As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ARMA 2] A new thread because we have a server!

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I suspect the UH-60 in Red Mercury is bugged--specifically, all positions besides pilot and copilot are bugged and leave you staring at your feet (or, if you're taking a door gun, staring down the gunsights at the ground).

Synthesis on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you're ever itchy for a new map I would definitely recommend Isla Duala, it's one of the more polished maps out there for A2.

Satsumomo on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm a huge fan of the Fallujah map, actually. It's so huge you can do all sorts of urban stuff on it.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We need a recreation of the Bin Laden mission. I can't imagine how many different and fun ways we'd fuck that up. :P

Yall on
    edited May 2011
    We know what his compound looks like.

I have no idea how to build structures in Arma, though. I could maybe make it otherwise. And obviously we could just fake it with some other structure.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    If anyone feels like testing out this mission log into PA Joe

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    Yall wrote: »
    We need a recreation of the Bin Laden mission. I can't imagine how many different and fun ways we'd fuck that up. :P

"Oh my god! Why does the objective have a SAW?! Why would he have that?!"

"Chester dropped it when he got capped in the knees! The AI must have picked it up! Synth, where are you and Evilgilant with our extraction?"

"...guys, the helo crashed like....ten minutes ago."

Synthesis on
    edited May 2011
    the mission didn't even crash the server!

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Yall wrote: »

"Oh my god! Why does the objective have a SAW?! Why would he have that?!"

"Chester dropped it when he got capped in the knees! The AI must have picked it up! Synth, where are you and Evilgilant with our extraction?"

"...guys, the helo crashed like....ten minutes ago."

If we ever do that mission again, next time I'm just going to park the damn helicopter and order the apache around. It's such a pain in the ass dodging all the firing coming towards the helicopter: at first it knocked out the tail, then the engine and there must've been at least 5 different sources firing on us.

I'd just park it at the drop off zone, turn off the engine, get out and pull security/look at the map and tell the apache to attack targets. Then, when they're on their way back and ready for extraction, start up the engine and warm it up so when they get to the heli it's ready for take off.

I would honestly love to see what that mission is like at night. I bet it's difficult as fuck, but awesome as shit.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lord Yod just tossed me a message telling me that someone was apparently trolling whatever server you guys play on using my name. I just wanted to pop in and say that it definitely wasn't me. Though, I guess I feel a little honored that apparently I'm popular enough to impersonate.

Also, I've never heard of Arma 2, but now it has my attention. Maybe this is some elaborate scheme to get me to look into it.

Henroid on
    edited May 2011
    Found some things:

http://www.plannedassault.com is a website that will build basic single-player missions that you can then download and play. Since the only difference between single, multi, and co-op is which units are set as playable, this will let us build basic missions to fuck around with. (By basic I mean the objectives are things like 'clear this area' or 'hold this territory' or 'blow this up')

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-mission-development/144524-armed-assault-2-editor-tutorial-series-pclipse.html is a series of tutorial videos for using the editor in the game. Covers the basics of the interface, placing units, making groups, setting waypoints, creating triggers and objectives, and creating mission briefings, then covers a couple how-tos for things like helo assaults and HALO drops.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Lord Yod just tossed me a message telling me that someone was apparently trolling whatever server you guys play on using my name. I just wanted to pop in and say that it definitely wasn't me. Though, I guess I feel a little honored that apparently I'm popular enough to impersonate.

Also, I've never heard of Arma 2, but now it has my attention. Maybe this is some elaborate scheme to get me to look into it.

That was me. Although I guess the definition of trolling is joining the server, shooting a bad guy, then running over to a teammate to try and revive him. They were just upset because I called them out on how uptight and boring they are. I didn't tk anyone in your name or even say a word. I apologize if you were offended although it doesn't seem like you were. I only used your name because you were a believable candidate to be a new player on the server. Nothing malicious was intended.

Seriously though playing with Yod and Sonelan is like visiting your grandpa at the old person's home. then having to listen to his ceramics club tell their stories while you try and figure out a way to kill yourself with your mind during rounds of poker.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dude. Don't use my name.

Henroid on
  • HubHub Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Found some things:

http://www.plannedassault.com is a website that will build basic single-player missions that you can then download and play. Since the only difference between single, multi, and co-op is which units are set as playable, this will let us build basic missions to fuck around with. (By basic I mean the objectives are things like 'clear this area' or 'hold this territory' or 'blow this up')

This is crazy cool.

Hub on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Dude. Don't use my name.

Like I said I apologize. But seriously it's something that took 3 seconds. I needed to go in real quick and finish up some work in the mission. If all had gone to plan I would have been in there 6 minutes and no one would have known different. If it weren't for Yod being a tattle tale (which matches up quite nicely with the rest of his personality) then no one would have ever known that it even happened. It's not like I was trying to besmirch your good name.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    edited May 2011
    Just so it's clear to anyone else interested to know, we asked you several times over several days to stop being a dick in both the PA Joe server and in the Vent channel we were using. I kicked you because you refused to stop talking about your dick.

Sonelan pays for the server and if he asks you to stop singing about your dick it seems like the nice thing to do if you want to continue playing. This is covered in the OP.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It'd also be nice if you wouldn't try harassing me in vent now that you have decided to do your own server or whatever.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011
    Just so it's clear to anyone else interested to know

gah you are such a d-bag it's ridiculous.

edit: to everyone else who aren't complete tools, the new arma 2 server goes up in a few days. There might also be another one which features acemod. Let me know if anyone will be around enough to warrant giving admin access. I'll be at work a lot so I won't be able to police the server myself. There's no requirement's to joining. you won't just get randomly kicked at the whims of a stiff owner. It will be all about fun non broken missions and games. I'll give more info once I get the servers up.

I'm also in the process of organizing a friendly adversarial match between another well known gaming community website and ours. This will be a serious milsim affair withith the same atmosphere as shack tactical matches. More info such as what website and when will be available later. If your interested let me know so I can start figuring out what kind of turnout it will be. We're gonna need at least 40 people I think. Everyone will be assigned roles based on what the team needs. So if you have a preference let me know now before we start filling the spots.

Just so you know, I'm not a bad guy. I'm all about having fun and getting the community together. Don't believe the smear campaigns about me. Email me at Wcarr09@gmail.com .

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm totally for a CFArma style thing on this side of the ocean.

Satsumomo on
    edited May 2011
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I'm totally for a CFArma style thing on this side of the ocean.

That's exactly what I'm aiming at setting up. And judging by what the other websites guys are saying to me that's what they want too. You in? if we're successful with this first one it could be the beginning of many more or even a full on league of some kind. But first we need people who are willing to play.

And Yes Yod and Sonelan can participate even though I want nothing to do with either of them.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you want to do a server go for it Costanza. I have no problem with someone else doing one. But don't try to act like you've been greatly wronged or something. We asked you to quit talking about dicks three times and you wouldn't so you got kicked since we were trying to do our missions. Then you tried logging in under other name's to TK Yod according to someone. THEN proceeded to spam me and yod in steam and again tried it on vent with me today while I was playing a different game.

You are more than welcome to play on the server if you can manage to play without distracting people from the actual game.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    aw Group hug. Constanza, Yod, Sonelan, everyone, get over here..
    wait,
    Nooooooo, Costanza! Costanza! Back in your pants! No genitalia!
    ok thats better mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

rRootagea on
  • rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is this organized thingy going to be accessible to sampler edition Arma 2?
    which will make getting your 10-40 man rabble brigade somewhat more likely.

rRootagea on
  • kobold_thiefkobold_thief Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm down for anything even remotely ARMA related and I might get on the server soon. Also, does anyone know any decent joysticks or pedals? I'm looking into getting some so that I might be able to fly at least semi-striaght.

kobold_thief on
    "Wit is well bred insolence." - Aristotle

BFuXcFvD2DRsxDR~3Dvr
    edited May 2011
    I'm down for anything even remotely ARMA related and I might get on the server soon. Also, does anyone know any decent joysticks or pedals? I'm looking into getting some so that I might be able to fly at least semi-striaght.

I have a Cyborg X and it's decent. It's plenty of adjustable but isn't set up right at the moment so the sensitivity curves are off.

Lots of people say the X-52 Pro is the budget way to go for HOTAS setups but the build quality leaves a bit to be desired, apparently it's not uncommon to get them broken out of the box. However, lots of satisfied owners.

The X-65F is a new-fangled stick that doesn't move. Instead, it senses the force you apply to it. It's supposed to be pretty cool if you can get used to it.

The G940 is supposed to be really awesome in the realm of force-feedback HOTAS setups, and it includes pedals. They're a touch finicky from what I've read, not all of them are built to the same quality, however I know some flight-sim goons who swear by theirs.

From what I've read the best one around these days is the Warthog since it's basically an exact replica of the HOTAS from an A-10. It is also like $500 so yeah.

For Arma just about any $20 joystick will work for what you need, people use PS3 and 360 controllers even. If you just want something that's not a mouse I would start with something like the Cyborg, since it has all the features you need (lots of buttons, split throttle, rudder control via twisting the stick) and isn't too expensive. If you decide you really want a good setup then you'll of course want a TrackIR and a really good HOTAS, but I wouldn't dive into that unless you're also getting into serious flightsims like the DCS series or the new IL-2 since you're talking about potentially a $500+ investment.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    Sonelan wrote: »
    If you want to do a server go for it Costanza. I have no problem with someone else doing one. But don't try to act like you've been greatly wronged or something. We asked you to quit talking about dicks three times and you wouldn't so you got kicked since we were trying to do our missions. Then you tried logging in under other name's to TK Yod according to someone. THEN proceeded to spam me and yod in steam and again tried it on vent with me today while I was playing a different game.

You are more than welcome to play on the server if you can manage to play without distracting people from the actual game.

Ok this is the third time you've brought it up for no reason. Stop. No one is talking to you. I've already told you I'm not coming back to your server because I don't like you. Now are you good or are you going to make another post about it 4 or 5 posts down the road when no one is talking about it? Just drop it.

@ someone else's question: Yeah from what I've gathered from talking with my counterpart we are going to try and keep it vanilla to make it the most accessible. I think what we might do is a vote on what version you have/ would like to play and go from there. Well probably vote on some other things too like a date that is the most likely time to draw the most participants. All this will be coming along soon I'm writing the first draft of my plan right now.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • ToothcakeToothcake Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Simple is better when it comes to Arma flying. HOTAS sticks are more trouble than they're worth given the simple flight model. Any joystick with twist-rudder and a throttle will be enough to get you by comfortably.

Toothcake on
  • bastich25bastich25 seattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'll be back on the server tomorrow ready to kick some butt. Yod, any changes to the Bin Laden map?

bastich25 on
    edited May 2011
    I had to take care of shit today but am planning on working on it tomorrow. Got a couple ideas for other missions as well.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • bastich25bastich25 seattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah gonna try my hand at it. It doesn't look terribly difficult for the simpler encounters. I found a castle in some highlands in one of the maps that should be a cool area.

bastich25 on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I totally missed the sale, annoyingly. :( Downloading the demo at the moment just to see if it's something that I would enjoy.

WMain00 on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Christ I'm gone for a few days and suddenly we're slinging shit at each other D:

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    Christ I'm gone for a few days and suddenly we're slinging shit at each other D:

disappointed nothing changed?

Big Classy on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You guys should really consider using TS3 and the ACRE mod on your server? It makes the game sound so awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKTkuGZIZx8&lc

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lots of people say the X-52 Pro is the budget way to go for HOTAS setups but the build quality leaves a bit to be desired, apparently it's not uncommon to get them broken out of the box. However, lots of satisfied owners.

I'm one of those satisfied owners. I love mine. I will agree that it's not necessary if you're just planning on using it for ARMA, but it's awesome for flight simming.
    The X-65F is a new-fangled stick that doesn't move. Instead, it senses the force you apply to it. It's supposed to be pretty cool if you can get used to it.

I believe this is what new F-16s use, as well, so it's not some idea that Saitek came up with. It still seems strange to me but supposedly it works fairly well.

Actually, checking Wikipedia "Originally, the side-stick controller was non-moving, but this arrangement proved uncomfortable and difficult for pilots to adjust to, sometimes resulting in a tendency to "over-rotate" the aircraft during takeoffs, so the control stick was given a small amount of “play”. Since its introduction on the F-16, HOTAS controls have become a standard feature among modern fighters."
    From what I've read the best one around these days is the Warthog since it's basically an exact replica of the HOTAS from an A-10. It is also like $500 so yeah.

I'll also point out that the A-10 has the exact same throttle as the F-15 and the stick from another plane I can't remember now, so it's like a 3 for 1. But yeah, it's priced out of most casual users reach, unfortunately.

[/airporn]

Sir Carcass on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So is anyone down for doing some missions later today?

Also, what does is take to set up a Domination type map on our server?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Either i'm doing something wrong, or this game needs a beef of a rig to run pretty.

WMain00 on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Either i'm doing something wrong, or this game needs a beef of a rig to run pretty.

Bohemia has a decade long history of doing engines that don't run nearly as well as they should.

Echo on
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah. Arma2 is about as optimized and streamlined as a grease cinderblock, and even a pretty monster rig will chug pretty hard.

There are additional steps you can take to possibly increase performance. You can append startup parameters using a shortcut, or using the Set Launch Options option in steam (right click on the item in the library, hit properties).

The two main startup parameters of note are -exthreads and -cpuCount. Arma2 automatically detects how many CPUs it should use and how many extra threads it should multithread itself into. But sometimes it guesses wrong, and sometimes people encounter problems when Arma2 decides it needs to max out every goddamn core. You can set -cpuCount to any number equal to or less than the number of cores in your machine. -exThreads can be 0, 1, 3, 5, 7. By default, it will use values of 3 on a Dual Core and 7 on a Quad Core. On my 2.53 ghz core2 duo, a setting of 3 slows everything to a crawl, so I pruned it back to 1. You can adjust this number to try and improve your performance. If you have a beast of a computer, you might get more power out of turning it up, on a slightly weak machine, you might get better results turning it down.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters for the explanation/:words: straight from BIS.

hailthefish on
    edited May 2011
    I've been playing it at 1080p on a new ASUS VH238, and have been noticing a bit of "flickering" on menus, windows, anything that's part of the 2D interface. Was not a problem when I was playing it at 1680 by 1050 on my Acer monitor. Perhaps the game doesn't get along with LED?

Synthesis on