As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thinking about a New Flight Stick

BlandlytastefulBlandlytasteful GruelmasterThe Dark LunchroomRegistered User regular
Now, I know nothing about them, never have had/used one. What should I know? I looked at amazon, and liked http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Flight-Game-console/dp/B001CXYMFS/ref=pd_ys_qtk_wl_t?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1T4QLDGL8TI3X&colid=3D9H5ILLKMWQN&pf_rd_p=1286263542&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=home&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09N0G0SEDZ2FJ3JTQ150. Should I even be looking on amazon, or somewhere else?
Guide me, oh people with knowledge!

Steam: Blandlytasteful | XBL: Blandlytasteful | PSN: Blandlytasteful | 3DS: 3411-0354-2109
steam_sig.png
Blandlytasteful on

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Like the Saitek X52 way back when for the price and configurability. Had problems with losing centering over time. RMA'ed once and the replacement exhibited the same problem in a shorter amount of time.

Games for me were IL2, and freespace 2.

Sure there will be other folks jumping in.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    BlandlytastefulBlandlytasteful Gruelmaster The Dark LunchroomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For a bit more information, though I plan to be getting a good amount of enjoyment out of this, the immediate goal is to surprise my gf, who used to be way into these games... http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6330 I figured I would pick that set up, (when/wherever I see it on sale) and have a stick ready to surprise her at some random time.

Blandlytasteful on
    Steam: Blandlytasteful | XBL: Blandlytasteful | PSN: Blandlytasteful | 3DS: 3411-0354-2109
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Be a man.

And yeah, amazon is as good a place as any to look. Only one I've used recently was a Saitek X52, and it was pretty decent. Didn't have the centering issue grouch mentioned, but that could just be luck. Hopefully somebody else can help you out more.

I mainly just wanted to link that one, because it makes me all tingly in my nethers. Even though I'll never, ever buy it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Amazon.com an excellent place to get this sort of stuff. If $500 is a bit too much for you, and you want to be a man who also uses his feet, you can't go wrong with the ONLY hotas with force feedback on the market--however, hotas might be more than you want.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    BlandlytastefulBlandlytasteful Gruelmaster The Dark LunchroomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, force feedback was something that the girlfriend has mentioned that she greatly enjoyed. I found out that she used to have was this, http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Sidewinder-Force-Feedback-Joystick/dp/B00005NIMB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303601394&sr=8-1... which is apparently not something they have continued making.

I'd like to do something like that footin' setup, but maybe piece by piece, if that is an option. I'd prefer to be able to sneaky give this to her, and if I can keep the price below 150 or so, that would be much easier.

Blandlytasteful on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I find force feedback absolutely crucial to the immersion factor of games like IL-2 and FSX, especially in area of landings and the like, but they really make Arma 2 more fun--I mean, you're in a T-72 with a 125 mm gun, you think there will be some kickback and whatnot.

Some people dismiss it as a novelty, and I guess I can see where they're coming from. Maybe. Kind of.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Saitek sticks are good, but they do have durability issues in certain areas.

Phoenix-D on