As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Randomized, Modular, Co-operative Zombie/Human-Killing Boardgame

PurestPurest Registered User new member
edited May 2011 in Critical Failures
Hello Everyone!

I have been following Penny Arcade for a number of years now, but I am not much of a forum-goer. I figured that the community at PA might enjoy this, so I got permission from a mod to post some info about this awesome new table top game.

I have a friend from college who graduated a couple of years back and is trying to make it in the tabletop gaming world. He is an indie-developer and has been working on this concept by himself for around two years. Fortunately, he has made it through development and is now in his first production phase. I would really like to see him suceed with this as I genuinely believe that he has come up with a cool game and has a great attitude about table-top game design as an art; he has expressed that he would love to see his mechanics taken and incorporated into other games.

Enough with the story, this is what I have gleaned about his game, Posthumous Z:

The game is a co-operative team-based "Survivors vs. the Zombie Apocalypse" style tabletop card and dice game. The game is modular, is for an even number of players from 2 to 10, and has elements which are randomized at the beginning of each game. Each player works as part of either the survivors or the horde to win the game for their team.

The game "board" is made of randomly placed area tiles such as, "Grocery Store", "Open Road", and "Gun Store." Each area tile has special attributes which affect the game and an "Event" card which takes place when the area is explored by the humans. The game looks like it plays as a Munchkin-esque dungeon crawl game (my only point of reference for card games :/) with players moving to make it to the outskirts of town.

Along the way humans and zombies jockey for position, hunt for advantage and clash violently. Each player can use a card in lieu of their turn to change the course of the game. Zombies, for instance, have cards which can cause a survivor's gun to run out of bullets or that can cause a survivor to freeze up for a turn.

Both human and zombie characters are also randomized, with humans creating their character and each zombie horde receiving a theme. An example human player's character could be the "baseball star who has military training and also a problem with alcohol". An example zombie player's theme could be the "zombie midgets that come in droves and hunger for the inevitable." Each of the character or theme cards used to create a player's in game embodiment imbue the human character/zombie horde in question with various benefits and/or detriments.

If anyone is interested in learning more, please feel free to check out his Dev Thread on BGG, the game's Facebook page, and the game rulebook for more information.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this post. I hope that some of you will find his work interesting.

Cheers!
Purest

Purest on

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Seems interesting, reading through the rulebook. Only supporting an even number of players makes me uneasy, but I guess games have done well with more strict player requirements (chaos in the old world).

The way you generate characters and zombie hordes is pretty cool.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif