As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SUUuuuUUPER MEAT BOY!] Level editor beta released on Steam!

• DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man fuck this game, finally finished it but it took forever. And now my OCD is forcing me to 100% it.... Chapter 1 done :x

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jesus, Josh. Where the hell did you skim off those five seconds on 6-5? That's one of the few times of yours I've seen that just completely baffled me.

Also, the boss fight in that world amused me. I'm assuming I'm not the only one who figured out how
    to jump past the right wall of saws and then easily get until near the end of the level and then just wait for them to arrive to jump back over them for the final room.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The game has been updated. The site has the rundown. Lots of new levels to play!

ContentContext on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just in case you can't click that link for whatever reason, the level editor is out on Steam! The Portal is up and running! You can make individual levels, or join them in a set in whatever order you like. In order to do that, you need to upload all the individuals up to the Portal, and then select the ones you want (minimum of 5). You can force players to use a particular character if you so desire. You can make anything you saw in the game with the exception of bosses and warp zones.

Gonna go fire it up now!

EDIT: You can't access the editor from the game itself, you need to go to the Tools section in Steam.

EDIT EDIT: But you can't do that yet. Steam is supposed to get that up today, but in the meantime you have to use the old -devmode method to get into the editor.

joshofalltrades on
  • never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sometimes it really sucks to be a console gamer :(

never-ending-reign on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For what it's worth, pretty much every computer can run SMB at some graphics setting.

Turkey on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Turkey wrote: »
    For what it's worth, pretty much every computer can run SMB at some graphics setting.

My current one can't!:x I really wanted to tinker with the level editor too. Oh well I just ordered a new one.

SkutSkut on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SkutSkut wrote: »

My current one can't!:x I really wanted to tinker with the level editor too. Oh well I just ordered a new one.

Because it's like ten years old? Because there is physical damage to your hardware? I run it on a crappy Intel GMA.

Frem on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Holy shit, did anyone else see the no deaths run of The Kid's warp zone that the SMB guys linked on their site? Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTxhXvYcJv8&feature=player_embedded

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited May 2011
    Frem wrote: »

Because it's like ten years old? Because there is physical damage to your hardware? I run it on a crappy Intel GMA.

A bit of both! And that No Death The Kid was nuts.

SkutSkut on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not as impressive as no-deaths IWBTG.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh, Adus.

You didn't think you would escape my notice, did you?

joshofalltrades on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Damn dude! Not even with the insanely low graphics setting they added a few months ago?

Turkey on
  • MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i look at that no-deaths video and all i see is

CAMCORDER
    CAMCORDER
    CAMCORDER

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
    edited May 2011

Damn dude! Not even with the insanely low graphics setting they added a few months ago?

It crashes on start up. Before I put a 5700 Ultra in there to relieve some stress I couldn't run steam at all! Fortunately a new one's on the way and I get to do all the Super Meat Mans again.

SkutSkut on
    edited May 2011
    Hey guys, I just uploaded my first level to the portal. Surprising nobody, it's a Viridian level themed in a poorly-designed shuttle, complete with saws, lava, and a missile launcher on crack. I tried to design it with the idea that the good Captain would be the only character capable of completing it.

It's called Takeoff.

Oh, and don't rate it up if it sucks just because a fellow forumer uploaded it. If you don't like it, rate accordingly. Let me know what you think!

joshofalltrades on
    edited May 2011
    Has anybody else been trying some of the custom levels in the Portal? There's a lot of shite in there (to be expected, I suppose). It's sort of like LBP in that it helps to know what's decent before you start. Some of the SMB forumers' levels are all right. I guess they've been devmoding for a lot longer than most.

joshofalltrades on
    edited May 2011
    I'm about to get ready for work so I only had time to try to beat it once, but I liked it a lot Josh. Tricky but not blatantly unfair. I gave it five stars which I think it deserves, though admittedly I haven't played any other user-created levels yet against which to compare it.

How on earth is the par time 3 seconds though??

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

edited May 2011
    The par times are messed up, it's a known bug that will presumably be fixed in the next update.

It's supposed to be a 10 second par. And thanks! The tricky part was actually detailing the level. There aren't any stars or thruster flames or anything in the default tileset, so I had to do some major improvising.

joshofalltrades on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

It crashes on start up. Before I put a 5700 Ultra in there to relieve some stress I couldn't run steam at all! Fortunately a new one's on the way and I get to do all the Super Meat Mans again.

It started crashing on startup after this last update for me, too. :-/

I finally figured out the cause was that I was clicking outside the window to minimize steam before the title screen appeared. If I don't do that, it works alright. But yeah, you've probably got different issues.

Frem on
  • Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I've had Super Meat Boy for awhile now, but I've always used the keyboard while playing it. I got kinda frustrated with it cause it was just awkward to use it. Only got up to chapter 3.

Recently I got a wired 360 controller, and started playing again.

Holy shit. It was like a beam of light came over me. I was fucking tearing shit up. I just beat the light world, and I've already A+ all of chapters 1-3. I'm working on the dark world now (up to chap 2 for that), and just getting bandages.

This game is so fucking awesome to play now. I can't believe how much of a difference the controller makes.

If anyone wants to friend me on Steam so I have some times to compare though, please feel free.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If anyone wants to friend me on Steam so I have some times to compare though, please feel free.

I just came into this thread to make the same request. I friended you!!

(my steam name is the same as my forum name)

mntorankusu on
    edited May 2011
    I can't believe how much of a difference the controller makes.

A controller isn't required, but neither is bathing. Think about it.

EDIT:

Also, another shameless plug for the level I just made. Takeoff. Just do a search on the portal and you're VVVVVVing it up.

joshofalltrades on
    edited May 2011
    I tried your level. I like the concept, but I'm not good enough with Viridian to beat it. He's very floaty, compared to Meat Boy.

On the subject of levels, I just uploaded my first one. Called "Gently Disturbed". Feedback is appreciated.

ContentContext on
    edited May 2011
    I tried your level. I like the concept, but I'm not good enough with Viridian to beat it. He's very floaty, compared to Meat Boy.

On the subject of levels, I just uploaded my first one. Called "Gently Disturbed". Feedback is appreciated.

I'll give it a try :)

joshofalltrades on
    edited May 2011
    The par times are messed up, it's a known bug that will presumably be fixed in the next update.

I wondered if that might be the case; like I said, I haven't actually played around with the portal.

But yeah, the theme was neat, and the level itself nicely challenging. :)

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

edited May 2011
    Cool, thanks. :) Well, now that I know how to design levels, I'll get my QFG LP finished up and then I'll move on to SMB. Hopefully they'll have the editor patched up by then.

joshofalltrades on
    edited May 2011
    Gaaah 6-5x. The hardest fucking jump in the game so far, by a huge margin.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

edited May 2011
    Someone on the SMB forums made a handy chart.

4nvHq.png

Good to know, for layering hazards. Browsing the forums made me realize I was using Shift to scale, instead of Ctrl, which was causing my objects to slide. Now I can make larger levels. On that note, I uploaded a new one, "Epistrophy".

ContentContext on
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I finally played around with some user levels and came to the following conclusions:

1) a lot of people have no sense of difficulty curve. Firstly, almost everything is designed at Dark Cotton Alley or baser levels...which, while I find it disappointing, is fine if that's what you want. I'd just like somethings more on Rapture/Dark Hell. However, the chapters themselves often have no curve. SMB's chapters have amazingly perfect curves which curve right with your learning and skill development.

2) No one seemed to learn from Team Meats whole level design philosophy. The reason SMBs often crazy difficulty works is because the levels are small enough that you don't get ragequit frustrated. It seems that most of the user levels are at minimum the size of The End levels and are often much bigger. Bigger is not better people.

3) color schemes. My god some of the use of color put there is HORRID. It makes it near impossible to see what's going on. Sure SMB had occasional "shadowy" levels but they tended to have fewer moving parts and were never so bad that you could barely make out Meat Boy.

4) I'm not sure if this is the users fault or just bugs with the editor, but alot of time the zoom is kinda wonky. Youre either zoomed way in making meat boy unusually large or - for those afore mentioned huge levels -zoomed way out making meat boy tiny. This alters how he controls, making everything you've learned about controlling him difficult. Combine this with the need for precision from how hard user levels tend to be, the lack of proper difficulty curves in Chapters to even learn the new controls (assuming they are even consistently the same zoom) makes them just frustrating rather than fun.

That went on longer than I had planned. I'm not saying it's all bad - some of the stuff out there is really excellent - particularly levels that let you explore rarely used characters. I'm looking forward to diving into Vexing Vortex on my next day off as I really like the idea of playing with Veridian more.

APODionysus on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've had this for a while, and I'm doing pretty well, but lately I'm getting bored with it. Part of that would be from sometimes hitting jump and he doesn't jump and I die. Then there's this little part of me that doesn't want to clear dark world levels with anything other than Meat Boy, but they're just tedious when I can use Video or Jill and make up for the odd lack of responsiveness I sometimes get. I thought it was my gamepad, but it works fine in everything else. ~Shrugs~ Mostly the Hospital Darkworld, I'm just doing Hell right now. 100% on Light and Dark in Chapters and 2 and in Light Chapter 3.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    I can't get my level proportions up without crashing. :(

Now I'll never be able to recreate something similar the speeder bike level in Battletoads!

SkutSkut on
    edited May 2011
    For those of you complaining about the difficulty of user levels, I made one called Wet Nurse. Check it out!:lol:

SkutSkut on
    edited May 2011
    I've been playing 6-5x for about 45 minutes, getting really good at that crazy jump (because if you've followed my slow progress, I can't just beat a level or even just beat the par time, I want the first time I post to be my best)..... and then within five minutes died twice on the very last, super easy jump between two saws.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

edited May 2011
    FINALLY.

And I'm still three seconds slower than Josh because I was super cautious for the latter parts of the level. Bleh.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

edited May 2011
    For those of you complaining about the difficulty of user levels, I made one called Wet Nurse. Check it out!:lol:

Really?

Anyway, I've got a new one up. Blue Train. Check it out. It seems like every time I upload a level, I remember some detail I forgot to add, shortly afterward. Still, I think this one turned out pretty decent.

ContentContext on
    edited May 2011
    I'll check both of those out right now.

joshofalltrades on
    edited May 2011
    Skut, just... hm. I have one thing to say about your level.
    Bandage GET

ContentContext, Blue Train is pretty cool. I have two minor complaints. First, the aesthetic is very cool, and I can tell you put a lot of work into how the level looks. However, it's tough to tell when and how you're falling off the train. Second, there's a wall at where the train ends that definitely looks like you should be able to interact with it. You end up just flying off the level though.

Otherwise, really great. I rated it 5 stars because I thought it's deserved, and way better than a lot of other stuff I've played.

joshofalltrades on
    edited May 2011
    Skut, just... hm. I have one thing to say about your level.
    Bandage GET

ContentContext, Blue Train is pretty cool. I have two minor complaints. First, the aesthetic is very cool, and I can tell you put a lot of work into how the level looks. However, it's tough to tell when and how you're falling off the train. Second, there's a wall at where the train ends that definitely looks like you should be able to interact with it. You end up just flying off the level though.

Otherwise, really great. I rated it 5 stars because I thought it's deserved, and way better than a lot of other stuff I've played.

It was a joke level, good sir, if that wasn't obvious enough from the title.:lol: I'll get to work on a real level soonish.

SkutSkut on
    edited May 2011
    I know, hence the joke in the spoiler :)

joshofalltrades on