As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

school is for pretentious assholes

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have a brain

I don't really know what it's up to most of the time

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DAMMIT I SHOULD BE SLEEPING

zonugal do you play chess? Your thought process seems conducive to chess.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    seriously, some of my friends do the dumbest shit, and i'm like "you really didn't think that one through, did you? what did you expect to happen once you did that?"

it's like i'm the only one with a fucking backup plan

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm pretty terrible at planning ahead. I can look ahead only one step, but I always do my best to make sure it's the right one.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    i rarely think ahead.

that's a lie, but it makes me seem dashing

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited April 2011
    at the very least i leave myself a couple of options that if i don't do one or one doesn't turn out i've already considered something else

which may or may not be the right thing but it could lead to some other consideration

Dead Legend on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DAMMIT I SHOULD BE SLEEPING

zonugal do you play chess? Your thought process seems conducive to chess.

I actually don't play to many strategy games all together. My strengths, in using my foresight, actually end up being used for comedy the most. Preparing jokes and improv theater in general serves my nature very well (and my mind tends to grant me some talent towards them).

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I could say I tend to think ahead but, in reality, it's actually paranoia. Which is more thinking back more than anything else.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i tend to think ahead socially in that i am terrified of a lot of social situations so I try to plan out as much of my interactions as possible

this of course is ridiculous and never works but

can't help it. in terms of more productive thinking ahead, nah I tend to just go with whatever

Vann Diras on
    edited April 2011
    It's not ridiculous. Planning out social interactions in your head is just practicing them, plain and simple. There's nothing wrong with that.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
    edited April 2011
    I usually demonstrate a remarkable lack of forethought
    I think it's because I never thought I'd live this long
    not to say that I think I am constantly at risk of death

well
    not to say that I think I am constantly at risk of death all the time

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Last year I attended a work training thing with my department (maybe 90 altogether) and during it made around six or seven great jokes. I had a coworker try a joke for it to fall flat. He later spoke to me and asked what my process was and I let him in on it. "Any time you see me in a large crowd looking off or being quiet I am assembling a joke. And I mean I'm analyzing the beginning, the flow and reworking the punchline. That is my process at all times."

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, planning ahead for social situations ain't nothing weird.

I really should give myself more credit in social situations. People seem to respond well to me in person, and I guess I made an okay impression at PAX last year. Nonetheless, I still can't shake the notion that I'm a big creep and everybody hates me.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited April 2011
    don't really give a shit if i die

just ask that it be quick

Dead Legend on
    edited April 2011
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I usually demonstrate a remarkable lack of forethought
    I think it's because I never thought I'd live this long
    not to say that I think I am constantly at risk of death

well
    not to say that I think I am constantly at risk of death all the time

It's well known that you live on the edge, Dichotomy.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited April 2011
    I don't get it

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited April 2011
    Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Good news! When worked out, I will still get a Distinction (A grade equivalent) on my overall qualification which will be on my certificate, so I do not need to resit.

This is very good news, thank you to those who kept me sane when I thought I'd failed miserably.

Liiya on
    edited April 2011
    Dang, wish I got those kinds of birthday presents.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Liiya wasn't your idea of failing miserably like a B or a credit or something?

The Black Hunter on
    edited April 2011
    I have been lucky Wiet!

Yes, TBH. And yes, I am a bit crazy.

Liiya on
  • HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey guys. My rant.

Group Assignments. [cue collective groan]

The one I am attempting to salvage is a trainwreck. A report and presentation. Now, who in the beginning rallied and got them to actually decide what we were doing? Me. Why? Because I didn't want TODAY to happen. Needless to say, it did.

I went to the library we needed to do the whole shebang on, on my own. We swapped email addresses. I did some work.

The Easter break happened. I started writing what I could, la-di-da. They said they would email me their information. Needless to say, they didn't. I then had my wisdoms out, and therefore was out of action.

This morning, the day before the fucking thing is due, I ask for their information. "Um, er, um" was the response. "I thought you were doing the report? We did the powerpoint..." Now. This powerpoint is a disaster. Red text in loopy fonts, on minecraft and final fantasy backdrops. With Friday as a final piece of music to top it off. "Cos its cool!"

The report, they wanted me to bullshit, WITHOUT their input, (group assignment much?!) is 10pgs long. They wanted me to do this, tonight.

So, I have a sliiight panic attack. Thankfully, I liasoned with the disability people, and explained the trainwreck I can't get off. So, I get a week extension. This is good. Very good.

However, guess who is now hated by her group.

Tomorrow will be fun.

HyperBallad on
    Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
    edited April 2011
    This powerpoint is a disaster. Red text in loopy fonts, on minecraft and final fantasy backdrops. With Friday as a final piece of music to top it off. "Cos its cool!"

Oh my god.

I feel for you, it is the worst when you are doing all the hard work and everyone else is being plain stupid.

Thank god they gave you that extension, does each group member get individually graded? I hope so.

Liiya on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Liiya wrote: »
    Good news! When worked out, I will still get a Distinction (A grade equivalent) on my overall qualification which will be on my certificate, so I do not need to resit.

This is very good news, thank you to those who kept me sane when I thought I'd failed miserably.

That's brilliant to hear, I know you were worried about it so glad it turned out like this :^:

And HB, I've only ever had to deal with group assignments at A-level (...and very briefly in teacher training but my group was pretty good so that's not a relevant anecdote) but my god do I know that feeling

Being the bad guy because you've had to call them out on being crap and fix their mess? How lovely!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just hoping tomorrow will pass with a minimum amount of angst. Seriously, the amount of tension in my jaw could rival... I dunno what it will rival, but definately something. Thanks guys.

HyperBallad on
    Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Speaking of schools and pretentious I am back from France and it was awesome.

But now I fall asleep around 5 p.m. and wake up around 2 a.m.

Which is actually really rad and gives me a lot of quiet alone time to do work and relax

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well this thread moved at a mach pace while I slept.

Oghulk on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I enjoyed my first uni group assignment a lot, the second one a little less, but it wasn't too bad. Only one hairy moment but it didn't kill us

The Black Hunter on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I mean, synesthesia, like all things, exists on a greyscale, and what Muse has can be considered a very mild sort of it

I have a similar sort of thing where I conceptualize places, events, narratives in terms of objects positioned in relationship to one another

like when I try to visualize a plot, I think of a room in which one man is standing next to another man and is looking down at his hands, while the first man keeps his feet at shoulder-width and looks straight ahead. Or it could be a bee hanging out on the window while a refrigerator lies tipped over on the other side of the room. Depends on what I'm thinking of!

Hey, guys, want to play a fun game?

How do you visualize a year?

For me, it is a circle. The end/beginning of the year is at the bottom of the circle, and it progresses counter-clockwise, so from the bottom of the circle it goes right to January, then up until July, then back down to December on the lefthand side

A year is a fairly long (not infinitely) corridor or rectangular cube of varying color for me.

Or when I think about it now it's almost like steps downward with January being the highest and December being the lowest.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I never plan ahead for anything other than "how will I get home?"

As for my thought process: it is a constant stream of fragmented story ideas or characters

In a completely random order

I ain't able to thonk/write in chronological order.

Bits and pieces kinda all fall together then I jigsaw up them bitches

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Seriously

I am never not engaged in a story

Readin', writin', watchin' tv, or even just thinkin'

There is always a.story goin' on

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There is a death wish marathon on AMC this week.

I thought of you when I saw that TLB.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
    edited April 2011
    Even though I have all the dvds

I still been watchin' that marathon

And today is the best day

it's death wish 3 day

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i think outkast is a painfully neglected form of poesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgvGjAhvIw

I have to listen to this song every time it gets brought up in conversation

the perfect song.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm really pissed that I missed all the deep thought

a year is a vertical column, with the months wrapping around. each month is a different color (in pastel) and the months always line up vertically.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    there's this girl in one of my classes and I always thought she was attractive but now something clicked (as happens) and I feel like I gotta talk to her

I never have before, though! so I'm saying the odds are that I'll just keep thinking about it until school ends

Charles Kinbote on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    CK go talk to her

Do it

Now

(Maybe later)

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    edited April 2011
    AMP'd wrote: »
    I'm really pissed that I missed all the deep thought

a year is a vertical column, with the months wrapping around. each month is a different color (in pastel) and the months always line up vertically.

I know right and a lot of it was right up my alley too.

(All the months have different colors for me too, and they usually stay the same. Like November's always red and December's always blue).

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    eh, maybe

this weekend is spring fling so maybe I'll just get drunk and do some things with ladies

vOv

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2011
    Host a dinner party.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
This discussion has been closed.