As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FF] The Heroes formerly known as the Fantastic Four

• GankGank Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Speaking of the next issue...
    ffv2002001col.jpg (Click pic for full preview)
    Please let Thing wail on Doom. Just a little. I mean Doom once used his body to threaten Reed with breaking Johnny in half. Pleeeeease let him just land one good hit.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Art preview for FF 3

Hahahaha Reed you beautiful bastard
    He is really getting the team to hand deliver invitations to genius supervillains to join the Future Foundation

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm betting Reed's dad ends up being Immortus.

Weaver on
    edited May 2011
    War of the Four Cities begins in issue 4, with Barry Kitson taking over art duties for that issue at least.
    Marvel is pleased to present your first look at FF #4, from chart-topping creators Jonathan Hickman and Barry Kitson! It’s all led to this – the War of Four Cities starts here! From all corners of the Marvel Universe – Atlantis, the Negative Zone, Subterranea, and the Inhuman Citadel – a torrent of destruction led by the FF’s greatest foes is about tear across the globe and only the Future Foundation can oppose it. But in this gravest of hours, will Dr. Doom finally redeem himself or use the warring factions to finally achieve his life’s dream – one world united beneath his own iron fist? The firefight for the future of the Marvel Universe begins this May, only in FF #4!

I am really happy to see Hickman isn't afraid to bust out his big guns early in the series. It shows that he must have a lot planned after this.

I also hope Kitson permanently takes over for Epting. I like Epting's work and it certainly fit the dark storyline of '3' and Johnny's death but with the bright shiny future of the, well, Future Foundation comes across really muddled with his noir and crime influenced look.

prv8506_pg1.jpg

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    I love seeing Sue use her force fields to make nifty invisible constructs outside of battle. And I've been looking forward to the War of Four Cities, this is quickly becoming one of my favourite books each month.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited May 2011
    I have no idea where the FF got a bunch of alien kids from

Weaver on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    With all their space adventures they gotta pick up a straggler or two somewhere

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hate to go into the Negative Zone here (honk honk), but I'm kind of getting sick of this new musical chairs for artists, and the timeframe is getting smaller and smaller. Used to be 6 issues then a changeup, now we go 3 issues (Venom only went 2). And Kitson was supposed to draw Iron Man 2.0.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2011
    While I understand why you'd be angry, the only one that doesn't have an explanation is Epting on FF. Kitson got a horrible case of pneumonia right when 2.0 started production, so the three artists doing the book was planned since day 1. Ariel Olivetti has taken over as permanent artist it seems. Tony Moore has never been a monthly artist and Marvel knew that, the plan is for Fowler and Moore to swap every issue. Both are fantastic artists and both can't do a monthly book, so it solves the problem.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    While I understand why you'd be angry, the only one that doesn't have an explanation is Epting on FF. Kitson got a horrible case of pneumonia right when 2.0 started production, so the three artists doing the book was planned since day 1. Ariel Olivetti has taken over as permanent artist it seems. Tony Moore has never been a monthly artist and Marvel knew that, the plan is for Fowler and Moore to swap every issue. Both are fantastic artists and both can't do a monthly book, so it solves the problem.

I never heard anything about Kitson getting sick for Iron Man 2.0 until after the book was released with 3 artists on issue #1, or that Moore would be switching off with another artist (this has nothing to do with the quality of their work but what was originally stated). The only thing I heard about Venom leading up to this was Moore got some original pages stolen, and even he was the one who posted about it.

What's annoying me more than anything is that all these changes are not reflected in the solicitations.

To be honest, I think I'll quit picking up FF with #3, and just trade wait if anything.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2011
    There was an interview with Nick Spencer where he said Kitson was sick from the beginning, so they used him to draw the key moments of the first 3 issues.

While I didn't see anything official with Venom, Remender has worked with Moore before and probably knows he will never be a monthly artist. I would be shocked if Fowler wasn't planned early on, especially since Fowler himself is a slow artist.

As for solicits, they are written by interns and what have you, errors happen.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    The errors happen repeatedly, to the point you can't call them errors, especially when Brevoort ran his mouth about DC doing a slapdash job for their solicits a few months back. If you don't know what you're planning three months from now, which is standard lead time for a comic, there are some things that need to be fixed with your operations.

But this is going beyond FF now, I'll leave it at that. It's Doom's fault.

TexiKen on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I never heard anything about Kitson getting sick for Iron Man 2.0 until after the book was released with 3 artists on issue #1, or that Moore would be switching off with another artist (this has nothing to do with the quality of their work but what was originally stated). The only thing I heard about Venom leading up to this was Moore got some original pages stolen, and even he was the one who posted about it.

What's annoying me more than anything is that all these changes are not reflected in the solicitations.

To be honest, I think I'll quit picking up FF with #3, and just trade wait if anything.

If Moore was able to put out a monthly book on time, he'd still be on TWD. He's never been a monthly artist, which isn't a knock on him at all - there are plenty of artists who can't get 12 issues out in a year.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited May 2011
    take it to the bitching thread

and tell me the story about the alien kids

Weaver on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Weaver wrote: »

They're refugees from one of the four cities. And they aren't necessarily 'alien', they're the same race as the Mole Man's minions.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, they came up early on in Hickmans run.

They were too intelligent or something and the rest of the city was going to kill them, so the FF took em in.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I ordered the first two Jonathan Hickman trades off of Amazon yesterday. I'm excited to read them. I really enjoyed the final arc of Fantastic Four, and the re-branded FF.

Seems like he really knows how to balance a monthly book, which is important. He's got enough immediate action that each issue on its own is not too boring or obviously just set-up. But he also does enough pre-planning that it keeps you interested in the long-term story as well.

That's something that I feel some other authors have lost, like Fraction, who seems like every book he writes now is only written for the long-term and many of his single issues suffer because of it.

Are there any other Jonathan Hickman books worth checking out?

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2011
    Secret Warriors is fantastic and almost done. SHIELD is very inventive but has a sporadic schedule. His indie works The Nightly News and Red Mass for Mars are great, but very different from his F4.

Your best choice is probably to pick up the new relaunch of Ultimates and Ultimate Comics Hawkeye in August. Hickman writes both.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pax Romana is also good, albeit quite different.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited May 2011
    Weaver wrote: »

They're refugees from one of the four cities. And they aren't necessarily 'alien', they're the same race as the Mole Man's minions.

I loved the scene with Harvey and Cyclops-Armour Reed in #3 about how more and more of his 'people' are evolving like the three in the FF had.

And on a side note, in what fresh hell would Doom change the colour of his attire to suit Richards?
    Doom.jpg

I know it's meant to show he's part of the Future Foundation. But seriously, he's Doom.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Valeria demands color coordination in all of her binding verbal agreements

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Stupid Valeria

She is going to come to a bad end. Mark my words.

Solar on
    edited May 2011
    I'm reading FF: The End now, and Yancy is a character that needs to show up in the regular universe (well, all of Ben's family)

It's a really good story too, it's not really dark and the characters and the rest of the Marvel Universe is really good. It almost feels like Davis is picking up on little bits of the last thing he wrote, which was his X-Men run before Morrison took over. I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of current Cosmic Marvel, it's got a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe going on.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2011
    How good is it! It was totally Ben's joy on the moon and his family that really kept it from getting as dark as the other "The End" series. That said, I loved "Hulk: The End"

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Preview of FF #5 The War of Four Cities is turning out better than I thought, especially with moments like this:

ffv2005intlr-2.jpg

Bentley is awesome. (in the other page in the preview)

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Isn't that Alex Power? And isn't he supposed to be much older?

His physical and mental age seems to change every issue, sometimes even within issues.

[EDIT] Wait, no. Nevermind. That's Franklin. Alex is with Susan. Regardless, I still say that Alex' age is inconsistent.

TeaSpoon on
    edited June 2011
    Of course Alex is with Susan

Sometimes a woman needs a man who cares

Solar on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Of course Alex is with Susan

Sometimes a woman needs a man who cares

Anyone want to place bets as to how long until Reed/Sue's marriage is undone? Bets can range from a simple divorce to a OMD event.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    edited June 2011
    Reed and Sue will likely stay together forever, especially as them being married very much works for the whole idea of the Fantastic Four, which is about being a family (and therefore the Supermum and Superdad thing is really important). Johnny Hickman almost certainly would not split them up.

I was simply making a joke about how Susan is an older woman spending time away from her oft distracted husband with a blond 19 year old. I think we've all seen movies like that.

Solar on
    edited June 2011
    I actually could totally see Susan wanting to divorce Reed. He is always distant from her and the children, and she is somewhat isolated what with being a public superhero.

I could see her and Peter hooking up.

cshadow42 on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Are you trying to seduce me, Mrs Richards?"

Wildcat on
    edited June 2011
    Wildcat wrote: »

:^:

Solar on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    I actually could totally see Susan wanting to divorce Reed. He is always distant from her and the children, and she is somewhat isolated what with being a public superhero.

In being fair, I would like to point out that Susan and Peter did go on a date once in the 60s. Susan wanted to make Reed jealous since he was ignoring her for his projects again, and Peter agreed because he figured it would piss Johnny off. Both were right, and nothing more ever came of it.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Ian_AustinIan_Austin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cshadow42 wrote: »

Eh, whenever Reed distances himself from Susan she goes and plays under the sea with Namor. Reed notices and seduces her again. She gets to have her cake... and eat it.

Ian_Austin on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Did any of you guys read the 4 or 5 issue Marvel Knights arc of Fantastic Four that was released back when Marvel Knights was still a thing?

It was really dark, and it was about as close as I can recall to Reed and Susan splitting up. Things got pretty tense there for a bit.

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Wildcat wrote: »

:^:
    AlexGraduate.jpg

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bravo, Gank.

Wildcat on
    edited June 2011
    Oh well done sir

well done

Solar on
    edited June 2011
    So, the preview for FF#7
    When did the Supreme Intelligence get rebuilt? Also, fuck Black Bolt for trying to kill the entire universe.

Weaver on
    edited June 2011
    I miss my mainstream Power Pack. I hope we get to see more of the Powers family in FF soon.

cshadow42 on