As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ARMA 2] A new thread because we have a server!

Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology

logo.jpg

Arma 2 is a modern military simulation. It's like combat without MRE's (Who wants to trade their Chicken Vagina for a Beef Teriyaki?) and bullets that actually kill people (5.56 NATO I'm looking at you :x). The world is huge, spanning several square klicks, meaning you're not going anywhere until trans shows up. We may be legs, but we don't walk anywhere! Several vehicles are provided, from Abrams, to Black Hawks, to HMMWV's. The game is really buggy, and the code is poorly optimized (so you better have some decent hardware under the hood), but it's still a great game. It's like Battlefield for adults, with singleplayer.

BUY IT HERE
ArmA 2 - Vanilla version on sale today for $8 US
ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead - The expansion to the base game. Adds a shitload of units, weapons, and capabilities, as well as a ton of engine enhancements that make the game run much better.
ArmA 2 - Combined Operations - Contains both vanilla and OA, this is what you need for serious multiplayer or for modded play since almost every server and mod requires it. On sale today for $26.99 but apparently it's a bit cheaper across the pond.

You should buy Combined Operations! Because it's great! But if you can't afford it that's okay too, buy the vanilla game and you can still get Operation Arrowhead later and it will install just fine!
But really OA is fucking great so get it

DLC
British Armed Forces - adds some British units and weapons as well as a single-player/co-op campaign
Private Military Corporation - adds more units and weapons as well as a single-player/co-op campaign

What's up with the DLC? Should you buy it? Basically only if you really badly want to play those campaigns. They aren't great but they're there and it's not that expensive. But honestly it's better to just play multiplayer, and in MP you can use those units regardless of owning the DLC or not - the DLC just gets you hi-res versions which is completely unnecessary since nobody uses them anyways. So basically you can skip 'em.

Cherries, this guide is for you!
You better study this! If I hear of any blue on blue incidents initiated by you, I'll make you do monkeyfuckers until I get smoked!

What the fuck did I just read, Yod? I thought this game was fun? This seems like a neckbeards-only club!

You aren't terrifically far off the mark there, but here at PA Joe we play a little different. Arma is a fantastic game if you are into milsim-type stuff with unit formations and huge company-size battles and digital boot polishing simulators, but we don't like those things so we aim to have fun. You won't get banned for sucking and you won't get yelled at for being a noob. In fact we really want more people to play this so if you are new or at all interested hit us up on steam and we'll talk you through things. Yes, it's a complex game but that doesn't mean it's impossible to have fun.

What this means:
-We use contact reports because they are completely necessary but we don't yell at people for not getting the degrees of ascension right
-We will usually be trying to complete a mission, so coming into the server and griefing people via teamkilling or blowing up our humvees or otherwise being a dick will get you kicked. Coming into the mission and sucking at it because you're new and you get everyone killed? We get everyone killed every other mission so don't feel bad about it, you won't get kicked unless it's real obvious you're being a dick.
-This isn't Walking Simulator 2011. We aren't going to enforce arbitrary 'rules' like 'no running in combat' or some bullshit like that.
-Due to gameplay reasons it's best if you don't just get to pick whatever gun you want anytime you want however we try to set up missions so that there is a good variety. What this means is that the iron sights are perfectly usable and it won't kill you to learn to use them, however you won't always be stuck with them. This isn't COD and you don't get to unlock things after you get enough sweet headshots but sometimes we want to play some realistic games that don't involve tactilol weaponry.
-There will frequently be some form of team organization like fireteams/team leaders/etc. These involve an assumed contract between players - the team leaders won't be assholes about giving orders and their team members will try to do what they are told. If this becomes a problem we can take steps but when a bunch of guys works like a well-oiled machine it's awesome.

There's a demo!

Be warned that the demo actually runs like shit compared to the game. The demo stopped receiving engine updates well over a year ago, thus both vanilla and OA run much better.

Steam

We have a Steam Group
:

PM Sonar in Steam to join or an existing member.

If you want to make your own sig use this image created by Axen.

PAJoeWang6.jpg

SERVER INFO:
IP 205.234.159.82
PORT 2502

Go into multiplayer, then on the right click 'remote', then put this info in. The password is wang

The server does not use any mods and runs completely vanilla. It has Combined Operations on it so if people want to play OA content they can, vanilla players can play on vanilla maps too.

Ventrilo

*Beep pssssssshhhhhtt "Somebody's hot miccing" "That's not me my handmic is right-"*
*Beep* "Hot mic, hot mic, hot mic."
*Beep* "Last calling station this is Hot Mike, Over."

We use vent. Details here.
We're usually on channel 1 of the PA server.

How to talk like you're in the military.
(I know you guys think you do, but you don't.)

Phonetic alphabet:

Alpha
Bravo
Charlie
Delta
Echo
Foxtrot
Golf
Hotel
India
Juliet
Kilo
Lima
Mike
November
Oscar
Papa
Quebec
Romeo
Sierra
Tango
Uniform
Victor
Whiskey
Xray
Yankee
Zulu

How to pronounce numbers over the net:

The only digits pronounced differently are:
Three = Tree (because on a radio, two and three sound the same. I'm not even making that up.)
Four = Fow-er
Five = Fife
Nine = Niner

With numbers consisting of multiple digits, you pronounce each digit:

For example:

123 is not One hundred and twenty three, it is One Two Tree.
10 is not ten, it is one zero.

Army Slang:

Vehicles = Victors
Enemies/friendlies (never civilian) on foot = dismounts
mm (millimeter) = mike mike
Civilians = Local Nationals or Lima-Novembers
Fixed Wing (almost always jets) = Fast Movers
Artillery = Arty
Illumination = Illume
Communications = comms
Continue Mission = Charlie Mike
Return to Base = RTB
Helicopter Landing Zone = HLZ
Medical Evacuation = Medevac
Squad Automatic Weapon = SAW
Squad Designated Marksman = SDM
Minutes = Mikes
Medic = Doc
Thanks Much/Man = Tango Mike
Thanks a lot Bitch = Tango Alpha Bravo

Vehicle Names:
M1A1 = Abrams
MH-60 = Blackhawk
HMMWV = Hummvee
Mi-24 = Hind
Mi-8 = Hip
AV8B = Harrier
M136 = AT4
M249 = SAW
25mm Chaingun on the LAV 25 = Bushmaster
UH-1Y = Huey/Venom
AH-1Z = (Super) Cobra/Viper
BMP-3 = Bimp

Radio Phrases:
(over and out doesn't make any sense, don't say it.)

"What did you say?" = "[You] this is [me] say again, over."
"Just so you know./FYI" = "[You] this is [me] be advised, [your message] over."
"Everyone, shut the fuck up I have something to say." = "Break, Break, Break [You(normally when you do this you have something important for your CO or for everyone)] this is [me], [your message], over."
"I understand./Yes." = "[You] this is [me], roger, over." (People normally say Roj (pronounced Rodge) when they're being a smartass)
"I understand and wll comply." = "[You] this is [me], wilco, over." (Never say Roger Wilco unless you want to sound like a douche.)
"Hey I see some bad guys!" = "[You] this is [me], I have eyes on (if this applies) [Number/Type of enemies (dismounts/mounted/type of vehicles)] [Distance] to my B]Cardinal Direction/Degrees[/B moving (if they're moving) [Cardinal Direction/Degrees], over."
"Hold on./I'll get back to you." = "[You] this is [me], standby, over."

When referring to multiple people (platoon and larger), say: "All [Unit] Elements, [Your message, normally started with "be advised"], over."

(more to follow)

"Hey there highspeed, you better square that shit away!"
"Roger, sarnt."

Optimization Needed? Look here:

"ArmA 2 Optimization"
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73947

"Optimisation/FPS with ArmA II"
http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=6713

The world's huge and you don't even get a BFT!

arma-ii-20090501110714336.jpg
Remember, you can't spell "lost" without LT.

Sonar wrote:
The names are fictional but the place is real. This is taken from an area near the Black Sea.

And the players conform to real world physics. You fight your body weight, you have inertia, bullets drop and are affected by wind (rumor) the whole shebang of physics are there.

ARMA II can accurately be described as a soldier simulator. In fact it's taken from an actual soldier simulator available for sale for a measly few thousand dollars.

Bohemian Interactive, the creators, have packed in as much realism as they could into the game. Soldiers have a full range of real world military doctrine hand gestures for example. Sim enthusiasts can employ their 'Track IR' and move their head independently from their bodies. (I do this in ARMA I and it's more useful than you may think)

There are more commands than you can shake a stick at. The only think they've dumbed down is vehicles, to allow for players to actually be able to use them without a full HOTAS set up and a few years training.

Oh and yes it's multiplayer. Hundreds can jump onto a server to battle it out for control of the land, or simple death match.

Hundreds of pieces of equipment have been recreated here for the six factions in game. Russian, US Marines, Chernarussian Defence Forces, Chernarussian Movement of the Red Star, National Party, and Citizens of Chernarus aka civilians. You may be tempted to think of them as targets but that would be a mistake. In the single player campaign how you treat citizens effects how they treat you. Be cool and they'll give you valuable info. Be a shit and they'll fire bomb your jeep. Have fun walking back those ten miles to base because distances isn't compressed here. Ten miles is ten miles.

It's my OP and I'll quote you if I want to
I'll quote you if I want to.
You'd quote me too if it happened to you...

http://www.arma2.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmA_II
Server Admin Commands

Editor Guides and Resources

Guides
Mr. Murray's Armed Assault Editing Guide - Basic editor skills, how to place stuff make things move. Not all of it is strictly necessary if you have common sense and a mind for this stuff; still an excellent resource.

Reference Tables and Useful Lists:
ARMA II library of all available equipment and objects - The name is self explanatory. Invaluable resource containing all the in-game names of objects, weapons and their associated magazines.

Scripting Commands for ARMAII - List of all available commands for scripting and their associated parameters, uses, and sometimes even examples.

Youtube Videos

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over!

There was a firefight!
*shoots handgun in the air*

Some Billy Zane shit right thar.

For all the fobbits out there.
Quit buying all the shit in the PX!

System requirements
Minimal Requirements
* CPU: Dual Core Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz / Intel Core 2.0 GHz / AMD Athlon 3200+ or faster
* RAM: 1 GB
* Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 / ATI Radeon 1800 with Shader Model 3 and 256 MB

Optimal PC Requirements
* CPU: Intel Core 2.8 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster
* RAM: 2 GB
* Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT / ATI Radeon 4850 with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB

If you have better than this (and I mean honestly who doesn't) you can crank the shit out of the graphics and see for like 10 miles and crazy shit like that. People make cool videos by icing down their CPUs to run AI battles.

FAQ:
Everything is blurry/blinding and I can't see shit
Go to Video Options > Advanced and turn down Postprocessing effects - turning it down all the way turns them off.

The stars in the night sky look like shit with NVG (flat white discs)
Go to Video Options > Advanced and turn up Postprocessing effects.

I have goddamn awful mouse lag
Go to Game Options- turn down Aiming Deadzone. Turning it all the way down should give you a similar response time that you get with regular FPS's. Note that there are some people who still experience mouse lag after this is applied for some unknown reason. Try adjusting your mouse options outside of ArmAII (like turning off mouse acceleration).

My head is bobbing like it's connected to my body with rubber bands.
Go to Game Options - turn down Head Bob.

I got ArmAII through Steam - where is the manual?
Right click on your ArmAII icon, under the General tab there is a link to the manual that you can download.

What are the game switches and what do they do?
In Steam, right click on the ArmAII icon, go to Properties >General > Set Launch Options and you can add these switches:
-winxp
If you're running multiple GPUs/SLI/ Crossfire you may also want to use the -winxp startup parameter if you're using windows vista or 7.
This changes the directx version so that it will support multigpu configurations in ArmAII. Also, it can't hurt to try to see if this provides you with better performance.

-maxmem=xxxx
With this you can set the maximum virtual memory that will be allocated to the game, this works up to 2047.

-cpuCount=x
Will change the amount of cores the game uses. If you're using quad core you may want to use 2 cores for some unknown reason.
Not recommended for dual core as the other may be needed in other running programs.

-window
In a few cases running the game in windowed mode improves performance.

-nosplash
Turns off the intro movie (you're going to want to use this one)

-world=empty
Removes all detail from the starting screen, in case the hit to the fps there bugs you.

SCREENSHOTS
AaWHk.jpg

1PZEj.jpg

JmI5N.jpg

8S7kE.jpg

Tkyi8.jpg

Fr0Ph.jpg

hueg http://i.imgur.com/MtjUB.jpg

Hey I wanna make some missions how do I do that?
Lord Yod wrote: »
Found some things:

http://www.plannedassault.com is a website that will build basic single-player missions that you can then download and play. Since the only difference between single, multi, and co-op is which units are set as playable, this will let us build basic missions to fuck around with. (By basic I mean the objectives are things like 'clear this area' or 'hold this territory' or 'blow this up')

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-mission-development/144524-armed-assault-2-editor-tutorial-series-pclipse.html is a series of tutorial videos for using the editor in the game. Covers the basics of the interface, placing units, making groups, setting waypoints, creating triggers and objectives, and creating mission briefings, then covers a couple how-tos for things like helo assaults and HALO drops.

steam_sig.png
Lord Yod on

• Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am working on a server. Trying to figure out if this combined arms server stuff means everyone can play on it regardless of their game.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am excited, this is going to be great. Can't wait to do some proper missions.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I will be enjoying this come tomorrow when it finishes downloading.

Until then, I'm updating Ventrilo/reading the robust newbie guide.

Farangu on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    New thread, deserves a repost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbAmOnXMOwM

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you enjoy A2 and don't yet have Operation Arrowhead, I -highly suggest- you get it. It really is worth every cent.

For those on the fence about buying/trying, I'll provide some footage (not from PA, and using lots of mods, but still the core nature of the game is there):

Insertion via helocast for a recon mission
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7aYrMRzSUY
    The recon mission goes horribly awry
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCzz0PLkOAU
    Me practicing my terrible CAS skills
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-96pBXTslZ8
    Did you know there's a WW2 mod?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I4ulxmlFMk

hailthefish on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The fountains of jism from the Hitman thread is spilling over into this thread.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Really cannot stress enough how good Operation Arrowhead is. It lets you run ACE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGyAhssD_eQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLTfvS5FFTI

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Operation Flashpoint proper sequel finally down to 8 bucks you say?
    aaaand boughted.

Sadly the standalone expansion, which I hear is great, is still out of my impulse buy price range.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ordered a 16 slot combined ops server just now. Hopefully it means we can get everyone on a server no issues but if not I'll try and switch it to vanilla for the new people.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    neato!

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am now buying this when I get home. Combined ops.
    I hope you're happy with yourself, making me spend more money.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is the best shooter ever. I'll play the shit out of it if we're going for it.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have no money until a bit after the sale is over. But i may buy this at full price anyways, ive been eyeing it for months.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bought a new laptop, when it arrives this might just be the first thing I play on it. I was a huge fan of Operation Flashpoint back in the day, so this will be right up my alley.

I tried the demo on my old computer once, it did not end well.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can not wait to run you guys over with a tank.

It may even actually be on accident.

I've done about half of the training missions and so far I'm having a blast. The helicopters seem like they are really going to be a lot of fun. Not so sure about those (fucking) VTOLS yet, but I've got a 360 controller and a Saitek Cyborg. I'm sure I'll be able to work something out. Or I'll just ignore the fucking things. Whatever works.

And the MOUT training? That was tits, brah. Tits. The gun handling and movement options are pretty damn sweet.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Awesome co-op action. I imagine it would be even cooler if it worked! :)

When Sonelan's server is up I'll update the OP with the info and we'll get started doing missions.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is the best shooter ever. I'll play the shit out of it if we're going for it.

Oh we're going for it.

Doctor Deimos on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've got the original game and Operation Arrowhead. Are any of the additional packs worth getting? So far, they don't seem to be...

I'd love to get into a PA clan for this, however, I don't own the Steam versions if that makes a difference (I don't think the game uses Steam online though).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You don't need the Steam version to play, we just use Steam to get organized. The DLC packs aren't really worth it unless you are looking for more campaigns with more unit variety. For multiplayer they probably won't be used.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You should be fine Synthesis. The in-game server browser has Gamespy stamped all over it, and I just picked up the Steam edition of the game.

Drake on
  • Options
    Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I've got the original game and Operation Arrowhead. Are any of the additional packs worth getting? So far, they don't seem to be...

I'd love to get into a PA clan for this, however, I don't own the Steam versions if that makes a difference (I don't think the game uses Steam online though).

It doesn't matter, you can still get in the steam group.

So who's down for some coop tomorrow? We should set a time.

EDIT: Beaten hard.

Doctor Deimos on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »

It doesn't matter, you can still get in the steam group.

So who's down for some coop tomorrow? We should set a time.

EDIT: Beaten hard.

I am. We should do a proper mission with fireteams and buddies and everything. It'll be glorious.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The only thing the DLC (BAF and PMC anyway) does is give you higher rez textures of the new content. You can still use all the content without the DLC packs, it just looks like turds. If I can ever get my install fixed, and when you guys decide on a modset, maybe I'll make some terrible missions for you to suffer through.

Oh, and helicopters. There is a knack to it, it takes lots of practice, but it's not impossible. Currently I'm using a 360 controller, but I'm working on learning mouse and keyboard. This was all done with mouse and keyboard, for an example of what's possible within A2/OA.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    LionEyezLionEyez Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love milsims but ArmA 2 MP somehow runs like ass. The menu and interfaces are so clunky, and I can never figure out if I have the right version of ACE or not.

That said, haven't played in a while. Would love to try it out again! ^^

Steamid: LionEyez.

LionEyez on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That $8 dollar title was kind of misleading, because what people are really using for multiplayer and modding is Operation Arrowhead, right? Which is three times as much!

I only have the base game, but I do have fond memories of playing it with PA. I don't think I'll be able to purchase OA or Combined for awhile, though.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    If you already have A2, you can get OA and combine them yourself without too much hassle.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    AO says standalone though. ...So why do people talk about combining it? Is there something to this that the page itself just isn't saying? Do I have to install 30gb of arma II just to play this?

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    AO says standalone though. ...So why do people talk about combining it? Is there something to this that the page itself just isn't saying? Do I have to install 30gb of arma II just to play this?

My understanding is combining them lets you use the features of both together. I think otherwise each has things that the other doesn't. I'm sure someone else can explain it better.

Can I get an invite to the Steam group? Playing online is hard for me due to having to watch my 2 year old in the evenings, but I can probably swing weekends.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Invite mobilized.

And I'm down for stuff tonight. I don't have AC for now, so it's hot as fuck, but it's worth it for ArmA.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    With Steam, they're both technically "Standalone", even buying Combined Ops. When you install combined ops off a CD or off the publisher's download site, it just installs both of them to the same directory and thus they share the content files. If you get them off steam, you just have to either use junctions, or duplicate a couple folders between your A2 and your OA folders. You can use an option to launch as combined ops in steam, but all it does is reference those other folders in the launch parameters.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    That $8 dollar title was kind of misleading, because what people are really using for multiplayer and modding is Operation Arrowhead, right? Which is three times as much!

I only have the base game, but I do have fond memories of playing it with PA. I don't think I'll be able to purchase OA or Combined for awhile, though.

What we are playing right now is vanilla Arma because that's the one that's on sale. If you spend $8 and get it you can play.

What we would like to play is Combined Ops, because that is what 95% of servers and mods use. Good news: you can upgrade to this by just buying OA later on. Bad news: It's on sale for over $20 instead of just $8. So we figured it'd be easier to get people into this admittedly pretty complex game by playing vanilla only for now and upgrading later on depending on interest.

Most of the guys who are really interested in this will be picking up OA, I think, so what will probably happen is Sonelan will switch the server to CO in a few weeks/a month/something like that after we see how much interest there is.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    But Yod, it sounded like the server was going to be Combined Ops from the get go?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Enigma435Enigma435 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is a game I've owned forever but can never get into because I keep trying to play the campaign in single player and I suck at it. That and the AI helicopter dude always blows my team up trying to land on a tree. I'd love to do some coop if somebody doesn't mind telling me which end of the rifle the bullets come from, if you know what I mean.

steamid: enigma435

Enigma435 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Apparently a CO server can run vanilla content and vanilla players can play, according to the server host web page. So that's the setup for right now so people can get a feel for the game and decide if it's for them or not. If you actually like this game OA is super worth it even for $40 so the we'll see about switching to CO content and/or mods and such later on.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Okay, totally bought it, installing it. Not sure what all he means by linking it in steam, but I guess Ill figure that out once its done spending several hours to install.

So, yeah, if there is a group, invite me?

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The advantage present in Vanilla is that ACE2 is finalized there, so there's no hassle of having different versions.

Combined Ops is pretty much porting all of Vanilla into Operation Arrowhead, you can play in Chernarus and use all assets from Vanilla in OA. OA is a great improvement over vanilla, less bugs, more features and several UI tweaks.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Whatever you do, do not fucking buy it off the publisher's download service. I have spent three days trying to get it to install, to no avail. Use steam.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is there anything different you have to do to get ACE to play nice with Steam, or can you just follow the instructions given on their site?

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ACE works just fine with Steam.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I chewed through all the training missions (except for that VTOL one, gonna need to configure my joystick for that), and the opening set of campaign missions last night. This does indeed seem to be my kind of thing, so I've gone ahead and sprung for OA too. The SysReqs and talk about the serious, in-depth nature of the game always had me shy away from it, but I should've known that if I can fly Pacific Carrier Ops in IL-2 and do runway starts in Falcon 4.0 that this should have been right up my alley. My PC got upgraded not long ago too, so that's no longer a barrier either.

I'm looking forward to insane milsim shenanigans with you guys. I call dibs on the tank.

Drake on