As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Freshly Mynted panel thumbs/sketches!

MyntMynt Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Artist's Corner
Hey AC!! I've been lurking for a while and I decided it's time to share some of my work... get crits, new ideas, etc. But I do have an ulterior motive.... I'll explain: I'm currently employed full time (thank goodness). But between work, a girlfriend, my family obligations, my addiction to running and other day to day tasks, I find it difficult to find time to work on my own pieces. Mix that in with an unhealthy habit of taking on too many projects at the same time, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Now I've been known to be a procrastinator, so I made myself a promise. Every day, work on artwork for AT LEAST 2 hours. Treat it like a job I'm clocking in for... and try to stay committed to it. If I miss a day, it stacks on to the next until I even up the debt. I KNOW that people out there are able to dedicate many hours of their day to art, and I'm so envious of that... but, for now, this is as much as I can do. And even though I feel it's such a small amount, I'm hoping those hours add up to something meaningful. So... this thread will be a checks and balances of sorts. A way to hold myself accountable. I hope you enjoy some of the stuff I put in here!

<3 Nick (aka Mynt)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The 1st Image is an image out of a comic I'm working on with a friend, titled "The Low Angel Project" for now. I don't want to give too much stuff away yet as it's still in the early form of production. Here's where I was at as of this evening before I started working:

03-01.png

And here's where I'm at 2 hours later. There's a lot of retooling still... but as I get more and more familiar with the characters, it will go much faster. I'm still back and forth between the softer and the harder version. The hard version looks a bit cartoony, but it's a lot faster to pull off. I also shortened up the legs to keep consistent with the character design. They're intended to be disproportional to the top half of the body, and it doesn't help that the first time we see this character, there's foreshortening, but oh wells.... I'll plug away till I figure it out :P

03-02.png

Back to work!

Total I've worked on artwork since starting this thread: 2

Mynt on

• Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maybe instead of trying to finish one complex drawing you should do lots of short studies on anatomy or some such useful thing? I feel like a broken record for saying that, but I think it would be a good use of your time :D
    I mean, do what you want with your art, but if I had only 2 hours its what I would do.

Also, the dude you're working on is looking good. I can't comment too much on anatomy since I'm no anatomist myself, but he looks good so far.

Arden Canelo on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Likin' it so far, though I think the cell shaded version suits the lineart better.

Also, I don't see how starting to color before the lines are completed would ever be a good thing. In the immortal words of the Guru, never put the 2 before the 1 son.

earthwormadam on
  • MyntMynt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the comments!!!

@Arden - While I'm totally not against doing studies... (I will have some days where I do them) I'm using my 2 hours a day to chip away at some larger projects. :D

@earthwormadam - BUSTED! I'm totally putting the cart before the horse... I'm going back in to finish my line art. I got a little too excited at the jump off. -__-;

Mynt on
    edited October 2010
    So after getting frustrated on trying to line my work in PS with my tablet, I decided the best way for me to go about the comic is to take a more traditional route (At least until I get a Cintiq). It's been a long while since I've used pen and ink and it shows in the two large blotches that will need correcting (No more drawing at 4AM >__<;) I should be able to finish the linework today, but for now, here's a crappy iPhone photo of the progress so far.... Enjoy!

03-03.JPG

Total number of hours I've worked on artwork since starting this thread: 4

Mynt on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    thats a pretty nice layout

can't wait to see some inky

earthwormadam on
    edited October 2010
    Thanks EWA :) I only get to meet with my writer friend once a week for an hour or two... We go over his script and I try to make thumbnails according to his vision. Luckily he's studying to write scripts for film in the future. so describing his panels is similar to describing shots for a film.

Mynt on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love the embedded sun in the word Ring. Subtle :)

ninjai on
    edited October 2010
    Thanks! Some of my favorite movies, games, cartoons & comics had subtle images hidden throughout that made you look twice :)

Mynt on
    edited November 2010
    Totally bonked out and forgot I created a thread for my work.. stupid brain. Here's some stuffs:

This one's a sketch for my portion of a mural for a local business called "Boom"

8wz7fs.png

This one's a WIP called "The Runaway" - based on the girl from the Kanye flick (thought her costume was awesome)

o5vyom.png

One day my and the GF were talking about weird weapons for the upcoming zombie apocalypse. She chose a porcupine on a stick as her melee... I made her some pixel art:

2vdikva.jpg

The images of the comic I posted earlier (which is now down cause I need to pay for my site and I'm broke -__-) are still in the works. I illustrated that page to try different styles and see what I'd actually enjoy drawing... I think I'm settled on something like this though:

212z6g6.png

Mynt on
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i likes me some porcupine on a stick... of course it is now making me wonder why iguana on a stick is food in fo3 and not some sort of wierd melee weapon that only works on girly men....

farbekrieg on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No need to spoiler your art in your own thread, Let it breathe :)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited November 2010
    @farbekrieg - Maybe cause there isn't any girly men in FO3? hehehe. I had her make up a ranged attack and a super move. I might try to do a short animation about it if I find the time :D

@Nappuccino - advice taken... didn't know what the protocol was. :P Thanks!

Mynt on
  • MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Really nice stuff, I like the pixelart my suggestion would be to smoothen out the lines with AA but since I'm guessing this is more of a joke than something serious it's cool and I like it. I feel it has that Scott Pilgrim look to it, really nice. The mural character looks hot, I like it a lot. If the murals done I would love to see some pics of it. The last character looks really nice stylistic yet gives me that sad feeling, I don't know how you only accomplished the overall sadness of the character with only his face but it's great how you could give out that sad feeling while still having the warm colors on there. Great! Last but not least that angel girl is just amazing, truly outstanding, I can't say much right now only that it looks great and well, just amazing finish it!

Mabelma on
    Have some time, check out my blog
    edited November 2010
    @Mabelma - Thank you for the kind words :)

Mynt on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    runaway has some lopsided boobies.

NakedZergling on
    edited November 2010
    @NakedZergling - Thanks! Yeah the left one needs a bit more shaping. I'll update later tonight when I get off work.

Mynt on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i like your doodle in the doodle thread. you should post it here as well. the take a stab at thursday one

NakedZergling on
    edited April 2011
    Sorry I haven't had time to update, but I guess that's just the way life can hit you. Recently got back in the groove of things, and wanted to share this one with y'all

boarding_pass.png

Boarding Pass 47"x17" Acrylic & Ink on wood panel.

Here's some detailed shots:

boarding_pass_d1.png

boarding_pass_d2.png

Enjoy!

Mynt on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's pretty dang cool.

desperaterobots on
    edited April 2011
    i like your doodle in the doodle thread. you should post it here as well. the take a stab at thursday one

Ask and you shall receive. Much, much later...

2na1xl3.png

and this one for good measure

2whpnhw.jpg

That's pretty dang cool.

Thank you. that's pretty dang nice of you to say!

Mynt on
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That giant, feather-giving robot arm is excellent. I would put that on my wall.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

edited May 2011
    trentsteel wrote: »
    That giant, feather-giving robot arm is excellent. I would put that on my wall.

Thanks! This, and one other piece is going to hang in a group art show in San Francisco soon... I'm hoping someone there feels the same way. :)

Mynt on
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mynt wrote: »
    boarding_pass.png

Boarding Pass 47"x17" Acrylic & Ink on wood panel.

Me likey.

Paradise on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    I like the acrylic a lot.

I wish I could come up with cool ideas like that more often.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited May 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    I like the acrylic a lot.

I wish I could come up with cool ideas like that more often.

Thanks! When I think about it though... my ratio for good ideas to bad ones is pretty horrendous. :P

Lately I've been working on trying to tell a story with one image, and as a result of that, I think long and hard before i start making something. And even though I work so hard at building a story, it's always fun when someone else has a different interpretation of your work. :)

Mynt on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am really digging your work

But man

how you not gonna title your thread Newly Mynted Artwork?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fresh mynt?

m3nace on
    edited May 2011
    I am really digging your work

But man

how you not gonna title your thread Newly Mynted Artwork?

hahahaha... I always use "Mynt" as my username for everything... On the off chance that it's taken, I use "MyntyFresh" or "MyntCondition"... So the title of the thread made sense to me at the time. I'll tell you what though.... just for you, I'll switch it up. :)

Mynt on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mynt you're a-okay

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Here's a time lapse of my section of a mural I helped work on a few months ago. Took me a while to get down and actually make the damn video, despite having the images for months. It was my first time time lapsing my work with my phone, so the framing sucks, but it just serves as a lesson for next time.

If you go back to the 1st page, the sketch I made beforehand is there to see. When I started, I knew I had to knock this out in one evening, as I couldn't make the other scheduled sessions. So for over half the time I was there, I was by myself and it was pretty freakin cold. Not to mention my feet were aching from going up & down the ladder all night. At least we agreed ahead of time on using only 4 colors.

The mural was for a new salon in Napa called Boom! And I took the name quite literally... The rest of the mural was done by my art group, Individual Collective, in November I believe. I still haven't seen the entire completed mural yet, but hopefully I'll get some pictures soon. :)

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrH5xW6jb30

Just previewed the video now, and it's so tiny in the forum -__-; You can view it via youtube to see more detail.

Mynt on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Amazing man. I love time lapses. Good work. Your thread is amazing!

ninjai on
    edited May 2011
    ninjai wrote: »
    Amazing man. I love time lapses. Good work. Your thread is amazing!

Than you! It was a lot of fun to make :D

Mynt on
    edited May 2011
    A quick painting I started tonight.... acrylic on a 6x6 gesso board I had lying around Really just something to test glossy finishing materials, so I'm not trying to do anything fancy. Gonna finish it up tomorrow.

Enjoy!

the 1st sketch
    2cr7g5d.jpg

Googling "gorilla" for reference got me this funny stance (for a human anyways :P) I liked the arms and ended up keeping them
    344388n.jpg

final sketch on the board
    2lsiq6s.jpg

after a short stint of painting tonight. The colors are way messed up from taking the photo with an iPhone. One day I'll get me a decent camera -__-;
    x35ppg.jpg

Mynt on
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Those are at least 5 times cooler and Hulk hands.

Arden Canelo on
    edited May 2011
    Those are at least 5 times cooler and Hulk hands.

hahaha... yeah! Except I don't think she's happy to have 'em. I think they were put on without consent.

Update: I varnished it with 2 coats so far. My dumb ass got too excited and didn't wait for the paint to FULLY dry. Thus, I ruined it. -__-;

On the bright side, I LOVE the way the gloss looks and it WAS a test piece, so it served it's purpose on teaching me a few lessons on the proper application of varnish (ie: when they say don't over brush, they mean it!). So when I do this tonight/tomorrow on a real piece, the experience will surely go a long way. I'll sand it and put one last coat on this one and hopefully have pics up tonight.

Mynt on
    edited May 2011
    Plotting out some panels... Just a quick little comic about my mornings. This is seriously how I get dressed almost every day:

Untitled-1.png

panel 1: 9:00AM

panel 2: "Hmm.. What to wear today?"

panel 3: "This calls for... RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR app!"

panel 4: "GOOO!!!!"

panel 5: "one... two... three... four... ok. This one."

panel 6: "NOW FOR SHIRTS!!!!"

panel 7: me dressed in some weird ass colors

Crits welcome. panels 4-7 are still being sketched in.

Mynt on