As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scroll [Buttoneers] so good, like the butter on a muffin (Discount GET!)

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    contrefait wrote: »
    Decius wrote: »
    Takkyu! Dude!

Also who did you use for buttons? These US companies want $Rape for shipping to Canada.

This is why you have it shipped to someone you know in the US who is nice.

I could also do that (did it with my trading cards), but I want to support local business if possible. Jingoism ftw :lol:.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Enigmas wrote: »
    Snickers wrote: »
    I am, as always, almost CERTAINLY in for buttons, for yet another year! No real button ideas yet, but I'm keeping a watchful eye out for anything that might pique my interest!

I have a magnet of Mr. T advertising for 1-800-Collect (remember!) from college saying 'Call your Mother'. It will always have a hallowed place on my fridge, and your button is a fine companion. It was even a favorite among my gaming group last year.

Daww, awesome :D Mr T makes the best buttons XD

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I've been trying to figure out what the best way to top my companion cube button from a few years ago which everyone seemed to like.

Solution? Another Portal reference.

parabola on
  • Options
    just1legendjust1legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well here is my avatar button. Tell me what do you think?
    mylegend.jpg

just1legend on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You thinking of a Wheatly button? That'd be pretty neat...If you wanted to go ALL out and insane, you could make a replica of the TF2 button, but that'd be bloody difficult.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    You thinking of a Wheatly button? That'd be pretty neat...If you wanted to go ALL out and insane, you could make a replica of the TF2 button, but that'd be bloody difficult.

CLOSE! Not wheatley... My button will be kind of spoilerific, but by then everyone should have beat the game.

parabola on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ahh, I think I know what you mean, and that's awesome :-D I need to think up some good ones...have an idea for a few big fancy ones that light up, if I have the time to do it.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm in! This year maybe I'll order them sooner than 2 weeks before Prime.

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • Options
    Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Buttons... You say... There will be........ BUTTONS?!!! Do I like pins, VThornheart? Would you hypothesize that I have a love for them that leans toward the unnatural? Buttons there shall be.

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    DannicusDannicus [E] Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I saw people handing out buttons last year, I even traded a few buttons away that people saw and begged me for.

This year I am hoping to Enforce, however either way, I plan to have a button for trade. My roommate is a pretty incredible artist. I've just strong armed him into agreeing to drawing up a design for my maiden voyage into button trading.

Now to come up with an idea.

EDIT: I realized that i never picked an Avatar....hmmmmm maybe the button should have a Danger Mouse theme. Here's two options. Thoughts?

Option 1:
    16hud7o.jpg

Option 2:
    mvjkv6.jpg

Dannicus on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wanna make a Wheatley (Portal 2's robot companion) button! Has anyone else already called dibs on this idea?

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    RisiaRisia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I actually made a button this year!
    smallrisiabutton.jpg

Risia on
  • Options
    YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    alegria wrote: »
    I think I'm going to use a photo of one of my dogs. :) I know most people design/draw their logos, but I don't have the talent/software to do that...maybe a cute border collie is an acceptable substitute? :)
    If you have a design in mind, someone might help you with it. Otherwise, there are many lovers of cute animals at PAX.

Yamara on
    We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • Options
    King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dannicus, Danger Mouse = WIN. Good to see someone else that remembers that show. 8-) The first one has a good color scheme but is kind of bland. On the second one, the background is good, but it has a lot of conflicting elements, and the colors (blue on top of red) are kind of jarring. Suggestion (if you're open to those kinds of things):
    Use the background from the second one, but add shadows to match the style of DM in the pic you're using, then center DM in the button. On the left side, have Dannicus follow the curve of the button, and on the right side the words PAX Prime 2011, also following the curve. Don't use the PAX logo, but use the same font for both; if you can find a font similar to the one used in the logo for the show, that would be even more awesome. This way you get to keep all the elements you're using, they're just laid out in a way that's more coherent.

I've probably gone overboard. Sorry about that. I know this isn't art class, but hey, you ask for thoughts, you get thoughts. :P
    Menolly07 wrote: »
    Rosebud is the sled. Keyser Söze is Roger "Verbal" Kint. Eddard Stark loses his head. The Titanic sank. Dumbledore dies. The falcon is a fake. Soylent Green is PEOPLE! It was Earth the whole time. It's to serve man as in make dinner. Vader is his Father. Tyler Durden is in his head. Leonard killed his own wife. Randal P. McMurphy is lobotimized.

Ever-so-slightly offtopic, you forgot one:
    She's a guy.

King of Mars on
    Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    She's a guy.
    yyyeeessssssss!!!!! Added!

And the Dangermouse button will be amazing. That sent me into an 80s cartoon nostalgispin. Highlighted by Jem and Inspector Gadget.

I'll probably be using the graphic I made for our gaming group. I used it on the Trading Cards for East.

Menolly07 on
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    She's a guy.
    yyyeeessssssss!!!!! Added!

WIN! :D

Here's mine, spoilered for huge (600x600). Square buttons ftw! :D
    f36ywp.jpg

King of Mars on
    twitter //
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    King of Mars, I have to ask: Is your avatar an intentional homage to 30 Seconds to Mars and their symbols?

Menolly07 on
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ok, gonna rack my brain and come up with something old school.....with my luck only the 'over 38 crowd' will even understand what it is....tough to get a great idea that my actualy be recognized...

Rayman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    King of Mars, I have to ask: Is your avatar an intentional homage to 30 Seconds to Mars and their symbols?

No, the name is a song by Monster Magnet (which, in turn, was a reference to someone or something else, but I can't remember for the life of me what that was), and the avatar was originally something I put together in F-Zero GX's emblem editor a looooong time ago.

King of Mars on
    twitter //
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I took your advice, I cleaned up the second version a bit, and I think I found a winner. Check it out.
    24y74t5.jpg

I think it's a bad thing I am so into the button idea...I may just have to do a bonus button now too.

Dannicus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That is awesome. Good job. :D

King of Mars on
    twitter //
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The only thing I am worried about is that the lettering is a bit to close to the edge. If It is not outside the dotted line should I be alright?

Also, I've got my bonus button idea, and I am pretty excited to see if I can get it to turn out.

Dannicus on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Squee! A Danger Mouse button! Happiness!

...Now if someone can do Batfink...

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dannicus wrote: »
    The only thing I am worried about is that the lettering is a bit to close to the edge. If It is not outside the dotted line should I be alright?

Also, I've got my bonus button idea, and I am pretty excited to see if I can get it to turn out.

Everything within the dotted line is guaranteed to be on the face of your button, and generally is on the "flatter" part of the face. There's still a nice margin between the dotted line and the actual "edge" of your button where everything start to really curve away.

On a different note, since I can't attend this year (gotta be responsible adult and save for that house down-payment), anyone want to distribute my buttons on my behalf?

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hmm..what program are you using to edit your buttons? I've been trying to use GIMP, but having some issues getting it to bend to my will.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hmm..what program are you using to edit your buttons? I've been trying to use GIMP, but having some issues getting it to bend to my will.

I used GIMP for mine. What are you trying to do?

King of Mars on
    twitter //
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I used to have a template for GIMP users, lemme see if I can find it.

Yep, here it is.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well now, I'm trying to make text go around in a circle, but unless there's a button that I'm missing, can't figure it out.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    TakkyuTakkyu Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    Decius wrote: »
    Takkyu! Dude!

Also who did you use for buttons? These US companies want $Rape for shipping to Canada.

Hey buddy, sorry I was away a few days... I went through a company called six cent press. $52.88 after shipping and tax for 100 buttons. Better than the 80+ I was looking at through PB :(

Takkyu on
  • Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well now, I'm trying to make text go around in a circle, but unless there's a button that I'm missing, can't figure it out.

I tried to do that too, it's awful hard to do in GIMP. You have to make a path in the shape you want the text with the path tool, then when you enter the text you click the "text along path" box. Problem is that it's hard to get it right, because you can't see how the text will align until it's applied, and you can't edit it after it's applied, which means you have to keep undoing and reentering it until it looks right. Kind of a pain.

You might try a demo version of photoshop, that might have more of an automated way to make curved text.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yah, I managed to get it to follow the path, but I was hoping that I was just doing it in the stupid hard way, and there was a button somewhere that would make it simple. I'll have to check out a demo of Photoshop or something.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I used photoshop for mine. It's a big ball of confusion unless you have a graphic artist roommate to show you. Now that I know how to do it, I feel dumb for not figuring it out on my own. :) If you decide to go the photoshop route, Adobe's help section is actually really good for step by step instructions. At least I thought so.

Dannicus on
  • Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've made my button design. I also made one for my husband and am waiting to hear back if he likes it or not. :)

alegria on
    Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    GyladiaGyladia Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This will be my second year at PAX and my first year trying to be more involved. I also love buttons. I'm in!

Edit: I've never made a button before so it's a little plain, but I wanted it to be a recognizable version of my avatar here.
    flattenedrose.jpg

Gyladia on
  • Options
    Brian4120Brian4120 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks to Yamara, I am in the button game once again!
    C5fbP.jpg

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have decided on the theme for my button, Full Throttle. Now to play it again so I can find a good scene to screen cap.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yay! Got a lovely EMail this morning from PureButtons stating my buttons and secret Pokemon-Themed bonus buttons were shipped out today! So esscited!

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Woohoo! Yamara is as always, the best ever <3

My button! In all it's delicious glory!
    snickers_cookies_2011_preview.png

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Must. Have. Snicker's buttons.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    lol =) Awesome!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095