As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

school is for pretentious assholes

• HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    Skettios, can you tell me more about being a math major than just "you do math"

Cause I mean right now I am loving the applicable stuff, like I hated learning limits, but once I learned how to do delta epsilon proofs and realized how incredibly useful they are for determining margins of error in production, or how you could use that information to explain things that actually happen I get about doing it

what is up bro

do you have the option to be an applied math major or focus on applied stuff

what kind of options do you have and what are your more specific interests

would you like to mathematically model weather systems using a complex series of dynamic equations
    or do crazy numerical methods things to compute some solutions to some hard ass problems
    or use machine learning to do things with statistics

mathssss

I get really excited about learning wacky equations that actually explain real life things, and I absolutely hate statistics, so I think the first is the most interesting!
    I plan on attending OSU and they don't seem to have an actual applied focus, but in the degree requirements there definitely seem to be more applied based courses. What I like about math is using it to explain real world happenings, which might lean more towards physics, I don't know yet I haven't taken my physics course yet.

mmm, yes
    i ended up doing applied math degree out of actually not knowing what i wanted to do, but it truly is a flexible thing. my applied math courses were also requirements for a lot of my friends who were applied physics majors... there are a lot of ways you can go with applied math stuff.
    i mean, the basics you'll need are solid basic linear algebra and differential equations stuff, and then the rest you can focus as you see fit.
    partial differential equations for example are needed for understanding things like the heat equation. dynamical systems of differential equations can be used to model any number of real world systems. OSU is a big school so i'm sure you'll be able to find courses you want as you figure it out.

i see that they offer an AB and a BS in maths. i'd assume one might be more applied math inclined but i'm not sure. however:

Mathematics Requirements
    The department offers seven tracks: Traditional Math, Math
    for Educators, Financial Math, Biomath, Applied Math, Applied
    Discrete Math, and Honors Math. Students should discuss their
    long-term goals with their academic advisor to determine the
    best mathematics track for them

so really it looks like they are pretty flexible.

I am horrible at cleaning up quote trees so....

Thanks! You are a lot better at hunting that down than I am. I am also considering physics, but I haven't taken a physics course yet and since this is kinda my fallback plan I am mostly concerned about versatility without hating the subject Thanks a bunch!

HellaJeff on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oghulk wrote: »
    this is

problematic

DO IT RIGHT NOW OR I WILL LOSE ALL RESPECT FOR YOU AND PUNCH YOU

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, there's no alcohol in the house, and I can't legally buy any so

many problems here

Oghulk on
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sweet. I forgot my German final was a take-home exam.

Edit: Even sweeter. My professor managed to upload the exam to Blackboard like he said he would. (He's a nice guy, but I wasn't entirely sure he even knew how to log in to Blackboard.)

MadEddy on
    ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    alcohol is the best drug

Crimson King on
    edited April 2011
    oghulk

you just gotta pay a homeless person to buy you beer

but make sure that homeless person is trustworthy

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »
    zonugal you weren't ready

you were still a weak, fat baby

Perhaps weak but never fat.

Never.

the fattest baby

all pudge and cankles and dirty lard soaked diapers

HOW DID YOU KNOW!?!?!

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    edited April 2011
    But man I should go to sleep soon.

Oghulk on
    edited April 2011
    oghulk, you have no time to sleep with all the drinkin' you gonna be doin'

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Ain't no rest for the wicked?

Oghulk on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i've pretty much been drinking for three weeks straight

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    edited April 2011
    zonugal you weren't ready

you were still a weak, fat baby

Perhaps weak but never fat.

Never.

the fattest baby

all pudge and cankles and dirty lard soaked diapers

HOW DID YOU KNOW!?!?!

zonugal you should know by now

I am electric eye

I am up here in space

Lookin' down on you

Tracin' everything you do

with my lasers

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So apparently my university won't let me take an art course, because I'm in a Creative Writing track.

Anybody know any way around that?

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So apparently my university won't let me take an art course, because I'm in a Creative Writing track.

Go to a better university?

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2011

two months here

gotta have me a few beers before bed

gotta drink away the events of the day

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Solutions that don't involve my parents suffocating me in my sleep would be better.

[IMG][/img]
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Do you care if you get credit? Go to a local community college or take an extension course.

Kakodaimonos on
    edited April 2011

Do you care if you get credit? Go to a local community college or take an extension course.

This would probably work, as there is a Valencia campus about 15 minutes away.

How do I get in? Just apply as non-degree seeking, or is it more complicated than that?

[IMG][/img]
    edited April 2011
    for a community college you just sign up fo the class and pay money

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Cause I mean right now I am loving the applicable stuff, like I hated learning limits, but once I learned how to do delta epsilon proofs and realized how incredibly useful they are for determining margins of error in production, or how you could use that information to explain things that actually happen I get about doing it

what is up bro

would you like to mathematically model weather systems using a complex series of dynamic equations
    or do crazy numerical methods things to compute some solutions to some hard ass problems

mathssss

I get really excited about learning wacky equations that actually explain real life things, and I absolutely hate statistics, so I think the first is the most interesting!
    I plan on attending OSU and they don't seem to have an actual applied focus, but in the degree requirements there definitely seem to be more applied based courses. What I like about math is using it to explain real world happenings, which might lean more towards physics, I don't know yet I haven't taken my physics course yet.

mmm, yes
    i ended up doing applied math degree out of actually not knowing what i wanted to do, but it truly is a flexible thing. my applied math courses were also requirements for a lot of my friends who were applied physics majors... there are a lot of ways you can go with applied math stuff.
    i mean, the basics you'll need are solid basic linear algebra and differential equations stuff, and then the rest you can focus as you see fit.
    partial differential equations for example are needed for understanding things like the heat equation. dynamical systems of differential equations can be used to model any number of real world systems. OSU is a big school so i'm sure you'll be able to find courses you want as you figure it out.

i see that they offer an AB and a BS in maths. i'd assume one might be more applied math inclined but i'm not sure. however:

Mathematics Requirements

Thanks! You are a lot better at hunting that down than I am. I am also considering physics, but I haven't taken a physics course yet and since this is kinda my fallback plan I am mostly concerned about versatility without hating the subject Thanks a bunch!

if youve got a bit of free time find the Feynman lectures on physics and read some of em, they're a really good intro

L|ama on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

two months here

no i'm talking about like hey i'm gonna get drunk and pass out with the lights on and wake up at five am to piss for two minutes and then go to sleep and wake up in a couple of hours with a dry mouth and a headache

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    L|ama wrote: »

what is up bro

mathssss

mmm, yes

Mathematics Requirements

if youve got a bit of free time find the Feynman lectures on physics and read some of em, they're a really good intro

My only addition to this would be to get as much CS/programming experience as you can. All of the applied math jobs out there are going need some level of programming, whether it's writing exotic derivative pricing models in C++ or running quality control statistics through SAS.

Kakodaimonos on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

two months here

no i'm talking about like hey i'm gonna get drunk and pass out with the lights on and wake up at five am to piss for two minutes and then go to sleep and wake up in a couple of hours with a dry mouth and a headache

So you have been DRINKING.

Zonugal on
    edited April 2011
    for a community college you just sign up fo the class and pay money

Apparently I've grown too comfortable with arcane systems bound to technologically enforced limitations.

Thanks guys.

[IMG][/img]
    edited April 2011

two months here

So you have been DRINKING.

not correctly

you should never have a hangover

you have not been drinking hard enough

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited April 2011
    TLB, I just imagine every once in a while when someone comes into your hospital with alcohol poisoning your first words are, "Quitter!"

Zonugal on
    edited April 2011
    I am near four colleges

There is no "once in a while" for alcohol poisoning

A buncha goddamn pansies

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    so Warren Spector is giving the commencement speech at my school's graduation on Sunday

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Last night I had a dream that I was in a class that I had totally forgotten I was in for a few weeks.
    I showed up after a couple weeks of not attending, it was like that nedroid where reginald has a job.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    literally everyone has had that dream

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have that dream pretty often. Except it is high school and i haven't been the entire year. The beginning is it hitting me, 'oh holy shit I have a calculus class'. It is always calculus.

The rest of the dream is usually me trying to divine a way to find the room in a maze-like rendition of my high school

I always wake up feeling really anxious and worried and a bit nauseous.

Vann Diras on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had that dream eight years out of high school

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited April 2011
    I've had the dream a few times where I'm in high school and am getting overwhelmed by my classes

then I realize "wait a minute, I finished high school, why the hell am I here"

then I flip my desk over and leave

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That dream is pretty much the worst for me

Really hits my biggest fears pretty hard!

Vann Diras on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I've had the dream a few times where I'm in high school and am getting overwhelmed by my classes

then I realize "wait a minute, I finished high school, why the hell am I here"

then I flip my desk over and leave

this is BULLSHIT

Grey Ghost on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    When I got my first job, working as a cashier at wal-mart

I would have dreams where I'm ringing up groceries

there was a flower arrangement on my nightstand and one night I pulled each piece of it out, "rang it up," and then threw it on the floor

these dreams invariably ended with me waking up and freaking out because I couldn't find the customer's order anymore

and then realizing, not that I was dreaming, but that it was the middle of the night so it wasn't my shift and it was someone else's problem.

Speed Racer on
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    After working at Future Shop for about 3 years, I used to have nightmares that I was working in electronics sales again, I hated working there so much.

12 years later I was forced to take a job at Best Buy part time, who now own Future Shop, to pay for school.

Being a scientist better be fucking awesome.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
    edited April 2011
    if I sit still and close my eyes I can still hear the ringing of the chit machine and phantom orders being called

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have dreams where I'm doing the bullshit cashier job I have now, just over and over and over going through the same motions and asking the same questions

And I wake up and quietly, in the dark, I whisper to myself

"fuck this"

Grey Ghost on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    After working at Future Shop for about 3 years, I used to have nightmares that I was working in electronics sales again, I hated working there so much.

12 years later I was forced to take a job at Best Buy part time, who now own Future Shop, to pay for school.

Being a scientist better be fucking awesome.

I have a dream where for reasons unknown, I rejoin the army. I get sent back to basic training and the whole dream is just me being like "shit, this is shitty, why did I do this?" and I try to find some way to void my contract.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
This discussion has been closed.