As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Phantasy Star Online 2 -- Beta Live, 3 Invites Available From Those Already In Game

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't understand why sometimes people's faces show up on TV screens, but other than that, the UI looks positively minimal for a Japanese game

This is good! This could turn out okay!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    See, this is what Universe should've been. . . take everything that was great about PSO, expand upon it and give it a nice new coat of paint. Simple, but effective. This might actually get me to play an MMO, if it gets released in the West that is (please make it happen, Sega!).

Grimthwacker on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Are they going for PSU-style bubbles? Man, I want symbol chat to come back.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I don't understand why sometimes people's faces show up on TV screens, but other than that, the UI looks positively minimal for a Japanese game

The faces show up when people talk.
    It's so you can visually see who is talking and get a good look at their (user customized) face.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm excited. I haven't played a multi-player PSO since the Blue Burst beta. Even though I spent way too much time on the game (700 hours on my main character), I've always longed to get addicted again.

Also, for the record, I wouldn't mind seeing some of PSU's good ideas return.

Rex Dart on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Klyka wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »

The faces show up when people talk.
    It's so you can visually see who is talking and get a good look at their (user customized) face.

That seems really dumb since it covers up a gigantic portion of the screen and god help you if you try that during boss fights

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Important feature: Tails is a girl.

The hip forward stances remind me of a Korean MMO.

piL on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can never be excited for any Phantasy Star games since PSU turned out the way it did. But I keep a close eye on this shit.

I know I'll give this game a try, I can't say it'll stick, but I'll be a ranger for sure.

Henroid on
  • V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just let me play a big robot again. That's all I ask.

Also: Jumping. PSO is breaking new ground.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I need to hurry up and get a new PC for this.

It doesn't look a lot like PSO2 though. It reminds me way more of PSU, which isn't really a good thing.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The memories!

Hunting for Perfect Resists in some caves, paying with some friends (never online, though.)
    FOnewearl, bitches!

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Looks like a glorious combination of the handful of things that Universe actually improved and the PSO style. Not to mention a little modern flare.

I like it.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Looks decent. Looks like it's going back to a more PSO visual style which is :^:

I hope they drop the crafting nonsense and go back to unique equipment drops. It was actually one of my least favorite parts of PSU. I know a lot of people liked it for the potential of customization but man it's far less exciting to pick up random material x that you can use to craft something maybe good if you get the other materials than it is to pick up a nice red you can use right then.

Also, regarding the graphics, they're not bad at all, but they're not modern PC quality either. I hope that the visuals imply that it'll also be coming to the PS3/360. They look like they'd be pretty damn nice looking on a lower res console. EDIT: What I mean is that those graphics look like what you'd expect a "lazy" port from a console to the PC would look like.

EDIT: If anyone can read japanese or knows; is this new PSO taking place in the PSO universe; i.e. Ragol?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One of my favorite series and it's moved to PC only.

Fuck you, Sega.

Magic Pink on
    edited April 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Fuck you, Sega.

The game looks like it'll run on even ancient hardware.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Fuck you, Sega.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

You're wrong. I don't even own a PC.

Magic Pink on
    edited April 2011

Fuck you, Sega.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

You're wrong. I don't even own a PC.

Oh, that complicates things then!
    What the hell man? Are you Amish? :D

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PSO is one of the few MMOs I could really get into, and prolly the best one. I even sometimes return to it now and then, which is even rarer for me.

With that said, I'm still only cautiously optimistic with this sequel. PSO was obviously all about the combat, and it looks like it's change enough that I won't know if I'll enjoy it or not until I get my hands on it. Plus I haven't heard anything about FOrces so far (~my favorite class~).

Also I hope it doesn't have any monthly fees.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
    edited April 2011
    I really, really doubt it will be free to play.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sollah wrote: »
    PSO is one of the few MMOs I could really get into, and prolly the best one. I even sometimes return to it now and then, which is even rarer for me.

With that said, I'm still only cautiously optimistic with this sequel. PSO was obviously all about the combat, and it looks like it's change enough that I won't know if I'll enjoy it or not until I get my hands on it. Plus I haven't heard anything about FOrces so far (~my favorite class~).

Also I hope it doesn't have any monthly fees.

Definitely wouldn't count on it being free, but Sega could always surprise us by adopting the new trendy option of free-to-play with paid-perks. I don't know how that could work in PSO's context, but like I said, it'd be a surprise. Like candy! nomnomom

PSO isn't my favorite MMO, and it isn't my favorite Phantasy Star, but of all the games since it is definitely the most enjoyable to me (mind you, that's not saying a whole lot).

Henroid on
    edited April 2011

Fuck you, Sega.

Pfft, I've been saying that since Sega killed the single-player awesome-RPG series Phantasy Star. 8-)

Henroid on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There is absolutely no chance this will be free to play. I'm pretty sure the only reason they didn't charge a monthly fee for PSP2 is that paying a monthly fee for a handheld game sounded ridiculous even to them. But consoles and PC? Pay up. Even when they were shutting down the PC/PS2 servers for PSU they didn't do a free-month send-off or anything. And they still charge for the 360 version.

Anyway as long as this stays on PC I have no interest in it because I can't play it. PSO has always been special because it was a console experience. It an MMO-lite for your console. That's what made it unique. By putting it just on PC though it's going up against every single other MMO out there. I don't think it stands much of a chance personally.

Gilder on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Actually PSU had a free like, 3 month send off. But in any case, I want this to have a release date already so i can pre-purchase it because i am a Phantasy Star Whore. Played the original PSO on PC and i'll play this one on there too.

As long as they dont charge Canadian a completely different subscription fee than the US like they did with PSU at least. $16 a month for Canada, $9.99 for the US? Really Sega? Fuck you.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gilder wrote: »
    There is absolutely no chance this will be free to play. I'm pretty sure the only reason they didn't charge a monthly fee for PSP2 is that paying a monthly fee for a handheld game sounded ridiculous even to them. But consoles and PC? Pay up. Even when they were shutting down the PC/PS2 servers for PSU they didn't do a free-month send-off or anything. And they still charge for the 360 version.

Anyway as long as this stays on PC I have no interest in it because I can't play it. PSO has always been special because it was a console experience. It an MMO-lite for your console. That's what made it unique. By putting it just on PC though it's going up against every single other MMO out there. I don't think it stands much of a chance personally.

They did indeed have a free month or so at the least to send off the PSU servers for PC/PS2, I was online that night on the PSOWorld "unofficial universe" chatting it up, and even livestreamed the servers going down. I didn't have to pay a cent to get on those last few weeks, despite having not paid for a hunters license for almost a year before the shutdown date.

And I agree, this won't remain PC only for long. PS3 version at the very least. The main problem with PSU is that they were too concerned with making it available on the PS2 that they had to dripfeed content that was already on disc to all players, while other MMOs of the like were able to add content a bit more freely. That, combined with the servers in the states being separated and there being almost a year of a difference between content updates in the regions did a lot of damage. With the new game, they can concentrate on the current gen systems's strengths as content delivery platforms as well as being powerful enough to run whatever they want to do with PSO2.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, I never knew it had a few free final months. I would've logged on on my PS2 copy for the final send-off. Lame.

Gilder on
    edited April 2011
    Yeah during the free few months all that was required was you had to have subbed at some point in the games life. So even people who hadnt played in years could log on.

I would like to see PSO2 have a pay as you go type deal kind of like D&D Online rather than a subscription fee per month. I think the franchise would do well in that form, and it would open it up to a lot more players and customers. This would also work using the Xbox Marketplace or PSN for the content delivery. Just release DLC expansions and content updates at reasonable prices, and have a cash shop with some crazy vanity items or something and they'd be set.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can't really justify paying a monthly fee to play a game that uses instanced peer-to-peer dungeons...

TurboGuard on
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TurboGuard wrote: »
    I can't really justify paying a monthly fee to play a game that uses instanced peer-to-peer dungeons...

And is still years behind diablo 2.

Don't get me wrong, I loved PSO on the DC, had a lot of fun, and was interest in PSO2 until I heard of pay to play.

I clicked on this thread interested, see people speculating pay to play, there goes my interest. They better hurry up and release this before diablo 3 if they want anybody to play the thing if they're gonna charge a subscription.

Tommatt on
    edited April 2011
    In its day, playing PSO on the Dreamcast (online, mind you), was a mind-blowing experience. But I'm kind of over the novelty of online games on my console.

For me, PC is the best place for PSO to go. Having a keyboard is just really, really useful. And hopefully the game's controller-compatible.
    I would like to see PSO2 have a pay as you go type deal kind of like D&D Online rather than a subscription fee per month. I think the franchise would do well in that form, and it would open it up to a lot more players and customers. This would also work using the Xbox Marketplace or PSN for the content delivery. Just release DLC expansions and content updates at reasonable prices, and have a cash shop with some crazy vanity items or something and they'd be set.

I would love this. Probably won't happen, but it would be great.

Rex Dart on
    edited April 2011
    Tommatt wrote: »

I would love to hear you articulate this.

Henroid on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Personally, I'd like to see what they could do with a PSO that was completely built around a computer instead of being a port from a console. At the minimum, they could update it more frequently and bigger-in-scope content pushes.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited April 2011
    Henroid wrote: »

I would love to hear you articulate this.

It's just the way it always felt to me. It may have simply been the limitations of the console. I played the shit out of PS with my nephew, and loved the game, I just always felt it was behind diablo 2 in many ways, especially the enemies/worlds and lack of variety.

I was excited about pso2, until the subscription fee. I went back to diablo 2 then.

SayIng it was years behind isn't fact, just the way it felt to me. And with diablo 3 coming Out and free to play, wouldn't pay to play be a death wish?

Tommatt on
    edited April 2011
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    In its day, playing PSO on the Dreamcast (online, mind you), was a mind-blowing experience. But I'm kind of over the novelty of online games on my console.

For me, PC is the best place for PSO to go. Having a keyboard is just really, really useful. And hopefully the game's controller-compatible.

I would love this. Probably won't happen, but it would be great.

We dont know what will happen. Anything right now is pure speculation, it may not even be pay to play, they might even go the guild wars route and charge for annual expansions only. We have no idea.

Also comparing Diablo and PSO is dumb, they are completely different games with totally different styles of play and setting. I for one vastly perfer PSO's Sci-Fi/Future World Fantasy setting over Diablo's generic sword and sorcery fantasy (Mostly because im burned out on that kind of fantasy in general in the genre.)

Elimination on
  • TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The main problem with making PSO2 pay to play is that its biggest hypothetical contender, Guild Wars 2, isn't.

I just can't really see an argument for it given the way PSO works compared to something like WoW or EQ.

TurboGuard on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PSO was amazing, but I'm seeing far too much PSU influence here to recapture that magic. There isn't a MAG shown in any of the footage, and symbol chat is gone for good. I'll probably give it a spin, but those were my two favorite parts of PSO, and I won't stick around without them. At least not MAGs, I loved the crap out of those things, especially the rare ones and hardware-based ones. Nothing cooler than plugging away at enemies with a Dreamcast floating behind me.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited April 2011
    I had one that looked like a floating toilet seat. The lid even opened and closed continuously. Loved that thing.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited April 2011
    Mag's were dedinafely my favorite thing about PSO.

My DC is semi out of the box and I know where My PSO disk is, it might get played at some point to screw around.

I can't remember, was there any type of 2 player single console support?

Tommatt on
    edited April 2011
    Mag's were dedinafely my favorite thing about PSO.

My DC is semi out of the box and I know where My PSO disk is, it might get played at some point to screw around.

I can't remember, was there any type of 2 player single console support?

Not for DC, unfortunately.

Which is another reason I don't regret re-buying the Gamecube version.

Rex Dart on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Monthly fee in a game in the style of PSO doesnt quite convince me: it would need to be far more than that (and manage to recapture the magic Of playing PSO.)

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The PSO Blue Burst private server thing is still a huge kick for me. I dunno, it wouldnt be hard to recapture that magic. Its just something Sega seems terrible at.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png