As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I just buried a person

Indie WinterIndie Winter die KräheRudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Social Entropy++
like, literally buried someone.

I shovelled some earth up, put the body in, shovelled some earth back down, covered everything up.

and the thing is, I didn't even know who she was. The person I was burying, that is. I was only asked to help because I happened to walk by and they were a man short of a minyan.

strange times.

so lets talk about the wondrous, fragile thing that is Life.

or, you know, make poop jokes. Whatever.

wY6K6Jb.gif
Indie Winter on

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i was a pallbearer at my grandads funeral 3 weeks ago

every night since i have lain awake terrified of death, which is certain

Beasteh on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    I was going to ask 'on purpose?'

but apparently it was, so

burying people, huh. More or less fun than digging them up?
    (generally less, I would think).

tynic on
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    my great grandmas funeral was a week ago, she was 101 years old

they didn't even put the casket in the ground, we just looked at it and then left the graveyard

in movies they put the casket in the ground while the people are there

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ubik wrote: »

they didn't even put the casket in the ground, we just looked at it and then left the graveyard

drive-by mourning

"ok, we're at the graveyard. is the casket there?"

"yup, I can see it from the windo-"

"ok, that's good enough. DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE"

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    say your prayers walkin, father

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    alright

so, were you just walking around a cemetary or...otherwise you may have been a party to something horrible

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    actually I was walking down the street

and the wake was just leaving the house, and they saw me walking

and they asked if I could help them out because they were a man short of ten

and I said yes

when a crows of teary eyed people all look at you expectantly, while their loved one sits in the funeral home waiting to be buried, one cannot easily refuse

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    alright

so, were you just walking around a cemetary or...otherwise you may have been a party to something horrible

this is my thought. was she in a coffin, dressed in her Sunday Best, or were you in the woods, burying a hooker

edit:alright, answer given

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited May 2011
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    alright

this is my thought. was in a coffin, dressed in her Sunday Best, or were you in the woods, burying a hooker

look, when Fat Tony asks you for a favor

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

and I said yes

when a crows of teary eyed people all look at you expectantly, while their loved one sits in the funeral home waiting to be buried, one cannot easily refuse

ok that's good

your original description of the experience made it sound like you helped some asshole hide evidence of a murder

MrMonroe on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    what's cocaine like?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited May 2011
    I sell cocaine and cocaine accessories

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

and I said yes

This was a perfect typo for you.

Langly on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When I die I want my friends and family to book my appearance as a parachutist to land at halftime during a high school football game. Then during halftime, I want them to push my corpse out of the plane without a parachute.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
    edited May 2011
    #pipe wrote: »

excuse me i have something in my eye

Beasteh on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

I... I have something in my eye.

No, wait, just tears. Carry on.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Beasteh wrote: »

excuse me i have something in my eye

it's the comments that get me.

#pipe on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ubik wrote: »

When we buried my father 5 years ago, we lowered the casket into the ground.

With ropes, none of that hand-crank bullshit you sometimes see in movies and on tv.

Then we (the closest family) stood by the grave while people stood in line to offer their condolances.

And then we left. I don't know if they filled the hole manually or with a small excavator.

Ivar on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It bothers me that people use an excavator or similar equipment to bury a loved one.

I understand not wanting to dig up the grave; that's a job in itself. But filling it up isn't nearly so, with a few folks with shovels. Using a big machine to do it instead just seems disrespectful to me.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've always thought burials were selfish. Like, there's only so much space to bury people. What happens when we run out? Just harvest my organs and give them to someone to better their life and then cremate my remains and flush me down a toilet or something.

SeñorAmor on
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    about 2 months ago i cut short a holiday in japan to come back for the anniversary of the death of one of my closest friends, and we buried his ashes. was just me and my brother, and his parents
    for a long time they werent sure what to do with the ashes, where we should scatter them or whatever
    at least this way theres a place to go visit
    which is nice because its kinda something even though it all feels like grasping at straws

burying him didnt take long it was just a small metal box about the same size you would get a nice bottle of whiskey in

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
    edited May 2011
    as someone who has seen a fair few loved ones die over the years i am not sure why i am still freaked out by the process of dying

my mother and uncle both died of cancer, in their late 20s, in the same year (1989)

my cousin ben died of a heroin overdose, aged 21, the week of my birthday in 2005

my grandad died of heart failure, aged 84, on april the 5th this year

Beasteh on
    edited May 2011
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    I've always thought burials were selfish. Like, there's only so much space to bury people. What happens when we run out? Just harvest my organs and give them to someone to better their life and then cremate my remains and flush me down a toilet or something.

It'll take a very long time before we run out of burial space.

At the moment, the entire human population could fit, just barely, into the landspace of Los Angeles.

Goatmon on

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

We all turn into worm poop in the end?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh man, funerals. I've only ever been to one - for my grandfather. It was super emotional and one of the maybe three times in my life I've seen my dad cry. Not an experience I'm looking forward to repeat.

godmode on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've actually never been to a funeral.

Missed all my grandparents' funerals, and now they're all dead.

That must mean I'm a terrible person.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited May 2011
    my grandad sang in a male voice choir

they all attended his funeral, in full kit, and sang a few hymns

it was the hardest thing to hear knowing my grandads voice would never be part of it again

Beasteh on
    edited May 2011
    I'm sure they felt the same way, Beasteh. :(

Goatmon on

edited May 2011
    End wrote: »

We all turn into worm poop in the end?

ashes to ashes

dust to dust

poop to poop

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Beasteh wrote: »
    as someone who has seen a fair few loved ones die over the years i am not sure why i am still freaked out by the process of dying

my mother and uncle both died of cancer, in their late 20s, in the same year (1989)

my cousin ben died of a heroin overdose, aged 21, the week of my birthday in 2005

my grandad died of heart failure, aged 84, on april the 5th this year

I've had several relatives die and yet I'm not freaked out by death. Both my maternal grandparents have died, and my mother had a late-term miscarriage. I was old enough to be affected by the miscarriage, but too young to be strongly affected by it. My grandmother passed before my grandfather and I'll go the rest of my life feeling like a complete shitheel for the way me and my sister treated her when she would babysit us. We were only 8 or 9 when she died, but I know there were several times we made her cry because of the way we acted. Not out of malice, but simply out of the way two 8 year old kids would act. I'm now 31 and to this day my biggest regret is not having the chance to apologize to her.

My grandfather pretty much lost it after his wife of a billion years died and we ended up having to put him in a home. The tragedy was him going from the smartest person I've met to a senile, demented old man in the span of a year. Morbid as it is to say, his passing was actually something of a blessing.

When my wife's grandparents passed, the same thing happened. Her grandfather passed first, and her grandmother lost the will to live. The woman was amazing and the rapidity of her decline was a tragic thing to witness. I hope that my wife passes before I do because I wouldn't want her to suffer having to deal with my death.

SeñorAmor on
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't know if I want to live past 40. That's so old.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Funerals are the worst. Years back, my family and I went to the Philippines for a visit back home, the first time in like 7 years, and my grandpa died the day before my birthday, sothat was kinda terrible. Spent the next couple days at a funeral home for the viewing, since that's the tradition back home

Also bad is not being there for a loved ones funeral. My other grandpa died a few years later over the summer and me, my Sis, and dad couldn't get back home to the Philippines for the funeral, only my mom flew home absolutely devastated.

My one surviving grandma will never die, I hope. She's a tough old gal

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    darklite_x wrote: »
    I don't know if I want to live past 40. That's so old.

Wait until you are 39 then report back.

jackal on
    edited May 2011
    Only one member of my family has died while I've been around.

My great grandmother.

she died at 98 when I was 16.

She always loved watching me play music and whenever we'd visit, I'd take my horn and play whatever I'd been practicing.

I played Amazing Grace at her funeral.

If you've ever tried to keep a viable embouchure while choking back tears, you know where I'm coming from.

#pipe on
  • POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    my mom passed away almost exactly a year ago

she'd been diagnosed with thyroid cancer just before the start of april

the last time i saw her alive was on mother's day

i couldn't make it home fast enough when she was fading in the hospital, she went so quickly

i will spend the rest of my life hating myself for this

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

This, on the other hand...

Aneurhythmia on
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've been a pallbearer three times.

My maternal grandfather, whom I knew very well, and it was very difficult. I was 16
    My paternal grandmother, whom I didn't know very well at all, but still family. I was 17, I think.
    A close friend from high school, who killed himself. I was 19. The funeral was on Dec 31, 1999.

redfenix on
    edited May 2011
    oh god

i remember that

Beasteh on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've buried several people in my life and been a pall bearer for just as many. I haven't dug a grave or filled one in since 2007 and that one was a right pain in the ass.

Has anyone mentioned that the last WWI combat vet has passed away in Australia?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/04/501364/main20059904.shtml

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png