As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

school is for pretentious assholes

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My stories are from my high school since I'm still here.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sassori wrote: »
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    everyone prefers a single room, though

You would think so but some people need to live with someone or they get lonely.

Those people are confusing to me but I have been assured that they exist.

This has never made sense to me

Just hang out with other people in your room, and when the time comes to sleep, do so alone

And never have to worry about your stupid roommate waking up at 7 to take a shower every morning

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is how I explain it to people

You can have an awesome time with a roommate in a double room. Could be a blast. But I don't know a single person who wanted a single room, and then regretted asking for one, whereas I can name dozens of people who were looking forward to a double and had a miserable experience.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    2 and a half weeks of school left

no way

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oghulk: no one likes single moms; not men, not Republicans, and especially not me.

Didn't you hear about that single mom in your local area who discovered how to lose weight using one old trick?

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I guarantee that I can help you lose over 10 pounds in one night!!!

While you're asleep they break into your room and saw off your leg

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I guarantee that I can help you lose over 10 pounds in one night!!!

While you're asleep they break into your room and saw off your leg

Hahahahahahahaha

The irony for me behind those ads is I in no way need that help given I lose on average 2 pounds per week already.

And I'd prefer this pace to starving myself.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, don't knock starving untill you've tried it.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dude, starving won't do a damn thing if you eat like a pig and just gain it all back in a matter of days.

I do think I'm at the point where my 3+miles per day isn't going to cut it and I just need to start weight lifting.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    AMP'd wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    everyone prefers a single room, though

You would think so but some people need to live with someone or they get lonely.

Those people are confusing to me but I have been assured that they exist.

This has never made sense to me

Just hang out with other people in your room, and when the time comes to sleep, do so alone

And never have to worry about your stupid roommate waking up at 7 to take a shower every morning

I've had several friends who hate sleeping alone. One of those friends had a single her senior year, but slept at her friends apartments every night. Me, I loved being in a single, never had to wear pants.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wouldn't a communal shower make masturbation a tricky endeavor for the males?

I mean, unless the wastebaskets are icky . . .

[edit] not saying the showers are open just that it makes it real inconvenient.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

nope

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, I guess life finds a way

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The smell of bleach in the communal bathroom every Monday morning my freshman year was a welcome thing.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

once you figure out your roommate's class schedule, it's pretty easy to find the time

satansfingers on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am looking at housing, the images they pick . . . do people really put that much creativty into their dorms, really?

All the Dorms room I've been in (I've never lived in a dorm myself, I found an apartment for the same price of the dorm.) was so dirty that they could be shrines for the god of pestilence, Nurgle.

Especially dorms with women. I thought women were suppose to be clean! Instead, all their dirty clothes was piled on the floor with a thin walkway that connects the bed to the bathroom to the front door.

Bleh, I'm so happy I didn't have to go through the whole dorm thing. People always talk about the 'joys of living in the dorm'. I managed to experience the 'joys' of dorm living, and not have to live in a dorm.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

once you figure out your roommate's class schedule, it's pretty easy to find the time

pretty much this

my roommate left his schedule up on his computer last quarter while he was in the bathroom and I snapped a quick picture of it

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Boro's Afternoon - A Play in One Act
    "I'm going to work on my research design and get it done early, hell yeah."

Irish economic policy...Irish tax policy...Irish banking data...

This is boooring.

Man, there are a lot of people on facebook on the computers right now..."

Now I have a rough statistical breakdown of the amount of people actually doing work on the library computers for the last two hours. I can't even procrastinate right anymore, stupid college.

Borommakot on
  • Options
    KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    it's sad. my roommate and me were super cool beginning of the semester. then she over heard me a few weeks ago talking about my lack of religion on the phone and since then she hasn't talked to me at all and just gives me a cold shoulder. fantastic. i mean, all i said essentially was "wow, I can't believe my campus had some guys come and talk about atheism, it was a really great experience to know I'm not alone." I didn't say anything remotely like "man fuck religion blaaaarrrrggghhh"

people suck sometimes. it also reminds me why I never tell anyone.

Kabitzy on
    W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    On the other hand, how great of a relationship were you going to have with a religious nutjob.

Maybe find some better people to be friends/roommates with.

Some that are tolerant and/or don't give a shit about your personal preferences that have nothing to do with them.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    i'd tear my hair out if i didn't spend so much goddamn time getting it not to fall in my eyes.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I didn't think she was a religious nutjob. I knew she was really religious which is fine, I don't mind at all. But I didn't think she'd shun me if she found out. oops.

Seriously though only like two of my closest friends know and of course my mom does. everyone else I play the "spiritual but not religious" card because that receives a lot less judgment. people usually drop it after that.

Kabitzy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I walk a fine line with my religious views. I wouldn't really call myself Atheist, cause I think there could or there couldn't be a form of higher power, but I'm not bothered by the fact nor do I care enough to make my life align with either of the opposing view points. I live my life how I want with fairly high morals, and if people are bothered by the fact that I found my morals without God then they can deal with it how they wish, won't bother me a bit.

I also live in the bible belt and the fact that this hasn't garnered me any enemies is something I'm fairly happy with.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Dude, starving won't do a damn thing if you eat like a pig and just gain it all back in a matter of days.

I do think I'm at the point where my 3+miles per day isn't going to cut it and I just need to start weight lifting.

when i had my jaw surgery i went from approx. 225lbs to 195 in about a week, at the end of the second week i was 190.

that was starving.

and then i gained it back over two months for football. lifting weights and inhaling everything edible. which meant blender food.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, I need some jaw surgery.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    fuck jaw surgery.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited April 2011

when i had my jaw surgery i went from approx. 225lbs to 195 in about a week, at the end of the second week i was 190.

that was starving.

and then i gained it back over two months for football. lifting weights and inhaling everything edible. which meant blender food.

Damn that's ridiculous.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to believe in, but as an adult quickly approaching 30 years old, I think I've worked it out sufficiently to be in a place that I'm comfortable.

Basically:

1. I believe in God;
    2. God/Jesus's teachings are basically, "Try your best to be a good person" (Don't be a dick);
    3. Live my life according to the morals my parents taught me in order to facilitate #2;
    4. The Bible is a good tool for teaching/seeking guidance but it's 100% true/factual and shouldn't be read as such; and
    5. Organized religion/church-going is not for me but I won't judge anyone who finds it beneficial

That's the long and short of it and I think I've done pretty good so far.

e: in response to the conversation on the last page

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ugh my house is formatted so awfully. There's no place for me to get some fucking privacy.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ugh my house is formatted so awfully. There's no place for me to get some fucking privacy.

:winky:

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    How often is it that students go into a 5th year of study at University? It would probably end up being a 4th year of study for me, but nonetheless.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

:winky:

You're joking but this is exactly what I'm talking about.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    it's pretty common, i think, especially in more technical degrees or for people who are double majoring

i know lots of friends who are in programs that are specifically designed for five years

satansfingers on
  • Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Depends on the school. Our bookstore sells a shirt that says "VCU The Best 5-7 Years Of My Life" so it's not a huge deal here, but at the other school I went to for a bit it was a big deal.

Borommakot on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How often is it that students go into a 5th year of study at University? It would probably end up being a 4th year of study for me, but nonetheless.

Only 20% of the students in my college finish in 4 years.

Hell, they start the 'welcome to the land of stress, anger, and disappointment' speech by having you look to the people to the left and right of you and saying one of them will drop out in the first year.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    jeez i didn't think that was a real thing

satansfingers on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I plan on going to the culinary arts program at a local college

not only will I not have to take anything other than cooking classes, my grant should take care of the entire tuition! woohoo!

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So I visited UT Austin on Friday (and by visited I mean walked around Campus for a little while) and decided to come back the last week of school, exam week which is a week I probably won't have to attend because of exemptions, and speak with a admission's advisor and, after looking around on the Liberal Arts, I now have a lot of questions for them: specifically being AP testing and placement.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Only 20% of the students in my college finish in 4 years.

Hell, they start the 'welcome to the land of stress, anger, and disappointment' speech by having you look to the people to the left and right of you and saying one of them will drop out in the first year.

they did that to me too, not sure if it is true though, i haven't heard any statistics like you have

i thought it was just a scare tactic but after meeting a lot of people i figure a third of them probably will drop out

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    my uni has like a 32% graduation rate so I'd say that statistic hits pretty close to home for me.

Kabitzy on
This discussion has been closed.