As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Texas may strip away transgender marriage rights

124»

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In a sad way I hope the do this, just so the male-transMale and transFemale-Female marriages can be conducted, and the lawsuits that will cause. Also if god could light more of the state on fire, that'd be cool too.

Oh hey, we're currently suffering from over a million of acres burning, with people losing their homes and lives and livestock. That's quite the nice sentiment you're sending forth there.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    John is born a male. Undergoes sex change operation to become Jane.
    Jane wants to marry Alice. Texas still considers Jane to be a man. Therefore, under Texas law, the marriage is legal.

It just makes a clusterfucky situation even more clusterfucky.

See, if they want to simplify it, just make it

Are both of you an adult? Y/N

IF ADULT GOTO LICENSE

YOU FORGOT TO LEAVE ROOM FOR JESUS
    This is Texas, son. You take your interacial abomination against God back to New Mexico. Maybe they can help you and your friend Mr. Jesus Garcia there, it is called Mexico after all.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jane wants to marry Alice. Texas still considers Jane to be a man. Therefore, under Texas law, the marriage is legal.

IF ADULT GOTO LICENSE

I was at a wedding once where the officiant's speech was all about how there aren't two people in a wedding, there are three: the bride, the groom, and Jesus. And both the bride and the groom have to have a strong relationship with Jesus before they can truly love each other.

My girlfriend and I could barely keep from snickering the whole time at the mental image of a menage a'christ.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011

IF ADULT GOTO LICENSE

I was at a wedding once where the officiant's speech was all about how there aren't two people in a wedding, there are three: the bride, the groom, and Jesus. And both the bride and the groom have to have a strong relationship with Jesus before they can truly love each other.

My girlfriend and I could barely keep from snickering the whole time at the mental image of a menage a'christ.

And that is why Jews cannot feel love.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »

IF ADULT GOTO LICENSE

They can feel love. They just don't believe that love will be their salvation.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »

IF ADULT GOTO LICENSE

They can feel love. They just don't believe that love will be their salvation.

The love that married Jews feel for each other is more like the love that a real man feels for his pickup truck.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

IF ADULT GOTO LICENSE

Hung like this, can always rise again, etc.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, the 3-person marriage thing sounds a bit . . . icky. I understand the sentiment and how it can be beautiful but . . . we are dirty, dirty people, aren't we?

Prior to the day of the wedding, you can know in advance what the priest or whoever is performing the ceremony will say, right?

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Chaos PunkChaos Punk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think marriage laws in general are kind of stupid. I know there are some benefits, but to me it's religious and weird. I just want to keep my girlfriend (unless I find someone more suitable), then die on a golf course when I'm 75 with a bottle of lukasova in my hand. Everybody thinks getting married is some kind of big awesome privilege.

Chaos Punk on
    We are all the man behind the curtain.... pay no attention to any of us
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Chaos Punk wrote: »
    I think marriage laws in general are kind of stupid. I know there are some benefits, but to me it's religious and weird. I just want to keep my girlfriend (unless I find someone more suitable), then die on a golf course when I'm 75 with a bottle of lukasova in my hand. Everybody thinks getting married is some kind of big awesome privilege.

you don't manage your own taxes, retirement funds, mortgage, or insurance do you?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I sure hope your girlfriend never gets sick.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, the 3-person marriage thing sounds a bit . . . icky. I understand the sentiment and how it can be beautiful but . . . we are dirty, dirty people, aren't we?

Prior to the day of the wedding, you can know in advance what the priest or whoever is performing the ceremony will say, right?
    Supposedly. One of my friends married a guy with a really religious family, who insisted they get married in their church with their nutso pastor. They did the whole meeting shit ahead of time, she was very clear that 100% was not going to promise to 'obey her husband' or any such shit....and he just inserts it in the vows, and look at her with this shit-eating grin like "Well, your whole family is watching, what are you gonna do". I thought she was actually going to tear his throat out right there at the alter.

Incidentally, he's now got a major psyciatric disorder and his family is refusing to let him go to treatment and trying to heal him themselves. With the Bible.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

you don't manage your own taxes, retirement funds, mortgage, or insurance do you?

Not sure exactly what you're asking? I do my own taxes every year, pay my mortgage (both of them) every month, put 6% into 401k, and pay into my own private insurance and into state/federal insurances for others. I might be missing something about your question.

Chaos Punk on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

IF ADULT GOTO LICENSE

Yeah, if anything gay marriage should simplify data systems. Have two fields for "applicant" and go to lunch.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Not sure exactly what you're asking? I do my own taxes every year, pay my mortgage (both of them) every month, put 6% into 401k, and pay into my own private insurance and into state/federal insurances for others. I might be missing something about your question.

Those things are cheaper as a married person, bro. There are economic advantages in being married. Also, if you are going to be with your GF for so long why wouldn't you just get married? Are you trying to follow in Gene Simmons STD encrusted shoes or what?

hanskey on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    JihadJesus wrote: »

Supposedly. One of my friends married a guy with a really religious family, who insisted they get married in their church with their nutso pastor. They did the whole meeting shit ahead of time, she was very clear that 100% was not going to promise to 'obey her husband' or any such shit....and he just inserts it in the vows, and look at her with this shit-eating grin like "Well, your whole family is watching, what are you gonna do". I thought she was actually going to tear his throat out right there at the alter.

Incidentally, he's now got a major psyciatric disorder and his family is refusing to let him go to treatment and trying to heal him themselves. With the Bible.

Isn't advantage #164 of being married the right to make medical decisions for your spouse.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To me it's strange that married couples get legal benefits.

Also - that insurance companies lower your premiums based on the logic that you are somehow more responsible, rather than your driving record.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    To me it's strange that married couples get legal benefits.

Also - that insurance companies lower your premiums based on the logic that you are somehow more responsible, rather than your driving record.

That makes sense, though. They use whatever data they can find and are legally allowed to to evaluate the risk of the people they're insuring. If it turns out married people as a whole have better driving records, then they're going to charge them less because they're more likely to be better drivers. Crash and the numbers change, and they change what they're charging based on it.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Isn't advantage #164 of being married the right to make medical decisions for your spouse.
    If they're incapacitated and unable to do so themselves; to force him to get treatment against his will I think she'd have to get him declared incompetent, and he hasn't (so far) been willing to tell his nutso family to shove off. Partly because they think his mental problems are because God is trying to speak to him, and if he'd just end his connection the the non-Jesus centric part of his life (i.e. her) he'd magically be fine.

Their marriage is basically over, and I think she should just let it go. She already kicked him out because his issues were looking....scary, so he's back living with his family. But of course that's not my call.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

If they're incapacitated and unable to do so themselves; to force him to get treatment against his will I think she'd have to get him declared incompetent, and he hasn't (so far) been willing to tell his nutso family to shove off. Partly because they think his mental problems are because God is trying to speak to him, and if he'd just end his connection the the non-Jesus centric part of his life (i.e. her) he'd magically be fine.

Their marriage is basically over, and I think she should just let it go. She already kicked him out because his issues were looking....scary, so he's back living with his family. But of course that's not my call.

If I was her I'd have bailed right there at the wedding ceremony.

That shit is not okay and a huge warning sign.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    The Bible specifically sanctions violence against gay couples: 1 Chronicles 3:3.

Lolken on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

God gave us free will so he wouldn't have to nanny us, "Fix your own goddamned problem that's why you invented doctors!"

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lolken wrote: »
    The Bible specifically sanctions violence against gay couples: 1 Chronicles 3:3.
    The fifth, Shephatiah of Abital: the sixth, Ithream by Eglah his wife

Gosh, I suppose that settles it. God does hate fags. :rotate:

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Eh, the whole thing is a huge clusterfuck. He's actually a decent guy....when he's acting sane, and he's away from his family. I'm not really sure how to help her through it, though. And by 'it' I mean their eventual divorce, whenever it finally happens.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

God gave us free will so he wouldn't have to nanny us, "Fix your own goddamned problem that's why you invented doctors!"

If God is omnipotent and knows everything, how can there be free will? Wouldn't God already know the outcome we chose and what is going to happen to us?

Chaos Punk on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    hanskey wrote: »

Those things are cheaper as a married person, bro. There are economic advantages in being married. Also, if you are going to be with your GF for so long why wouldn't you just get married? Are you trying to follow in Gene Simmons STD encrusted shoes or what?

Absolutely. Here's my pick up line... "Hey babe, You lookin' for a stud? I got the STD, all I need is U!"

Chaos Punk on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

If God is omnipotent and knows everything, how can there be free will? Wouldn't God already know the outcome we chose and what is going to happen to us?
    Why does that matter? If someone you know is very good at predicting your actions(hell lets say 100%) does that eliminate your choice? Why is it different if its an Omniscient God who chooses not to be involved?

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Why does that matter? If someone you know is very good at predicting your actions(hell lets say 100%) does that eliminate your choice? Why is it different if its an Omniscient God who chooses not to be involved?

Yeah, I guess. Seems kind of pointless to put people through a long-winded life of misery so they can choose to worship or deny God when God already knows your ass is going to hell.

Chaos Punk on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It . . . was a joke :?

Basically just venting my frustrations over how people expect God to solve/fix/decide everything for them. God must get hella irritated. And if you think of free will as a gift it is kind of like saying, "No thanks, free will is too difficult."

A tangent, however.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Yeah, I guess. Seems kind of pointless to put people through a long-winded life of misery so they can choose to worship or deny God when God already knows your ass is going to hell.
    Oh yeah, that always been my problem with Christianity. God doesn't seem morally perfect at all.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Eh, I realize that a lot of republicans claim their motivations for working legislation like this is variations on the theme of "god said so" but we should probably try to limit the christianity-bashing asides, lest this thread be declared religious debate and get locked.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

That depends.

Did this 'friend' create the universe, setting a causal chain of events in motion that literally results with 100% certainty in any actions I might perform?

TL DR on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Guys, that discussion has basically been one of the theological arguments that has been going on since Christianity started.

Just fyi.

Fencingsax on