As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlestar Galactica: Return of the Moustache

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Nonsense. We don't have to explain anything (though ecczi certainly has).
    Heaven forbids you would debate or discourse around here...
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    You need to explain exactly how your interpretation is compatible with [spoiler:f2601d9cbb]Gina's insistence upon her not moving to New Caprica, in a significant tone of voice prior to any sexual relations going on.[/spoiler:f2601d9cbb]
    [spoiler:f2601d9cbb]Moving to New Caprica means living with Baltar, having a real romantic and sexual relationship with him, like Six before the attack. That's something she simply couldn't do. She's just too scared from the whole Pegassus thing.[/spoiler:f2601d9cbb]
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Our scenario is clearly consistent, your scenario is, at face value at least, inconsistent.
    What scenario would that be? I just asked you to give me one, and you flatly refused!
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Also, in addition to ecczi's 3, I would speculate that [spoiler:f2601d9cbb]the timing and nature of her suicide was intended to suggest that Gina retained her allegiance to the Cylons regardless of how she acted and intimated towards Gaius[/spoiler:f2601d9cbb]
    You are assuming that
    [spoiler:f2601d9cbb]she detonated the nuke with the explicit purpose of signaling the Cylons and giving away the Colonials' new homeworld. I have seen so far no evidence of this. If anything, I've seen evidence against it - the Cylons said they detected the blast by chance.[/spoiler:f2601d9cbb]

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    ecczi. wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    at Apothe0sis & ecczi.:
    [spoiler:2ea916c076]You guys still have to explain
    1) Why Gina was crying while having sex with Baltar.
    2) Why she decided to have sex with him, even though she's still obviously scarred from what happened to her on Pegassus.
    3) When and why she decided to blow the nuke. Why now, instead of before or after?
    It's ok to disagree with me, but I'd like to know what you guys think was going through Gina's head at that moment.
    [/spoiler:2ea916c076]
    [spoiler:2ea916c076]1. Because it was their last moment together. I don't think anything hinted at her being forced by Gaius. Gaius thought that they would have all the time together on the surface of New Caprica, and I think moving was the only thing he was trying to force her to do in that scene.
    2. To show him that he meant a lot to her, maybe. Otherwise their last goodbye wouldn't be the nicest memory and Gaius could think that she was lying to him all the time, just to mess up the fleet.
    3. Because Gaius was the only thing that kept her alive? Becuase now she would have to move to New Caprica and lead a half-life hiding in a closet on Colonial One. I think that's why she has delayed her suicide until the last possible moment ("You have your orders", boom). [/spoiler:2ea916c076]

[spoiler:2ea916c076]1. You're assuming Gina had decided to kill herself before the sex with Baltar. There's no evidence for that. Her comment "I'm not moving to New Caprica" could mean that she doesn't want what comes with moving, i.e. the relationship with Baltar. That would be more consistent with Baltar's reaction.
    2. You're underestimating the trauma that being locked up and raped for months on end will have on a person. I doubt she'd be willing to have sex ever again, much less as a trivial going away present.
    3. I felt her life was picking up nicely, i.e. she wasn't living "just for Baltar". And there were still people living on the ships. Despite what Baltar said, not every last one of them moved to New Caprica.[/spoiler:2ea916c076]

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Richy wrote:
    [spoiler:f052ff0778]she detonated the nuke with the explicit purpose of signaling the Cylons and giving away the Colonials' new homeworld. I have seen so far no evidence of this. If anything, I've seen evidence against it - the Cylons said they detected the blast by chance.[/spoiler:f052ff0778]

[spoiler:f052ff0778]The fact that the other cylons weren't expecting to find some kind of nuclear blast doesn't mean that Gina's intentions weren't to signal them. When she was first sent on her mission on the Pegasus she didn't even expect she'd be alive at the point when she detonated the nuke, she was supposed to kill herself after she performed her mission on the Pegasus.

I would guess what happened was Gina knew that she couldn't settle down on New Caprica. She also knew that the planet was protected by a nebula, so if the humans actually started colonizing the Cylons would never be able to win the war (there is no indication that she knew that the Cylons had changed their minds concerning the humans). So, as a last ditch effort to alert the cylons, she detonated the nuke, knowing that it would give her cylon brethren the chance to find the planet if they stumbled upon the radiation.[/spoiler:f052ff0778]

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Gnasty wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    [spoiler:f525eed425]she detonated the nuke with the explicit purpose of signaling the Cylons and giving away the Colonials' new homeworld. I have seen so far no evidence of this. If anything, I've seen evidence against it - the Cylons said they detected the blast by chance.[/spoiler:f525eed425]

[spoiler:f525eed425]The fact that the other cylons weren't expecting to find some kind of nuclear blast doesn't mean that Gina's intentions weren't to signal them. When she was first sent on her mission on the Pegasus she didn't even expect she'd be alive at the point when she detonated the nuke, she was supposed to kill herself after she performed her mission on the Pegasus.

I would guess what happened was Gina knew that she couldn't settle down on New Caprica. She also knew that the planet was protected by a nebula, so if the humans actually started colonizing the Cylons would never be able to win the war (there is no indication that she knew that the Cylons had changed their minds concerning the humans). So, as a last ditch effort to alert the cylons, she detonated the nuke, knowing that it would give her cylon brethren the chance to find the planet if they stumbled upon the radiation.[/spoiler:f525eed425]

[spoiler:f525eed425]See, if she really wanted to tell the Cylons where New Caprica is, all she had to do was steal some jump-capable ship or shuttle, go into Cylon space, and tell them herself. The Cylons have already demonstrated an uncanny ability to move around undetected, and Gina is no exception; remember she got from her cell on Pegassus to Cain's quarters, then left Pegassus, all without anyone seeing her. And it's not that people didn't know her back there. Plus, with the colonization starting, there'll be a lot of people, stuff and ships going back and forth, so she shouldn't have trouble slipping by. This makes way more sense that detonating a nuke on the one-in-a-thousand chance that the Cylons will fly by at just the right time to see it.[/spoiler:f525eed425]

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2006
    No, dammit, they're not. They're basically altered human clones, how else could they be genetically compatible with humans to the extent of bearing children with them? Also, the metal cylons might just be simple "agent" programs or animal-like, like the raiders.

Actually, no, you're wrong. Baltar's theory (which granted, he was bullshitting at the time, but later episodes held up the truth of it) was that on the most fundamental level of matter, the Cylons were composed of synthetic materials, which showed up on a spectrographic analysis when vaporized. When he finally got around to building the damn Cylong detector on those principles, it actually worked, and determined that Sharon was a Cylon.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Richy wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Nonsense. We don't have to explain anything (though ecczi certainly has).
    Heaven forbids you would debate or discourse around here...

I was referring to the onus of proof - you're the one who needs to make your case. I was not attempting to squash discussion.
    Richy wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    You need to explain exactly how your interpretation is compatible with [spoiler:997b49a21f]Gina's insistence upon her not moving to New Caprica, in a significant tone of voice prior to any sexual relations going on.[/spoiler:997b49a21f]
    [spoiler:997b49a21f]Moving to New Caprica means living with Baltar, having a real romantic and sexual relationship with him, like Six before the attack. That's something she simply couldn't do. She's just too scared from the whole Pegassus thing.[/spoiler:997b49a21f]

[spoiler:997b49a21f]Gaius : Well...well. I think my ability see you will, no doubt be, uh, constrained by the responsibilities, uhm, requirements of my new position. Pfft, listen to me, my, my new position. Uhm, but obviously, we uhm, we will have the chance to connect, to ah, to get together again on New Caprica once-
    Gina : I'm not going to New Caprica. <flat calm, somewhat reisgned voice>
    *long pause*
    Gaius : What? What are you talking about? <surprised and confused>
    Gina : I'm not going to New Caprica. <flat but somewhat more emphatic voice>
    Gaius : We're all going; to New Caprica. All of us. Every last single one of us. It's our chance to be together, to be together again.
    Gina : No. <with soft low falling intonation>
    Gaius : I can't do this anymore.
    Gina : Stay.
    *Gaius looks puzzled*
    *Gina undresses, Gaius looks more puzzled*
    *Gaius follows Gina to bedroom*
    *Gina reaches for Gaius, running her hands over his body and pulling his face to hers*

Some significant parts are Gaius is not propositioning her, but informing her that eventually they will have a chance to meet after this period of interruption. She rejects New Caprica.

She uses low falling intonation instead of simply falling intonation when she says "No." - the former being representative of "No, you're wrong." rather than "Np, I reject you."

Finally, Gina is the sexual aggressor in this circumstance. Narrative convention as well as the nature of the character would have Gina simply submit to Gaius as he simply had his way with her, while she looked listlessly at the ceiling to signify she was coerced. Instead she was a willing participant actively reaching and participating. There is a shot when Gaius is lying on top of her, and you simply see her head/face and Gaius' neck, such a shot would be ideal for the "empty dead, I'm somewhere else" eyes instead she passionately kisses Gaius' neck.

So, in summary, ecczi and my scenario are the least complicated and most compatible with film making convention and linguistic indicators.

Though it is interesting that Gaius corrects himself from "responsibilities" to "requirements".[/spoiler:997b49a21f]
    Richy wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Our scenario is clearly consistent, your scenario is, at face value at least, inconsistent.
    What scenario would that be? I just asked you to give me one, and you flatly refused!

I endorsed ecczi's account.
    Richy wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Also, in addition to ecczi's 3, I would speculate that [spoiler:997b49a21f]the timing and nature of her suicide was intended to suggest that Gina retained her allegiance to the Cylons regardless of how she acted and intimated towards Gaius[/spoiler:997b49a21f]
    You are assuming that
    [spoiler:997b49a21f]she detonated the nuke with the explicit purpose of signaling the Cylons and giving away the Colonials' new homeworld. I have seen so far no evidence of this. If anything, I've seen evidence against it - the Cylons said they detected the blast by chance.[/spoiler:997b49a21f]
    How is that evidence against it? The motivations and actions of the other cylons have no bearing upon the situation.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    ecczi.ecczi. Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Richy wrote:
    [spoiler:7f9f00eeae]1. You're assuming Gina had decided to kill herself before the sex with Baltar. There's no evidence for that. Her comment "I'm not moving to New Caprica" could mean that she doesn't want what comes with moving, i.e. the relationship with Baltar. That would be more consistent with Baltar's reaction.
    2. You're underestimating the trauma that being locked up and raped for months on end will have on a person. I doubt she'd be willing to have sex ever again, much less as a trivial going away present.
    3. I felt her life was picking up nicely, i.e. she wasn't living "just for Baltar". And there were still people living on the ships. Despite what Baltar said, not every last one of them moved to New Caprica.[/spoiler:7f9f00eeae]
    [spoiler:7f9f00eeae]1. She already was in a romantic relationship with him, her lines in Ephiphanies hinted at her wanting to be close with him someday, she wanted the Cylons to come and save them, as in two of them.
    2. Yeah, sure, in the original script they were going to "get it on" in the cell on Pegasus, before Tricia Helfer fixed it. Same with Epiphanies.
    3. You're actually trying to tell me that Gina wanted to have anything to do with people on Cloud Nine, other than spreading Cylon propaganda? Come on.[/spoiler:7f9f00eeae]

ecczi. on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    I'm running under the assumption that fracking is spelt the way I typed it just then....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2006
    The closed captions spell it 'frak' when I watch the show. However, the closed captions have trouble spelling words like 'doubtful' and 'typewriter'.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    In the new series, the official spelling is "frakking", from "frak".
    The original series had its "frack", but it wasn't exactly a replacement for "fuck" (unless making children use it in a children's show in the 70s was a joke on the producers' side).

ecczi. on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2006
    What was it used as, then?
    As much as I love the new BSG, I just can't bring myself to watch the old one.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    It would seem that it was more like "rats" or "darn", a completely innocent expression of dissatisfaction.
    They also had "felgercarb" (replacing "bullshit", but I think it also carried less weight) and many ridiculous units of measure.

ecczi. on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    ecczi. wrote:
    It would seem that it was more like "rats" or "darn", a completely innocent expression of dissatisfaction.
    They also had "felgercarb" (replacing "bullshit", but I think it also carried less weight) and many ridiculous units of measure.

You mean the centon and micron, that could be, depending on the context, hours and minutes, minutes and seconds, or various distances?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Snork wrote:

You should, it's a fun show. Not as good as the new one, but still memorable.

But stay the frack away from Galactica 1980.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Richy wrote:
    ecczi. wrote:

You mean the centon and micron, that could be, depending on the context, hours and minutes, minutes and seconds, or various distances?
    Yahrens, sectars, sectons, centars, centons and micron, yes.
    Richy wrote:
    Snork wrote:

You should, it's a fun show. Not as good as the new one, but still memorable.
    It's "so bad it's good" at best. "The Living Legend" and "War of the Gods" gave me some good laughs, but most of the other episodes were extremely dull, and very "O_o".
    But yeah, it is memorable, it's hard to forget Adama taking a hike to Egypt... I'm sorry "Kobol", an experimetnal Viper's computer hitting on Starbuck, Galactica receiving a transmission from our moon landing, meeting Satan, and hours of footage of grown men running around empty corridors like children playing "war", only less convincing.

Though there are some things you really should see, it's fun to know how many things were referenced in the new series, like when Starbuck reunites with Galactica in her Raider, she's waggling its wings a lot - in the original that was Starbuck's "emergency plan" when he was coming back with Apollo in Baltar's Raider. Waggling.
    "Boomer: No! Don't fire! It's them!
    Adama: How do you know?
    Boomer: They're waggling!"

ecczi. on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2006
    ecczi. wrote:

OH GOD THE CENTONS, THEY BURN MY EYES.

Frakking everything was measured in centons. Time, distance, weight, velocity. Christ, it was terrible.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    I've been thinking about grabbing the movie and/or the pilot episode. I understand those had less camp.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    I have evaluated the value of watching the original BSG. I've decided no good can come of it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Altimus PrimeAltimus Prime Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    The episode of original BSG where Starbuck was stranded on an alien planet with a damaged Cylon was touching, funny and wonderfully written.

Altimus Prime on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    The episode of original BSG where Starbuck was stranded on an alien planet with a damaged Cylon was touching, funny and wonderfully written.

See the fact Starbuck was a guy then just doesn't work for me.

Katee Sackhoff all the way.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Altimus PrimeAltimus Prime Registered User regular
    edited March 2006

You've got it backwards you son of a bitch.

Altimus Prime on
  • Options
    edited March 2006

Man...what?

New BSG Starbuck:
    Sackhoff_outline.jpg

vs.

Old BSG Starbuck:
    starbuck.jpg

Even if you're gay you're wrong.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2006

Man...what?

New BSG Starbuck:
    Sackhoff_outline.jpg

vs.

Old BSG Starbuck:
    starbuck.jpg

I can't tell which one is the guy and which one is the girl.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited March 2006

Man...what?

New BSG Starbuck:
    Sackhoff_outline.jpg

vs.

Old BSG Starbuck:
    starbuck.jpg

Which is why you're wrong.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    I believe that's (Not-)BattlestarGalactica1980, not the original.
    I've been thinking about grabbing the movie and/or the pilot episode. I understand those had less camp.
    The movie is a crappier cut of the pilot episode, and the pilot episode is one of the campiest.

[spoiler:e49c424062]Fly alien things run a casino planet where everyone wins to keep people in there and feed them until they get meatier so the aliens can kidnap them in a menacing Z-grade movie fashion.

And this.
    fvg17ud.jpg[/spoiler:e49c424062]

ecczi. on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited March 2006

Sci-Fi runs both the original series and 1980s series occasionally during the mornings. Just check their schedule, one of them usually rotates in every three weeks, usually on a Tuesday.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    I really have no desire to watch the old show. I think it will just lessen my opinion of the show we've got now.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    Dark HelmetDark Helmet Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    The old show was alright. I watched it with my dad when I was a kid. My dad loved the original series, but doesn't seem to care much for the new series. Odd.

Anyhow..

[spoiler:def051ced1]I wonder what kind of shape the fleet is in? My first impression is there are not many people left, as most were on the planet. I also wonder about supplies. I wouldn't be surprised if the fleet had to abandon some of its ships because they couldn't be maintained.

Adama better find Earth soon, cause I have no idea how else he is going to be able to save the remaining colonists on New Caprica. Truth be told, dumb bastards brought it on themselves for colonizing the planet in the first place.[/spoiler:def051ced1]

And I, for one, welcome our new robotic overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their reproductive farms.

Dark Helmet on
    warrioricon4.pngrogueicon1.pngpaladinicon1.pnghuntericon2.png

And my poor Death Knight that couldn't afford an icon.
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    And I, for one, welcome our new robotic overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their reproductive farms.
    Farms are so last year, now the classic shoving penises inside toasters will be all the rage.
    Giggity, giggity, giggity.

...ouch.

ecczi. on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    The girl is the one with the boobs.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    FourthPointFourthPoint __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2006
    The old show was alright. I watched it with my dad when I was a kid. My dad loved the original series, but doesn't seem to care much for the new series. Odd.

I loved the show as a kid too. The toys were awesome! Way better quality than the Buck Rogers toys.

FourthPoint on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2006

Hmmm. It's kind of hard to distinguish breasts on the bottom picture what with the pose and the coat, but I'll assume that's the chick since the top one doesn't have any breasts worth mentioning.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited March 2006

I loved the show as a kid too. The toys were awesome! Way better quality than the Buck Rogers toys.

I had this cool launcher that was shaped like Galactica, and shot out little gliding Vipers. It was way cooler than the Dagget action figure that got lost somewhere....

Tach on
  • Options
    FourthPointFourthPoint __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2006
    Dirk Benedict's Starbuck was kinda like a blonde Han Solo type. It'd be exciting to see Dirk guest star in the new BSG.

FourthPoint on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Hmmm. It's kind of hard to distinguish breasts on the bottom picture what with the pose and the coat, but I'll assume that's the chick since the top one doesn't have any breasts worth mentioning.
    lawl

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Dirk Benedict's Starbuck was kinda like a blonde Han Solo type. It'd be exciting to see Dirk guest star in the new BSG.
    Blonde, slightly homosexual and wimpy Han Solo.
    Dirk Benedict hates the new show and Ron D. Moore's ideas for roles they could cast him in are... special and better left forgotten ("Hi, I'm God.").

ecczi. on
  • Options
    greyningreynin Registered User regular
    edited March 2006

Uh, the breasts would be large black bulge obscuring half of her left arm. Unless in order to be "worth mentioning" you want like three breasts or something.

If you'd prefer the cigar smoking chick on the bottom that's cool though dude. We're a pretty open minded and tolerant community.

greynin on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    ecczi. wrote:
    Blonde, slightly homosexual and wimpy Han Solo.
    Dirk Benedict hates the new show and Ron D. Moore's ideas for roles they could cast him in are... special and better left forgotten ("Hi, I'm God.").

Does he? I really can't understand the undying fanboyism for the old show that seems to translate directly into utter hatred of the new one. I can understand liking campy, bad shows and movies for the laugh factor, but to utterly despise something new just because it's actually good, doesn't sit right with me.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    ecczi. wrote:
    Does he?
    Oh, he does.

ecczi. on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    ecczi. wrote:
    ecczi. wrote:
    Does he?
    Oh, he does.

Wow, he sounds like a dumb, chauvinisitic asshole.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
This discussion has been closed.