As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Warlocks: We wear cloth.

• Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't be afraid to get some PVP gear too. Resilience wont do you much good, but it's pretty easy to get some small bits for the stamina (which is basically mana for Warlocks). It'll help gear you out for heroics/whatever.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So my lock's chilling at about 20 right now, Demo specc'd

At this point it seems like I could grind my way to 60 in twelve hours just by finding green mobs, tossing Incinerate/Corruption on one, tabbing to the next, and repeating, while my Felguard chops through them like a goddamn chainsaw

At what point does this stop?

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    northrend, basically; maybe BC if you aren't heirloomed out

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So my lock's chilling at about 20 right now, Demo specc'd

At this point it seems like I could grind my way to 60 in twelve hours just by finding green mobs, tossing Incinerate/Corruption on one, tabbing to the next, and repeating, while my Felguard chops through them like a goddamn chainsaw

At what point does this stop?

Why'd you want to skip all the new quests though? They're pretty entertaining.

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't sell yourself short of the new quests.

I am half tempted to roll another lock just because it is so much god damn fun.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I agree, I deleted my 80 Space Goat Warrior (only notable loss was the PVP Bear mount) and rerolled her as a Blood Elf, and ran her to the undead starting area. Trisfal Glades/Silverpine was great.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    NamonNamon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ya all the new quests are awesome and frankly... that's about the only way grinding would be faster (dotting an army of mobs) since questing really does blaze you to 60. (2 hourish a day person here and I can get to 60 in just shy of two weeks)

My question: is there any way to get your pet's mana to regen (IE for your pet to drink)? Right now if I see they are below 40% or so I dismiss and resummon (with it soul sharded for insta cast) or mount and dismount if I'm outside to get them back to 100. Not that either option is really a pain, just wondering if I'm missing something.

Namon on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Mana Feed talent (Demonology Tree) gives your pet mana back when you life tap. That's probably your best bet.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Eh Destro here and that was all I could find. It's no biggie as to cook up a new pet is an instant cast and I just drink (or I just mount/dismount)

Namon on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What level are you? I've never noticed my Imps mana being an issue.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    35 now. I'm using my slut whore as a pseudo tank (she keeps them occupied long enough for them to be mostly dead enough to be smacked by a shadow bolt when they are dazed running at me) but her mana does run out, especially after heavy fights.

Namon on
  • Options
    derangedhermitderangedhermit Madstrike PortugalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, my warlock is finally 85 but i still haven't done any instances with her. Kinda wanted to get a few addons (a better dot timer) and some macros.

For macros, for now i'm just thinking on something for my CC (Fear, Banish) and one to tag /petattack to some random spell i use to control the imp, since i want him on passive in case of CC. Anything else important that i'm forgetting?

Dot timers , what are you people using? I've been using one that came with my UI based of OuF but i feel the need for something with a bit more features.

derangedhermit on
    Battle.net: Madstrike#2175 , GuildWars2: Madstrike.1436
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't know how many more features you're looking for, but I use NeedToKnow for DoTs. If you want something that will keep you updated on DoTs that aren't on either your target or your focus target, you'll need something else.

forty on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like needtoknow a lot, but it's anything but feature-rich.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    X Equals LoserX Equals Loser Wilford Brimley Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I use Forte for my timers. I turn off most of the other parts of the addon, but the dot timers actually show ticks, and the cooldown bar is pretty sweet.

I also have an ISF macro that triggers soul burn and fires off a Soul Fire for when I'm moving.

X Equals Loser on
    xequalsloser.gif
  • Options
    BeaunBeaun Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I use DOTimer and like it, havn't tried NeedToKnow but I'm going to give it a try now.

Beaun on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think i've settled on Raven. Seems to be a little better than NeedToKnow which i didn't like that much.

For SoulFire, i'm using ... SoulFired :> It's a little addon that starts spamming your chat (self, not /say or party+raid+etc) besides having a sound alert when the SoulFire cooldown reaches belows 6s. It still has some problems but it's the best i found for me.

derangedhermit on
  • Options
    Jolt ColaJolt Cola Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Forte is where it's at. It's included in LUI.

Jolt Cola on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, after playing a bit more with my lock and starting to sink back into its gameplay, i'm thinking on replacing Raven with Forte. Which is what i used way back in TBC when i was still on the US servers.

The ability to track 'stuff' on multiple mobs is more than enough to guarantee the switch.

derangedhermit on
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How is the DMC: Volcano for Affliction Warlocks? I know Mastery isn't the best stat but that effect seems pretty badass. I've kind of hit the max of gear from Heroics and JP so now I'm just trying to figure how to upgrade my slots. Figure if the Volcano card is worth it I can put in the time to make one.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, what's the best way to use bane of havoc in heroics? Is it even worth using on trash? Would demo or aff do better in heroics?

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, what's the best way to use bane of havoc in heroics? Is it even worth using on trash? Would demo or aff do better in heroics?

Not really worthwhile in heroics, but of course I'm at the point where we just aoe everything down. But for raid bosses its great, stick it on nef in P2 while you're dpsing the pillar adds. Stuff it on Maloriak and Halfus when you aoe adds, put it on theralion while fighting Valiona and vice versa. Its a great tool.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The volcano card is apparently the best trinket currently available, which is kind of surprising for me given how mediocre mastery is. The proc is pretty great, though

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So, on trinkets. I'm eventually going to try to get the Volcano card, but in the meantime...

I'm currently using Gale of Shadows and Witching Hourglass as destro. I'm trying to get Anhuur's Hymal/Stump of Time for raiding, and trying to get Sorrowsong because it seems like it'd be decent for...something.

They all seem like great trinkets, but I'm not really sure which combination I should be using when. There's also that int trinket with a spirit proc, not sure if that'd be good for me. Help!

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, on trinkets. I'm eventually going to try to get the Volcano card, but in the meantime...

I'm currently using Gale of Shadows and Witching Hourglass as destro. I'm trying to get Anhuur's Hymal/Stump of Time for raiding, and trying to get Sorrowsong because it seems like it'd be decent for...something.

They all seem like great trinkets, but I'm not really sure which combination I should be using when. There's also that int trinket with a spirit proc, not sure if that'd be good for me. Help!

Most of the trinkets are just confusing or just meh so far I have Anhuur's Hymal and Sorrowsong right now the normal ones

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So I've been playing Affliction recently and after a few bumps learning it's...kind of fun. I can't figure out *why* it's fun, because it seems like I have about half as much to manage as destro. 25k shadow bite crits are nice though.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    human priest > human mage > orc warlock

I have made the final reroll.

LOK'TAR OGAR!

Xehalus on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    [WoW] Xehalus: He wears cloth.

forty on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I tried plate, mail, and leather.

Cloth is more comfortable.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote:

Most of the trinkets are just confusing or just meh so far I have Anhuur's Hymal and Sorrowsong right now the normal ones

Volcano is pretty much the best warlock trinket in the game right now - if you are a JC the figurine is also stupid good for its ilvl - because its static +int and a spellpower proc it basically has two primary stats vs one primary and one secondary on every other trinket ever.

• Options
    planetes42planetes42 Registered User regular
    Hey all, this thread is several months old but I'm hoping you can help me out anyhow.

I just joined a raiding guild and am having significant issues with my dps. Failing at boss mechanics aside, I am pulling ~18k with ilvl 364 gear as aff/demo. On Rag I am triggering the traps, but I think I should still be higher than 18, right?

Here is a WoL if you want detailed data (I'm the warlock, obviously): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-iwxpfdvikkpzccud/details/52/?s=7186&e=7755

My general rotation:
    Keep up all dots (UA/Immolate; Corruption; Doom; Curse of Elements; Haunt/Hand of Guldan)
    Fill with Shadowbolts
    For Aff, Demon Soul/Trinkets are macro'd to Haunt so they are used in conjunction & on cooldown (although I don't have any 'on-use' trinks right now)
    For Demo, Demon Soul/Trinkets are bound to Metamorphosis
    For Aff I swap to Drain Soul at 25%, only stopping to refresh Haunt and throwing an instant cast SB when available
    For Demo, I swap to Incinerate when Molten Core procs and Soul Fire during Decimate

For both specs, I am using Guldan/Haunt as soon as they come off cooldown, not waiting until their respective buffs need refreshed. For all dots I refresh them with about 2 seconds left, making sure they don't fall off but presumably before the last tick.

If in melee range, I am using shadowflame on cooldown, but I am not in melee range typically.

Ok, sorry for the wall-o-text. I fear I am about 1-2 weeks from losing my spot if I don't up my dps, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help,

~Mythesis

• Options
    I haven't looked at the log, but 18k isn't completely terrible for sub-370 gear, on fights where there's a decent amount of movement.

immediate thoughts:

you can probably increase your dps somewhat by managing trinket/demon soul independently of haunt, so that it coincides with other raid cooldowns (heroism) or at times when you know you'll be able to nuke for ~20 seconds. Refresh all your dots immediately when you hit demon soul, and again right before it ends (this isn't important if you're using a felguard obviously.)

Binding trinkets to meta as demonology is potentially a bad idea. If you're using the moonwell chalice (and you should be, as demo) for example, and it's macroed with meta, latency can cause meta to fire before the server registers your increased mastery. Bad news.

Demo uses hand of gul'dan on cooldown, but affliction only wants to cast haunt as often as is needed to keep the debuff up. It isn't as poor in terms of D/CT as it used to be, but shadowbolt is still better.

It's hard to evaluate dot uptime from a log on a fight like rag, but obviously have a timer you trust and don't fail at that. You might be recasting UA a little bit early if you're aiming at 2s left, but that isn't going to make a huge difference.

Melee have the advantage over you on rag, since movement penalizes them a lot less than it does you (particularly if you're demo.)

Are you itemized well/correctly?

Looking at the graph of the log for your kill attempt, your dps seems competitive (if on the low end) after you get out of phase one. Taking the traps does make an impact, at least if I trust our mage's constant whining about it. Dying with 30s left also doesn't help, obviously.

faux ed: more logreading, it looks like you only used meta three times over almost 10 minutes? That is the biggest thing you need to fix. I can usually use it twice per phase as demo (maybe only once in P2 if you use it to aoe.)

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    oh, and replace the corruption glyph with incinerate

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Pig:

Thank you for the helpful response. Do you redo Doom with Demon Soul as well or just the first two?

I will def get more uptime on Demo, thanks for pointing that out. I think I saved it for the adds a few times and shouldn't have worried about it as much.

interesting you say Incin > Corruption glyph. I would have though [without data/citations] that corruption's constant ticking would be more beneficial than the occasional MC proc. But, you clearly know what you're talking about so I'll defer to you.

Speaking of trinkets -- I have a boatload to pick from. You said Chalice for Demo? I assume pop it right before going into demo? The other would be Darkmoon Card yes? For aff, what would you recommend? I have the JC trinket which apparently is really good, I Just feel odd sporting a blue trinket when I have the one off Rag + the others available.

• Options
    I assume you found my armory, btw, but if not:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightninghoof/Mythesis/simple

• Options
    yeah, redo doom while demon soul is up; the 20% buff applies to it too

the corruption glyph just gives you a free instant shadowbolt every once in a while. It contributes a really low amount of effective haste; the only reason aff uses it is that every other aff glyph is worse.

The chalice is ridiculous for demo; 1700 mastery can wind up being 10%+ more damage while meta is active (the damage bonus from meta is calculated only once, when you pop it, so the trinket proc goes a long way.) For aff I would stick with the lightning capacitor and the darkmoon card. I dunno precisely how beneficial the proc on the capacitor is in terms of dps, but it's like 120 more native int than the JC trinket. Heart of ignacious is really good too, if you have one of those.

my least favorite thing about demo is managing the meta cooldown, especially since you can lose so much damage if you aren't lucky with impending doom procs

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    ok, thanks again. I really appreciate your help. It's rare to find extremely helpful / knowledgeable people in random online forums.

• Options
    Pig, one more question for you:

Apparently in my frequent breaks from the game I missed a key mechanic change: DoTs now update stats only on application/refresh. If I'm not mistaken, back in Wrath didn't they update constantly?

Which means, some cooldowns demand a DoT refresh (as already noted: Demon Soul; Metamorphosis)

Do any other cooldowns/procs/etc warrant a "Clip this DoT & reapply"?

Thanks again!

~Mythesis

• Options
    I personally only worry about it for demon soul, metamorphosis, heroism and other fight-specific circumstances where you get significant buffs (alysrazor!)

Probably if you were monitoring power torrent, volcano card, and whatever other procs you have it might be worth it to refresh dots when a couple of them line up (which they frequently do given their ICDs), but I've never had the patience to really track it.

The one exception is bane of doom, since it's duration is so long and it's spellpower coefficient is so high. I'll refresh it early sometimes if I happen to notice power torrent/darkmoon card go off one after the other.

And yeah, the main mechanic change from early wrath is that dots adjust to your spellpower/haste/crit/mastery when they're refreshed, rather than maintaining whatever values they started with. I don't think warlock dots ever updated per tick but that might be wrong, I was unsubbed for a good chunk of wrath. They also don't clip anymore, so refreshing them early doesn't cost you time between ticks, just the lost cast time. You still don't want to refresh them early for that reason, but it's not as big a deal as it was. Forget when that change happened.

To the extent that it matters, corruption and UA affectively do update per tick once you get into drain soul range.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Hmm...

So realistically, what should an afflock in my gear do dmg wise standing alone on a dummy with only my own buffs? I just stood in front of ye olde dummy for 12 minutes and pulled 16.3K. That seems....low?

I remacro'd demon soul to trigger: Soul Casket Trinket; Demon Soul; Curse of Doom
    I only hit the macro when the Darkmoon Card procced [or if it's been down a while and I know it'll proc soon].
    During the Demon Soul, I made sure to refresh UA at the start and then again just before it fell off. If lightweave/power torrent also procced and the Darkmoon card was still up, I threw Doom back up as well. Haunt I just rolled with as normal since the timing there forced it to refresh corruption whenever anyhow.
    I put Doom up after it fell off every time waiting for the next Demon Soul phase.

I even popped my doomguard twice .

There is a chance I didn't have Dark Intent on my pet, but even with +3% haste I don't think I would have broken 17K dps.

Fwiw -- I'm using quartz as my cast bar to make sure I account for latency & using "TellMeWhen" to track dots/buff procs.

Yes, I had Curse of Elements up.

I started with SB -> Haunt -> Doom -> Corruption -> UA. Filled with SB's. About 1/2 the time I threw in Shadowflames as well [but wasn't consistent since i wouldn't normally be in melee range anyhow].

I am going to run a demonology test later, but am tired and will most likely go to bed before that happens.

Thanks again.

~Mythesis: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightninghoof/Mythesis/advanced

This discussion has been closed.