As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel's Street Heroes - Constant Gang Warfare, Itty Bitty Island.

BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Graphic Violence
Well we have been using The Avengers thread for some of this talk but there are a whole bunch of fantastic Street-Level Marvel books that either just started or launch in the coming months. Talk about em here!
MOON KNIGHT
1303864950.jpg
BENDIS AND MALEEV - MAY 4TH

Promised to be in the tradition of Bendis' landmark Daredevil run, the new Moon Knight book is a completely new direction for Marc Spector. Relocating to LA, he uses his history as Moon Knight to launch a hit TV Show 'Legends of the Khonshu' to fund his crimefighting crusade. Finally at peace with his mental illness, Spector has embraced the three newest personalities in his head: namely ones that mimic Spider-Man, Wolverine and Captain America. While he is unable to control when a personality asserts itself, Marc will attempt to use the multiple heroes inside his head to be a better superhero than he has ever before.
PUNISHER
1300471016.jpg

RUCKA AND CHECETTO - AUGUST

Greg Rucka returns Frank Castle to his grim vigilante roots, with a clear mission statement. Rucka's Punisher will be completely sane, he is simply a soldier on a mission and will do anything within his power to complete it. This Punisher will be firmly entrenched within the Marvel Universe, forcing Frank to find a middle ground between high and low profile killings to avoid drawing the attention of superheroes.
DAREDEVIL
DD001_cov_col.jpg

WAID, RIVERA AND MARTIN - JULY

Daredevil has been at rock bottom for about 25 years now, Mark Waid hopes to change that. In the wake of Matt Murdock's betrayal of pretty much everyone he knows in Shadowland, Waid will bring him back to his Swashbuckling roots. Matt Murdock will be happier and funnier than he has been in decades which of course freaks out everyone else. While still mature and dark, the stories will be more in the vein of a superhero book over depressing crime drama.
HERC
1298316344.jpg
PAK, VAN LENTE AND EDWARDS

Hercules is mortal, for the first time in thousands of years. Taking it in stride, he has moved into Brooklyn after answering mysterious prayers to fight a gang of Ares' worshiping nutbags named the Warhawks. He is armed with Ares' abandoned armory, with each unique piece of equipment tying directly into mythology.
HEROES FOR HIRE
HFHV2005_cvr.jpg
ABNETT, LANNING AND ATKINS

Misty Knight's new Heroes for Hire follows a massive rotating ensemble cast (everyone from Gargoyle to Spider-Man), with Misty and Paladin forming the core of the operation. After recovering from Puppet Master's control, Misty continues H4H, acting as a mission control for various heroes to team-up and take down crime, offering intel and cash as payment.
BLACK PANTHER
BLAPMWF521_cvr.jpg
LISS AND FRANCAVILLA

In all honesty, this is a poor version of Christopher Priest's run, with very pretty art. American Panther looks mildly racist but hey follow it if you want.
GHOST RIDER
GHOSTRV3001_COV_col.jpg
WILLIAMS AND CLARK - JUNE

Dovetailing out of Aaron's landmark run, Rob Williams' Ghost Rider follows Johnny Blaze in a quest to rid himself of the Spirit of Vengeance once and for all. However, if he finally can cleanse himself of the angelic spirit where will it go? Is Blaze ready to handle placing the curse of the Ghost Rider on some random innocent?

This is probably my last thread for a bit. Been making a ton lately.

CYpGAPn.png
BlankZoe on

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What is Iron Fist up to these days?

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    He's in Power Man and Iron Fist by FVL, which is a really fun mini in the same tone of classic 70s Marvel. Lots of subplots and constant action and dialogue.

Also in New Avengers, where Bendis apparently has plans for him to become buddies with Dr. Strange and Wolverine.

He was in Heroes for Hire, but won't be a fixture of the cast.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Looking forward to the Moon Knight, Punisher and Daredevil relaunches.

I like Heroes for Hire and Herc's new book.

I'll probably pick Ghost Rider up, but I won't bother with American Panther unless I hear good things. The first two issues of Man Without Fear were boring and I don't hear good things concerning the new book.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited April 2011
    The Ghost Rider back-ups in the last two issues of ASM are by Williams.

His Spidey banter is a little over the top but he seems to get Johnny Blaze very well. The first time we see him he's Ridered up at a bar.

"Get me a drink."
    "W-what do you want?"
    "Human blood."
    D:
    "Kidding. Whiskey. Neat."

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, those backups have me convinced to at least get a couple issues of it. Hopefully it turns out well.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just finished the first two Remender Punisher hardcovers, it was some good stuff, looking forward to the Frankencastle hardcover. Henry was/is a nice supporting character, and Spider-Man making out with a Doc Ock arm is what the punk deserves.

Also, the best puns, the best.

TexiKen on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, that Ghost Rider, so street level. I can really relate to his problems of having a burning skeleton face and demon powers.

MastaP on
    edited April 2011
    MastaP wrote: »
    Oh, that Ghost Rider, so street level. I can really relate to his problems of having a burning skeleton face and demon powers.
    Why don't you relate to the former god or the blind gymnast lawyer instead

Ghost Rider's always been a part of Marvel's street heroes, thats why he was in Shadowland.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am definitely excited for Rucka Punisher and Waid Daredevil. I guess I see the appeal in the Bendis Moon Knight series, but I dunno, I thought his Daredevil run was pretty overrated.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ghost Rider is street level because he drives on the street honk honk.

And there's no real magic marvel right now, so he's got to go somewhere.

TexiKen on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really don't give a rip about Moon Knight, but a Bendis/Maleev reunion on the book might be enough to garner some interest. I just hope they have plans to stay on the book for a while. Bendis is so high-profile now that I'm afraid he might move on to something else after just a few arcs.

Is there any info on where the Waid Daredevil is gonna pick up? Will it be a number one, or is it gonna go back on the current numbering system, which is staring Black Panther at the moment?

Rucka on Punisher... does that mean he's gone from DC? Or is he freelance now? I wouldn't mind reading some Punisher stuff by him, but he has so much good DC stuff that it will be weird reading him on a non-Gotham book. I mean, Rucka has given us some of the best Bat family books over the years. Will be very strange to read him on a book as starkly different as Punisher is.

Lucascraft on
    edited April 2011
    Bendis has no plans to leave Moon Knight, like I said: he's planning a Daredevil-esque epic. Daredevil will be a new number 1 and Rucka has been freelance for a while now.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm really looking foreward to Moon Knight, as my sig and avatar make plain. Bendis seems like he's going to be doing some really interesting things with the character. Ghost Rider too is probably something I'll be adding to my pull.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That Punisher synopsis sounds a lot better than an interview I read a couple of weeks back from which I remember the quote "You may see the Punisher interacting with some heroes and villains from the Marvel Universe", whoopty-fucking-do.

With that, and Moon Knight sounding like it was gonna end up gimmicky, I was losing hope for this new run of street hero series. But the more I hear now the more it seems like a breathe of fresh air for titles that were really starting to stagnate. Go team.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited April 2011
    I went through the CBR interviews and picked out the choice bits in my own words.

I remember Rucka basically saying "Daredevil will probably show up sometime but the Avengers ain't gonna be in this"

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited April 2011
    New Moon Knight Preview

Jesus christ Marc is crazy

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited April 2011
    I really hope ol' Moon Knight is just as crazy as that's leading you to believe. If so this series just got a lot more interesting. No where near as 'Taskmastery' as I thought it was going to be. Like, at all.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Bendis has said he is embracing his insanity

so I am fully expecting him to realize that
    Cap, Wolverine and Spidey aren't real but he just doesn't care.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited April 2011
    Moon Knight: The gritty hero with a firm grip on your trachea and no grip on reality!

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm continuously surprised by how many street-level heroes are based in New York. How much work can they really get in a place with such low crime rates? Now, St. Louis would work. That place is a murder factory. Of course, the least safe million+ city is Philadelphia.

Bagginses on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am not really looking forward to Ghost Rider, American Panther and Herc, but the rest of those books I will certainly be buying.

Solar on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm interested in Punisher. I wonder what Rucka will do with him. Remender did some whacky things, which I loved, but he also raised a good point-- the 616 version of Punisher shouldn't be the same as Max Punisher. Fraction and Remender both did that I guess.

I wish Punisher would go to a different city and stay there. You run into troubles with believability if you have all of these heroes opposed to lethal force in same city as a guy who sometimes kills 44 people in 22 pages.

DouglasDanger on
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm interested in Punisher. I wonder what Rucka will do with him. Remender did some whacky things, which I loved, but he also raised a good point-- the 616 version of Punisher shouldn't be the same as Max Punisher. Fraction and Remender both did that I guess.

I wish Punisher would go to a different city and stay there. You run into troubles with believability if you have all of these heroes opposed to lethal force in same city as a guy who sometimes kills 44 people in 22 pages.

I'm not even sure someone like him could keep it up anywhere in the US. They need to send him to Guatemala City, Grozny, Kinshasa, or Cape Town.

Bagginses on
    edited April 2011
    It seems like Marvel is starting to realize they need to spread the wealth, superhero wise. Moon Knight is the vanguard of a new movement West apparently, Thor and Iron Man live in Oklahoma, the X-Men are off the coast of San Fransisco.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just want to see Punisher road-trip across America in his Battle Van, actively seeking out and murdering the worst people in each town he comes across, before moving onto the next.

Also, I liked the first issue of Herc, but if I can be a nitpicky nerd for a bit, that's a really uninspired title. I get that it sells the idea he's no longer The Incredible Hercules, and just a normal, mortal dude. But, it's a bit like if War Machine's book was relaunched under the title, "Jim."

Munch on
    edited April 2011
    I agree.

it should be Hercules, not Herc. Drop The Incredible

Or 'The Labors of Hercules

that would be nice

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited April 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »

I'm not even sure someone like him could keep it up anywhere in the US. They need to send him to Guatemala City, Grozny, Kinshasa, or Cape Town.

Marvel Comics 616 reality is inspired by, but not intended to be the same as, our reality.

I'm getting off-topic, but I hope Remender gets to be a big deal like Bendis some day. He has neat ideas. I thought the same thing about Fraction, but I'm not so sure. Remender changed things with the Punisher, he had him stealing from the Avengers, using ray guns and Pym particles and joining the Legion of Monsters and stuff.

I'm worried that Rucka will have the Punisher go back to the same old thing.

DouglasDanger on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The direction for Punisher and Daredevil both sound interesting, but the rest... meh.

Seeing a Punisher who actually tries to think a little will be neat, and a happy Daredevil? Too strange not to at least peek at.

Caveman Paws on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Happy Daredevil is the best.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Seriously

Happy Daredevil is a boss

fuckin modern day Errol Flynn

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    Happy DareDevil is 1602 DareDevil.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited May 2011
    I would buy trades of happy Daredevil.

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2011
    Gank wrote: »
    Happy DareDevil is 1602 DareDevil.
    Yes!

And 1602 Daredevil is the second best 1602 character

(The first is Nicholas Fury)

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    I would buy trades of happy Daredevil.

buy all the issues of ann nocenti's run!

happy daredevil all over the place!

and blank that is unfair

Nick Fury is the best character in every universe

Even the ones he doesn't show up in

You just know he is off somewhere, being a boss

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited May 2011
    but he was super badass in 1602

like more than the typical ammount

god that fight scene with Doom's assassin

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    Speaking of Street heroes

Still kinda miffed no one has ever done a mini of Iron Man and Iron Fist

They got a lot in common

And, even if they don't fight each other

The Immortal Iron Fist vs The Invincible Iron Man just SOUNDS like a baller kung fu movie

Someone make this happen or I will do it myself

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm sure it will get talked about in the motw thread, but Moonknight #1 was pretty good.

Anyone care to tell me a little about him? I honestly know nothing at all about this character, other than that he has a pretty cool looking costume.

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2011
    The little tv show origin was a pretty slick way of introducing him. He was a mercenary who was hired to protect an expedition in Egypt, got betrayed and ended up being resurrected by Khonshu, the Egyptian god of the moon and vengeance. Or so he says, Marc is pretty damn nuts and has multiple personalities so he could just be lying.

That is all you really need to know.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's basically it, Marc pretty clearly crazy but in the stories there has always been hints that Moon Knight is actually blessed by Khonsu, which is a funky little dichotomy which takes him away from being Batman in a white suit.

Bendis is moving away from that and focusing on the repercussions of him actually being crazy though, because the Actually Chosen/Psycho thing has been done a lot now. Which I agree with.

Solar on
    edited May 2011
    I really liked Moon Knight.

First off the art was gorgeous.

and I like Bendis' Marc Spector. He is a bit funny, but mostly serious. I am happy Bendis resisted temptation to give him another Bendisspeak voice.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png