As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Changing the "new posts in forum" marking

JaninJanin Registered User regular
When the forums were changed to use real checking for whether a thread has been read, it made the "new posts in forum" image almost useless. The forum image checks whether any thread in the forum is unread. For example, say a forum has two threads - Alice and Bob. If I want to keep track of Alice, but don't care about Bob, Bob will always be marked as unread, and so will the forum despite no new posts in Alice.

Could the per-forum check be changed to check for new posts since the last visit to that forum?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Janin on

• Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited June 2007
    your best bet in this case would be to use the "subscribed threads" feature.

I agree in general that it would be nice to be able to, e.g. dbl-click a certain thread somehow and have it marked as read, but I don't see that feature being anywhere on the horizon unless the vB team themselves add it.

Ramius on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That's a bit more than I was talking about. I figure the existing code would look something like this:
    check_thread_read {
      check database
      if record in database and last view < now return false;
      else return true
    }

check_forum_read {
      for thread in forum's recent threads
        if thread has been read
          return true

return false
    }

Would it be possible to modify the "forum read" code to act as the "thread read" code - that is, query the database for the last visit of a forum's index page and act on this data?

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]