As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sun City [mini]Phalla - GAME OVER - VILLAGE VICTORY?!

14567810»

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Roles:

Villager:
    You are... A Sheriff's Deputy!

You did it! You're part of the biggest and baddest gang in town, and nobody in the goddamned world can fuck with you. You've got the star. You've got the hat. You have a really really big gun. Go out into the world and put your boots to their necks - they ain't got shit on you or your town.

But wait... every Deputy needs his Sheriff. There's gotta be a guy at the top, otherwise this whole system breaks down. Keel was like a father to you, and Mahkie's everyone's favorite Uncle. The faster the switchover happens the happier you'll be. All you have to do is round up these idiot Pearl supporters and make them understand that nobody rocks the boat in your town.

Power: The Vote! You're more of a follower than a leader - but get enough Deputies together and you don't need a leader - you're just a well armed militia! Use your power to help aim the mob at the person you find most suspicious!

Win Condition: Eliminate all threats to the coronation of Sheriff Mahkie.

Mafia:
    You are... A Pearl Supporter!

Well isn't this a turn up for the old books? Those damn pansies are calling you guys "Pearl's Pigs". Bunch of liberal pussies is what they are. You and your pal Pearl are going to shake up this town, starting with the Sheriff's Office. Things Have Gone Too Far. The Public Needs To Be Shown A Firm Hand. And you're just the one to do it.

First things first - make it clear you won't be going down easy. Take it to all those arrogant sons of bitches who think His Holiness Sheriff Keel walks on water and can just appoint whatever puppet he wants to run the department. You know better. And once the blood starts to flow, your fellow Deputies will know better too.

Power: Feed 'em to the Pigs! They think you're crazy? You'll show 'em crazy. Oink Oink motherfucker! Every day you and your group of Pearl's Pigs can corner two of those assholes and just outright beat 'em to death by PMing your targets' names to the Host. Because THAT is HOW YOU ROLL.

Win Condition: Eliminate all threats to the coronation of Sheriff Pearl.

Guard:
    You are... Sheriff John Keel!

You're corrupt! You're sleezy! You're the rock around which the whole world orbits! That's right, this town is a technological terror, and you're the man who holds the leash. You've done well in your time in the big chair, and the city has done well off you, but now it's time to retire, and you sure as hell aren't going to let the chaos that ushered you into the top office reclaim this town on your way out. Pearl's not a bad man, but you know the truth - the Sheriff's Office is nothing but a gang, and in a gang Authority comes down from the top. You will show them that you still have power in this town - no matter what title you hold.

Power: Not On My Watch! Pearl's goons think they can intimidate their way into getting what they want, but they're wrong. Every day you can shield another player from harm (with the exception of the Vote) by PMing the name of your target to the Host. Nobody fucks with the Sheriff.

Seer:
    You are... Detective Julio Cortera!

Of all the stupid shit you have ever done, this ranks pretty high up there. You're sticking your nose where it don't belong over what - loyalty? To Keel? The man is a thug! But he's also the man who pulled a wet-behind-the-ears Deputy who didn't know any better outta the shit when he didn't have to. You ain't been with the Sheriff's Office for years, but that's not a thing you forget, and Julio Cortera is a man who makes good in the end. So now it's come to this - you're down off the orbital for the first time in 3 years, back in Sun City for the first time in 6, and you've gotta come up with the names of these fuckheads who are going around killing Deputies. You can hear old man Keel laughing now. "What the fuck do you think you're doing, Cortera?" he'd say. "Fucking sat-hopping corp handler gonna walk into my town and pull ME outta the shit? Go back to your rock, you dumb wop!" Well.... he'd probably be right. But that's never stopped you before.

Power: SWEAR TO ME! Okay, so you're a big bad Detective. You have knowledge and skill, and a hundred different avenues of corporate contacts to run down anyone you'd care to name through the all pervasive cyberspace. But this is Sun City, and this is the Sheriff's Office you're talking about. To get the information you need, you're gonna have to dangle a bunch of goons off the side of buildings. It's okay though - you're pretty damn good at your job. Every day you can PM the Host a target, and the Host will PM you that target's role information at the end of the day.

Vigilante:
    You are... Tenma Blade!

In your hand you hold an ancient Japanese Katana. In your blood runs the essence of The Demon. You are judgement and fury! You are justice served in cold steel! YOU ARE SO AWESOME! No wait - that's your online avatar. But still - wouldn't it be cool if you could do that in real life? Fuck yeah it would! You are Tenma Blade, Hacker Extraordinaire, and part of a group that pretty much runs the technical side of Sun City. Unfortunately, this whole thing with Sheriff Keel retiring has had your boss on your ass to make sure that the guy we want, Deputy Mahkie, becomes Sheriff Mahkie, and we get to keep our duckies in a row. Of course, it was assumed that you would be using your powers of technological manipulation to keep the Sheriff's Office in line.

But you got bored.

So why not use your powers of technological elimination instead? There's bad guys out there, and you're gonna fucking nuke 'em from orbit! Or use this sweet freeze ray! Or the THUNDER GUN even though you never really understood the principals behind it, but it's kickass-fuckawesome and so are you! Yeah? YEAH!

Power: I will fuck you WITH SCIENCE! You live in a city of mad technical geniuses who regularly build themselves armored zeppelins with deathrays and shoot each other out of the sky to prove who's got the bigger eWang. These people are your friends. So you're gonna go borrow some goodies, and go Deputy hunting and have a grand old time! Every day you can PM the Host a target and a description of the weapon you want to use on said target. Your target will be eliminated at the end of the day. How awesome is THAT?

Masons:
    You are... Doc Lightning!

Wait a minute... aren't you dead? You're pretty famous for being dead. Or you were pretty famous, and then you ended up dead. I get so confused. Well, dead or not, you go by the handle Doc Lightning and you are probably one of the most (in)famous hackers in the history of cyberspace. Now you work behind the scenes in Sun City, helping to run a group called The Choir orchestrate.. well.. pretty much everything you can get your hands on. It's not quite the adrenaline rush you'd get in the old days, but it sure as hell has set you up with a nice retirement package.

For a dead guy.

Anyway, this whole business with the Sheriff's Office is potentially bad for business, and your partner Valce Lucian assigned one of the new kids to handle it. Only he's gone off the reservation without informing you and you have no idea what the hell is going on. Kids these days. Now you've gotta get your hands dirty and sort out this mess before the wrong man becomes Sheriff. At least you can count on your partner for help.

Power: I'm Not Dead! You're a cranky old man these days, and you can't be arsed to sort out other people's problems on your own. You start out the game knowing that <Blank> is Valce Lucian, and that you share the same alignment and win condition.

You are... Valce Lucian!

Years ago you started collecting the best and the brightest technological minds from all over the world and convincing them to align their interests with that of Sun City. You are the founder of the The Choir, and you are the shadowy hand behind all that moves this Technocratic Babel. Of course, every day is a lot like tap-dancing on quicksand, but you're a skilled player and things go your way more often than not. This thing with the Sheriff though is troubling. Not the least of which is that you already sent an operative to ensure that Mahkie replaces Keel with a minimum of fuss, and now your agent has disappeared. You've tried badgering your second-in-command, Doc Lightning into taking care of the situation, but he's a cranky old coot and won't do anything unless you commit yourself as well. So here you are, taking a personal hand in the situation. It's been awhile, but who knows - this might just be an enjoyable little diversion rather than a huge pain in the ass.

Power: Who Runs Barter Town?! You do! And you're going to keep it that way. You start out the game knowing that <Blank> is Doc Lightning, and that you share the same alignment and win condition.

Serial Killer:
    You are... Annika Fontaine!

Lawyer, Mediator, Consultant, you are the Corporate Infulence Personified. Vast global empires pay you lots of money to solve their problems for them, and you do so with ease and quite a bit of vigor. You're currently on retainer for Turin Global but that's really not why you're in Sun City. The reason for that is because...

You are... Mother Superior!

That's a name that gets bandied about whenever someone inexplicably stabs themselves to death with their own fork in a locked and guarded room. Truth be told, not all the kills they've put on your record are yours, but you've mostly killed the only people who would dispute ownership of said kills and nobody in your world of contract killers has the balls to say a word against you anymore. Because you'd kill them, the little chickenshits. Anyway, as a world class assassin, you've been hired by a Yakuza-owned shell corporation to turn the fight over the Sheriff's Office into absolute chaos. This job is really beneath you, but it's a stepping stone for getting close to the Yakuza's newest Oyabun in San Francisco and then fulfilling the contract you've taken on him. So here you are, slumming it, in one of the crazier towns on Earth. What could go wrong?

Powers: Happiness is a Warm Gun! On ODD NUMBERED DAYS you can kill someone by PMing the name of your target to the Host. This is your job, after all. You're so good at it!

To Me, My Meatshield! On EVEN NUMBERED DAYS you are maintaining a low profile. The first kill attempt against you will be intercepted by one of your bodyguards, and any seering attempts made against you will show that you are Annika Fontaine, Survival Neutral. Remember that neither of these powers will be in effect on Odd Numbered days!

Win Condition: Eliminate everybody. You like to be thorough.

This update was sent to Capfalcon once the mafia was eliminated from the game:
    Ringo wrote:
    The Rogue Deputies have been destroyed!

That means that it's all up to you to eliminate the rest of the field!

As of now, you must abandon your cover role, (To Me, My Meatshield is no longer a viable power) and go forth and KILL! (Happiness is a Warm Gun is now an every day power)

GOOD LUCK, MS FONTAINE

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Proboards:

http://balls-of-steel.proboards.com/index.cgi

is the mafia board, which I have unlocked.

http://recroom7.proboards.com/index.cgi

is Void Slayer's board which I do not have the power to unlock

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow. It really came down to just one person left?

FecklessRogue on
  • Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I cant believe the last day actually went down like that, this being my first phalla I didnt really clue in to the fact that the neutral had to be killed for the village win until the night I died. I almost fell over laughing when Sigmund and void went after dani considering she and sigmund were both a part of our network. All in all a super fun game and a great first experience with phalla, it was awesome to be a part of the village network right from day 2. Thanks for hosting Ringo.

Mr. Mojo Risin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wow. It really came down to just one person left?

Serial Killer had the game if he hadn't been screwed by those awful draconian tie-vote rules.

Also, if he had remembered to send in a kill on Day 5 :P

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's pretty awesome how that worked out.

FecklessRogue on
  • Options
    ExtermatottExtermatott Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Our terrible mafia was terrible, seriously, we didn't do anything.

Extermatott on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Three blocked kills (two against Void, one against Capfalcon) plus lining up for slaughter by all being in the Feckless wagon to save you didn't help

But I was highly amused when Stever tied the vote between you and Feckless, Extermatott. Without Void Slayer getting cold feet on the tie, that would've been two dead mafia by your own hands :(

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ringo wrote: »
    But I was highly amused when Stever tied the vote between you and Feckless, Extermatott. Without Void Slayer getting cold feet on the tie, that would've been two dead mafia by your own hands :(

I honestly thought void might have been playing me the whole time at that point, I was sure stever was mafia and that bandwagon made me even more suspicious of extermatott then void broke the tie and saved both stever and extermatott. It didnt help my suspicions any that 2 of our first 3 seer targets were killed the night we seered them and the third would have killed himself if not for intervention by the seer himself.

Mr. Mojo Risin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Let's remember one thing from this, guys. SKs are also survival neutrals. And survival neutrals with kill powers are 99% likely to be SKs.

And the person who blocked the seer from being killed is not your enemy.

Void Slayer, you have redeemed yourself and because of your virtue, we win! Hurrah!

Sigmund, you're on notice!

daniant on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for hosting Ringo. Fun premise, good game.

Hooray for a village win! I was worried it might be ruined on the last day, but good job. The mafia did a good job of all jumping on one wagon, which helped.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also, it looks like somebody threw up on your proboards. :P

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, thanks Ringo! I may not have been alive to see it, but Go Village.
    and by village, I mean Void Slayer, who now rules the town with an iron fist.

FecklessRogue on
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This. I get really pissed when this happens. Though it probably didn't help that we were five mafia with two kills.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yep. This game took longer to get started than I was expecting, and the first two days I was slammed with work so I wasn't doing shit. I should have just stuck with only Elementalist Phalla. So it goes.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    wow, seriously.... how did you almost throw the game there?

I mean.... that's a pretty impressive feat to kill all the mafia 2 days ago, kill all the vanillagers the next day leaving the seer, the guard, a prooved mason and a SK and STILL almost vote out the guard to let the SK win....

I mean... how?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Apparently both sigmund and void left their brains at home this morning, I'm still trying to wrap my head around their train of thought on killing dani.

Mr. Mojo Risin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This. I get really pissed when this happens. Though it probably didn't help that we were five mafia with two kills.

??

This is pretty standard for a 25 person mini?

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    wow, seriously.... how did you almost throw the game there?

I mean.... that's a pretty impressive feat to kill all the mafia 2 days ago, kill all the vanillagers the next day leaving the seer, the guard, a prooved mason and a SK and STILL almost vote out the guard to let the SK win....

I mean... how?

Well, the SK role was specifically setup just to ensure these kind of shenanigans, so I'm happy that we had villagers who could provide such results

Yay villagers!

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thank you for running it, by the way. It was really fun to watch that last day from the sidelines.

FecklessRogue on
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

??

I mean there was shit-all for people to discuss. Pretty much boiled down to "okay who are we killing tonight?", followed by 23 hours of silence.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Network boards should be open, not much there though.

Thanks for running the game Ringo, dani, I can not explain because I do not know what I was thinking honestly.

Every game I head the network turns into a bloody, senseless tragedy.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    daniant wrote: »
    Wait a second, what?

So the village is following Capfalcon, a known neutral...who has a vig power...ie the serial killer...

And voting off their guard. This is my win condition: Eliminate all threats to the coronation of Sheriff Mahkie. I fended off a hit on Void. I suggested you kill off The Anonymous because I noticed his suspicious behavior.

My reward, after saving your bacon, is to be voted off. Well, silly geese, I'm not locking my vote. I'm going to vote at around 5:45ish so you can re-think your terribad strategy here.

I will die tonight, but I really think that Void and Sigmund should change their vote to the obvious person here: the lady in black.

Hmm. Looks like bad form here. 8-)

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    edited May 2011

??

I mean there was shit-all for people to discuss. Pretty much boiled down to "okay who are we killing tonight?", followed by 23 hours of silence.

Ah yes. Lack of actual discussion really bothered me as the host, so I already have an idea for my next mini that will address this. It goes like this: I will be giving everybody an action and saying, "I don't know and I don't care how to balance this mess. You have seven days to complete your objectives. Good luck!"

We'll call it EnderPhalla.

t stever, Are you talking about Dani quoting the village win condition? While it does technically go against the "Do Not Quote your Role PM" rule, it is also the reason why the village win condition is posted for everyone to see in the second post - so that anybody could claim it and pretend to be a villager convincingly.

Also - to those that enjoyed it, I'm glad you liked it! I was pretty pleased with the narrations and such, even if I was just rampantly cribbing from songs, books, and movies, it was still fun to write. Not sure how much I liked having to be home in front of my computer every night at 6pm. I may just have to write off our Euro-brethren in the future and push vote close to a time I'm more willing to be home (sorry Wildcat!). And yeah, rampant inactivity and lack of discussion was a definite bummer. I probably won't be running another one of these unless I'm ready to give every player a nightly action to perform.

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No. Her post after being accused looked a lot like mine, which she said was in "bad form" and freaking out only makes you look more mafia. Just sayin'...
    But the luv is still there.

stever777 on

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Congrats & fun game, Ringo!

stever777 on

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, just out of curiosity. Would I have won if Dani had eaten the vote, since then it would have been me and someone else?

Also, for why I missed my day 5 kill:

Unfortunately, our teacher said we had to redo our whole presentation for Senior Design, so I had to decide between playing Phalla and graduating.

I was debating about trying to get myself seer'd on an even day when I had my neutral shield up. But, I figured that it would be suspicious once the game started to narrow down. How did people know I had a kill, out of curiosity?

Otherwise, great game, and really close.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    SnitSnit Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ALL ME

Snit on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yes, if dani won the vote, you sniped Sigmund (dani had guarded Void again), the two of them died.

Seeing as how actions came before the vote, you would then kill Void at your leisure the next day, so I would've ended things as an SK victory today.

As to the kill thing, I believe they were speculating and treating it as fact.

Also - Thank you Snit, fo giving me the opportunity to kill a Spectrum Ranger

I do so love killing Spectrum Rangers

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    stever777 wrote: »
    No. Her post after being accused looked a lot like mine, which she said was in "bad form" and freaking out only makes you look more mafia. Just sayin'...
    But the luv is still there.

Except mine is also a reveal and hits key points about saving Void's life and pointing out The Anonymous to kill. So, yes I did freak out. But the seer was voting his guard out. So I had every reason to freak out and thank God I did or the SK would have won.

daniant on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Network boards should be open, not much there though.

Thanks for running the game Ringo, dani, I can not explain because I do not know what I was thinking honestly.

Every game I head the network turns into a bloody, senseless tragedy.

I still love you. And you are a great mafioso. So don't worry about it. We won!

daniant on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Even though I was far from active, I really enjoyed this game. Ringo is a pro and should run more games. Loved loved loved the narration.

This is probably a triple post, but that's how I roll.

daniant on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well not a great one. I died first of them but it was fun!
    (Unless you were talking to Void...)

stever777 on

• Options
    ExtermatottExtermatott Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yes, if dani won the vote, you sniped Sigmund (dani had guarded Void again), the two of them died.

Seeing as how actions came before the vote, you would then kill Void at your leisure the next day, so I would've ended things as an SK victory today.

As to the kill thing, I believe they were speculating and treating it as fact.

Also - Thank you Snit, fo giving me the opportunity to kill a Spectrum Ranger

I do so love killing Spectrum Rangers

Also, even if the vote and actions happened simultaneously, don't SKs only need to kill everyone else, doesn't it not matter if they survive?

Extermatott on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the game Ringo, had fun!

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    So, just out of curiosity. Would I have won if Dani had eaten the vote, since then it would have been me and someone else?

Also, for why I missed my day 5 kill:

Unfortunately, our teacher said we had to redo our whole presentation for Senior Design, so I had to decide between playing Phalla and graduating.

I was debating about trying to get myself seer'd on an even day when I had my neutral shield up. But, I figured that it would be suspicious once the game started to narrow down. How did people know I had a kill, out of curiosity?

Otherwise, great game, and really close.

Up until I died I didnt really catch that you were the one who had the kill I thought it might be you but wasn't sure, the odd day vig mechanic had me thinking it was one of the day 2 inactives with the kill. Once I died though there was no one else left who could have concievably had the kill. It also didnt help that gareth didnt use a kill until day 4 or whatever, and even then he was only revealed to void and not the rest of us because apparently void still didnt totally trust the network.

Mr. Mojo Risin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for running this, Ringo! Sure was rootin' tootin' fun!

Wildcat on