As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[COX] - City of Heroes Freedom is Live, TITAN WEAPONS are live also new iTrials

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I resubbed back to the game last week, and since then I've tried a blaster (from scratch), a tank (from scratch) and a mastermind (lvl 22ish) and they aren't holding my interest.

The blaster was too squishy, the tank was ok, but seemed kind of slow, and the mastermind is bots/ff, so I just stand around with bubbles.

What would you suggest I try next? I'm thinking possibly a brute or a scrapper so that I can do damage but in melee, but I'm torn.

Reroll the bots mastermind with a secondary that keeps you more active. I like Bots/Traps, as you actually feel you're contributing to your robots killing sprees even if it's just an occasional triage beacon or handful of caltrops. Add in the poison mine and the acid mortar and it's almost like your participating in combat. I don't know how well Bots work with Storm (I'd imagine they do pretty well), but that's another one that requires more input then clicking the same 3 powers a dozen times every few minutes.

Alternatively, Corrupters can deal good ranged damage while actually having some defensive abilities to support yourself or your team.

But if you want to wade in and punch dudes in the face, you want a brute. I prefer to play from range, so I can't give advice on what brute.

see317 on
  • Options
    kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Or take a couple of the blasts. They're decent supplemental damage, great for picking people off instead of having your bots waste a Full Auto Burst or Swarm Missiles or something one them.

kafziel on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have two level 50 SS brutes and they're both awesome.

My SS/WP brute isn't extremely well-slotted but I play on +2/x8 spawns and do alright

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

My SS/WP brute isn't extremely well-slotted but I play on +2/x8 spawns and do alright

Is this a farm or can you +2/x8 any mish?

And if so...build please?

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Shawnasee wrote: »

Is this a farm or can you +2/x8 any mish?

And if so...build please?

I just play on +2/x8

Sometimes I have to lower it to +0/x8 and some enemy groups still give me trouble (Cimeroran bosses basically explode me if I don't eat a bunch of purples for example)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I created a Dark/Dark Brute to feel out the Brute class, and so far I think I like it.

I have a feeling that wading into melee is fitting me better (especially with the Rage mechanic which rewards me from running from group to group). I'm sure my power choice isn't perfect, but I'm not sure how long I'll stick with the character anyways. I think that Brute is the way to go for me, though.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That's Fury

You're not a WoW warrior

"Rage" is the name of a power that's specific to the Super Strength set.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's Fury

You're not a WoW warrior

"Rage" is the name of a power that's specific to the Super Strength set.

Ah. Whoops.

I briefly glanced at the official forums and saw it all over the Brute posts and just assumed thats what that new bar was called.

Either way, I like it.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You should like it.

Because brutes are amazing.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    And Dark Armor Brutes are amazing even by Brute standards.

kafziel on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    alright you god damn sorcerers

it's a well established joke that my SS/Inv Brute sucks and dies constantly

how about you fuckin' build wizards

show me how to do a SS/Inv Brute build that won't result in me constantly licking the floor

eh

eh

how about that

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Pony wrote: »

show me how to do a SS/Inv Brute build that won't result in me constantly licking the floor

eh

eh

how about that

don't fight psychic enemies

profit

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Psychics are everywhere

Even the robots are fuckin psychic

We dooooomed

Ledneh on
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sorry pony, there is no build that can save you. You are DOOOOOOOOMED.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

eh

eh

how about that

What you ask might or might not be possible. But if you're constantly licking the floor with this, it's your fault, not the build's.

kafziel on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ah, city of heroes forums

how dumb you are

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

how dumb you are

Cite plzkthx.

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Narbus wrote: »

how dumb you are

Cite plzkthx.

do you need a citation to see that the CoH forums are dumb

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

how dumb you are

Cite plzkthx.

No, but it's fun to point and laugh.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So are defenders really objectively worse than corruptors or is that just a lot of forum abloo abloo?

Ledneh on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Defenders buff/debuffs are better than ruptors'.

It's just that most of the time, the additional amount of debuffing they do is inconsequential. And corruptors do a lot more damage.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Most? What (de)buffs are defenders better at?

Despite my best efforts at not doing so I became sick with envy on a lambda earlier. Had like three sets of sonic debuffs rolling around taking our damage through the stratosphere. :rotate:

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    -Defense, -ToHit, -Resist, -Damage, +Defense, +ToHit, +Resist, +Damage, Heals, and slows. Pretty much everything you'd be looking for except -Regen, +Regen, or +Recharge.

"A lot more damage" is pretty arguable, too, and even then is only looking at personal damage output instead of team damage output. The math on the contribution of Scourge is difficult though. It's an average of x1.3 if you weight all health values equally, but that doesn't account for overkill. And unlike SR passives, the scaling benefit is really hard to datamine exact values for.

I think my Cold/Guns defender and my Rad/Sonic defender both contribute a lot more to TFs or Trials than they would if they were Corrupters, but that's kind of beside the point. Whichever's technically mathematically better is not better by much of a margin. Nothing in this game sucks.

kafziel on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Marginally bigger -def, -tohit and slow debuffs don't really matter though, and +defense only matters a little bit. -Resist and +/- damage are where the main difference is, and a lot of the time (e.g. cold) those components of the defender powers aren't even better.

but yeah, ultimately the real answer is that nothing is difficult enough that the disparity actually becomes important

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    My big issue with defenders is that once you're on a team your secondary is basically useless. You are there to wing around buff/debuffs/whatever. It's vaguely the same thing that irks me about dominators in AV fights. There really shouldn't be any part of the game where either of your powersets gets shoved by the wayside, so it just reeks of shitty design to me.

At least with a dominator every other part of teaming you are still useful, it's just those few fights that are in every single task force ever which yeah, that's annoying.

I had a big thing written up once about how they should change how mezzes work to make things better for everyone, but when I posted it to the dom forum I ran into the wall of "OMFG WE IS BEST ALREADY UUUUUUUURGH" that is just everywhere in the defender forum so now I just spend my time emasculating lesser doms. And tanks. And brutes...corrupters, defenders, really everyone I suppose.

Narbus on
  • Options
    ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Get your computer situation sorted out yet?

Arcas on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    kafziel wrote: »
    Nothing in this game sucks.
    Except Defenders.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    see317 wrote: »

how dumb you are

Cite plzkthx.

the above point about how the city of heroes forums are populated by people who are terrified of change is a good start

i was mostly thinking about the threads in the Going Rogue part about how our way is objectively morally superior and we'll belittle anyone who disagrees for fifty pages that are constantly there

if you have 50,000 posts on the CoH forums over like three years you might need to re-examine your life is all i'm saying

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    also, I just got my first thing slotted into my brute's alpha (the +33% recharge one)

what do i do now :(

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

how dumb you are

Cite plzkthx.

the above point about how the city of heroes forums are populated by people who are terrified of change is a good start

i was mostly thinking about the threads in the Going Rogue part about how our way is objectively morally superior and we'll belittle anyone who disagrees for fifty pages that are constantly there

if you have 50,000 posts on the CoH forums over like three years you might need to re-examine your life is all i'm saying

i have sixty two thousand posts on this forum :(

Pony on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    also, I just got my first thing slotted into my brute's alpha (the +33% recharge one)

Start running BAF and Lam trials until your eyes bleed to unlock the next 4 slots.
    Then do it again to get the threads and other materials you need to build the enhancements for those slots.
    Then keep doing it to upgrade those enhancements to third tier at least so you can get the bonus levels.

Then you can continue running the trials a while longer.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "Rares in every slot" is a pretty fine shortterm goal, and pretty attainable. "Very Rares in every slot" can be a very long term goal.

It's also fun to take all this newfound power and mock regular 50 content with it.

kafziel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    i have sixty two thousand posts on this forum :(

yeah but you could pull that off on PA by commenting one 62000 unique games

whereas these people somehow have 62000 posts worth of commentary on city of heroes

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sometimes their fanfics can't fit in one post man!

Lep on
  • Options
    tricontricon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Start running BAF and Lam trials until your eyes bleed to unlock the next 4 slots.
    Then do it again to get the threads and other materials you need to build the enhancements for those slots.
    Then keep doing it to upgrade those enhancements to third tier at least so you can get the bonus levels.

Then you can continue running the trials a while longer.

Only bad if you have a zillion alts at lvl 50.

My last brute needed 23 runs (baf&lambda) to unlock all 4 slots. It yielded 2 commons; 10 uncommons; 10 rare; 1 very rare. I turn "all" astral and empyrean into threads so in the end I got one tier 4 destiny.
    The only slot I really care about for the full buff duration. For the rest tier 3 looks good enough....
    All other slots including alpha are tier 3. So a 45% recharge reduction for alpha + indestructible support pet (lore) + 31 target nuke with extra dmg (judgement) + 75% fire dot on all attacks (interface).

Thats good enough for my taste. 8-)

tricon on
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Glal wrote: »
    kafziel wrote: »
    Nothing in this game sucks.
    Except Defenders.

And peacebringers.

and the hostage AI.

And the fact that pedestrians can shove your super ass out of the way. But no argument about that first claim.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man, when people ask "Where were you when you heard about Osama bin Laden?" I'm going to have to say "Rikti War Zone".

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    jonxp wrote: »
    Man, when people ask "Where were you when you heard about Osama bin Laden?" I'm going to have to say "Rikti War Zone".

Its okay I was standing in the entrance to a mission to unlock Cimerora on my Illusion/Storm controller. His name? Schaden Freuden.

ransim on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Arcas wrote: »
    Get your computer situation sorted out yet?

If this fucking wireless card will ever bother to fucking install correctly then yes, I will have sorted out my computer issues.

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I can't think of anything that I have ever hated more than I hate Netgear right now.

Narbus on
This discussion has been closed.