As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sometimes Books Are Turned Into Things that Move...

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    All that really matters is that Peter is bullied at school, and that May and Ben are short of money. Apart from that you can dress him up how you want, and I think a more hipster look fits for him. Peter is clever and quick-witted, and in the original comics his real problem was that he couldn't keep his mouth shut! Plus he has always been made out to be at least somewhat good looking. Giving him at least some sense of style is not a terrible thing.

As long as the core of the character is there, interpretation is fun and to be encouraged. After all, the best Spider-Man of recent years is Ultimate Spidey, which was born out of innovation and re-design of the classic.

Solar on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Hippies are different from hipsters, or at least to me.

Yeah, they're older.

Centipede Damascus on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That and hipsters act like hippies, except hippies were actually poor trying not to live off their parents. Whereas hipsters thrive off the wealth of their parents while dressing like the homeless.

link: http://www.latfh.com/

cardboard delusions on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Man you can get clothes like that for cheap as hell all over the place.

Oh yeah well he's got one of them fangled ipods in his hand for teh hacking, and those glasses are probably Kenneth Cole's or somesuch.

Why, when I was a teenager......(early '00's 4 life, yo).

Peter Parker needs a trapper keeper and one of those shirts with the Looney Tunes in backwards clothes on the front, and then the back of them on the back.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • ThrackThrack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    New Green Lantern Trailer

Decent amount of new footage including the Guardians, Kilowog's voice and some Hector Hammond and his father.

Thrack on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    wow, the Guardians look a lot better than the toys led us to believe

the training session between Sinestro, Hal, and Kilowog looks like it will be fun

and we also get a hint of the Sinestro Corps!

pretty excited

Rans on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bleeding cool reports on a Green Lantern ARG advertised in today's issues.

[strike]But! If you read the site, there's a link back to Bleeding Cool's forums, claiming that the characters in the ARG hang out there. Bleeding Cool either is legitimately not in on this, or they're really, really good at playing dumb? I feel like this isn't something they'd willingly join, and I also feel like their forums are a lot more of an open space than, say, Newsarama or CBR.[/strike]

Edit: I should learn to look before leaping more. Bleeding Cool is totally in on it.

EditEdit Bleeding Cool hosts the official forums of the Newton & District Astronomers Guild!

HadjiQuest on
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thrack wrote: »

Decent amount of new footage including the Guardians, Kilowog's voice and some Hector Hammond and his father.

My favorite part about that trailer...

Green Lantern making machine guns and flamethrowers... not fists and mallets.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think I want to see this as a double feature with Transformers.

An 'Earth Goes To Shit' theme, if you will.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wishpig wrote: »

I dunno, if you'll pardon the pun that seems more of a Guy thing.

Wildcat on
    edited May 2011
    Wildcat wrote: »

I dunno, if you'll pardon the pun that seems more of a Guy thing.

It's not so much a Guy/Hal thing, as it is a common sense thing. If your fighting off a horde of killer aliens what are you going to use? Are you going to make a neon green hand to swat at them? Or are you going to make a machine gun that shoots magical green bullets of death?

It's one of the most common complaints you hear about GL. If he can make anything why does he never get creative! The obvious answer is big green hands and silly looney tune hammers are kid friendly... but now that their stepping into the PG-13 realm I'm glad to see Hal putting his ring to a more sensible use.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

edited May 2011
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree there.

Wildcat on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think it comes down to simple visual appeal

in today's special effects driven blockbuster market, what will be cooler to most people: a big boxing glove or a minigun

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011

I will agree to no such thing!

Wishpig on

edited May 2011

I will agree to no such thing!

Well then I will disagree with that, too!

In other news: Thor debuts at the top of the UK film charts, kicking the Fast and the Furious 5 off the number 1 slot. We like some cod-Sheakespear, we do.

Wildcat on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Can't wait to see Thor. Hopefully going to see it this weekend, alone if I have to.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited May 2011
    FF5 looks pretty terrible to me

So I am glad that Thor has beat it to the top spot

Solar on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So the greatest news EVER. EVVVER.

Every single Marvel animated thing EVER is coming to Netflix watch Instantly.

That's right. They're being released in reverse chronological order, starting very soon.

The ones I'm interested in though - X-Men (early 90's) and Spider-Man (90's) are coming in "early summer".

But the JACKPOT - Marvel's 1966 cartoons - come in early fall.

I still remember my dad made me a VHS (somehow) of the Spider-Man and Captain America 1966 cartoons. They are burned in my brain and actually are what got me into Superheroes in general. I am so excited to relive the blantant sexism and horrible plots of the 1960's superheroes.

Mark my words - Captain America's "Revenge of the Swordsman" episode is fucking fantastic now a days.

Swordsman breaks into the Avengers headquarters, and the first thing Cap and Hawkeye do?

Tell Scarlet Witch to leave and let the men handle it.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Swordsman breaks into the Avengers headquarters, and the first thing Cap and Hawkeye do?

Hilarious. I'm going to watch that very attentively, so I catch every racist/sexist/fascist thing that my favorite heroes say.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited May 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »

Hilarious. I'm going to watch that very attentively, so I catch every racist/sexist/fascist thing that my favorite heroes say.

"Cover your eyes, go back to the Avengers Mansion, and make me my dinner."

Wildcat on
    edited May 2011
    Monica Rambeau: Lies all the time

Solar on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I think it comes down to simple visual appeal

in today's special effects driven blockbuster market, what will be cooler to most people: a big boxing glove or a minigun

Clearly the only answer is a minigun that shoots boxing gloves made of miniguns shooting knives.

see317 on
    edited May 2011
    No one cares about the Green Lantern ARG

:(

Not even anyone on bleeding cool, in the official forum for the ARG, is actually playing along.

HadjiQuest on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, that's why the galaxy doesn't like humans. But we'll show them who's the boss (Angela).

TexiKen on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    No one cares about the Green Lantern ARG

:(

Not even anyone on bleeding cool, in the official forum for the ARG, is actually playing along.

Man I'm trying but they just make it so hard.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Whoever linked the Batman Complex trailer, better friggin make it a real movie somehow!

Watched it like 30 times, I want it to be real so bad!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, that's why the galaxy doesn't like humans. But we'll show them who's the boss (Angela).

:lol:

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Monica Rambeau: Lies all the time

Ah Nextwave, how I miss thee. Also she's not a liar, she lead the Avengers once you know.

In every sense of the word "boss". Ie: One who has authority over another...

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tom Hiddleston's Loki was fucking amazing. i hope this film launches his career

Diablo Fett on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    saw thor, really liked it, though i can understand if it's not for everyone. found it very visually engaging (though branagh has this weird obsession with tilted shots), absolutely loved the loki/thor/odin dynamic, and was pleasantly surprised at the movie's light hearted tone.

now bring on cap!

Guek on
    edited May 2011
    Thor was weird. It was good and I liked it and I can't think of anything hugely wrong with it inside of the technical limitations of a film. Like, they told the story in a really good way for establishing so much stuff, and because of that it's probably one of the best "origin" films I've ever seen, even moreso because it wasn't a linear quest narrative like a lot of origin stories are.

Everything I was worried about, Asgard and the misplaced-god humor, were actually really fantastically handled. Asgard was fucking breathtaking and incredible, and I didn't even see it in 3D.

But it still didn't click with me all that much, and it wasn't the epic I really wanted. But once again, I thought everything about it was a lot better than I expected the individual parts to be. I guess mostly I'm just let down with the story and how it progressed, I wanted this sprawling thing with an epic crescendoing ending, but that wasn't the case.

Also, the first 20 mintes of the film, even in 2D, were so dark that I couldn't differentiate characters at all because the screen was almost completely black. That kind of sucked, and if 3D films still have wicked brightness problems, then I can't even imagine what it was like for those viewers.

The couple bits put in to link it to the Avengers really felt out of place and like they had been filmed separately and cut awkwardly into the film. However, I need not even say anything but spoilers! to talk about that awesome after-credits sequence.

Good times. I knew JMS was going to cameo, and that the film was inspired by his run, but I had no idea he also contributed the story to the film. I wonder if he will come back for Thor 2.

HadjiQuest on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    as for the ending
    it was kind of a let down as far as build up goes. There wasn't some sort of grandiose, epic contest. It felt more like two brothers squabbling. That's probably exactly what they were going for though, and in that sense I think it worked. It's natural to expect the typical final battle climax, but I'm actually glad they went with something a bit different.

Speaking of the ending fight though, did anyone else catch Loki's tears shortly before they leaped at each other? It was when he was talking about jane with such disdain. I suspect the scene originally played up Loki's jealousy a bit more but got cut down.

Guek on
    edited May 2011
    Cross-post from SE++
    BELOW LIE MY OPINIONS OF THOR, THE MOTION PICTURE:
    I liked it! A whole bunch! As much as Iron Man, really. But it did have a few flaws, as well as some awesome awesome stuff to balance it out.

The performances were amazing. Hemsworth's charisma is terrifying, as was Hiddleston's sympathetic turn as Loki. I also particularly enjoyed the Warriors Three, Heimdall and Laufey. The only real weak performance(Dennigs, while annoying, played her part well) was Anthony damn Hopkins. The banishment of Thor was really the only time I thought he did a good job. Every where else he sounded tired, bored or just completely uninterested. It stood out most during the final conflict. "No, Loki." was so undersold it was ridiculous.

The dual plots of Asgard and Earth were handled pretty gracefully. The subtle references to Hulk, Iron Man and even Hawkeye's cameo were all also artfully done. While he only had like 4 lines, Renner as Hawkeye was wonderful and has me super excited for The Avengers.

The action scenes, with the exception of the initial Frost Giant army vs. Asgardian Army battle, were pretty well choreographed and each character's fighting style really showed off their personality. The best bit was when Thor just sets Mjolnir down on Loki's chest. My complaint is that there were not more fights. We get the Thor and Pals vs. Jotun fight, then nothing until Thor goes and breaks into the SHIELD Compound then the Destroyer and finally Loki and Thor's really short fight scene. I want more godbrawls dammit.

My biggest complaint is the ending. It was so weak. Not the final battle, the actual ending. Thor and Odin looking off into the distance CUT TO BLACK WHAT. I was expecting Jane to be looking up in the night sky in the middle of the desert hoping to see Thor return. She is constantly disappointed. Packs up her lawnchair and walks towards the camera. Pull in on her face. Suddenly THUNDERCRACK and KATHOOOM behind her and she smiles. CUT TO BLACK. I understand Asgard's isolation from Earth will likely be a plot point in The Avengers but the ending of Thor really suffered for it.

It sits on par with Iron Man for me.

Also did anyone else notice that Brannagh really likes titled camera angles I mean jeez

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cross-post from SE++
    I liked it! A whole bunch! As much as Iron Man, really. But it did have a few flaws, as well as some awesome awesome stuff to balance it out.

The performances were amazing. Hemsworth's charisma is terrifying, as was Hiddleston's sympathetic turn as Loki. I also particularly enjoyed the Warriors Three, Heimdall and Laufey. The only real weak performance(Dennigs, while annoying, played her part well) was Anthony damn Hopkins. The banishment of Thor was really the only time I thought he did a good job. Every where else he sounded tired, bored or just completely uninterested. It stood out most during the final conflict. "No, Loki." was so undersold it was ridiculous.

The dual plots of Asgard and Earth were handled pretty gracefully. The subtle references to Hulk, Iron Man and even Hawkeye's cameo were all also artfully done. While he only had like 4 lines, Renner as Hawkeye was wonderful and has me super excited for The Avengers.

The action scenes, with the exception of the initial Frost Giant army vs. Asgardian Army battle, were pretty well choreographed and each character's fighting style really showed off their personality. The best bit was when Thor just sets Mjolnir down on Loki's chest. My complaint is that there were not more fights. We get the Thor and Pals vs. Jotun fight, then nothing until Thor goes and breaks into the SHIELD Compound then the Destroyer and finally Loki and Thor's really short fight scene. I want more godbrawls dammit.

My biggest complaint is the ending. It was so weak. Not the final battle, the actual ending. Thor and Odin looking off into the distance CUT TO BLACK WHAT. I was expecting Jane to be looking up in the night sky in the middle of the desert hoping to see Thor return. She is constantly disappointed. Packs up her lawnchair and walks towards the camera. Pull in on her face. Suddenly THUNDERCRACK and KATHOOOM behind her and she smiles. CUT TO BLACK. I understand Asgard's isolation from Earth will likely be a plot point in The Avengers but the ending of Thor really suffered for it.

Also did anyone else notice that Brannagh really likes titled camera angles I mean jeez

uh... did you get a different ending from me?
    my ending had Thor ask Heimdall if he could see Jane, and he tells him yes, and that she's looking for him, while showing her doing her whole stormchasing thing and smiling

also the after credits scene was pretty bitchin

Diablo Fett on
    edited May 2011
    Cross-post from SE++

uh... did you get a different ending from me?
    my ending had Thor ask Heimdall if he could see Jane, and he tells him yes, and that she's looking for him, while showing her doing her whole stormchasing thing and smiling

also the after credits scene was pretty bitchin
    My brain may have farted and mixed up the last two scenes

still a weak ending

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man the one theme running through all of the superhero movies to date seems to be that no one has enough fights.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Cap movie better be all about the fighting.

TexiKen on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey, those of you who've seen the movie: what do you think about this NYTimes review of it?

The reviewer seems really angry, and it looks like he feels he got ripped off, which makes me feel bad for him. At the same time, a lot of the complaints kinda sound like nonsense, or at least like he was going into the movie wanting to hate it. But then, maybe I'm just in defensive-fanboy mode (I haven't seen the movie yet, so can't judge).

Delduwath on
    edited May 2011
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Hey, those of you who've seen the movie: what do you think about this NYTimes review of it?

The reviewer seems really angry, and it looks like he feels he got ripped off, which makes me feel bad for him. At the same time, a lot of the complaints kinda sound like nonsense, or at least like he was going into the movie wanting to hate it. But then, maybe I'm just in defensive-fanboy mode (I haven't seen the movie yet, so can't judge).

Don't ever trust the NYtimes reviews... they are a bunch of snotty SOBs. The person who reviewed game of thrones pretty much said it was only good for D&D nerds and kids.

Wishpig on

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh yes, I remember that! That was pretty awesome.

Delduwath on