As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weird feeling about a job interview.

DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is.In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, seeking a new direction in my career, I decided to put out my resume and start applying to things that sounded interesting. I already have a job that pays the bills, so I'm wasn't searching too hard, but I have just been fishing around on careerbuilder.com for a few months to see what hooks.

On a whim, I sent my resume to what sounded like an interesting entry-level account manager position at what appears to be a brand/design/marketing firm. Eh, I thought. The listing said they required a sense of humor, which of course I have in spades. So I applied and thought nothing of it.

I received a call the very next day about how they were very interested in my resume. The resume of a p.e. teacher, with absolutely no background in marketing, branding or design.

This, in a terribly shitty job market (for careers, anyway), took me back a second. I have an interview next week, but I'm getting a weird feeling about this.

An account manager position, something I am hilariously underqualified for, and they are excited about a p.e. teacher's resume. Possibly the exact opposite of account manager. If you want to see the website, pm me, but it weirds me out too. A lot of stock photos and a rather vague description of what they actually do. And I can't find anything else about them anywhere on Google.

Is this...is this standard procedure for a marketing firm? No list of clients on their website, no actual photos. Calling hugely underqualified individuals for what sounds like a rather important position?

I dunno, am I being paranoid? Just feels weird to me. My teaching career has made me pretty good at sifting through bullshit, and I'm just getting all kinds of red flags here.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
xbl - HowYouGetAnts
steam - WeAreAllGeth
Deadfall on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    While I totally get what you're saying about the website, and this is just a suggestion, but you might want to edit out that link. The thing is, especially if nothing comes on on google, now this thread probably will.

At the very least, I'll ask you to edit out the link when you feel you have sufficient feedback on it.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Roger dodger. I worded the post carefully so as not to type the company, but I forgot about that.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PM me the link and I'll have a look at it.

Usually, scams involving fake jobs are pretty obvious. From what you said, this seems a little fishy, but the fact that they're actually calling you for an in-person interview weighs against it being a scam. Usually, scammers don't put in that much effort, unless they think they can shake someone down for a lot of money. And how much money could they think a P.E. teacher has?

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I don't know. Doesn't feel like a scam. I mean, I know exactly where this building is (in a pretty expensive tech center area). It just feels so.....generic? I guess. I mean, the last time I applied for a marketing position before my current job and I went in for an "interview," six of us were literally ferried by van to a shopping mall parking lot, handed a stack of fliers and were told to start putting them on cars. I was not amused.

Also a buddy of mine was recently hired by a more well-known media design firm downtown, and their website is absolutely plastered with recent news and client successes and all that.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I get what you're saying. Something does seem pretty off about that website - the stock images, the incredibly vague descriptions, etc. Also, the quality of the writing on the site isn't great. The tone is kind of awkward and overly formal.

I don't know. If I had to guess, and this is just a guess, they'll offer you a job, and you'll find out that it entails churning out as many crappy articles as possible, written about popular search terms. Basically, an SEO sweatshop.

That's just a hunch, though. It doesn't explain why they would have a physical location. And click on the image underneath "Partners." It links to an identical site, with "marketing" replaced with "consulting." I'm not sure what that means, but it doesn't say anything good.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not going to quote it verbatim because, you know, search engines and stuff, but the last paragraph on their Services page basically screams "we're all about making you sell shit to your friends and family!" to me. In fact, every other sentence on that entire page is about personal connections and relationships and interacting with people.

Their domain was registered five months ago, and when I googled the name of the domain's owner, the first result was someone posting in a "what's the worst job you ever had?" thread saying they worked for the company selling office supplies door to door, and the second result was a more detailed description of what sounded like the same thing on ripoffreport.com.

Basically: it's a borderline scammy direct sales company that makes money for a handful of people at the top by hiring newcomers, charging them training fees, sending them out to sell shit in areas that have already been canvassed, then on the off chance that they *do* manage to drum up some sales, they just find excuses to avoid paying them until they give up and quit.

Don't take my word for it, though - look up the domain registry information yourself on whois.org, then sniff around for yourself. Finding information about potential employers is a useful life skill.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Do a google search for the name of the company, with "marketing" replaced with "consulting," along with the word "scam."

The first few results will tell you everything you need to know.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think if you do go to the interview it will become painfully clear that it's a scam. At the point where they ask you if you're willing to pay them for training/initiation/uniform/clearance/etc. you'll know. And if it's a scam they'll most likely make you cough up some cash for some bullshit.
    The fact that you're already paranoid about it is a good thing.

minirhyder on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ahahaha, so Crossbuster found some good dirt on them, and I'm glad my gut was telling me something was up.
    Don't take my word for it, though - look up the domain registry information yourself on whois.org, then sniff around for yourself. Finding information about potential employers is a useful life skill.

Doing background research (on not only jobs but expensive purchases) is something I pride myself in, so not being able to find anything about them was what was bugging me. Now I know why.

Thanks all, this one can be closed.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "Account manager" is a job title that covers a lot of territory in ad/pr/brand/etc. Depending on what the job description actually is, maybe there's something in your resume that's a good fit. Maybe the hiring manager has a background in education. Could be anything.

An agency without any public portfolio is pretty suspect but not unheard of depending on what they work on.

It's worth noting that even if "account manager" means something more like "salespereson" at this company, doesn't mean it's a scam per se. Could wind up being a legit sales position driving a booth at the mall or something. No way to know unless you do the interview.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
This discussion has been closed.