As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dungeon Raid: Not getting anything accomplished IRL ever again. (iOS)

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Noggin wrote: »
    It's the tetris effect.

Like looking at a white surface and thinking "ok, that's Portalable"

edit: Masochism is crazy-awesome good times. I went back to adventurer though to unlock classes.

I haven't had the tetris effect this bad since that Kirby game with the falling blobs.

joshofalltrades on
  • Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Heir wrote: »
    Remember this gem?
    I know I'm going to see the tile layout in my dreams tonight.

Last night, it happened. Not just during actual sleep, but as I was dozing off. And not just the tile layout either. Matches were being made. Skills were being selected. Levels were upped.

That's right. My subconscious was generating content.

I should be concerned about this. Right?

On a lighter note, Masochism is crazy-awesome good times. But you already knew that.

I was sitting in a meeting yesterday...and the way some of my coworkers lined up made me start to draw a mental line through them. I think that was a good sign that I'm playing this way too much.

I picked this up a couple of days ago and I have drawing lines through pretty much everything in my dreams ever since. Its kind of creepy to me that something can grab ahold of your subconscious like that.

Mr. Mojo Risin on
    steam_sig.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Having really good runs with potion to XP, treasure chamber, collect treasure and shields. Are there any other skills work as well?
    On the skills tab, is the order the skills show up reflect how often they appear in game?
    Also one of the achievements asks that you make a path that overlaps itself 6 times. Is that a class skill or no longer in the game?

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I just wanted to pop in here and say...

I didn't get all the hype for Masochism. "What's so good about turning coins into skulls?" I said.

Then I tried the Raider.

Oh. Em. Gee.

ringswraith on
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Also one of the achievements asks that you make a path that overlaps itself 6 times. Is that a class skill or no longer in the game?

edit: This is one way to get it, and is clearer than the description I posted yesterday
    photo.png

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • The EarlThe Earl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've actually found that between upgrades, leveling and purchases...the upgrades are the most beneficial in the long run. Sooooooo, I like grabbing the double shields skill.

I recently got 40k on 726 turns using masochist, heal, skill elixir and double shield. This was also a round where I was grabbing poison whenever it was available.

The Earl on
    | Flickr | Steam | KROQ | Game Center The_Earl
  • DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    JonBob wrote: »
    The Earl wrote: »
    Can someone explain how the armor works in the game...
    I notice that I have an armor rating on the bottom of my screen, which fills when i grab the shields. That armor has a strength that depends on the upgrades that I've given it throughout the course of the game. Why do the skulls do damage to me when my armor rating has yet to reach zero? and what the fuck does durability do?
    Damage you take is first reduced by your armor rating before it is applied to you. If you have more armor than the damage coming in, you won't lose any health.

But armor isn't just a second health bar. Unlike health, armor doesn't simply get decreased by the damage number. Instead, there is a chance (50% IIRC) that your armor will get reduced by one point for each point of damage coming in. Durability decreases that chance, so the higher your durability, the less your armor will need to be repaired.

That's weird...because I've taken damage even when I still had some armor left.

To clarify: armor reduces the incoming damage by its amount. When your armor gets hit, there is a chance that it will break, subtracting one from the amount of damage it will reduce. Let's say you have 10 armor. If you get hit for 7 damage, there is a chance your armor will break and be reduced to 9, but either way you will take no damage. If, however, you get hit for 15 damage, in addition to a chance of your armor breaking, you will lose 5 health.

DrDinosaur on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, my freetime is plummeting now that i actually plopped down the cash for this.

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I just wanted to pop in here and say...

I didn't get all the hype for Masochism. "What's so good about turning coins into skulls?" I said.

Then I tried the Raider.

Oh. Em. Gee.

Throw me into this boat. And it's sick with some like Masc treasure chamber collect all of
    Something, and collect all coins.

I'm thinking of starting to pick up Big game hunter, but random meat shields during Masch has made me weary.

Tommatt on
    edited April 2011
    Yeah. I've died a few times to an ill(well?)-timed BGH netting me a Meat Shield.

So I've avoided getting it.

I'm using Masochism, Treasure Chamber, Skill Elixir, and Repair. Activate TC, pop SE or Repair (depending on whether there are more potions or shields on the screen at the time), then activate the second of the pair. Finally, Masochism.

I'm at a point where doing this nets me three stat upgrade screens and at least one item upgrade.

ringswraith on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm so happy that I managed to get to a point where I don't want to play this game constantly! :)

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
    edited April 2011
    Argy stupidity.

About turn 600 on hard, having my best game in relations to upgrades/level/skull health and such. Easy mode going. Set my combo.

Treasure chamber, collect all coins, ooh weapon upgrade with collect all coins, oooh weapon, upgrade, masch. Cast, steal coins from enemies cast.

Hmmmm, I have no swords on the board. This could be bad. Monsters attack.

Urghhhhhhhhhhhhllllle.....

:(

Also question about the + 10 -10 health perk/flaw

Is it just 10 flat or a %?
    Yeah raider is too good. I've been getting 2 or 3 trophies a game, hit lvl 10.

Tommatt on
  • LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Are you more likely to get trophies at higher difficulty settings, or should I just stick to Normal as long as I'm focusing on unlocking stuff?

Lachrymite on
  • BloodfartBloodfart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    anyone else notice that this game and maybe others run so smooth now with ios 4.3.2?

feels like silk.

Bloodfart on
    edited April 2011
    So after getting the raider to lvl 10, I'm workin on getting the others to level 5. I feel gimped without maschotism now.

Tommatt on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Had a killer Rogue run today. Got him two levels and unlocked ranger.

I ran with Big Game Hunter, Double Coin and the less worthwhile turn-enemies-to-swords and Greed. I should learn to be patient when getting spells.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited April 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Had a killer Rogue run today. Got him two levels and unlocked ranger.

I ran with Big Game Hunter, Double Coin and the less worthwhile turn-enemies-to-swords and Greed. I should learn to be patient when getting spells.

On my raider I won't take anything but masc. A collect all spell, and treasure chamber. The 4th I try to go with either steal, double coins, collect all coins, or potions -> xp

Tommatt on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Either I was getting unlucky with upgrades or Spikes, Blunting, Armor piercing, and durability all max out until you reach certain amounts of turns.

Finally was able to get the achievement for wishing away 20+ skulls.
    Had an overseer out and was able to get it eventually. Then a meat shield dropped, then another meat shield. Somehow I survived that. The ability that doubles shields is pretty awesome, even without repair.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've been out of Dungeon Raiding for a bit but fired it up the other day and, I'm sure I'm far from the first to say it, but those new meatshield guys can be nasty buggers.

Am I still King of PA Dungeon Raiding with the below?
    bf0a6f5e.jpg

Picture out of date, now pushed down 98 on the leaderboards last I checked. I don't want to check again as I'll probably be out of the top 100 now.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You've still got me beat - I've hit 39k a couple of times but haven't cracked 40.

Meatshield is a pigfucker.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I just unlocked Paladin last night, and let me tell you, his heal-to-full ability makes Spiky just absolutely HILARIOUS. "Oh, Spiky? Mmhmm, pop pally special, do 99 damage to you, heal to full, GIGGLE."

Now, am I just unlucky on this pally, and not finding any +potion HP, or is this by design for this class?

Imperfect on
    edited April 2011
    not finding any what?

Six on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You could upgrade luck when you level up.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2011
    I've been out of Dungeon Raiding for a bit but fired it up the other day and, I'm sure I'm far from the first to say it, but those new meatshield guys can be nasty buggers.

Am I still King of PA Dungeon Raiding with the below?
    bf0a6f5e.jpg

Picture out of date, now pushed down 98 on the leaderboards last I checked. I don't want to check again as I'll probably be out of the top 100 now.

Probably jinxing myself but I'm in a game now at around 37k and have been cruising. I'm sure I'll get a masc cast that screws me

Tommatt on
    edited April 2011
    Yup, finished at 38k. Masch with only one sword and
    They swing for 1600 :(

Tommatt on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Not getting Luck offered when I level up either. Right now, my main way of healing is "dying" every 35 turns or so.

Imperfect on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Imperfect wrote: »

Not getting Luck offered when I level up either. Right now, my main way of healing is "dying" every 35 turns or so.

Yeah I have that issue sometimes too...I won't get Luck offered during level up for several levels.

It'd be nice to just be able to select the upgrades and skills I want at level up from the full list. I get why they don't, but it makes the game a lot more about chance than I prefer.

Why does everyone like Masochism so much?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2011
    Because it's awesome. You instantly get to kill almost a full screen of skulls. XP++

Six on
    edited April 2011
    Dungeon Raid Update is live (I didn't even know one was coming)

- 2 new game modes: Dungeon Sprint & Pretzel Hero
    - Refreshed/expanded local high score page
    - Difficulty/mode label on status page
    - Misc fixes and tweaks

Six on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the heads up there, I'll go and download it right now and then raid some more dungeons.

Getting close to level 5 on every class.

joshofalltrades on
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My longest game on Harder is still 329 turns and about 4k points. It's hard!

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like the challenge modes, and want more. It's fun to have to consider alternate strategies. I'd love a series of challenges built around specific sets of skills, to force me to deal with some combos that are "suboptimal" for once.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • RolkenRolken Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, I apparently ate Pretzel Hero on my second try, with double the points of the #2 guy on the leaderboards and quadruple the #3 guy (I'm RainFlutter). Masochism / Heal / Repair / Big Game Hunter let me blow through the board over and over until BGH delivered me a Meat Shield. The hundred points for clearing the entire board add up fast. With a bit savvier/luckier play than I managed, I bet somebody could double my score again relatively easily.

edit: oh yeah, and potions and shields seemed to arbitrarily sometimes decide not to work toward the end. Not sure what the deal was with that. Sometimes selecting potions would do nothing but hitting Heal would fill my life to full... it was weird.

Rolken on
    edited April 2011
    Tommatt wrote: »
    So after getting the raider to lvl 10, I'm workin on getting the others to level 5. I feel gimped without maschotism now.

Well since your raider is at level 10, that means you can replace any other class's set of available skills with it- once you've reached level 2 in that class, IIRC.

I got my assassin to 10 this way, using a Halfling and Masochism. Next stop, mage.

ringswraith on
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rolken wrote: »
    potions and shields seemed to arbitrarily sometimes decide not to work toward the end. Not sure what the deal was with that. Sometimes selecting potions would do nothing but hitting Heal would fill my life to full... it was weird.
    Guessing again here that you're playing as a Raider, and forgetting that the class's native flaw is that matching three of anything gives you no benefit. Has to be four or more.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    potions and shields seemed to arbitrarily sometimes decide not to work toward the end. Not sure what the deal was with that. Sometimes selecting potions would do nothing but hitting Heal would fill my life to full... it was weird.
    Guessing again here that you're playing as a Raider, and forgetting that the class's native flaw is that matching three of anything gives you no benefit. Has to be four or more.
    I kind of wish that there was some kind of visual cue that this would happen, like the "No damage!" on skulls in the first 5 turns. I've long since gotten used to that flaw by now, but I can see it being really confusing for people.

AshtonDragon on
  • RolkenRolken Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, yeah, you're right. Easy to forget that since normally only matching three probably means you're Doing It Wrong.

Incidentally, the synergy between the Raider primary skill and perk, the Halfling bonus, and the nature of that pretzel challenge is pretty ridiculous too.

Rolken on
    edited April 2011
    I kind of wish that there was some kind of visual cue that this would happen, like the "No damage!" on skulls in the first 5 turns. I've long since gotten used to that flaw by now, but I can see it being really confusing for people.

Yeah same thing with dmg, although it might make it too easy. But you come back to a game, take some coins, then die, all because you didn't remember 800 dmg was incoming. Maybe be off by up to 20%? With your shields, you will lose between 50-80 life.

What perks/flaws are you guys taking?

10+ bonus, arrow, mana, 2X regen
    And flaws
    -1 health, 3 of any = nothing, -1 to something , and can't attack first 3 turns

Tommatt on
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, a way to preview how much damage would be done to you next turn (assuming you gain nothing) would be really nice.

joshofalltrades on
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tommatt wrote: »

Yeah same thing with dmg, although it might make it too easy. But you come back to a game, take some coins, then die, all because you didn't remember 800 dmg was incoming. Maybe be off by up to 20%? With your shields, you will lose between 50-80 life.

What perks/flaws are you guys taking?

10+ bonus, arrow, mana, 2X regen
    And flaws
    -1 health, 3 of any = nothing, -1 to something , and can't attack first 3 turns
    replace mana with -1 cooldown for 4th skill. Mana potions are neat, but they tend to screw up the Heal or Skill Elixer skills (or at least, the last time I checked.
    And yeah, -10 health, -1 armor, can't attack first 5 turns. I try to avoid the other one if I'm not playing raider, though. I sometimes take 3% broken shields.

AshtonDragon on