We're going to be adding some advertisements to the forums! If you notice any weirdness around this or spot bad/inappropriate ads, please make a thread in the bugs forum.

Best way to sell or be rid of a Gamecube and Original Xbox

shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm moving soon and doing some house cleaning. Part of that is getting rid of my gamecube and original xbox since I don't use them anymore and have a Wii and 360. Any ideas on the best way to get rid of them? Either some where to trade them in so I can get even a small amount or something else. I'm just not sure what to do with them and putting them on the curb seems so wasteful. Thanks!

Rich on Beer - I talk about drinking beer. You read about it.
shadowane on

• Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User
    edited April 2011
    Sell them on Craigslist. If you ask a reasonable amount for them (ie, not $50 for just a Gamecube), they'll sell pretty quickly, and cash in hand from a private sale is much better than credit at a store you're about to move away from.

Kate of Lokys on
    I'm here to tell you about voting. Imagine you're locked in a huge underground nightclub filled with sinners, whores, freaks and unnameable things that rape pit bulls for fun. And you ain't allowed out until you all vote on what you're going to do tonight [. . .] So you vote for television, and everyone else, as far as your eye can see, votes to fuck you with switchblades. That's voting. You're welcome.
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I couldn't even give my gamecube away on Craigslist 2 years ago.

Maybe you'll be lucky, but I'm recycling mine.

adytum on
    etxvv5.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do you have any games/controllers you can bundle with each system? Might make it easier to unload, since the games are pretty old at this point. I'd be more likely to pay $25 for a Gamecube, a couple controllers, and a handful of games than to pay $15-20 for the console alone and have to chase down the other parts I need.

KalTorak on
  • adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What's more likely is you can sell the controller and games individually for well over what you can bundle them for.

That's what I ended up doing, because every single response I got to my gamecube bundle was "How much for just the games / wavebird / controller."

All of the peripherals and games are forward compatible with the Wii, so nobody wants a gamecube.

adytum on
    etxvv5.jpg
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well if worst comes to worst just recycle it. That is if all your options are exhausted and you lose hope in ever selling it.
    I think Staples recycles most electronics. You probably won't get anything for it, but at least it's not going to end up in a landfill (hopefully).

minirhyder on
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User
    edited April 2011
    Man, maybe the St. Louis area is just weird or something, but older consoles get snapped up here within a day of being listed. If they come with a couple of decent games, they're usually gone by the time my fiance or I can even email about them.

It might be harder if you're trying to sell just the consoles, though.

Kate of Lokys on
    I'm here to tell you about voting. Imagine you're locked in a huge underground nightclub filled with sinners, whores, freaks and unnameable things that rape pit bulls for fun. And you ain't allowed out until you all vote on what you're going to do tonight [. . .] So you vote for television, and everyone else, as far as your eye can see, votes to fuck you with switchblades. That's voting. You're welcome.
  • EggyToastEggyToast Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I sold all my prev-gen systems a little over a year ago on eBay. A little work taking pictures and making listings, but I made a pretty penny doing so. I also was open to shipping them to Brazil.

I can look up how much they sold for, but I made significantly more selling on eBay than I would've selling on Craigslist. And when the auction was finished, the person paid -- much better than waiting around for someone to show up at home.

"Best" is a weird word for this -- the fastest way to get rid of old stuff is to recycle it, donate it, or trash it. The fastest way to sell something is to put it on Craigslist. The way to maximize your money is to research the market on eBay and sell accordingly.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do you have a Game Boy Player?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I traded my Game Cube, games, controllers, and my xbox controllers in to Amazon a few months ago. I probably made less than eBay or Craigslist, but it was done in one shot, free shipping, and I got an Amazon gift card which is good for nearly everything from new games to Cinnamon Toast Crunch. The only thing you need to provide is a box to send it in.

Continental_Op on
    XBL - TeenageHead
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    I couldn't even give my gamecube away on Craigslist 2 years ago.

Maybe you'll be lucky, but I'm recycling mine.

I had no trouble getting rid of mine in Seattle, less than a year ago. Sold it with no games, nothing but the cube and a controller (and the cables). I think I only got like $15 for it, though...but then, I made the guy come over the ferry to me to pick it up.

The only thing special about it is that it was one of the first-run consoles, that could still take the component cable. But I didn't have the component cable for it. I advertised it as such, but the guy didn't seem that interested in this aspect.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you put it on Craigslist, even as a "free to good home," somebody will probably take it.

Same with my Xbox, actually. Though it was modded, which may have increased its value (I got a bit more for it, too).

EDIT: Might have been $10, not $15, now that I think about it. All I remember is that I actually got multiple emails, and had no trouble unloading it.

mcdermott on
  • RobAnybodyRobAnybody Registered User
    edited May 2011
    I know here in Portland there are CDGameExchanges. They buy and sell almost all the old media crap you may have, and give you cashy-monies or store credit. It basically works like a Powell's for digital stuffs.

http://cdgameexchange.org/

I have seen them carry these systems many times in the past, in addition to the peripherals and games. There may even be equivalent types of stores near you. And hell, worse comes to worse you can always drop em off at a Goodwill?

RobAnybody on
    "When a man's hands are even with your head, his crotch is even with your teeth."
    -Ancient Dwarfish Proverb
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions. It looks like we'll try selling them on ebay and we'll see what happens. Unfortunately I'm trading all the games in to Amazon so it's just the systems with their wires and controllers, but oh well.

shadowane on
    Rich on Beer - I talk about drinking beer. You read about it.