As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sometimes Books Are Turned Into Things that Move...

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FAST FIVE was probably the best movie I've seen in a theater this year - everything I want out of an action movie. I hope they make one of those movies every year for the next ten years, and I hope the Rock is in every one of them, too. He was fucking amazing in this movie - they need to get the Rock into his own action star franchise as soon as possible.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So apparently in recent comics Superman has abadoned his U.S. citzenship for that of 'the world'.

Gaaaaaaay.

This is why I stick with the DCAU.

Except...it already happened, in a story from 1974:

2011-04-29_101936_29927-98a95.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fast Five has some stiff competition for best movie so far for me

I have already seen Drive Angry, Super, and Hobo With a Shotgun

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hobo w/ A Shotgun was good, but it wasn't F5 good. The Rock/Vin fight alone trumps anything in Hobo.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I mean, they get a guy's palm print by having him grope the ass of some Israeli chick.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So apparently in recent comics Superman has abadoned his U.S. citzenship for that of 'the world'.

Gaaaaaaay.

*snip*

The way they wrote it then it was just in addition to US citizenship, as opposed to giving it up.

DC could atone for their sins by making an animated movie of "What's so Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way?"

TexiKen on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is there even a comic where DC America gives Superman honorary citizenship or are we just going around in circles for stupid stupid reasons?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    JFK gave Superman citizenship back in the day.

Then that collector's edition comic from the 70's established his UN status.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ringo wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Those technically aren't DCAU, that's just Batman and Superman the Animated Serieses, Batman Beyond and Justice League/JLU.

I highly recommend Crisis on Two Earths as well as skipping Apocalypse. It is very not good.
    I watched this on Netflix, and was amazed at how terrible it was.

It was like it was relying on you knowing the comics, to get you invested in the story at all. Like, who'd watch that, and be sad when Harbinger dies? No one. Because she's only in it for about two minutes, and then we're supposed to care when Supergirl mourns her at the end of the thing. It's a great example of telling the audience the character's important, and they should care about her, rather than actually going to the effort of showing why.

Combine that with the crap lifted from the comic (Darkseid remarking on how humans will kill their own kind, the ending that's drawn out way too long, etc.) and the whole thing's just an ill-paced, poorly written mess.

Beautiful animation, though. And the scene with Barda in the suburbs was fun.

As I recall, the original comic book gave you zero reason to care about Harbinger as well. And then she dies.

There were two or three good scenes in the entire mess. The discovery of the pod at the very beginning, Barda's house in the Suburbs, and Batman outwitting Darkseid where the movie should have ended.

However, also two absolutely terrible scenes: Supergirl giving into every female stereotype at the mall, and that final physical fight with Darkseid that pretty much just ruins the character and also somehow manages to go on forever.

Doomsday has its moments. Not intentionally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91IZfMWoQtg

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Evil clone Superman was great. He was just so nonchalantly creepy.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    2hednc3.jpg

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Gaaaaaaay.

2011-04-29_101936_29927-98a95.jpg

That's fine, but some hack writer making gawdamn SUEPRMAN say "The American Way isn't enough anymore" is just stirring up stupid controversy to sell issues in the name of being 'relevant'.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Gaaaaaaay.

That's fine, but some hack writer making gawdamn SUPERMAN say "The American Way isn't enough anymore" is just stirring up stupid controversy to sell issues in the name of being 'relevant'.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Gaaaaaaay.

That's fine, but some hack writer making gawdamn SUPERMAN say "The American Way isn't enough anymore" is just stirring up stupid controversy to sell issues in the name of being 'relevant'.

I don't quite get why it's controversial. Wasn't Superman co-created by a Canadian anyway?

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also other countries don't always follow the American way

So maybe Superman is more saying that he respects that and understands that the American Way isn't enough for everyone, and that he must understand that to protect the whole world.

Solar on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Motherfucker! Looks like some bright spark stole Sammy Jacksons script and fucked initial shooting for The Avengers.

Go Team.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It was the Serpent Society. Revenge.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    According to the studio, shooting has not been delayed.
    http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=36435

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There's a link at the bottom of the Comics Alliance article saying roughly the same and then there's other sites reporting stuff like "indefinite hold". I'm just hoping for minimal time wasted.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Reading the line "Tony and Cap run..." off one of those script pages just made it all seem so real.

Starting Friday, when I see Thor, through next summer, will be the best year ever for 14 year old me, who is living inside my 28 year old brain. He is awesome.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Spidey movie shots:

skatingspideygwenrunning.jpg

Peter really looks like a young hipster Egon:

Egon_GB1.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    His neck is creepily long

To the point where that photo seems shopped

Solar on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I never knew Reed Richards was into skateboarding.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've got a bad feeling about this.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well, you can have your bad feeling.

I'll be over here feeling good about everything we've seen. Giraffe neck parker be damned.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Knee Jerk reaction is that it looks like they're trying to make him look semi-hipster/nerd but I aint going to judge based on one still.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have zero problems with hipster/nerd Peter Parker.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I don't get why it is a bad thing

that is exactly how Peter would dress nowadays

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I am inclined to agree based on my extensive observations of modern teenagers.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I am a modern teenager.

Beat that

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This changes everything.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Uncle Ben wouldn't raise his nephew to be a hipster, that would be my only response. I've always seen Peter as being behind the times in terms of how his multiple origins depict him, which makes him stand out a lot more and ripe for Flash Thompson bullying. He's so concerned with books and learning he can't be bothered to have trendy jeans or pre weathered t-shirts.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I am a modern teenager.

Beat that

Suddenly it all makes sense

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Uncle Ben wouldn't raise his nephew to be a hipster, that would be my only response. I've always seen Peter as being behind the times in terms of how his multiple origins depict him, which makes him stand out a lot more and ripe for Flash Thompson bullying. He's so concerned with books and learning he can't be bothered to have trendy jeans or pre weathered t-shirts.

Aren't Ben and May pretty much hipsters themselves in the Ultimate universe?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hippies are different from hipsters, or at least to me.

Plus the underlying theme of Peter growing up with his aunt and uncle is that they really don't have any money beyond the necessities.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Man you can get clothes like that for cheap as hell all over the place.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah uh

Thrift stores are a real thing

Also oh god everyone knows my secret

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blank what are you doing on my lawn.

GET OFF MY LAWN.

That Frisbee's mine now. You're not getting it back.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Man you can get clothes like that for cheap as hell all over the place.

Oh yeah well he's got one of them fangled ipods in his hand for teh hacking, and those glasses are probably Kenneth Cole's or somesuch.

Why, when I was a teenager......(early '00's 4 life, yo).

TexiKen on