As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

school is for pretentious assholes

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, I was ABOUT to go to bed when my mind suddenly clicked about my Math homework. Couple hours later, I have figured out pre-calc style ellipses, and mastered a principle of fractions/division that I already should have known.

Go me.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    Skettios, can you tell me more about being a math major than just "you do math"

Cause I mean right now I am loving the applicable stuff, like I hated learning limits, but once I learned how to do delta epsilon proofs and realized how incredibly useful they are for determining margins of error in production, or how you could use that information to explain things that actually happen I get about doing it

what is up bro

do you have the option to be an applied math major or focus on applied stuff

what kind of options do you have and what are your more specific interests

would you like to mathematically model weather systems using a complex series of dynamic equations
    or do crazy numerical methods things to compute some solutions to some hard ass problems
    or use machine learning to do things with statistics

mathssss

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    on my second of three papers this year i found a firefox plugin that does law-formatted citations for me

it changed my life basically, because i hate this style

Whoa, where?

and do they have a Chrome edition?

MrMonroe on
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    http://www.citegenie.com/

only for firefox, it looks like. this thing really saved me on unpublished opinions.

satansfingers on
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So this annoying as hell known for being difficult mandatory course is pissing me off. I've done two reading responses so far, and the first one I got a B on, because I "didn't include everything that was asked", even though I did include it, I just didn't say AND HERE I'M TALKING ABOUT THIS PART THAT I'M GOING TO TALK ABOUT so apparently the TA is incapable of seeing it!

So I fixed this for my second response, and what do I get? A B-, despite spending way more time on the assignment than it should have ever warranted, and basically (I felt) knocking it out of the fucking park. I absolutely hate some of the TAs in this major. I've had entire courses just ruined because specific TAs grade so harshly or without any concept of constructive criticism that it defeats the purpose of even trying. If the best anyone can get is a B+, why even have a 4 point grading scale?

This wouldn't be so bad if the University told you what TAs would be grading each course in addition to the instructors (which they still don't list correctly half the time). There are so many jaded old professors in this department. There are whole subjects I never want to touch because of their asinine grading concepts.

It makes me feel like I'm a robot jumping after numbers rather than a student trying to engage material and learn a concept. Instead it's a game of "guess the preferred theoretical perspective of your TA and win a great grade! otherwise forget about grad school."

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Isoldae wrote: »
    I did it.

I completed my annotated bibliography.

Those things are literally the worst.

Do you do your bibs completely from scratch?

Is a way to not do them completely from scratch?

Also Dich they are when my annotated bib is 8 pages and the paper only has to be 4.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Cause I mean right now I am loving the applicable stuff, like I hated learning limits, but once I learned how to do delta epsilon proofs and realized how incredibly useful they are for determining margins of error in production, or how you could use that information to explain things that actually happen I get about doing it

what is up bro

would you like to mathematically model weather systems using a complex series of dynamic equations
    or do crazy numerical methods things to compute some solutions to some hard ass problems

mathssss

I get really excited about learning wacky equations that actually explain real life things, and I absolutely hate statistics, so I think the first is the most interesting!
    I plan on attending OSU and they don't seem to have an actual applied focus, but in the degree requirements there definitely seem to be more applied based courses. What I like about math is using it to explain real world happenings, which might lean more towards physics, I don't know yet I haven't taken my physics course yet.

HellaJeff on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    haha i'm done fuck you essay!

3.5k words in two days. not as good as some prolific writers i know, but not bad. not bad at all.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I did it.

I completed my annotated bibliography.

Those things are literally the worst.

Do you do your bibs completely from scratch?

Is a way to not do them completely from scratch?

Also Dich they are when my annotated bib is 8 pages and the paper only has to be 4.

There are a lot of bib helpers out there, you can just plug the information in and it creates the source in whatever format you need easybib.com is one

HellaJeff on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

what is up bro

mathssss

I get really excited about learning wacky equations that actually explain real life things, and I absolutely hate statistics, so I think the first is the most interesting!
    I plan on attending OSU and they don't seem to have an actual applied focus, but in the degree requirements there definitely seem to be more applied based courses. What I like about math is using it to explain real world happenings, which might lean more towards physics, I don't know yet I haven't taken my physics course yet.

mmm, yes
    i ended up doing applied math degree out of actually not knowing what i wanted to do, but it truly is a flexible thing. my applied math courses were also requirements for a lot of my friends who were applied physics majors... there are a lot of ways you can go with applied math stuff.
    i mean, the basics you'll need are solid basic linear algebra and differential equations stuff, and then the rest you can focus as you see fit.
    partial differential equations for example are needed for understanding things like the heat equation. dynamical systems of differential equations can be used to model any number of real world systems. OSU is a big school so i'm sure you'll be able to find courses you want as you figure it out.

i see that they offer an AB and a BS in maths. i'd assume one might be more applied math inclined but i'm not sure. however:

Mathematics Requirements
    The department offers seven tracks: Traditional Math, Math
    for Educators, Financial Math, Biomath, Applied Math, Applied
    Discrete Math, and Honors Math. Students should discuss their
    long-term goals with their academic advisor to determine the
    best mathematics track for them

so really it looks like they are pretty flexible.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I saw the prom photos

Holy shit it is incredible how badly I photograph. Once again I learn that it is best to not smile at all.

Muse Among Men on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    prom date: check

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    not going to prom: check

Antimatter on
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i never went to prom

and look at me now!

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »

Do you have any friends going? It can still be fun!

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
    edited April 2011
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    anyone who boos bill nye

is on my list of the worst people

BugBoy on
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    even if Bill Nye said it DID emit light

you don't boo Bill Nye

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

edited April 2011

eh

one or two friends versus a whole bunch of people who tolerate or dislike me
    and it costs like 75 bucks

most of my friends are in agreement with me that prom sucks balls and there's no point in going

one of my friends went last year, and apparently all they did for music was play from a radio station that exclusively plays shitty pop music

no one really danced, they just kinda shuffled back and forth, and she ended up just talking with her friends a bit or standing to the side

this info was coming from a really rad arty chick that everyone gets along with sooooo I feel quite fine in just staying home and reading or internetting or gaming

Antimatter on
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Seriously. Booing Bill Nye is the worst thing I can think of.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

eh

one or two friends versus a whole bunch of people who tolerate or dislike me
    and it costs like 75 bucks

most of my friends are in agreement with me that prom sucks balls and there's no point in going

one of my friends went last year, and apparently all they did for music was play from a radio station that exclusively plays shitty pop music

no one really danced, they just kinda shuffled back and forth, and she ended up just talking with her friends a bit or standing to the side

this info was coming from a really rad arty chick that everyone gets along with sooooo I feel quite fine in just staying home and reading or internetting or gaming

Oh yeah okay if prom itself sucks then yeah don't bother. No dancing? Meh.

You should still organize something with you friends though to commemorate the event.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Will probably end up going to prom with friends.

I plan to ride in on style, ala Camel.

Oghulk on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    People booed Bill Nye because of science facts? Burn Waco down. Call the Clinton administration (bad joke).

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just plain don't get that mindset

My family was pretty damn religious at one point but I don't recall them treating science as if it was religion's antimatter

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited April 2011
    yeah the text I was going to link was originally a Branch Davidian joke but I thought better of it

MrMonroe on
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dubh wrote: »
    People booed Bill Nye because of science facts? Burn Waco down.

I... see what you did there?

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
    edited April 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »

My family was pretty damn religious at one point but I don't recall them treating science as if it was religion's antimatter

my mom does, but my family is just plain irrational anyway

she can't stand to think about evolution, and my dad refuses to believe in global warming

Antimatter on
    edited April 2011
    I've come to terms with how terrible I am.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ubik wrote: »
    i never went to prom

and look at me now!

same!
    h5?

skettios on
    edited April 2011
    the problem with religious people like this (people who read the entire Bible literally)

is that they think disproving one verse of the Bible (which is a particularly poetic/figurative verse to begin with)

disproves the existence of God

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Every semester the biology department fails to account for how many students there are in the upper division program, creating a cluster fuck of registration.

This semester is no different. All the prereqs for the major, like physics, overlap with the few classes that still have a decent amount of spots left in them, and those that MCAT people like myself should take have 2 seats remaining with over 30 kids yet to register.

Yay!

Wombat!! on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Huh so I graduate high school on the 7th of June, grad night is that day too.

And it seems I missed a pretty bitchin' after prom party.

Muse Among Men on
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »

it's never seemed incompatible to me either, my dad is a scientist and religious. I was so confused when my biology teacher in high school felt the need to explain why he was going to teach evolution (for the benefit of the religious cohort in class).

bowtiedseal on
    edited April 2011
    We learned evolution in biology; our biology teacher was Hindu so she was bitter about it but she taught it anyway.

Muse Among Men on
    edited April 2011
    We were taught evolution in Bio freshman year.

Oh man was that raising up a hilarious shit storm.

Oghulk on
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Obscure Bill Nye fact: My stepdad is related to Bill Nye, I think the Nye's and the Lankford's split off like 3 generations ago.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Still planning on going back to school to make up that one fucking semester that's keeping me from graduating.

I keep telling myself that once I actually get a decent job and some savings I'll get it over with, but if it's been a few years I may just do it anyway and make things work around it.

Javen on
    edited April 2011
    I only remember a few people objecting, and many seemed to already be familiar with it. Eh.

Muse Among Men on
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    We have a really good evolutionary biology class that I want to take next semester, but it overlaps with physics.

Well, with algebra-based physics, at least. I could take calculus based and take evolution, but I'm not confident enough in my calculus, having only taken it for one semester, and that was a year ago.

Wombat!! on
    edited April 2011
    I live in the bible belt though and man oh man was it hilarious.

Kids were threatening to call their parents and shit and the teacher literally said:

"You can try, but I'll take your phone, send you to the princpal's office for insubordination, and your parents won't be able to do a damn thing because this is state-mandated, so sit your little selves back down and get over it."

Students in my grade are a bit more open-minded about these things now, or at least understand that it's ok to disagree with something and not be indignant little assholes about it.

Oghulk on
This discussion has been closed.