As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me resolve an audio issue with Mumble

Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I have used ventrilo happily for a number of years. Recently it seems like lots of folks are switching to mumble for their voicechat needs, but I'm having trouble with it. I suspect this question has an easy answer, but I can't figure it out myself and the circumstances are strange enough that searching hasn't been a big help.

Anyway. I'm using onboard sound; the tower has two 1/8 headset jacks in the back, output and input. I also have a single 1/8 jack on the front of the tower, output only. My headset mic works fine in ventrilo plugged into the rear jacks. Under mumble, it doesn't work at all. No input or output works, not even program sounds (i.e. config.) If I plug headphones into the jack on the front of the tower I can listen, but as there is no input there I'm unable to talk.

The wacky part is that if there's something (headphones) plugged about halfway into the front jack, suddenly the headset plugged into the rear input/output jacks works just fine. This has been my workaround so far, but it's kind of annoying as whatever's plugged into the front is prone to slipping out.

I assume this is a problem with an obvious fix but I don't know enough about computer sound to fix it myself. This is under updated winxp, if that matters.

NREqxl5.jpg
it was the smallest on the list but
Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
Eat it You Nasty Pig. on

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I forgot to ask you last time this happened--what is the Output Device set to? Default Device, or something else (possibly a RealTek thang)?

e: Additionally, there's a new version that may, while being a long shot, help.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I've mucked around with my settings a fair amount. Options for output device include "Default Directsound Voice Output' and 'SoudMax Digital Audio,' and neither one seems to work.

I'll give the new version a shot whenever I get a chance.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget