As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I think my Motherboard is dead

KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Can anyone confirm?

When I turn on my PC, it doesn't show a post screen. There is no power on beep. The power LED doesn't turn on, but my fans still spin. There is no video on my monitor.

I unplugged my PC last night when a thunderstorm came through. It worked perfectly fine last night. There were no direct lightning strikes as far as I know, and my computer was unplugged when the storm rolled past. All I can figure is that my mobo spontaneously up and died. It's a little over a year old if memory serves.

mrsatansig.png
KrunkMcGrunk on

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sounds like mine when it died. Sorry, mate.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    First things first -- let's start easy: try a different outlet and/or cable if you have one.

If that doesn't fix it, take your computer in to your local repair shop and have them test your power supply. It could be that your power supply decided to give up the good fight and that's all that needs to be replaced. They can tell you in about 30 seconds if your PSU has failed and get you a new one in another 30 seconds, if you're capable of replacing it yourself; 30 minutes if you're not and they're not too backed up.

If it is your mobo, they'll be able to tell you that, too.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    First things first -- let's start easy: try a different outlet and/or cable if you have one.

If that doesn't fix it, take your computer in to your local repair shop and have them test your power supply. It could be that your power supply decided to give up the good fight and that's all that needs to be replaced. They can tell you in about 30 seconds if your PSU has failed and get you a new one in another 30 seconds, if you're capable of replacing it yourself; 30 minutes if you're not and they're not too backed up.

If it is your mobo, they'll be able to tell you that, too.

Good plan. I think I'll take my PC into Fry's and see what they can tell me.

I'm fairly certain it's a dead mobo though. I mean, wouldn't the fans and all that not spin if it were my PSU? Also, the fact that there's no beep when I turn on the PC, and the power LED not coming on. That all indicates mobo rather than PSU, right?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    OK, now my computer is working perfectly fine. I'm... perplexed.

I left it plugged into the wall all last night (it was off) as I normally do. As I said earlier, the night before there were storms, so I left in unplugged all night. That's literally the only thing that changed.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do you have an onboard video card?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    HurtdogHurtdog Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I left it plugged into the wall all last night (it was off) as I normally do. As I said earlier, the night before there were storms, so I left in unplugged all night. That's literally the only thing that changed.

This is an omen, it could mean one of your RAM sticks is about to die and if the computer does not have RAM in the right slots it won't even POST.

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »

I do, but I'm not using it.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hurtdog wrote: »

This is an omen, it could mean one of your RAM sticks is about to die and if the computer does not have RAM in the right slots it won't even POST.

If this happens again, I'll keep that in mind.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »

I do, but I'm not using it.

wouldn't matter

it's difficult to test since you can't purposely cause this problem, but if it happens again, try something for me:

unplug the power supply, turn it off, then hold down the computer's power button for several seconds

onboard video cards can derp out like that once in a while and produce exactly that same behavior

MrMonroe on