As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Hobbit] Rough cut is in the wild!

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't think he does Variable. Both Yoda and Obi Wan looked as they did when they died. They didn't replace Guinness did they?

iguanacus on
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    but hayden christensen does make sense in rotj

I wouldn't mind any changes like that to be honest.

Hayden Christensen never makes sense.

Slider on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, Ben got a pretty raw deal on that one if so.

"Seriously?! You got dropped into lava and you're like 60 years old, and you look like that? I fucking martyred myself for your dumb kid, and I have to go through the afterlife looking like a diner at an early-bird special! The fuck, man?"

Atomika on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    he looked like he did before the dark side corrupted him

bros

... sorry I just need to be able to watch the OT without flipping out so I've made some excuses in my head. sometimes they slip out.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited April 2011

bros

... sorry I just need to be able to watch the OT without flipping out so I've made some excuses in my head. sometimes they slip out.

You should look into getting the dvd set of the OT that contains the unadulterated versions. Posterity and the fate of future generations demand it.

Atomika on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You should look into getting the dvd set of the OT that contains the unadulterated versions. Posterity and the fate of future generations demand it.

I'm old school, my prefered version of the OT is the Widescreen Laserdisc pressing, complete with Dolby AC-3 encoding. Lacks some of the lfe punch of the redone (i.e, theatrically re-released version) version widely available on DVD, but it's the only way to watch the complete untouched OT in widescreen w/ surround sound.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited April 2011

I'm old school, my prefered version of the OT is the Widescreen Laserdisc pressing, complete with Dolby AC-3 encoding. Lacks some of the lfe punch of the redone (i.e, theatrically re-released version) version widely available on DVD, but it's the only way to watch the complete untouched OT in widescreen w/ surround sound.

How can that be?

Lucas assured us all that that version of the OT was lost in a massive fire. A fire so large it also consumed his integrity and artistic talent.

Atomika on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How can that be?

Lucas assured us all that that version of the OT was lost in a massive fire. A fire so large it also consumed his integrity and artistic talent.

Not to go too far off topic for the Hobbit thread, but basically:

Lucasfilms did a full non-digital cleaning of the prints for the 1993 "Definitive" Edition on Laserdisc (the version of the trilogy I own). While it's non-anamorphic like the DVD version, it still looks damn nice even in an analog format.

When he got the bug up his ass to do the 1997 theatrical re-release he went back in the vault and claimed a lot of the negatives were badly degraded, too much so for a full digital transfer and remaster. So he said fuck it and cut the original negatives to put in the new special effects and scenes, he also grabbed up all the release prints of the original films he could find and burned them up so he'd have "full" control of all prints known.

I'm sure that there are versions of the interpositives or good quality negatives of the orginals still around, but they don't represent his "vision" so I don't think they'll come out of the vaults till he kicks it or gives over control of Lucasfilms to someone else.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Let's stop talking about bad things and start talking about how excited we are for the Hobbit and it's sets and the actors and the costumes and the props and and and

I'm super glad to see them using animatronics still. You can trust Peter Jackson to go for the authentic hands-on special effects.

Mars on
    edited April 2011
    I'm assuming the extensive name-dropping of Elrond i n the video means that Jackson is planning on bringing back Hugo Weaving. Considering he's one of the only characters in both The Hobbit and LOTR novels, it would only seem appropriate to have him return.

You know, since everyone from LOTR seems to be coming back for this film whether they should be there or not.

Atomika on
    edited April 2011

bros

I have it

I was already scarred though

Variable on
    edited April 2011
    yeah the laserdisc is the best version that exists

Variable on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really wish they'd keep the sets like Rivendell or Bag End and put them somewhere people could walk through. They're just so beautifully done

Veevee on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Veevee wrote: »
    I really wish they'd keep the sets like Rivendell or Bag End and put them somewhere people could walk through. They're just so beautifully done

I really don't see why not. What are they gonna do with the sets afterwards anyway?

Maybe they'll end up in some kind of perpetual museum tour arrangement, like King Tut.

Linespider5 on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

I really don't see why not. What are they gonna do with the sets afterwards anyway?

Maybe they'll end up in some kind of perpetual museum tour arrangement, like King Tut.

Like the original LOTR sets, which these are exact replicas of, these will be torn down and destroyed per movie industry standard.

My nerdy wet dream is these sets being arranged in a King Tut style museum arrangement where you walk through the sets in chronological order. The key though would be having both the large and small versions of sets like Bag End to demonstrate just how small hobbits are.

Veevee on
    edited April 2011
    Like the original LOTR sets, which these are exact replicas of, these will be torn down and destroyed per movie industry standard.

My nerdy wet dream is these sets being arranged in a King Tut style museum arrangement where you walk through the sets in chronological order. The key though would be having both the large and small versions of sets like Bag End to demonstrate just how small hobbits are.

Actually, if you listen to the director/writer's commentaries on the Extended Edition DVD's, Peter mentions a couple of times that while most of the sets were destroyed/recycled, he personally kept a version (can't remember if it's the up-scaled, or smaller version) of Bag End for himself, to eventually turn into the most meta-man cave in existence.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had thought they had converted some of the sets into more long term tourist destinations, although I could be wrong.

I did use to drive by the former sites of some of the Shire sets, but they'd all been removed by that time

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

How can that be?

...actually that sounds like a pretty small fire.

JihadJesus on
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just watched that Vlog...wow. Seeing one of the first actual pieces of filming w/ Bilbo picking up the ring, then the opening lines voiced by Freeman...the hype train has left the station. Going to be a long trip, this one...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    JihadJesus wrote: »

How can that be?

Before I die I'd like to see Star Wars remade.

Speaker on
    edited April 2011
    Speaker wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »

How can that be?

Before I die I'd like to see Star Wars remade.

I'm sure you'll get this if you live for another twenty years.

Linespider5 on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No - I mean not by Lucas or his company.

Speaker on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    As a non-fan of the series, it would be interesting to see Star Wars remade, without Lucas's involvement, by someone that grew up a fan of the original movies.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Speaker wrote: »
    No - I mean not by Lucas or his company.

Again. Twenty years. By that time Lucas will be pushing ninety, if he's still around.

I'm pretty sure even if Lucasfilm still has the rights, which it will, things will be restructured to the point that a new outside director would be welcomed.

Hell, it might even be Peter Jackson. Twenty years is a long time, you know.

Linespider5 on
    edited May 2011
    Quick casting updates:

- Lee Pace (Ned in Pushing Daisies) is set to play elf-king Thranduil, lord of Mirkwood and father to Legolas.
    - Kiwi actor Dean O'Gorman will be replacing Rob Kazinsky as Fili, due to Kazinsky backing out for "personal reasons." Jackson stated that most of Fili's part has yet to be filmed, so no major reshoots will be necessary.
    - Saoirse Ronan will not be joining the production in the role of Itaril after all, as her scheduling will not permit it. No word yet on whether the role will be re-cast or written out.
    - Hugo Weaving (Elrond in LOTR) is on-set in Wellington, with photographic evidence. No offical statement on his returning to the elfin role has been made, though one would expect that to come shortly.
    - "The Hobbit" production staff have confirmed the presence of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost at the studios in Wellington. No comment was given in regard to whether they have roles in the film, or if they were just visiting.
    - Both Orlando Bloom and Sir Christopher Lee has recently very strongly inferred that they will be "busy abroad" for some time to come, and "cannot comment" on any potential involvement in The Hobbit production.

Atomika on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Simon Pegg and Nick Frost should be the trolls!

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Christopher Lee looked quite frail at the BAFTA awards at which he was given a Fellowship this year. I hope his health allows him to be involved.

Bogart on
    edited May 2011
    Bogart wrote: »
    Christopher Lee looked quite frail at the BAFTA awards at which he was given a Fellowship this year. I hope his health allows him to be involved.

I have to think any potential work he does on The Hobbit will strictly be done sitting down, or (like in ROTS and AOTC) mostly done by digital double.

It wouldn't surprise me if he went to Wellington for little more than some costume fittings, vocal recordings, and body scanning. Lee was already significantly physically limited during the LOTR production, and that wa 10 years ago.

But if they can get him for Saruman again, that would be pretty great on several levels.

Atomika on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You know what would be kind of cool, if they did a Winklevii type solution where they digitally put his head on some other dude's shoulders.
    poshniallo wrote: »

Holy crap that would be awesome. Although who would you get for the third troll?

Centipede Damascus on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You know what would be kind of cool, if they did a Winklevii type solution where they digitally put his head on some other dude's shoulders.

Holy crap that would be awesome. Although who would you get for the third troll?

Bill Bailey.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Bill Bailey.

This is correct.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ned as Thranduil is fantastic! We just finished watching Pushing Daises a few months ago, which he was really great in. So huzzah for the return of the pie maker.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
    edited May 2011
    Ian McKellen on his blog today confirmed working with Sylvester McCoy, Bret Mackenzie, and . . . Hugo Weaving in the role of Elrond. Still no official comment on Weaving's participation, though at this point I think Jackson is just fucking with people.

Also, Martin Freeman is taking a scheduled brief hiatus back to London for some obligatory work on his Sherlock Holmes series. This was incorporated into the schedule long in advance, so no worries here. Non-Bilbo based shooting will continue as planned.

Atomika on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's cool, the modern Holmes was good

Cabezone on
    edited May 2011
    Some fun casting news today.

The role of "Master of Laketown," a fairly small role in the book, is to be played by none other than Stephen Fry. No word yet on if the role will be expanded in the film.

Atomika on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

The role of "Master of Laketown," a fairly small role in the book, is to be played by none other than Stephen Fry. No word yet on if the role will be expanded in the film.

Well, there's that long-standing "Stephen Fry is involved in some fashion" rumor taken care of.

You know, I really wouldn't mind if Jackson deviates from the book quite a bit. The Lord of the Rings books showed that he definitely stayed true to the spirit of the books while making them rollicking movies. I can't really think of a major change that wasn't either innocuous or an improvement (when it came to adapting the flick to the screen, at least), other than maybe the elves showing up for Helm's Deep.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A lot of the changes to The Two Towers were unnecessary: making Faramir fall for the ring, making Treebeard and the Ents decide not to ride onto Isengard only until they saw the burned forest, Aragorn falling off of a cliff for no fucking reason...

SithDrummer on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah, I did not enjoy the Two Towers, but I loved the first one to death and enjoyed the third.

Xaquin on
    edited May 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Well, there's that long-standing "Stephen Fry is involved in some fashion" rumor taken care of.

You know, I really wouldn't mind if Jackson deviates from the book quite a bit. The Lord of the Rings books showed that he definitely stayed true to the spirit of the books while making them rollicking movies. I can't really think of a major change that wasn't either innocuous or an improvement (when it came to adapting the flick to the screen, at least), other than maybe the elves showing up for Helm's Deep.

I think having the elves at Helm's Deep was a decent answer to the question of, "Hey, why the fuck aren't you helping us, you elfin jerkwads?" that would have existed otherwise.

Without at least a modicum of military support and sacrifice, the elves kinda come off as holier-than-thou douchebags who just run away right when Middle Earth needs them most.

Atomika on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Which is what the elves are, mostly.

SithDrummer on