As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 4/27/11: Universal Bliss

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Graphic Violence
Action Comics #900, good Cornell story, shitty Daivd Goyer story (see the bitching thread). The Richard Donner contribution is nothing more than a screenplay type story with B&W storyboards. But Luthor, he just can't let things go:

Luthor is given the opportunity to create universal goodwill and bliss across the galaxy, all he has to do is just not give in to a negative thought, like killing Superman. The whole world gets a few moments of bliss (Bruce is actually happy for a second), then this:

supermanaction900d.jpg

supermanaction900e.jpg

supermanaction900f.jpg

And Luthor was the one behind trapping the super-family with Doomsday. And there are multiple Doomsdays now, designed to counteract each Super-family member, with the real Doomsday shriveled away.

And Detective Comics #876, solid as always, with a new way to find a dead body:

batmandetective876a.jpg

here is a link to the body, which isn't really gory, it's just might be seen that way so NSFW. It was a bank boss' assistant stuffed into a killer whale's body, left in the lobby of the bank.

TexiKen on

• Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Avengers 12.1 was REALLY GOOD.

Or would have been if it weren't for the art, I've never been that big on hitch.

I also had three smaller complaints: Spider-woman did not need to be naked (though at least they neither inferred sexual assault, nor did they try to make it "sexy" It wasn't BAD, just something that they probably should have avoided), the fact that no one reprimanded Ms. Marvel for punching the Wizard, and Red Ghost's STUPID, STUPID facial hair.

But it was a cool book, and it shows more attention to the concurrent events in the Marvel universe than Bendis ever has. I don't necessarily need, or even want to see that, but it was an unexpected surprise. World War Hulks, Annihilation Conquest, all of the other Avengers books, S.W.O.R.D., even the new MODOK that showed up in Hulk is right down to how he speaks.
    The only actual conflict is with the Wizard. But that's actually because there's ALREADY a conflict with how the wizard acts between his fantastic four appearances and all of his recent Hulk book appearances. Bendis just took the Hulk version because that's where the Intelligencia comes from.

MastaP on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2011
    Locke & Key: Keys to the Kingdom #6 was fucking crazy

Like,

Goddamn

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Alright, lots of stuff this week.

Captain America 617 - Jesus christ this book was gorgeous. Brubaker is the luckiest dude in comics right now. From now until July it seems the book will be a triple feature, following Bucky, Steve and Natasha/Sharon's attempts to get Bucky out of Russia. Bucky's art was by Butch Guice and oh my god it is so fucking good. The layouts are insane and everything looks so filthy and awful it is the best work of Guice's career. Deodato's art following the girls is better than normal since the subdued color palette compliments his line art much better than the coloring in New or Dark Avengers. Chris Samnee knocks it out of the park with Steve's story, as always, with fluid kinetic fight scenes and wonderful facial expressions. Super excited for Captain America and Bucky. The stories themselves were all fantastic, just when the story was starting to lag Brubaker has grabbed my interest by the throat.

Avengers 12.1 - A perfect example of the .1 concept. A fun, well-written done-in-one that leads in to future storylines. Hitch's art has slipped a bit since Ultimates but isn't bad by any means. As previously mentioned, Bendis kept his continuity straight and juggles several current Marvel Universe events. Great, great book.

The Mighty Thor 1 - Fraction starts the run off with a nice set-up issue, channeling equal parts JMS and Walt Simonson. The priest's speech to his congregation didn't come off as heavy handed and dealt with the reality of religion in a world where Thor and Loki live right next door to you in a really earnest way. Loki is wonderful as always and I am loving the new Asgard full of mythological creatures and beasties. Olivier Copiel is amazing, particuarly during the Silver Surfer segments.

Amazing Spider-Man 659- This was a blast. Good old fashioned fun comics, that ties in one of the more...odd classic Fantastic Four stories. Caselli is great and I hope he has a bright future ahead of him. Slott's humor is at the top of it's game, with Spidey's pure joy at fighting zombie pirates in a Skullcave being a notable moment.

Batman Inc. 5 - I decided to give Inc. another shot after my mixed feelings towards 4 and I am glad I did. The story was fairly straightforward and very well done. I love The Hood and hope we see a lot more of him. The new Batman of UndefinedAfricanNation had a really goofy costume though.

FF 2 - Happy to see that Ben's sense of humor didn't die with Johnny. The issue was solid, if uneventful. Except for the ending, which was pretty dang great.

Venom 2 - I enjoy the done-in-one format Remender is working with in the series, and Flash's relationship with the symbiote comes across as more complex than with Brock or Gargan. I'm excited for Peter to join the book next issue. Also, the letters column mentioned Toxin will be used sometime soon which is fantastic!

Secret Avengers 12.1 - Yes, this is what I want. The espionage team feeling comes across more in Spencer's issue than it did in all of Brubaker's run. I enjoy Ant-Man and War Machine's begrudging friendship a whole bunch. Spencer's Steve Rogers sounded a bit off though, cracking a joke after confronting a man who caused the death of hundreds of government informants ain't really Steve's style.

Uncanny X-Men 536 - Gillen really digs writing aliens, it seems. I find the Breakworld culture really interesting, so the issue was great for me even though it was basically the Uncanny Breakworlders. I am disappointed by Krunn's heel turn, though.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    FF #2, Reed could have solved everything, but doesn't:

Doom needs to use Kristoff's memories to remember some blank spots in his head, so they're hooked up to a machine:

img018.jpg

img019.jpg

And this was a very nice Brian Stelfreeze splash from Action #900 that does a spot on job copying the Superman styles throughout the years:

superman900splash.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    Locke & Key: Keys to the Kingdom #6 was fucking crazy

Like,

Goddamn

Just finished it.

Mother fucker.

I don't think I've ever loathed a fictoinal character like I loathe Dodge. Creepy bastard.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Venom was thoroughly awesome this week, like Blank said the symbiot seems to be developing a much different relationship with Flash than with previous hosts.
    Much more "symbiotic" than the parasitic siute we're used to seeing. Better not kill Kraven though, that bitch belongs to Kain! He can go ahead and kill Jack-O-Lantern though.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Seriously guys

Captain America was so beautiful

I will post two pages I think. One Guice and one Samnee

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Buy this.
    FurWl.jpg
    4SeVP.jpg

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Looks like a great week this week!

Solar on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ugh Hockey Hair Superman was the WORST

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    They didn't put in Red/Blue Superman though :(

Here is a really cool scene from New Mutants #24, where Gambit is very environmentally friendly. Also, Emma being a bitch. Age of X was a really good read, I recommend it to those who haven't checked in on the X-Books in a while:

xmennewmutants24agambitpaper.jpg

xmennewmutants24cagexepilogue2.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »

Here is a really cool scene from New Mutants #24, where Gambit is very environmentally friendly. Also, Emma being a bitch. Age of X was a really good read, I recommend it to those who haven't checked in on the X-Books in a while:

Wait, is that
    Jean? She came back to life? What's she talking about to Jono?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shouldn't Cannonball be invulnerable while blasting, or is Age of X power-wonky too?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »

Wait, is that
    Jean? She came back to life? What's she talking about to Jono?

Legion warped reality, and in bringing everything back to normal some outlying things got brought back. Which is why Chamber has his old face blast powers again, and Jean/Phoenix appears to be back. I think Legacy #248 is going to deal with the after effects. It could be Rachel too, or a new girl, Carey left it fairly open.

edit: and Ringo, he didn't die, just injured a bit, knocked out.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait, wait, so Age of X is basically a small scale House of M, with Legion as Wanda?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Age of X is Age of Apocalypse and House of M mushed together, but it looks like a way to get a few mutants their powers back.

Just ignore the Age of X Universe issues.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Which mutants got their powers back?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Which mutants got their powers back?

we'll know more in a few weeks but so far just:

Chamber, but there is the potential for a few others to be fixed, like Toad and Marrow.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Toad never lost his powers, I thought.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I honestly can't remember who has their powers or not anymore outside of the regular x-men. Jubilee might get a shot at being repowered though I don't know if she would lose her vampire stuff.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fix Jubileee pleaseeeee I hate the stupid vampire stuff hate it hate it hate it

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Vampire Jubilee is the first time I have ever found Jubilee interesting. And it helps that her mini was good.

Plus I find it hilarious that she's now developing dracula powers in the same way one would be expected to develop mutant powers

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    so she can turn into a bat now?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    She turned into mist. It's only a matter of time before we get bats and the hypno stare.

MastaP on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wolverine and Jubilee was a really good mini and not just because of Rockslide

Also hell no she isn't getting fixed look at the X-23 solicits

Furu on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    read Hulk: Scorched Earth yesterday

was pretty dang cool

Antimatter on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just managed to pick up a few johnny-come-lately's at my LCS yesterday, like Venom #2, which was fun as hell, and the Steve Rogers: Super Soldier Annual #1, which had nice n purdy arts.

Plus anything with Namor sounding kingly while losing his shit is good with me:
    namor_water.jpg

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg