies department about what we should do with our newly earned funds, as we gained $200 in a book sale the week earlier. She suggested the department award the best senior thesis in philosophy and religious studies with $50 gift cards. I elegantly countered with a proposal that we put on a huge kegger. The idea was not well received.

It is also important to state that this is the same department head that heard I'd been spreading rumors of her being a warlock (which she told me she completely accepts & enjoys).

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Exams over!

If I don't get an A+ in that English class it is the SYSTEM that has failed!

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    which class?

that is an... intriguing requirement

can the type be very small?

Man, my civ pro 2 professor would only let us bring in 3 pieces of paper, front side only. You could write/type as small as you wanted, but 3 pieces of paper is all you got.

My fed tax professor also did the 1 page thing.

Fucking law school.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've had multiple classes where you were only allowed to bring in a piece or two of paper.

You got really good at cramming a lot of formulas into a very small space.

It really is kind of a shitty thing, though, because it takes so long to properly prepare.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    CorpseRT wrote: »
    I've had multiple classes where you were only allowed to bring in a piece or two of paper.

It really is kind of a shitty thing, though, because it takes so long to properly prepare.

Ya
    I preferred the ones where the teacher would give you a sheet with formulas (they'd tell you which ones you didn't have to memorize beforehand)

So hard to figure out what you should write down and what you should just memorize.

skettios on
  • BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Depends on the exact class, basic level ones pretty much, upper level classes might have major restrictions but that's what overrides are for.

School is the only thing that can turn watching Heart Break Ridge, Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, and Boys In Company C into work.

Borommakot on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    skettios wrote: »
    CorpseRT wrote: »

Ya
    I preferred the ones where the teacher would give you a sheet with formulas (they'd tell you which ones you didn't have to memorize beforehand)

So hard to figure out what you should write down and what you should just memorize.

man what the hell is this
    I'm going to a supposedly crap state school and we barely ever get formula sheets
    Physics II this semester was the only time

Tam on
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Because of Passover, I can't eat bread food or things made with flour. This eliminates most of the food on campus. Since Easter is this weekend, there are reduced dining hall hours and only one is open. It's the one that has the least amount of kosher food. This means I get to go shopping tomorrow for food to make for the weekend.

Yay eating better foods!

Boo paying extra to eat because I have to!

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wouldn't you want, over Passover, to keep the Jewiest possible cafeteria open?

Unless you're assuming only the loser jews staying on campus.

oh whoops, sorry

MrMonroe on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh god i'm a huge idiot. My security checkpoint at bwi shut down at 9:30, so I'm stuck in the general non secure area. What the fuck do I do? I'm afraid that at any moment, security is going to walk up to me and ask me to leave. Don't want to spend $100+ on a hotel for 6 hours, but how am I going to last here until the checkpoint opens up at 4:30?

Peccavi on
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Oh god i'm a huge idiot. My security checkpoint at bwi shut down at 9:30, so I'm stuck in the general non secure area. What the fuck do I do? I'm afraid that at any moment, security is going to walk up to me and ask me to leave. Don't want to spend $100+ on a hotel for 6 hours, but how am I going to last here until the checkpoint opens up at 4:30?

Dude, don't worry. I had to do the same thing over the holidays. If security comes and bugs you, show them your boarding pass and explain the situation. They probably see it all the time. As far as killing time goes, I recommend finding some chairs and trying to take a nap.

MadEddy on
    ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I forgot to apply to one of the schools I sent my nat'l merit commendation to

whoops!! sorry pomona

I filled out pomona's "preliminary application" with like my name and email and school and stuff but never got around to actually applying

so imagine my surprise a couple of weeks ago when they sent me a mean rejection letter!

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i'm going to spend the next few days working on a solid outline for civil procedure, because it is the only class in which i can actually bring the outline this semester

one of my classes has a policy in which the only material we can bring other than the book is a single piece of paper. i feel this is almost less helpful than being allowed nothing.

I had a tenth grade history teacher who only allowed a single sheet of paper into each test, and everything had to be handwritten

some of my classmates would go crazy copying down all his notes, but I never thought it was worth all that trouble

the next year, he had to allow typing because he had some kid with a learning disability

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    the only class where I was ever allowed to bring something in was my tenth grade math class, and it was the single sheet of paper for formulas deal

"fuck that," I said, "if I'm taking a test, I'm gonna learn all the stuff myself. I ain't gonna do no sanctioned cheating"
    it was a matter of principles
    I took the test with no formula sheet

I failed the class though, which is a fairly cynical lesson about sticking to one's principles

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    AMP'd, I wish I had your tenth grade history teacher.

My tenth grade history teacher gave my class a test, which to this day is still the hardest test I have ever taken. He had us come in with some spare pieces of paper and instructed us to write about the entire era of American Reconstruction. A girl asked how much he wanted and he just told her, "Everything. I want every single thing you can write." Another student than asked how he would be grading them to which he replied, "Wouldn't you like to know."

In that hour I wrote twelve pages until I had to stop because my hand gave out.

Zonugal on
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »

My tenth grade history teacher gave my class a test, which to this day is still the hardest test I have ever taken. He had us come in with some spare pieces of paper and instructed us to write about the entire era of American Reconstruction. A girl asked how much he wanted and he just told her, "Everything. I want every single thing you can write." Another student than asked how he would be grading them to which he replied, "Wouldn't you like to know."

F

Too wordy. Be more concise!

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
    edited April 2011
    Zonugal on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    we had an open book exam for physics last semester and we weren't allowed to bring notes, but we were allowed to write notes in our books

I didn't because it would feel like defacing it

probably hurt me a bit but oh well

L|ama on
    edited April 2011

the narrative of the history
    or an analysis

Tam on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tam wrote: »

or an analysis

Everything.

All of it.

Both.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
    edited April 2011
    Write out the events of the Reconstruction and analyze them from Marxist, Feminist, and Liberal perspectives

you have half an hour

Tam on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    this essay is fucking horrendous.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That sounds rather...challenging.

Oghulk on
    edited April 2011
    Tam wrote: »

or an analysis

From what I can remember it ended up having to be both. He wanted us to list everything that happened (so the narrative) and also explain what that meant for America at the time as well as how one thing caused the next thing.

Zonugal on
    edited April 2011
    Every paper I've ever written for a history course has combined narrative and analysis.

As far as I know that's the correct way to do it since it's garnered me fairly high marks and commentary saying they like the style I write in.

Don't know what the hell that means but I figure I'm doing it correctly to some degree.

Oghulk on
    edited April 2011
    I remember that same history teacher assigned a huge project in which, working with partners, we had to construct a book featuring the complete biographies of around 25 individuals from a certain period in American history. My group, in addition to two others, were the only groups to be able to get it done in the weekend so the rest of the class started complaining that they didn't have enough time to do what our teacher asked. He took every compliant and than calmly told everyone that they were losers & should be punished for being so pathetic. He then asked for those groups who had finished it to bring it forth.

I got up from my seat and tap danced all the way to him while my partner screamed, "Yeah! Go us!!!' We were boo'd by the class.

That was the best class ever.

Zonugal on
    edited April 2011
    zonugal your life is a book populated by a great many grotesque characters isn't it

Tam on
    edited April 2011
    That is certainly one way of describing it.

I perhaps wouldn't disagree with the claim itself.

Zonugal on
    edited April 2011
    I remember that same history teacher assigned a huge project in which, working with partners, we had to construct a book featuring the complete biographies of around 25 individuals from a certain period in American history. My group, in addition to two others, were the only groups to be able to get it done in the weekend so the rest of the class started complaining that they didn't have enough time to do what our teacher asked. He took every compliant and than calmly told everyone that they were losers & should be punished for being so pathetic. He then asked for those groups who had finished it to bring it forth.

I got up from my seat and tap danced all the way to him while my partner screamed, "Yeah! Go us!!!' We were boo'd by the class.

That was the best class ever.

Your life is like that of a TV show.

Oghulk on
    edited April 2011
    Life is nothing without eccentricity.

Zonugal on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    zonugal I am going to steal your life, make a movie about it, and never give you any credit or money for it

playing you will be carla gugino

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited April 2011
    zonugal I am going to steal your life, make a movie about it, and never give you any credit or money for it

playing you will be carla gugino

I'm sold.

Zonugal on
    edited April 2011
    Should really turn a biography into a movie.

Would be incredibly entertaining.

I would see it.

Oghulk on
This discussion has been closed.