As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend: Magazines

124»

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Haha. Yeah. Sorry about that. Just trying to point out a logical fallacy in that argumentative stance by going to an extreme.

Reginald on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i only read Muscle&Fitness, FLEX, and Muscular Development when I want updates on the world at large

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    Seriously though, Real Simple is a good magazine. It has recipes and affordable things and isn't full of dumb beauty propaganda. Okay well maybe a little, but not on a Cosmo level.

yes it was my favorite when I was working at the bookstore! when we took the old magazines off the shelves I would take it home.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My mom used to have a subscription to Mother Jones. What's weird is that my ultra-conservative grandfather bought it for her.

That said, I like it, but anything related to politics, even if I agree with it, tends to get my blood boiling.

HeadCreeps on
    vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    DessartDessart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like how colorful Wired is; it is a very attractively composed magazine.

Its one of the only magazines that you can find in most stores that puts so much into their graphic design. Thats definitely equal in importance to the writing for why I still subscribe. I also get Fader, which has great design too, plus a ton of awesome stuff on music and clothing.

Dessart on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh I also have a subscription to Soldier of Fortune but I didn't buy it, i've been getting it as a gift since I was 12. I'm really pretty surprised I've managed to not let that magazine turn me into a total fucking lunatic.

Hobnail on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I also like reading the Economist, since I know exactly what I am getting and there is a tremendous amount of information there if you can parse it out of their rhetoric

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I read
    wheels_magazine.jpg

and
    3914140311_motor_L.jpg

and
    4437013250_eece27e0b5.jpg

Unfortunately these will probably bore most of your family members. Good thing they're not available in America then!

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I get piss drinkers, but the quality has really gone down

i think they need to buy a faster speed film for the photo shoots

redfenix on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The best magazine out there is The Economist. I've learned more about how the world and politics work from that magazine than any other source.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    jippeejippee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also, I'm watching a pigmentally & face-haired challenged person with an unapropriationlly scottish name trying to beat John Higgins.

jippee on
    Nellie the elephant packed her trunk
    and trundled off to the jungle
    off she rode with a trumpety trump
    trump trump trump

• Options
    jippeejippee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    win, goddammit!

yeah, no.

jippee on
    Nellie the elephant packed her trunk
    and trundled off to the jungle
    off she rode with a trumpety trump
    trump trump trump

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dessart wrote: »
    I like how colorful Wired is; it is a very attractively composed magazine.

Its one of the only magazines that you can find in most stores that puts so much into their graphic design. Thats definitely equal in importance to the writing for why I still subscribe. I also get Fader, which has great design too, plus a ton of awesome stuff on music and clothing.

Gonna look into that.

I like Rolling Stone but too many of the covers are risque for my parents to be comfortable with it. They haven't liked many of their past covers.

I am hearing a lot of praise for The Economist, so maybe we will get that.

Also Utne sounds cool, but more for me and less for the family.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I used to subscribe to National Geographic for Kids, Nintendo Power, and Disney Adventures

oh, and the Lego Club Magazine

yes anti yessssss

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    hustler

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I used to subscribe to Shonen Jump and EGM.

Now I don't.

Memories.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    seriously though, hustler

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cgw.jpg

I used to read this back when it was about 400 pages long. Pretty sad that the internet killed these, because the shit you find online doesn't really compare.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    Fandeathis wrote: »
    The best magazine out there is The Economist. I've learned more about how the world and politics work from that magazine than any other source.

the economist is neoliberal trash and toes the WTO/IMF/World Bank line harder than any other news source on the planet

it is quite literally the Pravda of the neoliberal movement

do not read the economist.

while I understand their bias, your characterization of it is totally disingenuous; they are far more than mere corporatist apologists

they absolutely do have a bias, but their reporting is excellent and if you understand their bias while you're reading it it can be one of the most informative news rags out there

no one said you have to agree with the conclusions of every piece of news you read

hence why I still read AJE op/eds

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    redfenix wrote: »

This was a Patton Oswalt reference, by the way

redfenix on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    the only magazine I read is the baby magazine that's given out free at my work, and that is because there is nothing else to read in the break room!

All they have done is convince me of how terrible the whole pregnancy process really is

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

i was going to say something about corpse rapers

but

i didn't

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    crwth, how do you feel about corpse rapers?

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    astronomymagazine.jpg

I love it so much.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Liiya wrote: »
    Thank you jippee, I love you too!

My sister used to subscribe to:

cover45.jpg

which was pretty funny.

I'm pages late with this but oh my god I want this magazine so bad

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Wiet wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    My sister used to subscribe to:

cover45.jpg

which was pretty funny.

I'm pages late with this but oh my god I want this magazine so bad

It's £5.75 / issue

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

richman.gif

#pipe on
  • Options
    Green DreamGreen Dream Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    EDIT: Okay, nevermind, you guys already talked about this. But seriously, I have to suggest that you give the free online component a try sometime - there's a lot of neat stuff there, and while the prose can be a little "dry" sometimes, some of the writers (Adam Gopnik and Anthony Lane spring to mind) really do have an elegant and funny way with words. Tina Fey has recently written a couple of short personal history peices lately that are amazing examples of her writing talent - maybe check out those?

Muse, if you or your family like to read, you really should be getting the New Yorker. Or don't get it - just read the stuff they put online for free.

Before anyone feels the need to point it out, yes, this magazine does have a very liberal flavour - but it's not exclusively liberal. I have had my eye drawn to more intelligent conservative analyses and ideas through this magazine than I have found anywhere else.

It does humour, historical and literary studdies, personal studdies, current events, scientific journalism, fiction, and basically anything else you might want to read (including great blogs on all of the above topics), and for someone who even slighty intelligent and likes reading, the quality of the writing is so high that even reading things you vehemently disagree with are a pleasure.

So there's my hard sell - start reading the New Yorker, goddamnit.

Green Dream on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    but don't read the poetry they put in the new yorker

some of that stuff is awful

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zen-zen- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is slightly off topic, but anyone with an iPad should have a look at Flipboard; it takes your social networks and any blogs you might subscribe to and turns them into a magazine format, which is surprisingly fun. Also it's free.

zen- on
  • Options
    SaintSaint Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love
    Spin and Pitchfork and Sneeze and NatGeo and the New Yorker this great local newpaper called Folio Weekly

Saint on
  • Options
    WhacktoseWhacktose Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I am hearing a lot of praise for The Economist, so maybe we will get that.

Do a trial run on the Economist. It is incredibly dense, so if they're cover-to-cover people, they may get frustrated by the word-count (it takes a long-ass time to read all the way through).

Whacktose on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I got a subscription to wired when it was 3 years for $9 or so. It is good bathroom reading. I like a lot of the articles, but the reviews tend to be garbage.

I got my dad a subscription to Grassroots Motorsports a while back and enjoy reading that one as well. Everything is focused on autocross or roadcourses, so no "Which sedan is right for me" reviews. Or even ridic supercar reviews, since it isn't really relevant to your average racer. Have great build articles though and give good tips on all things motorsports.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cook's Illustrated. a couple Christmases ago, my dad gifted me with subscriptions to Cook's Illustrated and Vegetarian Times. while i tend towards veg eating, VT is a little too 'lifestyle mag' for me, whereas i would read CI cover-to-cover. good reviews, recipes and technique articles, and i like the pencil illustrations.

we currently get Game Developer, but that's more the boy's purview; i tend to just read the postmortems.

back in college, i bought nearly every issue of ToyFare; which i'll admit is odd, because i don't collect. hunh. evidently, it ceased print publication in January.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    has anybody mentioned wizard yet

I used to love wizard

back when it was all like this

cdd765a1-779b-49d7-aa3c-9b1a228a7fcc.jpg

instead of all thin and crappy like it was until they canceled it

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Emily_PIC-Cover.jpg