As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Aion] Is Now Completely Free To Play. 3.0 Is Now Live.

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The game looks gorgeous and I still want to retry it, especially after reading about the updates, but every time I get the itch I just think back to a scene I saw playing out a month ago in a Korean cyber cafe. I was watching some fellow that was apparently watching a high-level duel with about 50 other dudes just sitting around watching two guys duel. I think it was an assassin and a templar. In any case, every hit had massive numbers, like the assassins poisons were hitting for 6k, and his white hits were hitting for 10k. Special attacks were even more ridiculous.

Anyway, to the point. I think I watched this battle with ridiculously high numbers between two plays go on for about 5 minutes until I couldn't take it anymore. After 5 minutes of this each character was only down by about a quarter of their life. At that point I realized I had no interest in coming back to a game with huge numbers that mean nothing, and 10 minute 1v1 pvp fights. It's unfortunate because I think this game has a lot of potential.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That sounds... not at all like what Live is like. Are you sure this wasn't a duel with outside influence from a healer... or more likely, a private server?

About the only time I remember watching videos of 1x1 fights that lasted anywhere near as long was back at release, and usually only if it was say... a Templar versus a Cleric, in tournaments and whatnot.

Look up some 2.0 PvP videos on YouTube. You're more likely to see people burst down absurdly fast due to Godstone procs than seeing duels being turtled for several minutes.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, duels go WAY faster than that. Just spend any time near the brokers and you'll see several people at cap dueling at all hours. They're generally super fast.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, duels are a lot faster than that. They're like... a minute or less.

Anyway, drop rates really have increased a lot. Yesterday I got two golds, and one of them I broke down into 8 level 70 enchant stones that I sold for about a mil each. But it's not just the drop rate of golds - I've been getting white and greens a lot more often too, so vendoring those is also easy money.

Flux prices are getting less ridiculous too, so it's also a bit cheaper making stuff.

Oh yeah, and as said above the 80% buff killed rifting.

Psychoish on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They really need to work on rifting. The whole "PvPvE" thing is what initially drew me to Aion, but as I recall it ultimately came down to higher level characters harassing lower level characters.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wait..... there's an 80% dmg debuff when you rift?

As long as they put in some quests that aren't in the Abyss, I may actually go back to playing it while waiting for TERA to come out.

Then I just have to decide if I should play my Sorc, Glad, Chant, SM, or Sin all of whom at in the 30-40 range...... hmmmmm.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There are two double XP weekends in a row coming soon.

December 3 (12:00 p.m. PST) – 6 (12:00 p.m. PST), 2010
    December 10 (12:00 p.m. PST) – 13 (12:00 p.m. PST), 2010

I'm hurrying to get the last part of my Steel Beard set, then I'll be ready to go back to actively leveling when the Double XP lands.

With the new quest experience rewards, the double XP weekends and the Lodas Amulets I've been saving, I'm guessing it's gonna be pretty damned fast, even though I'm in my late 40s.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I wonder if they're going to do a reactivation thing again with these?

Probably not, the last one was special iirc.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited November 2010
    I'd save it for after Cataclysm's shiny wears off a bit, personally. The Double XP is mostly to try to keep people that play both games interested in Aion through Cataclysm's launch.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They really need to work on rifting. The whole "PvPvE" thing is what initially drew me to Aion, but as I recall it ultimately came down to higher level characters harassing lower level characters.

They did. 80% buff made it practically impossible for rifters to kill you.

Psychoish on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What is this 80% buff you speak of?

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rifting was one of the few things I really enjoyed in this game, but I also would only try to find like leveled people to kill..and I was an assassin. I would basically try to assassinate and then ninja vanish for as long as possible, but I would generally not attack people who were fighting mobs, unless they were aggressive.

Strika on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What is this 80% buff you speak of?
    aunsoph wrote: »
    Rifting? They basically killed rifting. Quest worry-free, because any player of the opposite faction that steps into your turf is penalized with a hefty -80% damage buff. The number of guards was increased, and players can't log off on the opposite faction's territory anymore. So you won't have to put up with a twink in full lvl 30 Elite PvP gear, +10'd and with a Godstone on their weapon, just farming the shit out of you.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow, that sounds like a pretty retarded way to "fix" it.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    About the only way to, other than redesigning rifting from the ground up.

Make it a narrow lvl range? Wouldn't matter, people would just kill themselves like they did over and over to stay within the range, and twinked out with +10'd PvP golds, would just obliterate anyone not twinked out the same way.

Buff the guards? Sure, but people already skipped them by gliding past anyway.

Make it so you can't drop kisks in the opposing faction's territory? That's just making the Spy quests even stupider than they are already.

And quite frankly, rifting PvP was fun when everyone was leveling up for the first time and had low-quality gear. Right before they crippled it? It was nothing more than a grief fest. A lowbie shooting range for the twinks.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    KiteKite Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm very tempted to come back and try Aion, I quit a year ago because of the rampant number of twinks. I got a SM to 50 and a priest and Chanter to the mid 30s, thankfully my SM dinged 50 before the twinks permanent fixtures. How is the state of the game? The grind was not as bad as people made it out to be but I don't want to play on servers that are ghost towns. I tried WoW but it isn't for me..

Kite on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I wonder if they're going to do a reactivation thing again with these?

Probably not, the last one was special iirc.

Well, they just announced there's gonna be a 10-days reactivation period, from the 3rd of December to the 13th. Seems like the gloves are off in their attempt to prevent a Cataclysm exodus. :lol:

So if anyone was on the fence about giving this another whirl, now you got some time to check out the new content and QoL changes.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I've actually been really getting into this. I picked up my level 35 gladiator that I hadn't played in nearly a year and did some Fire Temple runs and had a blast. Holy crap did they ever improve the drop rate!

I still feel like this game can't decide if it wants to be a K-MMO grindfest or not, but they seem to be making their decision...

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Inactive accounts should be active now.

At least I just got an e-mail saying mine was.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Inactive accounts went active on December 3rd. Tried it for about half an hour, Nezekan appears to be a ghost town.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Inactive accounts went active on December 3rd. Tried it for about half an hour, Nezekan appears to be a ghost town.

Yeah, I heard Nezekan is pretty much dead. It's the Australian server though, so it's kind of to be expected. You can either use one of the free transfers to get out of that rock, or roll something on another server. Vaizel is apparently the second least populated realm, and I'm seeing plenty of people on.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Got back in here because of the Steam sale. Relearning this game is like being an amnesia patient.

"Alright, I have tons of crap in my inventory, I was a crafter, what did I craft..."

I figured that $10 was worth a month of time and the expansion. What's new in the game? I haven't played since a couple months after launch.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Got back in here because of the Steam sale. Relearning this game is like being an amnesia patient.

"Alright, I have tons of crap in my inventory, I was a crafter, what did I craft..."

I figured that $10 was worth a month of time and the expansion. What's new in the game? I haven't played since a couple months after launch.

First thing you'll notice is quests are worth taking now, the money rewards alone have been boosted hugely. You also wont get ass raped by rifters anymore, armour is more customizable...ect ect...

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Hey guys. Not sure if anyone plays anymore, but I figured I'd post just in case.

I'm in the process of switching from Zikel (Asmodian) to Israphel (Elyos), which means I can take basically nothing with me. Most of what I've got is lowbie crafting stuff, manastones, and maybe a piece of gear or two. It's not much, but I hate to just vend it all so if anyone has an Asmodian on Zikel and wants the stuff to use or sell, let me know. I'm leaving one character behind (and keeping my meager earnings in kinah), but everything else is getting deleted.

And of course if anyone plays Elyos on Israphel, look me up. :)

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So a big 2.1 patch hit at the end of March and I was actually curious to check out Aion for another month. Anyone still playing this that has any feedback?

Some of the shit in the 2.5 trailer worries me, but still - it looks pretty.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I actually re-upped just because 2.5 was coming down the pipe soon.

I am a whore for pretty. And this game is home to some of the sexiest armor sets in existence.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    How soon is "soon"? I keep hearing about 2.5, they've been talking about it for ages.

If I ever get around to upgrading my processor i too might be interested in dicking around for a bit when it comes out.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My daughter found out one of our subscriptions hadn't run out yet and has been playing the last two evenings.

Not sure if she was on Vaizel or Zikel, but she ran across no one while playing 20s area maps on Elyos side.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I made the mistake of wanting to resub to this game, and found out NC has "permanently blocked" my account for no reason. I haven't even logged into my NC account in 3 months probably, and now somehow its been banned even though i wasnt using it and wasn't subbed. What the fuck.

This is the SECOND time this has happened when i have left my account alone for a few months and come back to it. Last time i subbed on this game they had done the same thing, blocked my account at some point while i wasnt using it. Their security is absolute horse shit. So frustrating...

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I always read the expansion title as Assault on Belarus.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Has anyone tried out the game with the May 2nd update? It looks like it's all cosmetic, does it add anything to the game?

spookymuffin on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I just watched the 2.5 trailer. Getting my wallet....

By the way, what are multi-stage instances? They looked awesome in the trailer, but those trailers make everything look awesome.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Is 2.5 released now?

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    May 25, I believe.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I believe 2.5 is on their test server now for testing.

That's the full extent of what I know about it aside from it has all those purdy graphical upgrades that many people probably can't run anyway.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Resubbed today, played a lot. The xp flow is much more forgiving than it was when I was last in the game. Having much more fun this time around. Let's hope the community gets a kick start.

spookymuffin on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I am also interested in res-subbing, but im not totally sure yet. I want to see 2.5 with all the new stuff. I know last time i played i was pleasantly surprised by the positive changes and the much better XP curve and much more rewarding quests.

Elimination on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wonder how Sins and Spiritmasters are nowadays. I had a level 45 sin that got hacked and leveled to 50, so it would feel weird to play her. My SM is like 14.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm more worried about population than anything else, though last time i played it didn't seem to by dying.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Last time I popped in last summer after the server merges everything was nice and populated.

I heard that a couple servers merged here recently too, Zekiel and something else.

The stuff in 2.5 look mighty nice but I dunno, I might have to wait till I can have a powerful enough PC to pump up those new graphics and see the game super purdy.

The Dude With Herpes on