As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Free Comic Book Day 2011: This time, it's free. Also, a day. And, like, comic books.

DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Graphic Violence
Hey, you there, with the face: do you like free things? Do you like comic books? Well then, have I got a high concept for you:

FCBD_wide_logo_800.jpg

Ever since the comic book's invention in 1873 by Jonathan Comicbook, every first Saturday of May has been dedicated to the international holiday of Free Comic Book Day. The intent of this holiest of days is to introduce comic books to those who are not yet fans of the hobby, to celebrate and spread the love of comics, and to lure unsuspecting rubes into dank comic book stores, that we may ambush them and harvest their organs.

Um. Maybe don't tell your friends about that last part.

You can find more details on the official website, but here's a summary of how this sort of thing works:
1) Find a participating comic books store using this tool.

1a) Optional step: Cross reference with this list of signings that will be happening on that same day; you might be able to kill two free birds with one comic book stone, and chat to a creator whose work you enjoy.

2) On May 7th, show up at your comic book store of choice. You might want to get there early, because nerds never pass up a chance to get free things - depending on where you live, lines might be quite sizable.

3) Go and pick up your comics. Some stores only give out a handful of them, some give out one of every FCBD-branded comic. Unfortunately, the only way to really know is to ask veterans of previous years, or to do a lot of legwork on May 7th itself.

3a) Optional step: Go see Thor in theaters (it will have officially come out the day before).

4) Go home and read your fine haul.

5) Go online and complain about how comics were better in previous years, and how all creators are hacks.

6) Once all the vitriol is out of your system, come back here and tell us how your day went. Did you get anything good? Did you strike up a conversation with any interesting characters while waiting on line?

So, tell me, my forum-friends: what are you interested in? What on that list looks good to you?

Me? Sure, I'm looking forward to your Amazing Spider-Mans and your Green Lanterns and your Darkwing Ducks. Most of all, though? I'm looking forward to

Super Dinosaur
SuperDinosaur.jpg

Deadliest Sharks & Prehistoric Predators
DeadliestSharks.jpgPrehistoricPredators.jpg

The Mis-Adventures of Adam West
MisadventuresOfAdamWest.jpg

And who can forget the thrill of Overstreet: Guide to Collecting Comics?
OverstreetGuideToCollectingComics.jpg

Delduwath on

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    3/4 of those will probably be not very good

but they are free so who cares

I am super excited for the Captain America/Thor issue by The Mighty Avenger team

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This, this is the only free comic that matters:

STK435499.jpg

And yet it's part of the "silver" group. Get thee gone, liars of illustrated pulped trees! Such mockery of delightful storytelling shant go unpunished, twixt naught between bluewater's devil and darkness 2.

......Chuck Dixon is writing the Civil War adventure, that should be worth a pickup. There's actually a few worthwhile books from secondary publishers this year that have caught my eye.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Damn it, I'll be just getting back from vacation on FCBD. I should be able to get back in time to hit up a comic shop.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In all honesty, I expect Top Shelf Kids Club 2011 to be one of my favorites. Owly, Corgi, and Johnny Boo are all always a delight.

Yes, I know it's targeted at kids. No, I care not a whit.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Owly is the best.

I expect chaos at the store. We're having a big sale, costumers, local artist, and announcing a convention. It's nuts every year and this will probably be the biggest year ever for it.

Algertman on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Getting FCBD Amazing Spider-man, Archie Sonic the Hedgehog, and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    one of the more comprehensive FCBD rundowns out there, look to see who's doing what in your area as far as creator signings, etc.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dagnabbit, my store didn't have the Mike Mignola book.

Still got Strange Tales, a Tick trade, and two volumes of Shade: The Changing Man for $33, though, along with every other FCBD book that I wanted.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's neato burrito is what that is.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gank wrote: »
    That's neato burrito is what that is.

Yeah that surmises it pretty well.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Free Comic Book Day was awesome, I brought my buddy who has been wanting to get into comics.

I picked up Spider-Man, Atomic Robo, Super Dinosaur and Captain America/Thor. All of which were awesome. Dr. Dinosaur will never not make me laugh.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sadly I will not be able to go to free comic day as it's on the other side of town and my brother does not want to drive/leave the house because of the mother's day traffic

Brainleech on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I grabbed Super Dinosaur and Mighty Fighting Avengers, because my LCS had a limit of two.

I sort of hope to get Spider-Man, The Tick, or Darkwing Duck with my three random issues that come with my order place today at TFAW.

I'd like to see the Flashpoint prologue in Green Lantern, but I'm sure it's probably less than 6 pages long.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    My store had a soft limit of 3 issues but since I'm a regular they said it was fine if I nabbed one or two extra. I grabbed the Avatar/Star Wars issue for my girlfriend.

God Atomic Robo was so good

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It was oddly light today compared to 2010 and 2009 (2009 was friggin huge), which I don't know how to read it exactly, since I went midday the past two times as well. There were just way too many copies of Spider-Man sitting there, beyond simple over ordering.

But I got Thor/Cap, Atomic Robo, and Super Dinosaur. The Flashpoint preview in the GL books looks like it will show up in Flashpoint #1, as opposed to what they did for Blackest Night where it was all-new. And that Chuck Dixon Civil War book really does show you how they amputated arms during the Civil War.

Thor/Cap Mighty Avengers was the best, because duh:

tma9a.jpg

tma9b2.jpg

I also got FF: The End, the Frankencastle trade, and the final trade of JMS' Thor run for half price. So not that bad for me, I do want to talk with the employees on Wednesday to see how it really stacked up.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I really like the Avengerverse that has been created via Mighty Avenger and Fighting Avenger

too bad we will likely never see it again

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I noticed less people as well. I know in 2009 we were all psyched for that Blackest Night 0 issue, and I had just gotten back into singles at that point, but I was even able to convince all my friends to come get it as well.

Last year, I have no idea why it was any busier than this year. There wasn't really any big draw that I can think of, and the same for this year (but then, there were fewer this year, so it made sense).

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone read the ASM book?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, it was pretty good. A bit sillier than most of Slott's run, but that's to be expected since it is going to be read by a ton of kids.

Shang-Chi being Spider-Man's sensei is awesome.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So, that part in Spider-Man, where Peter remarks that Mandrill has the power to control any woman, and then wonders if it'd be un-P.C. of him to think that's an awesome power?

Yeah, that's kinda weird. Because Mandrill's like, a rapist. He's a hairy Purple Man, basically.

If it had been phrased to be influence women, or something like that, I think it'd seem less skeevy. But seeing Peter Parker think about how, gosh it sure would be cool to make women do whatever he wanted? Gross.

The issue itself I was lukewarm on, but that just goes back to my general problems with the current Spider-Man status quo.

However, Captain America/Thor and Atomic Robo were great. Super-Dinosaur was a bit too much of an exposition dump, for me. I also grabbed Escapegoat, from the same people who publish The Stuff of Legend. That was a fun little comic. Reminded me of a Nickelodeon cartoon, in a way.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It was a joke. Sometimes you look a little too much into things.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Peter going "Dang, I'd like an army of supermodels" isn't extra creepy or anything, its a totally normal joke

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Nah, I think that's still pretty creepy.

"Dag, I wish I could bend supermodels to my will, and make them call me 'Master,' just like the furry rapist."

I mean, dude's [strike]ex-wife[/strike] longtime, live-in ex-girlfriend is a super-model. You might think he'd be a bit more sensitive in that regard.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    Nah, I think that's still pretty creepy.

"Dag, I wish I could bend supermodels to my will, and make them call me 'Master,' just like the furry rapist."

I mean, dude's [strike]ex-wife[/strike] longtime, live-in ex-girlfriend is a super-model. You might think he'd be a bit more sensitive in that regard.
    See

you're saying Peter wants to be a rapist

when it is a throwaway gag about how having an army of supermodels would be pretty rad

I sincerely doubt Dan Slott went "Why yes Peter would like to dominate and subvert women to his will by psychic force"

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Nah, I know that, and I'm sure Slott didn't consider that when he wrote it.

I'm just saying there's some weird subtext to the hero remarking it'd be cool to control women. Here's the line: "The Mandrill. Not your ordinary talking monkey-man. He's got a super-power too. Amped up pheromones that-- I'm not joking-- let him control all women. Would it be horribly un-P.C. of me to say that's an awesome super-power? Just look at him! He's got an army of supermodels!"

Again, I know Slott's not literally saying Peter wants to mentally control women. But like I said, on a subtextual level, it's just sort of gross. If it had been phrased in a more ambiguous way (influencing women, manipulating emotions, etc.) I wouldn't be as bothered by it.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    How dare you look at the subtext

What would Jack Kirby think

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kids keep writing to Marvel asking for more rapping monkeys

but kids are terrible spellers.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh god that made me laugh way too much

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm glad marvel used proper sized paper, rather than that weird budget size they had used in the past.

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would say that yes it does seem weird and maybe skeevy

but that is not the intention so I can handle it

Solar on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, downside is that my store was completely out of every free comic I wanted.

Upside?

They were not out of Nick Spencer's Jimmy Olsen one shot from a month or so back, and it is SO GOOD.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    my store ran out of everything a couple hours after open, the owner was on NPR yesterday and I guess it got busy. Plus the new magic set prerelease was tonight so whatever scraps were left got grabbed

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    why didn't anyone tell me the Green Lantern issue was just a reprint of Secret Origin #1

this is lame even for a free comic

shoulda picked up Atomic Robo instead :/

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    why didn't anyone tell me the Green Lantern issue was just a reprint of Secret Origin #1

This is always true, and you suffered a just punishment for forgetting the fact.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So my local raid of the comic book store brings me The Avatar: LAB comic, The Amazing Spiderman, and Super Dinosaur for free shit and a reason to get Fear Itself Book 1&2, The Home Front 1&2, FIS: Spiderman (I love my web-head), Danger Girl and the Army of Darkness, 1st print Age of X (All 9 issues), X-men: Curse of the Mutants Saga 1, and Spiderman Saga 1. Also finally got The Marvel Universe Roleplaying Game core and Guide to the Hulk and the Avengers hard cover that I've been looking for over a year now.

We we so excited, and it ain't even Friday!

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

This is always true, and you suffered a just punishment for forgetting the fact.

luckily i still picked up the Spider-Man book, the Mighty and Fighting Avengers book, and Super Dinosaur

plus i got the first 2 trades of Planetary and the last Whedon AXM trade at a discount and got the first Avengers Academy trade for free!

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My local shop had some freebies, but none of the official FCBD books. I grabbed a free Enslaved: Journey To The West comic and bought an old Eureka miniseries. The owner surprised me with the FCBD Green Lantern HeroClix figure for making a purchase.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I got the two Marvel and the Tick books for myself and the Top Shelf Kids and Sonic the Hedgehog books for my daughter. Then I bought Gorilla Man and The Blue Marvel trades for $20.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Got a pretty decent haul.

FCBD Books:
    Baltimore/Criminal Macabre
    Super Dinosaur
    The Tick
    Locke & Key
    Captain America/Thor

No Atomic Robo though, which was disappointing. Then again, I didn't go until 4 or so. I actually visited a couple of stores and even a Hastings (holy cow. Their FCBD display got picked clean, though I almost grabbed the 10 deadliest sharks book that was still there just to give it a good home. Many of the comic stores (including two Hastingses) in Albuquerque can be reached on a circuit from my house without much detour, which is cool but ultimately futile in today's case.

Anyway, the store I went to was having a bunch of sales: buy two, get one free on all trades; 50% off essentials/shaowcases; half-off tpb table; and a big toy sale I didn't care about. So this is what I picked up:

TPBs
    Phonogram: The Singles Club (Gift)
    Dark Avengers: Ares (Apparently Marvel sold them a metric fuckton of them at half off, which is insanely awesome).
    The Sixth Gun v1 (I'm looking forward to this)
    Thunderbolts v1 (It was half off. This is post-Onslaught Baron Zemo T-bolts. You bastards always crow about it, so it better be good)
    Scalped v7: Rez Blues (I stopped reading Scalped about halfway through, plus the issues I have are awesome)

I've only read the Cap/Thor and Locke & Key books so far, but hot damn I need to start reading L&K. The Marvel book was good, and the general plot reminded me of the one with the Twilight Sword and Thor and the two Avengers teams from two(?) years ago. But Loki talking like a thirteen-year-old was g-d annoying.

Crimsondude on