As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Brink] and you'll miss the May 10th release date

1565758596062»

• Options
    Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Watched the basics video, I wasn't aware that mines were in this game, interesting.

Since I'm planning to start off as an Operative, I like that they have the ability to spot them. The fact that they mention Engineers can destroy them makes me wonder whether the mines are bulletproof, or stay up for a limited time, etc.

If it's anything like ETQWs mines, you can only have a few up at a time and they'll stay until destroyed or you change class. You could always get rid of the oldest by planting a new one, if you wanted to.

Interesting that they've gone back to the older Covert Ops spotting mines with binoculars type system.

Fantastication2 on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh yeah, if that's the case that sounds reasonable for mine limitation. How powerful were the ETQW mines?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    They had a pause between triggering and blowing up (maybe about 1.5 seconds?), if you were still really close to it you'd be at least incapacitated. You could always trick them and trigger them then duck behind walls to avoid any damage at all.

Tripmines blew up instantly, but the price was having the fairly visible red lines across wherever it was covering.

Mines would get blown up by grenades though, so you generally had to be careful to put them somewhere you weren't going to be staying around because of the TK potential, but then that left you open to getting shot while you planted them (you threw it on the ground, flipped to pliers and spent about 3 seconds arming them).

Even getting one-shotted by a tripmine you usually just kicked yourself for not thinking to check (or more usually in my case, seeing the trip beam but not actually connecting it with 'hey, I shouldn't run through there').

Fantastication2 on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cool, thanks. It'll be interesting to see how they change in Brink.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, Mines can't be shot, the only way to destroy them is via Engineer's freeze spray shit. Barring that, Operative can at least let people know "don't step here" by making the mines visible to the rest of your team.

Also, something they didn't mention but I was able to do while playing Operative, is that I was able to hack a dead dude's PDA, and see the location of all enemies on my minimap for awhile. I'm not sure if this enemy sight extended to the rest of my team, or just me. I'm guessing just me though.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Apparently that's a whole team thing, from what I was reading. Certainly adds a bit more to the class than ETQW had (ET was different, grabbing a uniform and letting your team in through the 'locked' back doors was good times).

Fantastication2 on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This game just sounds better and better and better. I'm almost certainly gonna be going mostly Operative, barring any weird niggles I might find with it once I actually get to play the damn thing.

Next week is gonna go by sooo sloooowly, I can tell already.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh yeah, if that's the case that sounds reasonable for mine limitation. How powerful were the ETQW mines?

Luigi didn't you make the XBL metatag for brink? It should be posted again in these last few pages so it can be added to the new OP.
    Interesting that they've gone back to the older Covert Ops spotting mines with binoculars type system.

Because of this statement I had to go and reinstall and play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory all over again...God that was such a good multiplayer game.

iRevert on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I still need to get added to the 360 list, xbl is customRUB (don't ask...).

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Page, on the [Brink] of needing mint shoes.
    Clever!

SvK on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    iRevert wrote: »

Luigi didn't you make the XBL metatag for brink? It should be posted again in these last few pages so it can be added to the new OP.

Nuh uh, I'm done with them. Spending time making a tag then having to always check and accept invites was fine, since I thought I was helping to foster a community, but the responses I saw for previous games was often "Metatag is pointless, just ask here if you want to join a game".

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I know someone made a metatag, but I don't remember it offhand at the moment.

Edit: Looks like it's PABrink

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    iRevert wrote: »

Nuh uh, I'm done with them. Spending time making a tag then having to always check and accept invites was fine, since I thought I was helping to foster a community, but the responses I saw for previous games was often "Metatag is pointless, just ask here if you want to join a game".

This occurs once the first metatag fills up, and then a second starts

And then people realize that people in Metatag A can't see people in Metatag B and vice versa, so it actually becomes more difficult to put a group together.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really hope this game gets consistent updates, especially with new content. If it is as fun as they make it out to be, updates will really keep this game going.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Please add:

Heffling - Alpha_Night to the list

Heffling on
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also add:

Ninjabear - DinoTeen

as well.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I believe if you want to get put on the OP list, you have to send a private message to heatedinamerica.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Working on a new OP right now, I'll add you both.

360 list correct?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Please link the new thread here, on account of search being disabled.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    CarbonFire, can you add me?

Tridus1x- Tridus1x - 360

Thanks.

Tridus1x on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011

You can use google to search the site.

site:forums.penny-arcade.com blabbityblahblah

Morkath on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Morkath wrote: »

neat, thanks.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No need to search, for here is the new thread!

[BRINK] Getting Smart on May 10th

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Morkath wrote: »

And while it won't index anywhere near all of the posts, you can try searching for a certain one in the thread using inurl:(threadnumber, eg for this thread "t=117253")

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.