As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BRINK] Hang on, the Boat-Bus is in for some chop! (OUT NOW!)

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    Apparently a dev did say once that unused xp could be shunted into other characters, so that may help in the long run, if they're keeping that in the game.

They took that out. They said in a more recent interview that they wanted to do it, but ran out of time. Maybe in an update?

I really don't understand how the whole leveling process works. For a single character at max level, is he only going to be good at one (or two) classes? So that means for the duration of a match I'll only be able to play one or two classes with the full range of tactical options? Or can you spec a character to be good at most or all classes and thus be able to swap to whatever your team needs at a given time?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Apparently a dev did say once that unused xp could be shunted into other characters, so that may help in the long run, if they're keeping that in the game.

They took that out. They said in a more recent interview that they wanted to do it, but ran out of time. Maybe in an update?

I really don't understand how the whole leveling process works. For a single character at max level, is he only going to be good at one (or two) classes? So that means for the duration of a match I'll only be able to play one or two classes with the full range of tactical options? Or can you spec a character to be good at most or all classes and thus be able to swap to whatever your team needs at a given time?

From what I understand it's either that or you choose Heavy/Medium/Light and then you can switch between all your characters during the match but they have to be that weight class.

It's definitely confusing. Every answer just leaves more questions.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

ABILITIES / PERKS CLASS CUSTOMIZATION (from the Ready and Able Trailer)

abilities.jpg

You earn level credits for leveling up. You can then spend those level credits on abilities/perks for any of the classes or general abilities/buffs that apply to all classes (like increased damage / health).

You can put points into whatever class ability / perk you want, but you can only have 3 abilities selected PER CLASS. If you haven't purchased any abilities for a particular class, you'll apparently be stuck with their most basic ability(s). With only 20 unlock points total, you can only truly specialize in one or two classes. Or you can spread your level credits out evenly if you know all the perks you want to unlock for each class. Having a jack of all trades characters can certainly work, you're just limiting your available options for each class.

Choosing perks / abilities only happens in between games in the customization menu. You can select your perks / abilities for each of your classes for that character, up to 3 per class plus an unknown number of general perks. Once in-game, your perks and abilities for each class are set until the next game.

Body Type can also only be changed in between games, but any body type can be any class.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Body Type can also only be changed in between games, but any body type can be any class.

I thought I read that body type can never be changed once chosen for a character.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ObiFett wrote: »

I thought I read that body type can never be changed once chosen for a character.

Your voice and appearance cannot change once you create your character, but you can change your body type at any time apparently. In between games of course ;-)

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think it's only between matches like Carbon says, otherwise unlocking the body types as you level up makes no sense. We'd all just be stuck with medium build.

Edit: Beat

Continental_Op on
    XBL - TeenageHead
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Any word if the Pre-Order pack items will become available for those whom don't plan on buying 4 copies of the game to get all the weapons and items?

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/08/17/brink-pre-order-bonuses-announced/

:x

Although I'll take a guess that they'll end up as paid DLCs sometime later. :?

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Also apparently the number supplies your character has during a game are body type dependent. Lights have the least amount of supplies, heavies obviously the most. That means heavy medics will be able to give out more syringes in one go than a medium or light medic.

Supply points are spent each time you use one of your special unlocked abilities, and recharge over time.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Have Splash Damage said anything about whether there'll be time for customization in between rounds on PC? It's an awfully specific thing that I wouldn't really expect to hear anything about, but it's also something that was fucked up in COD BLOPS, even after the developers claimed the PC version would have everything in the console versions.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Have Splash Damage said anything about whether there'll be time for customization in between rounds on PC? It's an awfully specific thing that I wouldn't really expect to hear anything about, but it's also something that was fucked up in COD BLOPS, even after the developers claimed the PC version would have everything in the console versions.

Nothing has been said, but apparently you can skip the starting cinematics on the other versions and jump right into the customization menu before the match starts, so I'd imagine it would be the same way on the PC.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pajama_Man wrote: »
    Any word if the Pre-Order pack items will become available for those whom don't plan on buying 4 copies of the game to get all the weapons and items?

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/08/17/brink-pre-order-bonuses-announced/

:x

Although I'll take a guess that they'll end up as paid DLCs sometime later. :?

They'll not be available again, according to one of the SD peeps on the SD Brink forum.

Fantastication2 on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They're just skins anyway, not entirely new weapons.

All you're missing out on is the look.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind, it seems the Steam and Amazon/D2D ones are actually exclusive weapons, not weapon skins.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »

EDIT: Actually, nevermind, it seems the Steam and Amazon/D2D ones are actually exclusive weapons, not weapon skins.

I think I've read an interview that said the Caesar revolver and Hockler machine pistol have functionally identical counter-parts in the standard weapons list, but I can't recall the source right now. They might have actually meant comparable rather than identical though.

I'm trying to decide between GAME (Spec Ops & Doom packs) or Amazon.co.uk (Psycho pack) - I don't really dig either of the masks that much compared to other options I've seen in screenshots. I like the half-mask with stitched mouth motiff that you see on the hooded cover-art resistance guy more than the Psycho mask, and the 6/8 red eyed gimp mask (I'm assuming 'The Bug'?) more the the Spec Ops Sloani.

I do like the Doom pack tattoo, the green eye scope and my favourite item would probably be the Caesar revolver. Choices!

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    AngryPuppy wrote: »

I think I've read an interview that said the Caesar revolver and Hockler machine pistol have functionally identical counter-parts in the standard weapons list, but I can't recall the source right now. They might have actually meant comparable rather than identical though.

I'm trying to decide between GAME (Spec Ops & Doom packs) or Amazon.co.uk (Psycho pack) - I don't really dig either of the masks that much compared to other options I've seen in screenshots. I like the half-mask with stitched mouth motiff that you see on the hooded cover-art resistance guy more than the Psycho mask, and the 6/8 red eyed gimp mask (I'm assuming 'The Bug'?) more the the Spec Ops Sloani.

I do like the Doom pack tattoo, the green eye scope and my favourite item would probably be the Caesar revolver. Choices!

The doom body armor sold it for me so I plumped for the Game double pack.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can I get an Invite to the steam group?
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197994272020

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Your voice and appearance cannot change once you create your character, but you can change your body type at any time apparently. In between games of course ;-)

"Man, Light Sneaky Ops guy really let himself go."

Echo on
  • Options
    cwoaccwoac Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Adda wrote: »

Yeah, I'm much more tempted towards the game one, except I note they are selling it as a 'special edition' and charging an extra fiver for it...

cwoac on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    cwoac wrote: »

Yeah, I'm much more tempted towards the game one, except I note they are selling it as a 'special edition' and charging an extra fiver for it...

Yeah they got the rights to two of the pre-order packs (unlike other retailers with one) so I figure that's how they justify the additional cost. I'm not too fussed.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow, getting really close to time.

Can't wait.

Talkc on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can light body types use shotguns? I don't remember.

The exciting thing for me is that pistols are a viable option for a main weapon now! I plan on having my light medic use pistols and back it up with a shotgun. But I think I may have to settle on smg's

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Can light body types use shotguns? I don't remember.

The exciting thing for me is that pistols are a viable option for a main weapon now! I plan on having my light medic use pistols and back it up with a shotgun. But I think I may have to settle on smg's

As nice as it will be to dart in and out of the fray throwing people heals and resurrections, I can't help but wonder if a medium body type might be better. I guess it's really a toss up between slightly better speed/mobility vs slightly better survivability.

But, seeing how fast some of those people dropped in the various videos, slightly extra health may not matter too much. We have to wait and see, I guess.

Decoy on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hope FF is off by default, it's really not something that should be in a game with a Spy class, unless you want teamates fighting each other instead of the enemy, which sounds like the exact opposite of what SD is trying to accomplish with Brink.

There's not enough WAT in the world for that. . .

I think it's fundamentally pants-on-head to have a spy class mechanic (allowing for enemies to look like teammates) and then turn FF off thereby making spy-checking (shooting every single teammate you ever see in the face) free and unpunished.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Im sure this has been answered already, but my interwebs at work are stupid slow.
    Is this game going to have split screen? It'd be nice if my wife could play at the same time.
    I tried googling it, but all the answers I can find are from like 09 and I dont know if things have changed since then.

I'll be bummed if it's not split screen, but im probably buying it anyway

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This all seems cool, but I am worried the gameplay looks generic...

I am on the fence thinking on it.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    oh yeah, is amazon.ca getting the psycho pack bonus, gamestop.ca and walmart.ca both show their respective packs as bonuses but amazon doesn't. . .

I'd prefer to get the psycho pack, but it would suck to get it and then find out I didn't get any bonus, I'm a bonus whore.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    dinoarusdinoarus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    oh yeah, is amazon.ca getting the psycho pack bonus, gamestop.ca and walmart.ca both show their respective packs as bonuses but amazon doesn't. . .

I'd prefer to get the psycho pack, but it would suck to get it and then find out I didn't get any bonus, I'm a bonus whore.

I'm pretty sure we get screwed, amazon.ca shows preorder bonuses for other games but not for brink. I'd assume we don't get the psycho pack.

and shotguns are medium weapons.

dinoarus on
    Steam/XBL: OGSTudbone
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This game is going to be perfect for breaking in my new computer

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Beezel wrote: »
    This game is going to be perfect for breaking in my new computer

Oh shit, I need to build a new computer!

I dl'd new video drivers for my aging Radeon 3800 and... it had almost fallen off the list of available ones. Pretty soon I'll have to start digging into their archives for updates, and that is a bad place to be. :(

spool32 on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think the different body types have the same number of pips.

I'm pretty sure Lights do not have access to a shotgun.

I thought you could only pick one character per game, and that you changed that character's loadout. I don't know if you can have different set-ups for each class for each character.

Get Smart-- General Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odefa3EgTpM&feature=channel_video_title

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dedicated pc server faq
    We’ve always been dedicated to our PC fanbase, and with Brink hitting shelves in less than two weeks, we’re here today to clarify just what we have in store for PC players regarding dedicated server support.

One additional note before we get down to business — we’re currently shooting to have Brink available to pre-load on Steam prior to the game’s release. We’ll have more specific info on that in the days to come.

Now, let’s get this FAQing underway:

What is the Brink Standalone Dedicated Server?
    The Brink Standalone Dedicated Server allows anyone to run multiplayer servers for the PC version of Brink. As the server is standalone, it does not require a full version of Brink to be installed and is completely free.

Where will I be able to get the Brink Standalone Dedicated Server?
    The Brink Standalone Dedicated Server will be available for download via Steam prior to release. Once the server is available, you can simply browse to the Tools tab in your Steam client and grab it from there.

Will I be able to run several instances of the Brink Standalone Dedicated Server on a single machine?
    Yes. The Brink Standalone Dedicated Server comes with several pre-made bat files that automatically define different ports for each instance. It’s also possible for you to set your own, custom ports.

In terms of available game options, how customizable will the Brink Standalone Dedicated Server be?
    The Brink Standalone Dedicated Server includes several different game configuration files covering all of the regular game modes, including campaign, stopwatch, objective, and co-op challenges. In addition, there are a variety of server-side commands available that allow you to further customize your server, including team sizes, time limits and overtime, warm-up rules, friendly fire, voice chat, availability of Command Post buffs, rank restrictions, number of bots, and password.

I represent a Game Server Provider. How can my company offer servers for Brink?
    Easy! Once the Standalone Dedicated Server is available on Steam, you’ll be able to start getting Brink game servers up for your customers. We’re currently aiming to have the server files available before release so you’ll be all set when the game comes out.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    I hope they register a protocol so I can just link to [URL="brink://my_ip:9292/"]brink://my_ip:9292/[/URL] and have people click a link to join.

Echo on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dedicated pc server faq
    We’ve always been dedicated to our PC fanbase, and with Brink hitting shelves in less than two weeks, we’re here today to clarify just what we have in store for PC players regarding dedicated server support.

One additional note before we get down to business — we’re currently shooting to have Brink available to pre-load on Steam prior to the game’s release. We’ll have more specific info on that in the days to come.

Now, let’s get this FAQing underway:

What is the Brink Standalone Dedicated Server?
    The Brink Standalone Dedicated Server allows anyone to run multiplayer servers for the PC version of Brink. As the server is standalone, it does not require a full version of Brink to be installed and is completely free.

Where will I be able to get the Brink Standalone Dedicated Server?
    The Brink Standalone Dedicated Server will be available for download via Steam prior to release. Once the server is available, you can simply browse to the Tools tab in your Steam client and grab it from there.

Will I be able to run several instances of the Brink Standalone Dedicated Server on a single machine?
    Yes. The Brink Standalone Dedicated Server comes with several pre-made bat files that automatically define different ports for each instance. It’s also possible for you to set your own, custom ports.

In terms of available game options, how customizable will the Brink Standalone Dedicated Server be?
    The Brink Standalone Dedicated Server includes several different game configuration files covering all of the regular game modes, including campaign, stopwatch, objective, and co-op challenges. In addition, there are a variety of server-side commands available that allow you to further customize your server, including team sizes, time limits and overtime, warm-up rules, friendly fire, voice chat, availability of Command Post buffs, rank restrictions, number of bots, and password.

I represent a Game Server Provider. How can my company offer servers for Brink?
    Easy! Once the Standalone Dedicated Server is available on Steam, you’ll be able to start getting Brink game servers up for your customers. We’re currently aiming to have the server files available before release so you’ll be all set when the game comes out.

Wow, that sounds good. I play on ps3, but that sounds nice. I have no idea how other games do it, but it sounds good to me.

Also, that new video I linked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odefa3EgTpM&feature=channel_video_title

looks great.

And it mentions the "surfing" thing one of the devs teased months ago. Basically, if you go to buff a guy, and you can't quite reach, you will be pulled towards him. If that guy starts running, you will catch a ride. You can let go of the button at any time to cancel, but while you have the button held down, you will get pulled along. It was mentioned on the forums that you can sort of exploit this to get your heavy guy drug along by a light and SD decided it was a fun thing and left it in.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Except for not needing a copy of the game it seems pretty standard. And nice. Dedicated servers are always nice.

No option for changing or disabling xp, though?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In like a week, everyone will have a couple max XP characters. I doubt it will be a huge issue.

Edit: Also swear to god if I hear another person whining about Console Something Something I will be pretty mad. It's one thing to hate on a game that has "Push A to Start" and no mouse UI because it dropped a year late on PC as an afterthought but to rag on them for publishing and demoing on consoles, because consoles are a lucrative market, is just annoying.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    you will get pulled along. It was mentioned on the forums that you can sort of exploit this to get your heavy guy drug along by a light and SD decided it was a fun thing and left it in.

Oh sweet jesus, anyone know if Amish is going to be getting Brink? Because if he is he needs to make a heavy and dress it as a Mennonite and have someone drag him around.

iRevert on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    And it mentions the "surfing" thing one of the devs teased months ago. Basically, if you go to buff a guy, and you can't quite reach, you will be pulled towards him. If that guy starts running, you will catch a ride. You can let go of the button at any time to cancel, but while you have the button held down, you will get pulled along. It was mentioned on the forums that you can sort of exploit this to get your heavy guy drug along by a light and SD decided it was a fun thing and left it in.

So you can "draft" in Brink.

lol

Also sliding knocks down enemies? Awesome. I predict a lot of slide battles in the future :lol:

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So that specialization in classes is a disappointment for me. What if your team has too many medics or engineers, but if you become a soldier you have only basic abilities? Not being able to change boy type is acceptable, but this just sounds like a load of ass.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hooray for pre-loading, too.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Also sliding knocks down enemies? Awesome. I predict a lot of slide battles in the future :lol:

Be warned though, if you both slide kick each other at the same time it triggers a "nutshot penalty" which stuns both of you for an extended period of time where you both roll around in the fetal position for fifteen seconds or till a medic throws you an ice pack [unlockable medic ability]

iRevert on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    iRevert wrote: »

Be warned though, if you both slide kick each other at the same time it triggers a "nutshot penalty" which stuns both of you for an extended period of time where you both roll around in the fetal position for fifteen seconds or till a medic throws you an ice pack [unlockable medic ability]

I can't wait to see a light guy try this against my heavy.

And slide right into my minigun.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.