As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Desire to Play A Magic Style Game

Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen"Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Don't let the title be completely deceiving. Basically I'm bored and am looking for a good game that isn't the Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls series that has combat elements that include magic. I tried playing Gothic II, but its just not working very well. Any suggestions for a good RPG or just game in general that has a magic system placed within the combat system?

Waffles or whatever on

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Umm. It might help if you put some context to the kind of game you're looking for, as you can't throw a stone without finding "Sorcery" attached to "Sword" in video games. In fact, it's far more difficult to find a game that doesn't have magic in it (like Mount and Blade or The Guild). Are the vetoes there for Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls because you don't like them? Or because you've played through them already? Are you looking for something intricate (mixing up magical elements to produce unique spells, alchemy crafting systems) or something simple (individual spells in spellbars, mana bars, hackyslashy)?

The title really suggests that you want a game that's like Magic: the Gathering, by the way. :D

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I recently just played through those games again. While Dragon Age II was fun the first play through, my second run isn't as fun. I also recently played Morrowind again and I'm not really in a mood for it. Oblivion was just cancer and I can't find any replay value in it at all.

For game play wise, ehh I'll try anything new at this point. I just want a good fun RPG or hack and slash that includes magical elements into the game play. Gothic II just fails to hit that bill because it's magic system was horribly implemented into the game.

Waffles or whatever on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Magicka is pretty awesome. You have 8 elements and you combine them in different ways to cast different spells. No mana or anything, you can cast spells pretty much as fast as you can click them.

Lemming on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lemming wrote: »
    Magicka is pretty awesome. You have 8 elements and you combine them in different ways to cast different spells. No mana or anything, you can cast spells pretty much as fast as you can click them.

Yeah I'll second Magicka. Having a lot of fun with it and it's cheap too! Tons of pop culture references thrown in and some fun and frustrating co-op make it worth owning.

DekuStick on
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'll give it a try. I'll still take more references to really awesome games though. :D

Waffles or whatever on
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Torchlight? It's a Diablo clone that's really good.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Make sure you get the Demo of Magicka first. It doesn't play well on a lot of PCs, for some reason.

EDIT: You could try Two Worlds II. It's similar to Oblivion and Morrowind, but with a more dynamic combat system.

The Witcher is typically mentioned in these type of threads. I can definitely recommend it.

I can highly recommend any of the Drakensang titles. They are the most recent computerized versions of Der Schwartze Auge (sp?), Germany's most popular Pen and Paper RPG. They look similar to Dragon Age: Origins, although the playstyle is more similar to Neverwinter Nights 2.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You can go check out gog.com, they have all the classic d&d RPG's plus more. Tons of great games there for cheap, and most hold up pretty well with a few mods installed.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Two Worlds II has an awesome magic system. The game is pretty good, too.

Sir Carcass on
    edited April 2011
    I'm playing Magicka right now. Oh my god, HOW DID I MISS THIS GAME? I ended up telling two of my buddies about it and we started playing it Co-Op. It took us an hour to leave the starting area after leaving your "Saving the World Party" because we simply had more fun blowing each other up than actually playing. I'll be playing this one for awhile.

I was told Two Worlds II was really good, but its not worth the ($40?) that it currently is on Steam. I was gonna wait for it to drop in price.

Waffles or whatever on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dark Messiah is a possibility, as there is the potential to do some really cool stuff with magic in that game, but eventually you'll just say screw it and kick everyone into conveniently placed spikes.

Peccavi on
  • RaernRaern Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Depends how magicky you like your magic, but one of my favorite RPGs for its magic system is Arx Fatalis. You can find it on gog.com if you wanted to try it. The magic system requires you to draw runes on screen to get spell effects, examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LueGiUasvFk

Raern on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you liked Dragon Age I, then the PC Baldur's Gate series is likely to please you, especially the second one.

LockedOnTarget on