As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-PAX/Post-PAX Experiences

RicinRicin Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in PAX Archive
Hello everyone I am going to PAX early and stay late this year and I was looking for advice on what to attend. I have heard of many of these events but have never had time available to go.

I have already posted on the Post PAX Party and I am looking to attend that but what do people recommend I do with Thursday as I am getting on a late flight Wednesday (well not that late I land around 9PM) and I will probably be looking to settle into the hotel.

Ricin

Ricin on

• AprecheApreche Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Play games. I don't know how people forget this, but play games. If you are at PAX, and at any given minute you don't know what to do, play games.

Apreche on
  • RicinRicin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is for before PAX starts and after PAX officially ends. Yes At PAX my default stance is head to Tabletop. I just know there are many independent events such as Magical Mystery Tour and Pokemon Bar Crawls.

Ricin

Ricin on
  • ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My group is going hang out with the Triwizard Drinking Tournament. Don't think we will join officially but it will be nice to get out on the town with a large group of like-minded people.

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
    edited April 2011
    I was thinking about that but I am not much for drinking and I love seeing drunks act drunkish. Let me know if you group wouldn't mind a tag-along.

Ricin

Ricin on
  • itchbayitchbay Self-Rescuing Princess Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My group is going hang out with the Triwizard Drinking Tournament. Don't think we will join officially but it will be nice to get out on the town with a large group of like-minded people.

"Large group" is an understatement. :)

itchbay on
    Not *that* kind of princess.
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    for the pub crawl, there is always a group of campers that just sticks at one bar and hangs out with people as they come through. Keep your eyes peeled for the pub crawl thread and get your info on the campers there :)

zerzhul on
  • ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    for the pub crawl, there is always a group of campers that just sticks at one bar and hangs out with people as they come through. Keep your eyes peeled for the pub crawl thread and get your info on the campers there :)

This would be a good idea. Get to see more people that way.

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Joset305Joset305 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    2 tips for you make alot of time for the exhibit hall and panels dude/dudette lol

Joset305 on
  • CommanderTonyCommanderTony Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you want to do something meaningful with your Thursday, make sure you know your way a bit around the convention center area or downtown Seattle as a whole. Cuts down on time that you and your buddies need to track down a restaurant, bar, store, etc. Personally, i'd check out some great Seattle landmarks while your out and about.

CommanderTony on
    3-Day pass (X) | Travel plans (X) | Hotel room (X) | Enough money...god damnit!
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Our first PAX in 2008, we arrived on Monday before PAX making it a full one-week trip. There is no shortage of things to see and do in Seattle. If the weather is nice, you can take one of Seattle's fantastic busses up to Ballard and walk around there as well. I'd HIGHLY recommend getting down into the International District for a few hours. Stop in at Pink Gorilla games for a bit of entertainment. Having a day or two head start will give you a HUGE advantage over PAX attendees that show up on the day of the event!

One of the fun parts of being a tourist is that you will start to see people that are obviously PAX attendees start to appear all over Seattle on Wednesday.

For organized Pre-PAX events, there is a Seattle tourist group, the (already mentioned) Triwizard event, the Pre-PAX dinner, and others.

Post-PAX there is much less. There is the Post-PAX dinner, but we typically will just go back to our hotel and pull out whatever new game we discovered at PAX and play a game or two of that before crawling to bed for our flights in the morning.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • JakeotakuJakeotaku Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I say if you have a full day in Seattle before PAX:
    1) Rest up!!! Last year there was a hiccup in our drive up from Missouri and I got to PAX at 9AM on Friday. I didn't sleep again until Sunday night. A little sleep before PAX will make the whole thing go smoother.
    2) Wear your PAX badge. If everyone wears their badge it's a lot easier to find one another and be awesome together. When PAX comes around the population of Seattle goes up by 12%, you'll be able to find someone to hang with.
    3) Play games, lots and lots of games!
    4) Keep your ears open for the PAX twitter accounts and forums so you'll know if something awesome is going down.

Jakeotaku on
    edited April 2011
    Jakeotaku wrote: »
    I say if you have a full day in Seattle before PAX:
    1) Rest up!!! Last year there was a hiccup in our drive up from Missouri and I got to PAX at 9AM on Friday. I didn't sleep again until Sunday night. A little sleep before PAX will make the whole thing go smoother.
    2) Wear your PAX badge. If everyone wears their badge it's a lot easier to find one another and be awesome together. When PAX comes around the population of Seattle goes up by 12%, you'll be able to find someone to hang with.
    3) Play games, lots and lots of games!
    4) Keep your ears open for the PAX twitter accounts and forums so you'll know if something awesome is going down.

1) not a problem I am arriving Wednesday before PAX. I will have all of Thursday to see sights or enjoy revelry.
    2) 12 % seems high but I understand what you mean.
    3) I plan too, I might bring a few if luggage space allows. I know @ East last year they let us game in the lobby. The Westin was not as accommodating.
    4) I am subscribed to several PAX twitter accounts. I was hoping to do one of the pre-defined events like MMT or TWDT (not compete just observe)

Ricin

Ricin on
  • JakeotakuJakeotaku Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ricin wrote: »

Ricin

It might be a little high, I didn't factor in for the PAXers who already live in Seattle, but I have no real way of knowing how many of those there are. Still, it's close enough to be an awe inspiring number.

Jakeotaku on
    edited April 2011
    Jakeotaku wrote: »
    Ricin wrote: »

Ricin

It might be a little high, I didn't factor in for the PAXers who already live in Seattle, but I have no real way of knowing how many of those there are. Still, it's close enough to be an awe inspiring number.

True .... True.

I can't wait. I am going to this con and Dragon Con in Atlanta, GA.

Ricin

Ricin on