As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

From Comic Con to PAX

BrenderousBrenderous Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in PAX Archive
I'm planning on going to my first PAX this year in Seattle, and I want my girlfriend to come too. The problem is, she isn't really into games. She thinks they're cool but she doesn't play them all that much. She likes going to comic-con type stuff however, because she enjoys looking at art and comics.

I'm wondering if someone who would enjoy something like comic-con would also have a good time at PAX, or if they would be at a loss of stuff to look at. Not that being at PAX wouldn't be an awesome experience in itself. Is there any sort of comicy arty type stuff at PAX?

Brenderous on

Posts

  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I find that comic and video game conventions are just as much about the culture of the people present as they are about the subject matter. For instance, I'm not terribly into comics, but I worked at Emerald City Comicon this year because I love the culture present ("my people," so to speak), then I went to PAX.

    That being said, PAX has a couple panels that focus on the arts and there are occasionally an Exhibitor with comics and such, but it's really not the focus of PAX. That being said, I still think it's a good idea to double.

    dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • BrenderousBrenderous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Those are wise words.

    I'm pretty sure she'll have a good time, if she wants to go that is:P

    Brenderous on
  • LairdLaird Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If your girlfriend likes comic con(be it calgarys, edmontons, seattles, or San Diego's.) she will love pax. The only difference is the people dressed up are as video game characters instead of comic characters. You might wish to introduce her to some comics based on video games as bridge to convincing her she might enjoy PAX. Also simply ask her "Do you like space channel, and everything on it?" if she replies "yes" even remotely, she will find alittle of everything to enjoy at PAX then.

    Laird on
  • BrenderousBrenderous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Laird wrote: »
    If your girlfriend likes comic con(be it calgarys, edmontons, seattles, or San Diego's.) she will love pax. The only difference is the people dressed up are as video game characters instead of comic characters. You might wish to introduce her to some comics based on video games as bridge to convincing her she might enjoy PAX. Also simply ask her "Do you like space channel, and everything on it?" if she replies "yes" even remotely, she will find alittle of everything to enjoy at PAX then.

    This is also true. We've gone to Calgary and Edmonton's cons a bunch.

    also: whoa! A fellow Canadian. Are there many of us on the Penny Arcade forums?

    Brenderous on
  • _Cowsvils__Cowsvils_ Registered User
    edited March 2011
    I'ma pitch in a slightly different viewpoint and say it's questionable. The cultures are certainly similar, but I tried to go the other way (PAX to NYCC) and I found myself terribly bored by the comic convention. If she's down to just geek out and experience generally nerdy things for 3 days then she'll almost assuredly enjoy PAX; however, if she goes to comic-cons specifically to see comics then it might be a bit more dicey.

    _Cowsvils_ on
  • rkenshinrkenshin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm Canadian too!

    Though I'm the opposite here.. Going to San Diego Comic Con for the first time in July then the 3rd PAX Prime trip in August.

    Going to be a pricey two months of fun!

    rkenshin on
  • DeciusDecius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Brenderous wrote: »
    Laird wrote: »
    If your girlfriend likes comic con(be it calgarys, edmontons, seattles, or San Diego's.) she will love pax. The only difference is the people dressed up are as video game characters instead of comic characters. You might wish to introduce her to some comics based on video games as bridge to convincing her she might enjoy PAX. Also simply ask her "Do you like space channel, and everything on it?" if she replies "yes" even remotely, she will find alittle of everything to enjoy at PAX then.

    This is also true. We've gone to Calgary and Edmonton's cons a bunch.

    also: whoa! A fellow Canadian. Are there many of us on the Penny Arcade forums?

    There's a lot of us. Also DUDE! Another Edmontonian!

    Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • LairdLaird Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    rkenshin wrote: »
    I'm Canadian too!

    Though I'm the opposite here.. Going to San Diego Comic Con for the first time in July then the 3rd PAX Prime trip in August.

    Going to be a pricey two months of fun!

    Lemme just tell ya from experince, if you think you are prepared for crowds, buying stuff, smells of lots of people lumped together, cosplayers(350lb man in sailor moon outfit.*facepalmsadface*) and panels since you have PAX experince. Forget that right now! SDCC on average has 125,000 in the convention hall at any given time, and it spikes to some 200,000 on like Friday/Saturday.

    Laird on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Games are only part of the experience at PAX.

    Get her to watch some of the PATV stuff (Blamimations, The Series) and get her reading the comic in the interim between now and August. If she likes that sort of stuff, she'll probably enjoy the panels. Shit, even if she doesn't like it, she'll probably get a kick out of them.

    Just because she's not that much into games, that doesn't mean she won't enjoy the expo hall; it's worth seeing once, and wandering around for a bit, along with sampling some of the games on display and talking to the exhibitors (Rooster Teeth, Mega64, etcetera) is a fun time as well.

    All of that takes a back seat to the community though; there's a good chance that she could just strike up a random conversation with anybody she meets, about comics or anything else, and they, or somebody in the crowd, will probably respond, which is the best part of PAX; everybody there has these shared experiences, virtual or otherwise, so you can just talk to them, without having to worry about any awkward moments. It's worth going just to hang out with the people at the convention, which can best be described as meeting the 59,999 friends you never knew you had.

    TL;DR: If she likes Comic Con, she'll probably like PAX.

    Also, Laird, Final says hi.

    If you are indeed the Laird that I think you are.

    If not, I am a crazy person, please ignore me.

    Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • BrenderousBrenderous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'll probably show her some of The Series and see if she's into it. She'll probably want to go anyway, since it'd be a weekend of geeking out and vacation.

    Brenderous on
  • CrabblesCrabbles Registered User
    edited April 2011
    My wife comes with me every year and has a great time with it. She has really enjoyed the panels (like last year's panel on raising geek children), the "Of Dice and Men play, and trying out new board games. But really, I suspect a lot of the appeal is simply to immerse yourself in geek culture.

    Crabbles on
  • EmerezEmerez Registered User
    edited April 2011
    I'm sure she would be surprised to see how many 'normal' girl geeks there are in the crowd. Aside from games, there are a LOT of other things going on she can be interested in.

    -panels
    -anime booths
    -tabletop play
    -an excuse to vacation around in Seattle, hello?!

    Emerez on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The types of cons are all very different from one another, in terms of what there is to do and what kind of people go. The venn diagrams for comic book nerds and video game nerds tend to have a lot of overlap, but I don't think the offerings at the conventions do.

    For example: I'm not a comic book nerd, but I went to Wondercon. I had a good time, but that was mostly because I was with friends. If I had gone by myself or wandered off by myself, I really would have been wandering around looking at a bunch of stuff I didn't really know about and wasn't that interested in. If someone is a comic book nerd but not a video game nerd, I imagine they might have a similar experience at PAX.

    I don't think she'd have a -bad- time, necessarily, but I do think she might be a little lost and bored. Some people just aren't into games, and this is primarily a convention about playing games.

    Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • EmerezEmerez Registered User
    edited April 2011
    Arco wrote: »
    I don't think she'd have a -bad- time, necessarily, but I do think she might be a little lost and bored. Some people just aren't into games, and this is primarily a convention about playing games.

    There is a good chance she may not know she likes games, or enjoys casual games like dice/card/board games. In any case, its a pretty friendly environment for her to experiment and find out. :)

    Emerez on
Sign In or Register to comment.