As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The War of Art: Vanguard kind of likes how Satan's asshole smells

RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Critical Failures
208306_sm-16.%20Grey%20Knight%2C%20finished%2C%20with%20icicles.jpg

A lot of tabletop games involve the use of miniatures or other play aids (hand-made dungeons, illustrations, paintings, etc), and this is the thread for them. Herein we talk shop about the full gauntlet of tabletop hobby activities: modelling, painting, sculpting, converting, and many more I am certain I have forgotten. Do not be afraid to ask questions! We all started horribly, and we have no problem letting you know our secret painting methods(in turn, making them not so secret).

There are some great sites out there for painters, converters, etc. While I am not personally big on using them, I know a lot of people do. Feel free to let me know any other sites you know, I'll throw them into this post!
http://www.brushthralls.com/ - A long time favorite of many of the users on these forums, filled with good tutorials

www.dakkadakka.com - While its more community than anything else, the modeling and painting forums are a great place to get advice on things.

In this thread, a number of questions come up often about certain aspects of painting, so this is a small F.A.Q. for questions you have. If any of our regular viewers would like to add to this, just let me know!

Q: I see these beautiful models people post, so why do my models come out so much worse?
A: This is a hard question to answer, although part of it may just be you being critical of your own models. However, there are a few things that mini painters tend to all do, that highly increase the looks of their miniatures. First, you should always use primer on your models, whether plastic or metal. There are black and white primers, as well as coloured ones, such as red and green. I prefer white, but many people swear by the others. Experiment!

From there, it generally goes to base coating, which is what most people think at "painting". This is getting the main colours on parts. For example, you would be putting blue paint mainly on an ultramarine, with gold on certain parts, etcetera. This is also a good place to mention that you should generally water down your paints, especially if you use the main citadel line of paints. Just a few drops of water will really help getting the basecoats done.

The next two steps can be done interchangably, though I prefer to highlight before washing. So highlighting. This is just the practice of painting lighter colours on the raised parts and hard edges of a miniature. For example, lets take an imperial double eagle(the one with the two wings and two heads). Lets say this was painted with boltgun silver. You might, then, use mithril silver with a small brush to paint the edges of the feathers. This helps the model really pop, and look more striking.

Washing is the other step here. A wash is a heavily watered down paint, meant to pool in the recesses of a model to create shading and depth. The citadel washes are amazing, quite simply. They just work. Devlan mud works on everything.

Q: Ohh no, I hate how this model came out. Should I just repaint over it?
A: No, that would really kill a lot of the detail. Models are not very hard to strip! Simple green is the commonly used solution to strip a model of paint. Just leave your models submerged in simple green for at least an hour(overnight works better), and take a toothbrush to them to get off the paint afterwards(You probably dont want to use the toothbrush on your teeth later). Acetone can work for metal models, but be careful to make sure they don't have plastic parts; Acetone will eat plastic.

Q: Do I have to use GW's paints?
A: No, although you probably want to use miniature paints of some sort. These include Citadel, Vallejo, Reaper, P3, and other paints. Make sure its a paint meant for miniatures, and that its acrylic, water based paint.

As it always comes up in these threads, here's Ashers method of painting his tyranids
harrison7.jpg

Asher wrote:
Recipe is dead easy:
White undercoat (Skull white Spray)
Paint carapace Bestial Brown in a couple of watered down layers to get even coverage.

Now this is where it varies. For baby bugs, you can skip the next for steps and go to the straight Bleached Bone Layer. For bigger things do the following:

Streak inwards with a large brush using a 60/40 Bestial Brown/Bleached bone mix. Maybe go 1/2 to 2/3 of the length of the plate with this layer.

Then do the same using 40/60 Brown to Bone instead. Obviously you don't streak in as far.

Then you streak in using straight Bleached Bone. Use a small brush and have a lot of patience to get a good result. You can see in that picture about how far to go in.

Now, once again it depends on whether you're painting a baby bug or big bug. For Big Bugs, I carefully wash any recessed areas with Devlan mud, then go back with Skull White to tidy up any accidental splashes. Baby Bugs don't need this step.

Then, go ahead and wash the whole thing with Badab Black. You can water it down to keep the look a bit brighter if you want.

Then go back and re-streak with straight Bleached Bone again. This will give the edges of the carapace some nice depth.

Final step, Big Bugs only, mix 50/50 Skull White and Bleached Bone and do some selective streaking on the carapace to add a bit of highlighting. I haven't done that in that picture.

Hope that helps!

and of course... The Showcase.

Sevorak
photo5.jpg

Altmann
5192983904_279d058f12_b.jpg

Dayspring
ratogres2.jpg

Asher
althran4.jpg

Matrias
IMG_2126.jpg

Mago
5118244469_dc6b526402.jpg

Zatar
baterminator2.png

J
irondreadcloseup20029.jpg

Morskittar
5364950090_f0e3416906.jpg

Niklas
barbarian.jpg

Althai
ruby1xv.jpg

It Burns
P1290147.jpg

Raslin
Captain1.jpg

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
Raslin on

• MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Nice post as always Raslin. You have to love the showcase!

Mago on
    Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, that's awesome. There's some pretty badass painters around here.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also, I'd like to point out the showcase is never ranked in any way. I just troll through the old thread and its basically first seen, top on the showcase. Generally.

Raslin on

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Damn, I saw a mini of a troll reading a book... somewhere. It might've been CMoN, but I can't find it now. It would've been perfect to illustrate your post.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Going to try to finish my terminators this weekend, then I'll go back and do some group shots since I'll have all my infantry painted. Hopefully something can make it into the showcase.

Anon the Felon on
    edited May 2011
    It's been a while since I posted anything, unfortunately I only have WIP for you.

So I'm working on a Blood Bowl pitch. The idea is, keep the pitch simple and try out the airbrush with some stencils to make the squares and hopefully also a cool logo. Transportability is not a priority as it will probably mostly be used at tournaments and finals.

So I made it really simple using board and some lists:
    5691469698_f49347a926_z.jpg

I have given it texture and painted it as well.
    5691468034_3a31a061fc_z.jpg

Next up is flock, sealing it and then trying the stencils...

Also, I'm working on a new Human team. Here is a sneak peek at one of the Blitzers:
    5690895479_f34c8e5e0f.jpg
    5691468654_4558d82123.jpg

Mago on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man I just realised I haven't posted any painted stuff in ages, just WIP. Oh well.

Anyway; question: White armour, particularly power armour. How I maek gud?
    White base-coat and call it done seems a bit naff somehow so I guess I need to build up to white from something but what?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited May 2011
    I haven't done this myself, but I would try a basecoat with Astronomican Grey and work it up from there.

Mago on
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So many Blood Angel models in the OP... so proud

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yay sentinels.

They have done well for me too. Hopefully next thread it'll be my baneblade.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Still love the chick on the dino

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
    edited May 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Man I just realised I haven't posted any painted stuff in ages, just WIP. Oh well.

Anyway; question: White armour, particularly power armour. How I maek gud?
    White base-coat and call it done seems a bit naff somehow so I guess I need to build up to white from something but what?

If you're all gw paint, I'd probably suggest dheneb stone to bleached bone, then mix bleached bone with skull white in progressive layers.

Raslin on

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Question about simple green - should I water this stuff down? The bottle has diluting instructions, but that's obviously for cleaning, not stripping plastic mans.

-Loki- on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I use it undiluted.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Everything I've read says that 100% strength is fine. Some people say they softened the plastics, but they were definitely the minority.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Will it eat resin and green stuff? My Carnifex has a resin base and green stuff holding its arm socket magnets in place.

-Loki- on
  • SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ahhh that new thread smell.

Day, I hadn't ever seen that dude before but it might be my new favorite Skaven scheme ever.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
    edited May 2011
    I saw Daysprings Skaven log over at warseer (I think it was him anyway, that rat ogre is identical). Have to agree, the muted colour and emphasized green is really good.

-Loki- on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arghhhhhhh, I hope I can be worthy for the next showcase.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks dudes! I kinda got burned out on my Skaven, sadly. They're cool but I don't think I'm cut out for horde armies much. I am on warseer but I've also got all my Skaven stuff on my blog.

I'm still waiting on my paints to arrive in the post so I can get on with my Dark Eldar.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My current painting goal is to finish up my stuff before the Nova Open.

After that, I'm going to paint up a big mek to the absolute best of my ability, because I *AM* going to have something worthy of the next OP.

Until then, I will continue to stew in my own mediocraty.

Heffling on
    edited May 2011
    I've set a goal for myself to finish one of my Hormagaunt broods this weekend. 4 are finished and based, 8 are primed red with the armour and claws redone black. Just need to touch them up with blood red, give them a devlan mudbath, redo the red and highlight the armour and claws and paint the teeth.

Hopefully I can get this done by the end of Saturday, then I can move onto finishing either my Gargoyles or Termagants. I want to get my Nids finished by the time I order my Vampire Counts, which should be in about a month or so.

-Loki- on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ya'know, I don't think I've ever posted anything I've painted here.

Huh. That'll have to change this summer.

e: I will fix that by posting terribly taken pictures of my stuff that may or may not be finished (I don't remember) from a while ago!

IMG_1121.JPG
    DSC_0028.JPG
    DSC_0017.JPG
    DSC_0029.JPG

SJ on
    edited May 2011
    SJ wrote: »

Time to put up or shut up. Warhams cred on the line.

TheLawinator on
    edited May 2011
    SJ wrote: »

Something I have often yelled at you for.

But we all already know that it looks bad and you should feel bad ;)

Raslin on

edited May 2011
    both of you missed my edit you guys suck

SJ on
    edited May 2011
    You're bad and should feel bad.

TheLawinator on
    edited May 2011
    My statement stands.
    <3

Raslin on

edited May 2011
    actually yeah my roommates camera setup is awful for taking pics of minis, i do feel pretty bad about that

also i was never really satisfied with those marines, they're just so damn boring to paint unless you go out of your way to make things interesting

like shark teeth

SJ on
    edited May 2011
    Raslin wrote: »
    My statement stands.
    <3

Totally did not read the 2nd part of your post.

TheLawinator on
  • NiklasNiklas SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Haha, my Barbarian in the OP? :)

Stand by for more Ultramarine goodness. I've been painting!

Niklas on
    edited May 2011
    Mago wrote: »
    It's been a while since I posted anything, unfortunately I only have WIP for you.

So I'm working on a Blood Bowl pitch. The idea is, keep the pitch simple and try out the airbrush with some stencils to make the squares and hopefully also a cool logo. Transportability is not a priority as it will probably mostly be used at tournaments and finals.

So I made it really simple using board and some lists:
    5691469698_f49347a926_z.jpg

I have given it texture and painted it as well.
    5691468034_3a31a061fc_z.jpg

Next up is flock, sealing it and then trying the stencils...

Also, I'm working on a new Human team. Here is a sneak peek at one of the Blitzers:
    5690895479_f34c8e5e0f.jpg
    5691468654_4558d82123.jpg

I really like the paint and texture of the board. It 's pleasing to the eyes, and could almost pass as a coffee table.

Niklas on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mago, I love that blitzer.
    He is ready for some honourable fisticuffs on the blood bowl field!

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I bought some paints at GW for my orks. I plan to practice on these zombies first though.

ZOMBS.jpg

Seen as they aren't GW minis I didn't really want to wait around for advice. So I have Knarloc, Goblin and Scorpion green. I'm thinking I do a base coat with Knarloc, then paint over with Goblin and then high light with Scorpion? Any suggestions?

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
    edited May 2011
    Also as if the zombies don't look sick like this already. Wow!

Amigu on
    QEz1Jw1.png
    edited May 2011
    Those Zombies look really cool, where'd you pick them up?

Niklas on
    edited May 2011
    @Niklas: Thanks! I'm a bit afraid that I will ruin it with flock and paint... :P

@Dayspring: It's the best of the bunch so far. Kind of hard to find good arms for them all. And he's obviously an old boxer who moved on to the Blood Bowl pitch for whatever reason. Also, sideburns!

Mago on
    edited May 2011
    Niklas wrote: »
    Those Zombies look really cool, where'd you pick them up?

They're from the Kings of War line by Mantic. Every adventure needs some zombies!

Amigu on
    QEz1Jw1.png
    edited May 2011
    Those things are far too dynamic to be zombies. I'm a huge supporter of the old, shambling zombies.

-Loki- on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That GK in the op is pretty awesome.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
This discussion has been closed.