As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel's Street Heroes - Constant Gang Warfare, Itty Bitty Island.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That is good news Blank

Bendis has a habit of doing that, but he can resist. I like it when he does

Solar on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It seems like most of the quips will come from CrazySpider-Man or the scenes Bendis likes to do with random mafia thugs having funny conversations.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So as Moon Knight, what are his powers? I saw him throw a moon boomerang (moonerang?) at Hyde. What else does he do?

And a question with spoiler implications --
    Is Moon Knight actually in the Avengers, or is that all in his head? I understand that his conversation at the end was all in his head, but sometimes with this stuff its hard to tell where the truth ends and the crazy begins.

Especially with literally zero prior knowledge of the character.

Also, the last-page reveal was pretty awesome. I was like "oh shit, this guy is fucking crazy."

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2011
    He has no powers, he is on par with dudes like Daredevil or Batman.
    He actually is a member of Steve Roger's Secret Avengers.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    He used to have powers though

He had lower level superhuman strength, toughness and reflexes at night

These days he is like Blank said, a regular dude, though he is famously tough and almost supernaturally hard to kill.

Solar on
    edited May 2011
    I prefer him sans powers

if you're gonna make a street-level Batman type character giving him powers is just silly

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    Iron Fist has powers

Daredevil has powers

Usually I like powered characters, though I do prefer Moon as is to the powers he had. A bit of juice from some source would be nice though. I think the Ultimate version was some sort of Roxxon experiment, which was cool.

Solar on
    edited May 2011
    Daredevil's powers give him a slight edge via senses

otherwise, he is a completely normal dude

and Iron Fist ain't Batman. He spends more time fighting dragons and magic kung-fu warriors than muggers.

I am talking about dudes with Super-strength and durability and toughness. It takes the thrill out of a street-level hero when street level crime isn't on his level.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Moonknight was good.

I liked how under the masks, they looked just like him.

I mean, some artists draw all faces alike anyway, but it was obvious that he meant for them to all look like Spector.

Sharp101 on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yah, I really like the way they're going with his mental instability in this run. It certainly is a departure from what we've usually seen in past runs of the character, but this time it seems more like Marc has redirected it more towards being an asset rather than a "is he there/isn't he there" Egyptian god that makes him angry enough to go berserk and kick ass.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The new issue of Herc kinda bugged me.
    First, Hobgoblin just grates on me. I'm not sure if he's supposed to be funny, or annoying, but either way, he's just not much fun to read about. He's just this kind of generic, snickering bad guy, with none of the pathos or likeability that Phil Urich used to have. It probably doesn't help that he's been popping up all over recently, and keeps escaping by the skin of his teeth. He's Team Rocket, basically.

Along those same lines, Herc is about to deliver a coup de grace, when he's suddenly dissuaded by Hobgoblin live-streaming the fight to the "interwebs." Since when does Herc give a shit about things like that? This is the guy who beat robo-Thor's head in with a giant hammer, who publicly opposed SHIELD and Tony Stark, and who sided with the Hulk, when he literally waged war on Earth's superheroes. Why would he hesitate for even a moment, when it comes to skewering a little weasel like the Hobgoblin? I mean, the first issue of this series kicked off with him chopping a guy's arm off, and then turning a bunch of gang members to stone. He clearly has no issue with taking extreme measures.

Similarly why would he put up with any of the Kingpin's bullshit, at all?

It wasn't a bad issue, but it felt constrained by the fact that these are corporate characters, and Herc can't take the actions he'd logically take, in these situations.

Munch on
    edited May 2011
    I agree with you on the first point for sure. It annoyed me too.

On the second
    Herc has smartened up since then and become more than a little disillusioned. He died, being betrayed by his own sister, and was brought back and saved the entire universe from destruction. What did he get in return? He got cast down to mortality again.

I think Herc realizes he can't be the same old Herc anymore. He's mortal and he is vulnerable, he can't afford the attention that would come from pissing off Kingpin or murdering someone live on the internt.

I think your "corporate characters" claim is more than a little silly. Marvel puts out Punisher and Siege and Wolverine and other stories that are full with characters killing people. Hercules being at Marvel doesn't make a difference.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't mean that Herc can't kill people in his book, I mean he can't kill these characters. Because they have to appear in Spider-Man, Daredevil, and probably Punisher, when that book gets relaunched. So to me, it doesn't make much sense to even include them.

Basically, I wish Pak and Van Lente had used some disposable characters, so that there could be some kind of satisfying resolution to their conflict with Herc. Like, the villain that shows up on the last page? That's a dude that Herc can kill, or at least put out of commission for a good long while, because he's basically a nobody, and the appearances he has made, have been in Herc and Ares. So, I'm excited to see how that story resolves, because it can go in a lot of different directions. Not so with Kingpin and Hobgoblin.

I had a similar complaint about Spider-Girl and the Red Hulk. That's a conflict that'll never really be resolved. Because Red Hulk has his own comic, and it sells better than Spider-Girl's, and oh yeah now he's an Avenger. So, it doesn't matter that he killed her Dad, and that she's mad at him about it. She either has to forgive him, or that plot point will just have to hang around for a while.

Same thing for Punisher vs the Hood, Atlas vs Norman Osborne, or a dozen other B-list titles that use A-list villains to try to boost their profile. I think the intention is to make it seem like big, important stuff is happening in their books, but to me, it has the opposite effect. Atlas vs Osborne was never going to be important. Punisher vs Hood was never going to end with anything less than Hood running away to fight the Avengers. These stories are doomed to end in anticlimax, or at best Pyrrhic victory, and that bugs me.

Honestly, I'm just kind of tired of heroes swapping villains all the time, and bad guys never getting their proper comeuppance. Like, I just saw Purple Man escaped in a Fear Itself tie-in. How's that story going to go? Here's my guess, based on years of Purple Man stories.

1) Purple Man acts like a dick, and either tries to rape a female character, or mind-control Luke Cage.

2) Luke Cage caves his face in, and Purple Man goes back to jail.

3) Purple Man will escape again.

4) See 1).

Similarly, Herc may score some kind of victory over Hobgoblin and Kingpin, but only for that issue, in that book, and then they'll be off fucking with Daredevil or Spider-Man for the umpteenth time.

It's just tiresome, to me.

Basically, if it had turned out that Dionysus was the greedy mob boss trying to grab up property, and his errand boy/enforcer had been I dunno, Miklos the Minotaur or something, I'd be much less bothered.

Munch on
    edited May 2011
    Well

it is also the second issue

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Munch Luke Cage and John Walker team up to kill Purple Man in a Thunderbolts issue just wait and see (they both have legitimate claims to wanting the dude dead).

TexiKen on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hobgoblin is like the new Hood, only he isn't involved in a major storyline that would require this much exposure. Maybe Slott has some long-term plans for the character to eventually become a major player, mirroring Spider-Man's own ascent to the big leagues.

Still, Spider-Man is everywhere because he's a likable character, and so Hobgoblin can't follow suit unless he's likable as well.

Robos A Go Go on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Munch Luke Cage and John Walker team up to kill Purple Man in a Thunderbolts issue just wait and see (they both have legitimate claims to wanting the dude dead).

Totally. He had a one page story in Fear Itself: Homefront and they mentioned his history with Jessica Jones in New Avengers a few months back. Could be a New Avenger/Thunderbolts crossover? I'd read that.

Ooh, I got Moon Knight #1 finally and enjoyed it. The art was a little hard to follow around the boat scene but other wise I liked the roughly inked, 90's style it kinda had going on, suits a gritty, urban hero book. But really?
    Another Ultron? If it wakes up and does anything other than be his version of Headpool, I won't be held responsible for my bitching.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's a Bendis book so yeah, another Ultron

Furu on
    edited May 2011
    Alrighty, I'm a little behind this week, but I just finished H4H #6 and if cosmic marvel didn't sell you on DnA you'd better get to reading this series. Witty dialogue, well-paced action and Paladin is actually getting some character development finally. This series is fantastique!

Though I still wanna know what he did with Odins Spear.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Odin got it back when he came back to life

Furu on
    edited May 2011
    H4H 6 was the series' last chance for me and man did they succeed.

I loved the first three issues but the Misty and Puppet Master arc was awful. Well, not awful, just super incredibly boring. Especially since it followed stories like Moon Knight wrestling a velociraptor and Ghost Rider stopping a group of supernatural arms dealers selling damnunition. I was worried that Misty was going to remain the focus of the series. Hopefully she will remain in the background as control(which she is much more enjoyable as, she is the perfect parts smarmy and practical) and Paladin and whatever heroes are hired take center stage.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Hopefully she will remain in the background as control(which she is much more enjoyable as, she is the perfect parts smarmy and practical)

She is great in that roll. The line she gives Paladin about leaving his respect with his money on the nighstand was fuckin' gold.
    Furu wrote: »
    Odin got it back when he came back to life

Ah, all goodsies then. That would have been a pretty cool ace-in-the-hole for Paladin.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I am fine with Misty being -a- mainstay in H4H but not THE mainstay

WeedLordVegeta on
    edited May 2011
    I agree with Blank in that I do not care for Misty Knight at all

however

I like Paladin so I will keep reading this book

Wonder if they are going to reference him having the spear of Odin though

Solar on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    He Doesn't have it anymore.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited May 2011
    Where did it go?

Solar on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Odin has it again.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited May 2011
    Odin got it back when he came back to life.

Just like Furu said a few posts ago you blind british bastard

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    Yeah

Well

Shut up

Anyway that sounds pretty lame. He just got it back? Like it popped back into his hands? There could have been a cool story there.

Also when are you going to send me more Protector stuff you slacker

Solar on
    edited May 2011
    I had finals!

I'm workin' on it

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    Yes it just popped back into his hands he's fucking Odin!

Furu on
    edited May 2011
    Lame

Solar on
    edited May 2011
    No they totally should have put out a one shot about that

"I'm Odin. Give me my spear back."

"Okay."

THE END

$3.99 MSRP

Furu on
    edited May 2011
    Alternatively something about Paladin being attacked by crazy beings trying to get the spear before Odin does and Thor turns up to get the spear and then they have to fight and defeat the bad guy and then Paladin gives over the spear.

Or something that isn't "I'm Odin and I'm back *ping* got my spear right here"

Otherwise the whole "Paladin left the Thunderbolts after the final battle and hasn't been seen since, he was carrying the Odinspear..." thing was a pointless set-up. Maybe Paladin keeps the Odinspear and proves himself a hero while Odin gets a new spear.

In fact I would prefer it if Odin had not come back but whatever. The point is that there was something there, potentially, which was ignored.

Solar on
    edited May 2011
    Ooooooh! Nick Spencer is doing a New Cloak and Dagger series to tie into Spider Island. It's only a mini, but at least they can't cancel a mini... can they?

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gank wrote: »
    Ooooooh! Nick Spencer is doing a New Cloak and Dagger series to tie into Spider Island. It's only a mini, but at least they can't cancel a mini... can they?

They can reduce it to 5 issues, then 3, then make it a single.

Fencingsax on
    edited May 2011
    It is 3 issues.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Alternatively something about Paladin being attacked by crazy beings trying to get the spear before Odin does and Thor turns up to get the spear and then they have to fight and defeat the bad guy and then Paladin gives over the spear.

Or something that isn't "I'm Odin and I'm back *ping* got my spear right here"

Otherwise the whole "Paladin left the Thunderbolts after the final battle and hasn't been seen since, he was carrying the Odinspear..." thing was a pointless set-up. Maybe Paladin keeps the Odinspear and proves himself a hero while Odin gets a new spear.

In fact I would prefer it if Odin had not come back but whatever. The point is that there was something there, potentially, which was ignored.

Or they could have it where he thinks he still has the spear, tries to summon it, and hilarity ensues.

Transporter on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    They can reduce it to 5 issues, then 3, then make it a single.
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    It is 3 issues.

It's already begun!

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Am I the only one that thought Daredevil worked great as a max title the last few years? Sure shadowland went wierd but before that, it was pretty awesome.

Daredevil happy and frolicey after all the shit thats happen to him? Sorry but I have a feeling hes honestly gone crazy if he can bring himself to laugh at this point in his life.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum