As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moving to Kuwait, need a VPN

Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
Hey all,

I will be moving to Kuwait in August to begin my teaching career. I would love to not have to sacrifice the iTunes store, Hulu, Skype, and all that good stuff.

Apparently I do not have to if I have a VPN to connect to. However, I do not really know how to do that.

Can anyone give me information about any services or programs that will allow someone to connect to a network in the USA while overseas? Note: I do not have a network here in the USA that I will be able to set up to use while abroad, so if possible, I would like to be able to connect to one that already exists and is regularly maintained.

Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
Buddy Lee on

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In a pinch Tor will anonymize your internet usage and encrypt it effectively, but it's very slow - only good for email/browsing/wikileaksing.

Try a commercial VPN service for day-to-day not-annoying use. Googling for high-speed VPN reveals something like this.

electricitylikesme on
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    https://secure.logmein.com/

Seriously consider changing your DNS servers as well. My personal preference is DynDNS.

Dyn DNS

OpenDNS

Dark Shroud on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Have you got family in the States that can keep a little system running for you at home? If so, then a VPN tunnel to that system is what you want. If you want an actual proxy service without having to have a system of your own running in America, something like overplay.net (which electricitylikesme linked) is what you should get (though I've never used overplay.net... but looking at it, I might give it a shot.) I use relakks for a proxy service, but that brands you as a swede --not really helpful for hulu (I have no idea about itunes.)

Ego on
    Erik
  • Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ego wrote: »
    Have you got family in the States that can keep a little system running for you at home? If so, then a VPN tunnel to that system is what you want. If you want an actual proxy service without having to have a system of your own running in America, something like overplay.net (which electricitylikesme linked) is what you should get (though I've never used overplay.net... but looking at it, I might give it a shot.) I use relakks for a proxy service, but that brands you as a swede --not really helpful for hulu (I have no idea about itunes.)

No, I don't have any family or friends who would know how to set up and maintain a system like this... looks like overplay.net is my best bet.

https://secure.logmein.com/

Seriously consider changing your DNS servers as well. My personal preference is DynDNS.

Dyn DNS

OpenDNS

I actually would like to know how to use this... I tried this a few weeks ago and I have the client set up but I don't know how to connect to a network. Would you help me out with it?

Buddy Lee on

• Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have not personally used Log me in. I know enough people that do use and speak positively about that I recommend it.

Dark Shroud on
  • craig134craig134 Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    I've heard strongvpn is good. About $55 for a year or so.

craig134 on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    FYI this is probably illegal there and (provided it is) if you get caught you could be in serious trouble.

ASimPerson on
    edited April 2011
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    FYI this is probably illegal there and (provided it is) if you get caught you could be in serious trouble.

What do you base the illegality of this on?

Buddy Lee on

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you're violating the ToS or the T&C of a service (Hulu, iTunes, etc.) then it'll probably just not work, but if you got it working I don't think they'd do much about it as long as you're paying (they might suspend your account?). Hulu, for example, does not have international streaming rights. Skype works anywhere right?

I don't know Kuwait from any other Arab state, but would look carefully into the ToS and T&C of any agreement you enter with an ISP there.

Djeet on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As someone who has spent a favorable amount of time in this specific area, I can only suggest that you run your own VPN service with a dedicated server. However for long-term this is the most expensive solution, it is also the most reliable and adaptive to changes. Hosts vary, I suggest linode.com for vhosts or dedicated.

Good luck with your travels!

Also: Services based on location - many have updated servers recognizing ranges that are identified as military. So depending on the OP's tangible location to a U.S. operation could absorb some of that headache.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    edited April 2011
    As someone who has spent a favorable amount of time in this specific area, I can only suggest that you run your own VPN service with a dedicated server. However for long-term this is the most expensive solution, it is also the most reliable and adaptive to changes. Hosts vary, I suggest linode.com for vhosts or dedicated.

Also: Services based on location - many have updated servers recognizing ranges that are identified as military. So depending on the OP's tangible location to a U.S. operation could absorb some of that headache.

How did you maintain a dedicated server when you were in a different continent? Or did you know someone who was doing this for you?

Buddy Lee on

• verbelverbel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I currently use StrongVPN and it works very well for all my needs.

verbel on
    steam_sig.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2011
    Buddy Lee wrote: »

How did you maintain a dedicated server when you were in a different continent? Or did you know someone who was doing this for you?

Linode rents out servers on a monthly basis, connected to a fat internet connection, that are nothing more than linux boxes on the internet with a static IP that you have root access to.

You can install VPNs, game servers, CMSs, pretty much whatever you want on it, and you pay a monthly fee for the right.

Expect to pay at LEAST 30-40 bucks a month for this level of flexibility though.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...