As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Even [insert group] deserves a vigorous defense

spool32spool32 Contrary LibraryRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Most of you would be very comfortable filling those brackets with any number of disfavored groups because you believe, and rightly so, that speech is important and everyone is entitled to a strong defense regardless of the speech involved. Most of you, I suspect, would extend that to cover a wider sphere than just speech as well, and would agree that each deserves his day in court - especially if some injustice has a shot at being ended over the objection of a vocal and belligerent opposition.

I agree entirely.

Now let's turn our thoughts to this:

KalTorak wrote: »
The law firm hired by the GOP to defend DOMA has thought better of it.

edit: reading the article, it looks like it's probably not the only firm the GOP hired, but still.

Awesome. Good for that law firm.

I believe marriage ought not be restricted by sex. Let me say this again lest various geese decide black is white, up is down, and I am a homophobe: I believe marriage ought not be restricted by sex. Period.

But I also believe that those opposed to the idea have their day in court, that they may be ultimately defeated. Furthermore, I believe that questions addressed by DOMA cannot be put to rest within our society by simply ignoring them - DOMA should be defended, that it can be struck down over that vigorous defense.

There's no victory in beating a side that doesn't take the field.

More broadly, being pleased that public opinion drove this law firm out of the case is entirely wrongheaded. No one threatened to boycott the firms employing defenders of the WTC bombing. Tim McVeigh's lawfirm still gets candidates from all over the nation. Johnnie Cochran still has a job*. No law school tried to intimidate the firms involved with Lawrence v. Texas, on either side, or the legal parties involved in Citizens United. Legal history is awash in unjust laws and evil men whose lawyers did not suffer for the odious nature of the clients for whom they worked.

All this is entirely sensible, because it is sensible to believe that even the most odious positions, even the most unjust laws, even the most evil people deserve a vigorous defense in court. If you believe DOMA should never have been passed, and never been signed into law, I agree with you. If you believe the Obama administration was right in its decision not to defend the law, we might quibble a bit over the Constitutional duties of the Executive, but I suspect we'd end up agreeing. If you think the House is making a poor moral decision in deciding to defend the law, we might disagree a little more strenuously - there are reasons beyond bigotry to mount a defense.

However, if you believe that it's a good thing to see a vocal and belligerent minority intimidate a law firm into abandoning a case because its client or position was unpopular, I must disagree in the strongest terms. The ramifications are too great, and no one who wishes to see DOMA repealed would want this shoe on the other foot.

Paul Clement, former US Solicitor General, said this today:
"Much has been said about being on the wrong side of history. But being on the right or wrong side of history on the merits is a question for the clients... When it comes to the lawyers, the surest way to be on the wrong side of history is to abandon a client in the face of hostile criticism."

He speaks the truth. Critics of DOMA are correct, and the law should be struck down or repealed. These methods, though, place supporters in opposition to justice, not in defense of it.

----

Politico blurb, including lame excuse from King & Spalding
Paul Clement's resignation letter
HRC's effort to intimidate King & Spalding by smearing its reputation
American University, Georgetown Law preemptively welcome complaints against K&S recruiting on campus

*at least until he died, he did.

spool32 on

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lawyers who are privately hired do not have to continue representation if they don't want to.

Clients can choose lawyers, and vice versa.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    'DOMA' isn't a group and this isn't a criminal trial. The government shouldn't hire a $500 an hour lawyer to defend every viewpoint.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If every lawyer in the country were to listen to a particular client who is wrong and terrible and say "no, you're wrong and terrible and I refuse to take your side," then I don't consider that a particularly great tragedy.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not all viewpoints are worthy of defense.

To co-opt a false equivalence, nobody is going to stick their neck out for the sheep fuckers.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For $500 an hour, I'd defend pedophile sheep rapists.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I'd defend pedophile sheep rapists.

Is that somebody who rapes a pedophile sheep?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    These aren't public defenders at a criminal trial, the lawyers and law firm have no obligation to take on a client they don't want to work for.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Who decides what viewpoint is worthy? How do we identify Wrong and Terrible? Public opinion ran strongly against desegregation both before and after Brown, and I'd be willing to bet that a good 50% of the population believes the act involved in Lawrence is wrong, terrible, or both.

We can't sit atop our moral perch and confidently assume all our beliefs are the correct ones - hell, if we could agree on this sort of ting we wouldn't need a Judicial branch.

These aren't public defenders at a criminal trial, the lawyers and law firm have no obligation to take on a client they don't want to work for.
    Lots of lawyers choose to defend evil, both in criminal and in civil trials. Should we begin pogroms against them all? How would that have worked out had it happened to the lawyers defending the Duke lacrosse players against false rape allegations and a dishonest, overzealous DA?

spool32 on
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Defending a pedophile is one thing. Defending pedophilia is another.

Tenek on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Stop comparing this to a criminal trial

So It Goes on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If someone wants to mount a vigorous defense, be my guest but they'd better do it for free, or maybe on the Speaker's dime. I'm already paying a building full of people to do that job, if they decide it's not worth doing then it's not up to a bystander to decide that I need to pay someone else a hilarious amount of money (or any money at all) to perform the same job.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    In this case, apparently the house majority leader does. He has decided that this viewpoint is "worthy" enough to hire a lawyer that makes $17,000 a week to defend it in court.

I have decided that John Boehner is an asshole.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Spool: What are your feelings on the Emancipation Proclamation? That was a pair of executive orders that effectively rewrote the Constitution to be in line with a pair of amendments that would come more than a year later.

That is a much more blatant example of Executive branch meddling than simply not spending public resources to defend a law that the DoJ has deemed unconstitutional. Are you opposed to Lincoln's actions?

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You have the right to a lawyer for a criminal trial, not for a civil one. If you want to sue someone for some reason and no one wants to take your money for it then that is just how it goes. I don't have a problem with that.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    In case I wasn't clear enough (and in the hopes of keeping us OT for a while at least), I'm thinking specifically about the effort to intimidate K&S into dropping its client, and what it might suggest is acceptable behavior in the future. It could be that their choice was a poor one (I don't agree, but you might), but efforts to punish and intimidate them should be out of bounds.

spool32 on
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I'd defend pedophile sheep rapists.

Is that somebody who rapes a pedophile sheep?

In Soviet Russia, sheep rape ewe!

on topic: Congress is full of lawyers. If they can't find anybody willing to defend the validity of their laws in court, maybe those laws are... indefensible?

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There are just some things that are indefensible. Abject discrimination is one of them.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Okay, these people simple have no standing to defend the law and they know it. Standing is a very important concept in our legal system, basically saying you can't sue or defend people for things they do to other people. In other words stay out of legal disputes that do not involve you. The DOMA supporters have a variety of ways to pursue their agenda in a democratic society, stepping into such legal disputes against the wishes of one party is not one of them. I am pretty sure that the House + Senate could also appoint someone to defend the law, officially, but that congress as a whole does not want to.

There are many positions which are so abhorrent they are indefensible. While individuals within a group that espouses those views should be free to speak as well as receive equal justice in criminal cases, we as a society are not required to treat their views equally.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    spool32 wrote: »
    In case I wasn't clear enough (and in the hopes of keeping us OT for a while at least), I'm thinking specifically about the effort to intimidate K&S into dropping its client, and what it might suggest is acceptable behavior in the future. It could be that their choice was a poor one (I don't agree, but you might), but efforts to punish and intimidate them should be out of bounds.

There's nothing sacrosanct about a law firm. They're a business like any other. They're under no legal or moral obligation to continue an association with a client, and I'm under no legal or moral obligation to refrain from pressuring them to abandon a defense I find odious.

zilo on
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Well, are you going to draw the line anywhere at all? Would we be similarly required to praise K&S for boldly defending a law that legalizes slavery? Genocide?

Tenek on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That goes into the professional ethics of lawyers, and if they wish to establish as a profession that ethically you should not care what your clients viewpoint is I can understand that, but still at the end of the day it is the decision of the law firm. The firm is a business after all and if they feel that the bad publicity from arguing a case like this will cost them money in the long run then I can see why they would not want to.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Businesses can be protested for doing things that are repugnant to enough people. Obviously there are limitations to this, usually when health or safety is concerned, but that doesn't really apply here.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    First off, no, Cochrane doesn't have a job anymore, on account of him spending all of time these days being, well...dead.

Second, DOMA did, in fact, get its day in court. Where it lost. And the executive has chosen to abide by that ruling.

Third, what the House is doing is an extremely dangerous usurpation of Executive authority by the Legislative Branch. It is not the role of Congress to defend laws of the US in the Courts. This is why it is a Good Thing that law firms are refusing to aid the House in suborning the Constitution.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Also p much every lawyer takes an oath to uphold the constitution...

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Spool: What are your feelings on the Emancipation Proclamation? That was a pair of executive orders that effectively rewrote the Constitution to be in line with a pair of amendments that would come more than a year later.

That is a much more blatant example of Executive branch meddling than simply not spending public resources to defend a law that the DoJ has deemed unconstitutional. Are you opposed to Lincoln's actions?

I'm not opposed, but I'm comfortable with a strong executive in most cases. Still, I find myself wary of situations where the Executive is "deeming" things Unconstitutional and I don't think you can just wave concerns away. The question is worth asking, regardless of the answer we arrive at.

If you're in favor of a weak Executive (as most every progressive was during the Bush terms), then I'd expect to see a stronger disagreement with the DoJ sitting on its hands.

Politicization of the DoJ under Bush, and the continuation of that under Obama, make these questions even harder to answer. I wonder whether a decision on DOMA's Constitutionality came before or after the decision not to defend it in court. Of course, some people wonder the same thing about Lincoln's motivation for emancipating the slaves, but as I said, I'm comfortable with a strong Executive in most cases and willing to let the Judicial check after the fact, rather than the Legislative check before.

Of course, for that to work you need to put forth a strong case against the Executive's action (or, in this case, Congress's).

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Violent threats are against the law and although I haven't seen or heard of any actual credible violent threats made against the firm in question, because this is the internet and our examples have to be as dumb as possible I'm going to pretend that they have been because somebody will act like that's the case.

So violent threats are illegal and should be punished accordingly.

What's left are individuals who are able to choose on their own whether they want to support a company, firm, or group. An individual is fully within their rights to decide that they will avoid using an otherwise highly-successful law firm because they involved themselves in a case or matter the client dislikes, much like a firm can choose to limit their client base to focus on a particular type of law, type of client, or type of image.

The closest thing I can see to a scandal is why you're claiming there's "intimidation" or a "pogrom." If there are actual violent threats being made, those should be dealt with by law enforcement. If a bunch of people say "We don't like that you represented the Republicans in the DOMA case and therefore do not want to do business with you," that's part of doing business. This isn't new or exciting, law firms tend to focus on representing one style of client because doing otherwise makes you too many enemies.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Why do you hate the Free Market?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I'm not opposed, but I'm comfortable with a strong executive in most cases. Still, I find myself wary of situations where the Executive is "deeming" things Unconstitutional and I don't think you can just wave concerns away. The question is worth asking, regardless of the answer we arrive at.

If you're in favor of a weak Executive (as most every progressive was during the Bush terms), then I'd expect to see a stronger disagreement with the DoJ sitting on its hands.

Politicization of the DoJ under Bush, and the continuation of that under Obama, make these questions even harder to answer. I wonder whether a decision on DOMA's Constitutionality came before or after the decision not to defend it in court. Of course, some people wonder the same thing about Lincoln's motivation for emancipating the slaves, but as I said, I'm comfortable with a strong Executive in most cases and willing to let the Judicial check after the fact, rather than the Legislative check before.

Of course, for that to work you need to put forth a strong case against the Executive's action (or, in this case, Congress's).
    Ok, so how about this;

DOMA has already had parts of it struck down as unconstitutional. That's not the DoJ deeming it unconstitutional, that's a Federal judge updating the national public record with the fact that it's unconstitutional.

Would you be comfortable with the DoJ actively fighting to maintain a law that has been decided against in Federal court?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited April 2011

Ok, so how about this;

DOMA has already had parts of it struck down as unconstitutional. That's not the DoJ deeming it unconstitutional, that's a Federal judge updating the national public record with the fact that it's unconstitutional.

Would you be comfortable with the DoJ actively fighting to maintain a law that has been decided against in Federal court?

Short answer: depends.

Long answer: Yes, mostly I would. I think questions of Constitutionality ought to be reviewed by the SCOTUS, especially in cases where there's a larger social question the country is relatively split on. Legislating this at the state level is not working - it's failing over and over. I'd prefer to see the DoJ bring every decent argument available before the appellate courts, and ultimately the SCOTUS, where they can be stomped into oblivion once and for all. American history shows us that popular sentiment lags behind defense of a minority's rights more often than not, and we're well versed in warnings about the tyranny of the majority. Throwing up your hands in surrender is not the way to put the exclamation point on the arguments against DOMA - only the Supreme Court can do that for us and they need to address any conceivable legitimate disagreement. otherwise, we'll still be arguing about this insanity in 2030.

spool32 on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Damn, you beat me to it.

But Hedgie is even more right, and not nearly as sarcastic.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So, in short, you don't understand how the courts work, spool. The DoJ can't just appeal because it wants to - they have to give a reason why the lower court ruling was legally flawed. (Remember, appeals cannot argue fact, just law.)

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Long answer: Yes, mostly I would. I think questions of Constitutionality ought to be reviewed by the SCOTUS, especially in cases where there's a larger social question the country is relatively split on. Legislating this at the state level is not working - it's failing over and over. I'd prefer to see the DoJ bring every decent argument available before the appellate courts, and ultimately the SCOTUS, where they can be stomped into oblivion once and for all. American history shows us that popular sentiment lags behind defense of a minority's rights more often than not, and we're well versed in warnings about the tyranny of the majority. Throwing up your hands in surrender is not the way to put the exclamation point on the arguments against DOMA - only the Supreme Court can do that for us and they need to address any conceivable legitimate disagreement. otherwise, we'll still be arguing about this insanity in 2030.
    But here's the thing; there's no guarantee the Supreme Court will ever take up a case that struck a law down as unconstitutional. It is the court's purview to do so, but there isn't a requirement that they exercise that right.

So if a law has been struck down in a lower court, would you have the DoJ defend that law in courts that are concurrent with the striking court in other states? At what point does the law become legitimately unconstitutional in your eyes, and does the DoJ have a stake in defending that law to the bitter end until it meets your personal test for that?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited April 2011

Damn, you beat me to it.

Hedgie is on ignore, but since you brought it up, also is wrong. Tip O'Neil didn't erode Executive authority in INS v. Chadha, and the Supreme Court agreed, saying:
    ...Congress is the proper party to defend the validity of a statute when an agency of government, as a defendant charged with enforcing the statute, agrees with plaintiffs that the statute is inapplicable or unconstitutional. (462 U.S. at 940)

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Wait, is this thread about pressuring a law firm to abandon a client or not?

zilo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Damn, you beat me to it.

Hedgie is on ignore, but since you brought it up, also is wrong. Tip O'Neil didn't erode Executive authority in INS v. Chadha, and the Supreme Court agreed, saying:
    ...Congress is the proper party to defend the validity of a statute when an agency of government, as a defendant charged with enforcing the statute, agrees with plaintiffs that the statute is inapplicable or unconstitutional. (462 U.S. at 940)

Except that is a different situation altogether (and analogous to the Prop 8 case.) Here, the DoJ defended the law in court, lost, and has chosen to accept the ruling.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

But here's the thing; there's no guarantee the Supreme Court will ever take up a case that struck a law down as unconstitutional. It is the court's purview to do so, but there isn't a requirement that they exercise that right.

So if a law has been struck down in a lower court, would you have the DoJ defend that law in courts that are concurrent with the striking court in other states? At what point does the law become legitimately unconstitutional in your eyes, and does the DoJ have a stake in defending that law to the bitter end until it meets your personal test for that?

It's not my test! Until the SCOTUS reviews and declines to take up the case, no one is going to be satisfied. Recall here that my wish is for the question to be definitively answered and I don't believe supporters of the law should be left with a leg to stand on here. All possible appeals should be exhausted, and the DoJ ought not miss an opportunity to defend the law when it can, so as to eliminate all the possible avenues.

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    zilo wrote: »
    Wait, is this thread about pressuring a law firm to abandon a client or not?

I'd love to hear some more thoughts on this. Is it proper to do? How would you feel if the tables were turned?

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

It's not my test! Until the SCOTUS reviews and declines to take up the case, no one is going to be satisfied. Recall here that my wish is for the question to be definitively answered and I don't believe supporters of the law should be left with a leg to stand on here. All possible appeals should be exhausted, and the DoJ ought not miss an opportunity to defend the law when it can, so as to eliminate all the possible avenues.
    It is your test, though. It's certainly not the actual test as outlined in our founding documents. Because once a law is declared unconstitutional, it's unenforceable under the constitution. So unless an actual appeal can be brought, the DoJ is violating the constitution by defending the law in court.

I know you've said that you're in favor of a strong executive branch, but does that extend to the exercise of extra-constitutional authority by the DoJ? Because that's what you're pushing for here.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Is there any evidence of actual credible threats, or even semi-credible threats, yet? Did I miss a link? I've heard this is a "pogrom" and the law firm faced "intimidation," would love to see something resembling evidence of that.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Actually, if the executive genuinely feels that lower court decisions are incorrect the constitutionally appropriate course is to seek appeal, isn't it?

hanskey on