As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SOLVED

Triple BTriple B Bastard of the NorthMARegistered User regular
edited November 2020 in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern
n/a

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
Triple B on

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Your TV may have a fairly simple fix. Dead doesn't not mean its trash.
    You don't need 1080 unless you sit fairly close to your screen.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100009312%204021&IsNodeId=1&name=%24500%20-%20%24750
    Your top brands are going to be Samsung, Panasonic, LG, Sony, and Vizio.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Thanks for the input.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yes. Short answer: 120hz can run different feeds smoother. Depending on options, I'd lump it in with one of those things you can live without until you have it. Its also awesome for sports I hear.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think Panasonic makes a 42" G-series plasma that should be on the upper end of your budget range - I have the 50" G25 and it's been pretty solid.

The current model is the TC-P42GT25 (3d capable), but if you can find the non-3d one it should be cheaper than 700, unless supplies have dried up.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Really, a plasma. Isn't plasma kind of old hat at this point? Signs I'm seeing are pointing to LED-LCD being a better choice these days. Am I just that ignorant? :(

Edit: To amend the purpose of the OP, I've decided to hold off until a month from now when I have an actual budget for a new TV. That said, I just found this thing on Newegg, and everything about it says to me, "This is a nice fucking TV". I'm looking at the specs and practically drooling over it. The one thing that almost makes me a bit hesitant is that there have been zero user reviews. What do you guys think, is this particular TV really that brand new, or do people just not buy Panasonic?

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Plasmas still have the best contrast ratio. OLED is the future though.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Problem with LED-LCDs mostly has to do with the range of colors emitted, iirc. Basically you're paying for the thinner profile, which can be a selling point depending on how much room you have to work with. Black levels are deeper on plasmas, though LCDs can get close with the LED localized dimming tech...but those models tend to cost a lot more than $700 too :)

Most panasonic owners I know went the plasma route; I've never looked up the panasonic LCDs, but check the AVSForum threads in their LCD TV section:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=166

That place is my go-to site when I need to ramp up on modern audio/video stuff, the posters there are diehard fanatics.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC