As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hunt On] Wii Hunt Info Thread 2.0

1181920212224»

• TheBosZTheBosZ Wut? Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If anyone's in the Hillsboro Oregon area and is still looking, the Fred Meyer on Imbrie (next to 26) has ten or so Wii's as of 30 minutes ago. Plus plenty of accessories.

Plus, the online stock checkers are reporting that both Amazon and Toys 'R' Us have been having the system without a bundle off and on for the past couple of days.

Hurray! The shortage is (almost) over!

TheBosZ on
    3DS Friend Code - 4468-1117-6397
    Let me know if you add me, and I'll add you back. (I'm also on the Roster)
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wish I wasn't at work. Go back and buy another one! :)

Shens on
  • TheBosZTheBosZ Wut? Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shens wrote: »
    I wish I wasn't at work. Go back and buy another one! :)

I've had mine for a couple of months now. I was there picking up another points card.

You could call and ask them, they were holding them back behind the counter.

TheBosZ on
    3DS Friend Code - 4468-1117-6397
    Let me know if you add me, and I'll add you back. (I'm also on the Roster)
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My summer break starts this weekend...time to begin the Wii hunting anew!

Darlan on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If anyone lives in the Atlanta area, there is a particular Best Buy store (store #501, can't remember place right now) that had over 50 Wii's in stock last time I checked before I got to work. This isn't exactly surprising though, since they had over 90 a few days ago.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2007
    Anyone who's still looking, Best Buys should be holding some Wii's for next Sunday (5/27), and it would be wise to get there early based on the number of people I've been chatting with about it. And if the employees in your local area don't know about/forget about holding them for Sunday, they should be in in the middle of the week.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anyone who's still looking, Best Buys should be holding some Wii's for next Sunday (5/27), and it would be wise to get there early based on the number of people I've been chatting with about it. And if the employees in your local area don't know about/forget about holding them for Sunday, they should be in in the middle of the week.

My Wal-Mart in Newnan, GA recently set up a new Wii display case for all to see in the middle of the electronics section. A few days later, it was populated with a couple Wiis. The next day, there was still a Wii in the case.

Is the drought over?

CZroe on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    CZroe wrote: »

My Wal-Mart in Newnan, GA recently set up a new Wii display case for all to see in the middle of the electronics section. A few days later, it was populated with a couple Wiis. The next day, there was still a Wii in the case.

Is the drought over?

Not everywhere. It's impossible to find one in San Francisco, for example. I would imagine that any other area that's highly populated with tech-savvy gamers has a similar problem.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    edited May 2007

Is the drought over?

Not everywhere. It's impossible to find one in San Francisco, for example. I would imagine that any other area that's highly populated with tech-savvy gamers has a similar problem.

Perhaps, but this part of GA "ain't" exactly Bumfuck. Of course, it's gone now, but I bet I could find one at Sears or someplace people don't go to as often as Wal-Mart. If they have remained in-stock at that Atlanta Best Buy as reported, then this is likely the last "hold for Sunday" week Best Buy will have (all Best Buy stores are holding a certain amount and they will have them next Sunday). Heck, anyone who can't get one here could easily spend the extra 30mins to grab one from that very same Atlanta store.

CZroe on
  • PkErthbndPkErthbnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I finally got a Wii after 5 months of no luck. I went back to middle-of-nowhere Oklahoma for the weekend and went to the EB with some friends. The clerk ((A old chum of mine)) asked if we needed anything else and I jokingly said "Yeah, a Wii would be nice." His response? "We've got 3 in the back." The next day, the Wii was mine. Now back to Twilight Princess!

PkErthbnd on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Does anyone here still need a Wii? Because I can seriously run across the street and get one right now.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've seen one! I've seen one! I was so astonished I took a picture. My first sighting of a Wii in the wild.

I'm sure it's vanished since I saw it. :P
    Wiiwild.jpg

Aurin on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I saw three Wiis in the wild yesterday at a Wal-Mart.

I should have checked to see if they were there still.

DarkPrimus on
    edited May 2007

Is the drought over?

I'm not sure if it's over, but it's definitely gotten a bit better. Anecdotal evidence suggests that Wal-Mart may have some in stock, and I saw some available at a GameStop near my house (and apparently they've had them for a few days). My Best Buy is holding onto 12 for this Sunday, and we've sold about 30 or so this week from the two different shipments we've gotten in (we have none available right now).

Of course, I had at least 10 people ask me about Wii's today, and about 10 more people ask during the week, so to suggest the drought is totally over is a bit premature. The situtation is getting better right now, but it might become a problem again once things like Pokemon hits---heck, it might get worse next week when Mario Party 8 comes out, who knows?

But, even if it isn't as bad as the March doldrums (seriously, we had none the whole month), I think the supply is going to be spotty the entire year unfortunately, especially if Nintendo does indeed manage to get the big 3 out this year.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    the drought is nowhere near over. its more like slowly, next xmas will come and it'll still be a pain to find (the rate its going), slowly reaching there.

ok not really. but the end of the drought isn't anywhere near, speaking from someone who doesn't have one yet.

everytime, somebody says i just saw some, i stupidly get happy and call walmart thinking they might have some, and the clerk says no, in a sort of scoffing sarcastic tone.

theparttime on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My local Wal*Mart had like 5 or so, maybe more.

None had sold in a few hours, but maybe no one knew they were there.

Magus` on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    UK-wise, I just picked one up for my girlfriend's sister from Gamestation.

ToysRUs have loads but only sell them in over-priced bundles with crappy games.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited May 2007
    the drought is nowhere near over. its more like slowly, next xmas will come and it'll still be a pain to find (the rate its going), slowly reaching there.

ok not really. but the end of the drought isn't anywhere near, speaking from someone who doesn't have one yet.

everytime, somebody says i just saw some, i stupidly get happy and call walmart thinking they might have some, and the clerk says no, in a sort of scoffing sarcastic tone.

I wouldn't say so. I mean, it probably LOOKS worse than it is. Case in point? I've still never "seen" a PS3 at Wal-Mart. Just their demo unit. It doesn't mean they don't have them (they do), but when the Wii arrives it is similarly unseen and assumed to be out of stock.

It's gotten to the point where it's all in asking yourself "who WOULD still have them?" if you want to find one. For example, Hastings, the only location in my state, has tons of them with no forced bundle or increased price (though the accessories have a 25% markup). Fry's, with forced bundles, routinely has them (usually bundled with something you'd want anyway for no additional cost... like Twilight Princess for $49.99). Sears is very likely to have them. It takes K-Mart a long time to sell outt when they get shipments if yours are as dead and ignored as most. That's hardly a drought, it just means you have to look around and you probably won't get one at the first stop. In a week or two, I expect it to have improved even more to the point where no retailers will do the "hoard X amount for Sunday" stuff anymore (this is proabably Best Buy's last).

Sure, there will be shortages again come Christmas, but that's not the same situation as now.

CZroe on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Gentlemen, I'd like to welcome you to my first Wii post! That's right, I happened to be at Target this afternoon, and for the first time I can tell, they had several Wiis. I guess production must be picking up.

I picked up Zelda and WarioWare. Once TP is finished, I'll get SPM and some VC games.

So if you're in the Cleveland area, we seem to finally have a Wii supply.

Jimothy on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't think production is picking up, I think demand is finally slowing down.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't think production is picking up, I think demand is finally slowing down.

?
    i'm not so sure about that.

Guek on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Does anyone here still need a Wii? Because I can seriously run across the street and get one right now.

I've been waiting FOREVER for one. I have a unique situation though. If I wait long enough, I can get 10% off the price, provided my workplace gets one in. It seems my area just doesn't get enough Wii's in for the demand. I've been itching for some wii tennis ever since playing it at a friends house on new years.

I don't know if saving 25$ is going to drive me insane in the process or not :(
    It just might

If fred meyers gets some in tommorrow morning and I can snag one, I might be excited.

Viscountalpha on
    edited May 2007
    I guess I should have clarified that I was offering to go pick that Wii up for anyone who wanted it. It's gone now, though.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I got a Mother-fucking-Wii! :D

I actually joked with a friend of mine as we were about to go get Pokemon at our local target: "Ain't it, we walk in and find a couple of Wiis there on display, haha"

Sure enough, bam, 7 Wiis were behind the glass. Quickly got a floor worker there to get two for us.

I asked when they got them, and he said just then.

By pure luck, we walked in and walked out each with a Wii in hand without even trying. Lucky bastards we are.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Picked one up on Saturday in Bromley woolworths. (UK)
    They only had 2 in there and had to discuss for 5 mniutes whether or not they'd sell it to me. A few places down Bromley was boasting wii stock.

S-Starwind on
    XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Did we have a UK Wii hunt thread? I can't search for it because both 'Wii' and 'UK' are less than the minimum characters for a search. :/ I'm heading home tomorrow and want to pick up a Wii for the summer; what are the best shops to hit? Is stock still that sparse even this late on?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2007
    S-Starwind wrote: »
    They only had 2 in there and had to discuss for 5 mniutes whether or not they'd sell it to me. A few places down Bromley was boasting wii stock.

What? Why wouldn't they sell you one?

Unknown User on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pictures of systems in the wild? Awesome!

NOW WHERE'DA'FUG'S THE NUNCHUKS?!?!

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I got one at Best Buy here in Calgary yesterday. Went there for something else, and noticed a whole bunch of Wii boxes in their big rolling cage that they stick expensive stuff in, and snagged one right away. I wasn't even expecting to see any just sitting there, or to get one this soon(I havn't even looked at what games are out or are coming to see what I might like).

Interpreter on
  • S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Rygar wrote: »

I dont even think they knew why. All they kept saying was they wasnt sure whether or not they were allowed to sell them. I asked them if they had outstanding pre-orders to supply to first but they said no. So I cant think of any other reason as to why they would be in doubt about selling it to me.

Maybe its like, holy? o.O

S-Starwind on
    XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • TabrisTabris Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Any rumors on any upcoming Sunday sales? I am still looking for one for a friend....

Tabris on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Rygar wrote: »

Virgin/HMV are a good bet. If you don't mind the bundle deals then Toys R Us too. Check online with www.argos.co.uk, if you spot one in stock in your local area you can reserve it and then go pay.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • jivedansonjivedanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ah, what a kick in the pants: I had to ship my Wii back to Nintendo.

I hadn't played the system much in the last few weeks (broke and got bored of my games) and left it on standby mode (orange LED) connected to the Interweb(s). Tried to turn it on the other day, and nothing happened.

Unplugged the system, plugged it back in, and like some creepy homage to the Xbox 360, I got a red LED. Pressing the power button, no effect. No matter what you did, it stayed red and very, very off.

Called Nintendo, shipped it back for repairs. Guy said it was rare, but he's heard of it happening.

Now, I feel surprisingly... unendowed. My Wii broke. It's hard for guys.

jivedanson on
    Wii: 4407 5109 2137 5400