As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Essential Handheld Games For PAX

Game Show ManGame Show Man Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in PAX Archive
I wasn't entirely sure where to post this, so I decided to put it here, considering that the whole point of me doing this was for PAX.

As has been suggested for those going up to PAX, and after not having a Nintendo handheld for a long time (my last one was the Game Boy Pocket), I finally decided to get myself a DS. I opted for a DSi XL, as I decided $250 was too much to pay for what is essentially a gimmick in the 3DS (it's a neat gimmick, but not enough to make me shell out the extra money, especially with only a handful of games available).

Since the whole point of having a DS is to play games with folks you meet in line, what games would you guys recommend picking up? I've already scored New Super Mario Bros. (love the Wii version), Puzzle Quest 2, Wheel of Fortune (I AM the Game Show Man, after all. :D) and a used copy of Tetris DS. I've also downloaded Dark Void Zero.

Any other recommendations?

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel

captvangin@aol.com
www.facebook.com/GameShowMan

"Go get my space-battlecruiser. I wanna go blow some shizznit up."
Game Show Man on

• Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did I see Mario Kart on that list? No? Mario Kart!!!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Right now the only DS games good for MP I've got are Dragon Quest 9 (which I've pretty much played out completely) and Tetris Party. Used to have Mario Kart but my shoulder buttons went out which means I can't snake anymore.

Other good MP games are Pokemon W/B (if you like that sort of thing), and since you're the Game Show Man, I think there's a Press Your Luck game on DS as well.

Mostly I'll have my PSP out, with some Patapon 3, Gods Eater, Monster Hunter and Valkyria Chronicles 2.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ...and since you're the Game Show Man, I think there's a Press Your Luck game on DS as well.

Bloody heck, I should've thought of Mario Kart. Been a fan of the series since all the way back on the SNES. Will definitely score that one.

Good on you for thinking of me with PYL. Unfortunately, having played the Wii version, and knowing the developer's reputation for piss-poor console adaptations, I suspect the DS version won't be any better.

Game Show Man on
    captvangin@aol.com

• Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Get dragonquest 9 there will probably be tons of map's shared again this year. Make sure you play it enough to get to the main tavern so you can get maps before PAX.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This will be my first PAX. I was wondering what PSP games should I bring? I already own Peace Walker, Burnout, Rock Band Unplugged, and Gran Turismo. Any multi player games that would be smart to pick up for multiplayer

sarge1445 on
    I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Duct tape a Nintendo DS to it.

Seriously, you'll get use out of a PSP just fine, but for the global use and play and "full experience" of handheld gaming at PAX, you'll really want to show up with a DS.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    DannicusDannicus [E] Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just thought it should be mentioned that for those with a 3DS, Street Fighter 3D is a must at PAX. Even if you don't play the game heads up, the Street Pass figure battles are going to be fast and furious.

Dannicus on
  • Options
    AlatheiaAlatheia Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd like to point out that you can borrow games from the lovely enforcers running the handheld desk as well. You just have to trade your ID as collateral.

Alatheia on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Infidel wrote: »
    Duct tape a Nintendo DS to it.

Seriously, you'll get use out of a PSP just fine, but for the global use and play and "full experience" of handheld gaming at PAX, you'll really want to show up with a DS.
    Well that is bummer for myself I was hoping for some other Peace Walker fans, guess Ill just have to stick to SSF4 and Mario Kart

sarge1445 on
    I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • Options
    ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You should be seeing some Dissidia action as well this coming PAX. A new one comes out in July I believe. Fear not PSP users, there's still something for you to do ;)

Scoots on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Scoots wrote: »
    You should be seeing some Dissidia action as well this coming PAX. A new one comes out in July I believe. Fear not PSP users, there's still something for you to do ;)

Ah jeez, another Dissidia? Isn't that, like, the third one in a year?

Anyway, I'll have Peace Walker as well...though right now I seem to have lost most of my UMDs suddenly. Hahaha...:cry:

EDIT:
    ...ha HA! Found 'em!

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I expect I'll be spending nearly all my handheld time playing Super Street Fighter IV and Star Fox 64 3D, if it comes out in time.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Scoots wrote: »
    I could see twisted metal going over well

sarge1445 on
    I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • Options
    AnorornAnororn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Games with tag modes tend to do well at PAX. Pokémon B/W, Dragon Quest 9 (though I think some of the other DQ games have a tag mode of some kind), The World Ends With You, and just about anything the 3DS can do should have plenty of responders.

I'm not as familiar with the PSP, so I don't know of anything that has a tag mode in it (assuming any of them do). Does anyone know of any PSP games with tag mode?

Anororn on
  • Options
    Lynx_Lynx_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I played a *TON* of Monster Rancher DS at the last PAX. The multiplayer isn't that robust, but it's a great game to play in really short bursts (so when waiting in line for a few minutes, or waiting for your friends to meet you somewhere, etc).

Does anyone still play Mario Kart at PAX? We tried to get a game going last year in the HH lounge, and we only managed to wrangle 4 after several announcements of LFG.

Lynx_ on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Gods Eater Burst has a tag mode for trading avatars, and I hope to get a lot of 'em for my team to take out Venus!

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So this will be my first PAX, and I don't actually have a DS yet. I'm planning on picking one up on craigslist in the next few weeks and start stocking up on games. Which model do you guys recommend? I'm leaning towards a DSi (non XL), but would like to hear what you guys think are the pros/cons of the other models.

Swae on
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Swae wrote: »
    So this will be my first PAX, and I don't actually have a DS yet. I'm planning on picking one up on craigslist in the next few weeks and start stocking up on games. Which model do you guys recommend? I'm leaning towards a DSi (non XL), but would like to hear what you guys think are the pros/cons of the other models.

I second all these questions. The Wife and I are considering splitting a DS (she get's the top screen....) Seriously though, we can only afford 1 and a few games to pass back and forth.
    A) is it worth it then.
    B) Will be OK just getting whatever the cheapest model of the moment (possible used)
    C) Any other reccomendations. I seriously haven't bought a handheld since my GBavance (and color before that.)

tsrblke on
  • Options
    kurnkurn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I bet there is going to be a spike in DS sales the next couple of months :)

I just picked up a DSi.

apscience.jpg

kurn on
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    kurn wrote: »

I just picked up a DSi.

apscience.jpg

OK, not to constantly be all up in this thread. But where do I get one of those? The Wife and I are huge portal fans, and if I can sell her on an expensive "Your trusted friend in Science" coffee Mug, I'm sure I an sell her on something that looks like that.

tsrblke on
  • Options
    kurnkurn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    tsrblke wrote: »

I just picked up a DSi.

OK, not to constantly be all up in this thread. But where do I get one of those? The Wife and I are huge portal fans, and if I can sell her on an expensive "Your trusted friend in Science" coffee Mug, I'm sure I an sell her on something that looks like that.

I made it. I put the image together and had the skin made here:
    http://www.uniqueskins.com/Products/Nintendo/Custom+Nintendo+DSi+XL+Skin?t=c

There's also a skin on the bottom.

kurn on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I second all these questions. The Wife and I are considering splitting a DS (she get's the top screen....) Seriously though, we can only afford 1 and a few games to pass back and forth.
    A) is it worth it then.
    B) Will be OK just getting whatever the cheapest model of the moment (possible used)
    C) Any other reccomendations. I seriously haven't bought a handheld since my GBavance (and color before that.)

Any model but the original DS Phat should be fine. If you have GBA games you want to play, the GBA slot is only on the Phat and the DS Lite. The DSi has both a camera and a better online system than the previous models, and the DSi XL is a larger version of that, which can be good if you have larger hands (DISCLAIMER: I don't have personal experience with either DSi model, so see if you can test them before buying one). Other than that, though, they'll all play DS games well enough. The 3DS still looks to be somewhat pricey, so if you're under a budget, it might be better to give it a pass for now.

As for if it's worth it to get one, I'd ask if you think you'll continue using it after PAX. There's a ton of great games for it, both single and multi-player, but if you're busy 24/7, then it might be better to look into other things to do in line. That said, I would imagine that two people could share it well enough. Any non-original DS should be fine (the original DS Phat is kinda bulky and heavy, has crappy back lights, and is old enough that the battery is likely almost gone). Nothing specific comes to mind, recommendation-wise, other than games, but that'll depend on what kinds of games you like.

Anororn on
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

I went back and forth between a DSi and a XL and ended up with the XL and am really glad I did. A Friend who's DSi I was using to compare went and upgraded theirs to an XL shortly after because they liked it so much more. It may be bigger but don't belive the people who say you need giant hands etc to use it and it still fits in my pockets just fine as well.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    outphaseoutphase Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    I went for the first time last year. The two big games people played were Mario Kart and Tetris. What's nice is that you don't need the cart to play those multiplayer. Someone will be bound to have one.

outphase on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    outphase wrote: »
    I went for the first time last year. The two big games people played were Mario Kart and Tetris. What's nice is that you don't need the cart to play those multiplayer. Someone will be bound to have one.

hmm not sure if the 3ds has download play

sarge1445 on
    I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • Options
    PinkRangerPinkRanger Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I believe the 3DS does have it. I just got a 3DS and I remember it saying something about download play.

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

Find me on twitter- @pink_4ssass1n
    and twitch- twitch.tv/pink_4ssass1n
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I can verify that the 3DS has download play. Works just fine with a regular DS, too.

Anororn on
  • Options
    DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I just picked up a DSi.

I made it. I put the image together and had the skin made here:
    http://www.uniqueskins.com/Products/Nintendo/Custom+Nintendo+DSi+XL+Skin?t=c

There's also a skin on the bottom.

Wow! That is awesome work! I would love a skin like that on my DS, and I never like putting skins on my handhelds.

Nice job!

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    https://www.intoroskins.co.uk/shop-collection/portable-games-skins/193/

This is a UK company that makes skins. The link above is for DS and PSP skins. You can make your own. I have a code for you to get 20% off the price too. If you want the code, PM me and I will give it to you.

They will ship to the US

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

• Options
    edited May 2011
    im really hoping for the peace walker and twisted metal fans to be out and about

sarge1445 on
    I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • Options
    automaticjimautomaticjim Tampa, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll have my PSP and DS in tow!

automaticjim on

See you at PAX Prime!
    Twitter - Automaticjim
    Steam - Outbreak

If you’re winning, play safe and keep the game clean and simple. If you are losing, take risks and complicate the game.
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The mobile game I'm going to be playing the heck out of will be everything StreetPass. :-)

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    afipanicafipanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I will have my newly purchased 3DS so I'll be looking for some SSFIV people and of course StreetPass!
    Of course will also have a massive haul of DS games and my girlfriend is bringing my DSi.

Can't wait!

afipanic on
    Next PAX: West 2017!
    Flight: [X]
    Lodging: [X]
    Passes: [X]
    Excitement: [10/10]
  • Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i'll stick with games on my HD7! :)

thegh0sts on
    Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Still not convinced on 3DS. so far not much for games, and it gives wife a headache when doing 3D and I don't see 3D all that way. plus the screen is SO SMALL :) I love my XL :)

Solelron on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Solelron wrote: »
    Still not convinced on 3DS. so far not much for games, and it gives wife a headache when doing 3D and I don't see 3D all that way. plus the screen is SO SMALL :) I love my XL :)

DSi XL for the win. The 3DS is too expensive and not enough games available to be worth it, so I picked up an XL.

Game Show Man on
    captvangin@aol.com

• Options
    edited June 2011
    I mainly got the 3ds for Zelda which comes out this month. Can't wait!

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No PSP love? I'm behind on what's come out. I haven't updated my library since the last PAX >.>

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    HollenheimHollenheim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll have to check what good PSP multiplayer games are out, I mean once the Sony store is back up... : )

EDIT: I believe you can get Modnation racers and LBP for free as part of that whole fiasco, both good multiplayer games!

Hollenheim on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hollenheim wrote: »
    I'll have to check what good PSP multiplayer games are out, I mean once the Sony store is back up... : )

EDIT: I believe you can get Modnation racers and LBP for free as part of that whole fiasco, both good multiplayer games!

Peace Walker is amazing

sarge1445 on
    I AM THE VAMPIRE